Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Camp Ground Owners' Response To Review
Texasrvers
post Mar 15 2014, 02:54 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5452

Unfortunately we get this all the time. Usually it is the park owner who contacts us to report that the rate listed for their park is not correct. We explain that it is the rate the reviewer reported that he paid, and we have no way of knowing if it is accurate. It could reflect a discount, it may be a prorated weekly or monthly rate, it may contain the taxes; there are lots of variables, and it is something that I think we need to better clarify.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
docj
post Mar 15 2014, 03:14 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 45503

I think we ought to consider having the system show the range of prices reported. That way someone would see something like $35-45 and know the approximate price before they bother to pull up the park's website. The range could continually be updated but it would at least give the reader some guidance. IMHO showing one aggregated number is meaningless.

--------------------
Joel Weiss
2000 Beaver Patriot Thunder--Cat C12
2014 Honda CR-V EX-L toad
WiFi Ranger Ambassador
RVParkReviews.com Administrator
Share our adventures at: Weiss Travels
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
dalsgal
post Mar 15 2014, 05:58 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 14080

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Mar 15 2014, 03:54 PM) *

Unfortunately we get this all the time. Usually it is the park owner who contacts us to report that the rate listed for their park is not correct. We explain that it is the rate the reviewer reported that he paid, and we have no way of knowing if it is accurate. It could reflect a discount, it may be a prorated weekly or monthly rate, it may contain the taxes; there are lots of variables, and it is something that I think we need to better clarify.

I think the people reading the reviews should be savvy enough to know that they should check the website for pricing. This man gave the CG a bad review because he didn't bother to check for himself. The CG should not have been held responsible for his laziness.
+Quote Post
Texasrvers
post Mar 15 2014, 07:02 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

QUOTE(dalsgal @ Mar 15 2014, 06:58 PM) *

I think the people reading the reviews should be savvy enough to know that they should check the website for pricing. This man gave the CG a bad review because he didn't bother to check for himself. The CG should not have been held responsible for his laziness.

I agree. I was just trying to say that there are a lot of variables for a reviewer to consider when listing the price, and I do not think we give them very much guidance. As a result we might see a rate of $40 followed by $20 if someone got the Passport America discount. If the two rates are fairly close together or if there are lot of other $40 listed, someone should be able to figure out that the regular rate is probably $40. But if there are a lot of $20 listed with no explanation that it was PPA, it could lead someone to believe it is the regular rate. In any case, the wise person always checks the park's website.

I'm pretty sure I know which review you are referring to, and I am betting the numerous low rates are monthly rates divided by 30 to get the nightly rate. This is why I think we need some standardization as to what rate is used.
+Quote Post
HappiestCamper
post Mar 15 2014, 08:06 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15651

If the idiot had bothered to read the reviews that had those low rates, he would have seen where the reviewer stated that rate reflects Coast to Coast or Passport America.
+Quote Post
Florida Native
post Mar 15 2014, 08:13 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4762

We always mention the Passport America when talking about the rate, membership in PPA can be flexible and campgrounds go in and out. We always check with their free phone app to be sure. When arriving at a campground, it is nowhere full, we are not above asking for a discount and usually get one. Something is better than nothing.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Fitzjohnfan
post Mar 15 2014, 10:00 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41655

So far, you folks have only mentioned discounts such as PPA and Coast to Coast, but like Texas said, alot of things can affect price. When i write a review, i put down what i paid, but my price reflects a 30amp hookup, two kids, pets, no tow vehicle, and frequently i get electric only. I also get an FMCA discount (if available), but not Good Sam or KOA. I think the only way to show price is to show a range from low to high of what has been paid in the past, or maybe "average price per night".

I can see where park owners and campers can both be hurt by comparison shopping by price without thurough research.

--------------------
Chris G.
Westminster, CO
FMCA: F3508-S
1989 32' Southwind MH
+Quote Post
Florida Native
post Mar 17 2014, 07:27 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4762

There is almost always a link to their website which usually states their prices, With the advent of cell phones, you can call for free also. Generally speaking, the more in advance you pay, the higher the price will be (discounting increase as the date gets closer).

--------------------
+Quote Post
ewald628
post Apr 27 2014, 10:16 AM
Post #39

Group: Moderated
Member No.: 75672

QUOTE(hoefler @ Nov 1 2013, 06:56 AM) *

I do the same thing as stated above. I even go one step further, I will look at the negative review's author's history of parks they have reviewed. Some times they have a slew of bad reviews, then I just ignore anything that reviewer states.

Dutch I do the same when looking at reviews its the overall and I understand you cant please everyone. I am from MiddleGrove in Saratoga county and not far from Sacandaga. Just finished posting the last 3 campgrounds we stayed at in KY.
+Quote Post
NYDutch
post Apr 27 2014, 12:01 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Group: Validating
Member No.: 35147

QUOTE(ewald628 @ Apr 27 2014, 12:16 PM) *

Dutch I do the same when looking at reviews its the overall and I understand you cant please everyone. I am from MiddleGrove in Saratoga county and not far from Sacandaga. Just finished posting the last 3 campgrounds we stayed at in KY.

Welcome to the forum! Heh! I know right where you mean. For about ten years, we lived in a house I built up on the mountain near Lake Desolation before we renovated our summer cottage at Sacandaga for year round living. smile.gif

--------------------
Dutch
Somewhere in the US or Canada
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
n5lfh
post May 14 2014, 12:29 AM
Post #41

Member No.: 2002

I could do without the price rate box, but to some it gives them decision info. For planned stops, I like calling to ask if they have a vacancy, can my coach get around, how the utilities and wifi are working...TODAY. We do make instantaneous decisions when broke down, for weather, tired, no net service or ???, but feel lucky someone is there and can just pull in if the unexpected happens...cost is not a high priority under those conditions.
I very seldom mention in a rating, personal and beyond the owners control issues. Most park owners didn't know future campers and tow/trailers would be 45'+ long, weigh 50,000#+, need TWO~50A, 120V power legs and slides that double the width of the RV.
We recently stayed at a park under development...3 years in the making. The owner explained his present accomplishments and future ideas...Today it's 35 FHU sites developed out of his pocket next door to his home on a major highway with his farm land on the other 3 sides. Everything underground including future necessities is over spec'd, roads/base are heavy haul, all pull thu sites, all gravel and instantaneous wifi. NO bathrooms or really any other facilities. Now that the campers have packed his roads and sites, he's ready to start installing level concrete pads and asphalt roads. At $17 per night, he's paid back his investment and has covered his phase 2 material. He'll increase his prices to $23 after phase 2 and $32 after the final phase (most typical park facilities/amenities). He has considered 140 sites max, but has a start that has drawn satisfactory reviews, labeling the park as an overnight stay. He feels his return customers will make this successful because he started so simple.
+Quote Post
GaryWT
post Jun 28 2014, 08:57 AM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 480

I go on one site that owners can respond and it is interesting. One campground thanks people for good reviews and explains things of bad reviews. One bad review they asked the reviewer to call them as if they really had the issues they claimed, they would refund their money. The review disappeared after a week or two. Another site lets anyone comment on a review which can be interesting.

I find a lot of times the rating does not match the write up, great place etc etc but the get a 1,2 or 3 for various reasons. As someone else said, the weather. Other good ones are our friends had to pay a visitors fee (have yet to see a campground that did not charge), neighbors were noisy, had to pay 25 cents to shower so the next guy can have hot water as well and on and on.

Talking to an owner, they usually know who posted the negative review because something happened during their stay which the owner knew about. One that I remember, they told my 12 year old that could not go in the adult only hot tub.

Anyway love to read the reviews and if improvements are made, should be good. I remember the days when they would post on the site, going camping, no new reviews will be posted for a week or so...
+Quote Post
vincee
post Jul 12 2014, 10:43 AM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 36179

I think it would be a great idea to have a thread where campground owners can respond to complaints and criticism's of their business. Maybe they made upgrades, or plan to, since the review or they made a change of personnel or what ever, they should have a chance to set the record straight from their perspective.
+Quote Post
Texasrvers
post Jul 12 2014, 12:21 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

QUOTE(vincee @ Jul 12 2014, 11:43 AM) *

I think it would be a great idea to have a thread where campground owners can respond to complaints and criticism's of their business. Maybe they made upgrades, or plan to, since the review or they made a change of personnel or what ever, they should have a chance to set the record straight from their perspective.

A completely updated site will be introduced soon, and we are working on a way to allow this.
+Quote Post
vincee
post Jul 13 2014, 11:29 AM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 36179

Looking forward to the upgrades/changes!
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com