RV Park Reviews

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Absolute Rv Newbies! Help Please!!
gpop
post Feb 16 2014, 12:52 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 85198

Hi, We are living in New Zealand and have traveled and loved visiting the beautifuly diverse USA many times! we have often wondered about hiring an RV..now our kids are 5 and 8..and we are heading back to Denver for a conference (end of May)..we actually arrive in the US on april 25th and need to be in Denver around 15th May , then home shortly after..we have seen a deal to take an RV from Chicago to Denver for $39 per day including one way fee, generator and mileage of 2500..so that seems quite reasonable compared to renting one. We don't know the size until we get there...
I have a few questions for you seasoned Rv ers..roughly how much is the petrol/Diesel cost per day/tank?
And any suggestions on route? We really enjoy the National parks and last year visited Rocky mountain, Black Canyon of the Guinnson, Mesa Verde and Grand Canyon..this time we were thinking to either come in to Denver up the top through Dakota way or alternatively via New Mexico..or as another option, heading over to Great Smokey and then back over to Denver (prob least likely to do this one as a bit far maybe?)

the other thing we are unsure about is camping in the National parks where there have no power hook ups..I take it this means you have no ability to use the shower in the RV or toilet?? As you can see we are really new to this! so if you can direct us to any books on basic use of Rvs or websites..that would be great..thanks alot..
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Jerry S
post Feb 21 2014, 11:56 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 10441

I have to go along with those who are warning that the weather around May 1st in the Black Hills area (Mt.Rushmore, Jewel Cave, and Wind Cave National Parks, Custer State Park, etc.) of South Dakota can still be cold and wintry. According to my weather almanac, typical temperatures at that time of year are lows in the 40s and highs in the 60s. Of course, it could be 10-15 degrees colder or warmer. Although the the above tourist attractions are open, many other things may not be ready for tourists yet. This includes some RV parks. According to Woodall's for example, most of the Custer State Park campgrounds don't open until mid-May. While most commercial parks will probably be open by May 1st, they won't be at peak season level (pools not open, water may still be off, etc. If you do take the South Dakota route, don't forget Badlands National Park 100 miles east of the Black Hills and Devil's Tower National Park (Wyoming) 100 miles northwest of the Hills You may also have a problem finding open RV parks on your way from Chicago to the Black Hills area the last week of April.

Have a great trip.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
gpop   Absolute Rv Newbies! Help Please!!   Feb 16 2014, 12:52 AM
Hutch333id   Hi, I cannot answer all of your question because I...   Feb 16 2014, 02:06 PM
Texasrvers   I’m curious what you meant by “a deal to take ...   Feb 16 2014, 02:36 PM
docj   If that is an "RV transportation service...   Feb 16 2014, 03:48 PM
gpop   Hi, I guess I didn't explain that correctly, y...   Feb 16 2014, 05:56 PM
docj   It sounds as if they want to get an RV moved from ...   Feb 16 2014, 07:04 PM
gpop   Yes, that's right..however..we think it is sti...   Feb 16 2014, 07:13 PM
dalsgal   Wouldn't it be better to fly into some place c...   Feb 16 2014, 07:55 PM
Texasrvers   Your rental plan sounds better now that you have e...   Feb 16 2014, 08:19 PM
gpop   Hi, Thanks for your replies_ and concerns :) the c...   Feb 16 2014, 09:40 PM
docj   FWIW if you want to do the Chicago to Denver route...   Feb 17 2014, 07:43 PM
gpop   Hi docj, thanks..that is route we are tending to f...   Feb 17 2014, 08:02 PM
Fitzjohnfan   I would like to 2nd docj's comment on mount Ru...   Feb 19 2014, 02:11 AM
RLM   Does anyone else see visions of the movie RV? :) ...   Feb 19 2014, 09:58 AM
pianotuna   Hi, Another issue is low temperatures. For exampl...   Feb 19 2014, 04:23 PM
gpop   Hi, thanks everyone for all the great tips.. I did...   Feb 20 2014, 02:56 AM
RLM   The RV is supplied with crockery ect..not sure re...   Feb 20 2014, 07:36 PM
jamarynn1   ...not to mention that snow is still possible in t...   Feb 21 2014, 12:18 AM
Jerry S.   I have to go along with those who are warning that...   Feb 21 2014, 11:56 PM
vincee   Though the Montana and Dakota's are a dream tr...   Mar 13 2014, 11:57 AM
gpop   Hi everyone who offered help, we just returned to ...   May 23 2014, 10:49 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com