Closed TopicStart new topic
> Parks With Lots Of Pop Ups
GaryWT
post Jul 6 2014, 04:48 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 480

Went to a park this weekend and saw more pop ups than I have seen at once in a couple years. Along with pop ups came kids. There were kids running all over having a great time. Maybe it is where I have been going but I don't see it much and it was good to see. What does everyone else see when camping. Do you still see pop ups or everything but...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NYDutch
post Jul 6 2014, 06:03 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 35147

Particularly at popular summer destination parks, I usually see a pretty good mix on weekends, including many pop-ups, smaller TT's, and kids. During the week though, it leans more towards motorhomes and 5'vers with an older crowd

--------------------
Dutch
Somewhere in the US or Canada
+Quote Post
mdcamping
post Jul 6 2014, 07:04 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 14145

My guess a lot of the popups were the younger holiday only campers.

I agree with Dutch_12078 weekday, off season and non destination type parks = older crowd and bigger Rv's. Of course there's always exceptions. cool.gif

Mike
+Quote Post
dalsgal
post Jul 7 2014, 07:49 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 14080

We seldom have pop up's here at our CG. We are not a destination park but mostly for long term folks. We welcome all overnighters in any type of rig. My favorites are the bus conversions.
+Quote Post
Tiffinman
post Jul 7 2014, 12:57 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 87294

Over the years we find that when we go to a inexpensive C/G we see alot more kids... popups....and messy campers. We feel if you spend more you get more of a quality park.
+Quote Post
docj
post Jul 7 2014, 03:51 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 45503

QUOTE(tiffinman @ Jul 7 2014, 01:57 PM) *

We feel if you spend more you get more of a quality park.

With all due respect, I have to disagree. We have traveled over 40,000 miles in the past three and a half years and we have found a number of quality parks for $25 and many not-very-good ones for $65. Parks near major cities, particularly in the East, feel they can charge exorbitant amounts because there simply aren't many alternatives. The price they charge often has little to do with what you get in return. OTOH, out west you can find some absolutely fantastic parks for surprisingly little.

I will agree that the higher the price, the greater the pretentiousness of the park. Some people seem to equate snootiness with quality; we don't.

--------------------
Joel Weiss
2000 Beaver Patriot Thunder--Cat C12
2014 Honda CR-V EX-L toad
WiFi Ranger Ambassador
RVParkReviews.com Administrator
Share our adventures at: Weiss Travels
+Quote Post
NYDutch
post Jul 7 2014, 06:21 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Some of the nicest parks we been in have been state and national parks, typically in the mid $20/night range. One of the noisiest, kid laden parks we've been in recently was an $82/night KOA near Washington, DC. Price does not always reflect "quality", depending on your definition of the word. To my mind, pop-ups do not reflect on a park's quality, one way or the other, nor do tents.

--------------------
Dutch
+Quote Post
mdcamping
post Jul 7 2014, 06:52 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 14145

QUOTE(docj @ Jul 7 2014, 05:51 PM) *

With all due respect, I have to disagree. We have traveled over 40,000 miles in the past three and a half years and we have found a number of quality parks for $25 and many not-very-good ones for $65. Parks near major cities, particularly in the East, feel they can charge exorbitant amounts because there simply aren't many alternatives. The price they charge often has little to do with what you get in return. OTOH, out west you can find some absolutely fantastic parks for surprisingly little.

I will agree that the higher the price, the greater the pretentiousness of the park. Some people seem to equate snootiness with quality; we don't.

Speaking from my home state of CT, yes a lot the high cost has to do with few alternatives but we also have a high cost of living, some of the highest taxes in the country, and one of the most regulated states in the country too, this all translates to an awful lot less for your camping dollar. I think a lot of the other North East States are in the same shape.

Mike
+Quote Post
Tiffinman
post Jul 8 2014, 09:27 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Well ...I can't speak for state parks because we never visit them due to our length restriction. IMHO we see more kids with parents in pop-ups at cheaper campgrounds.....then anywhere else. Although there are kids in more expensive parks but fewer pop-ups ....and better behaved kids.

Just my observations.....
+Quote Post
docj
post Jul 8 2014, 10:07 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 45503

QUOTE(tiffinman @ Jul 8 2014, 10:27 AM) *

Although there are kids in more expensive parks but fewer pop-ups ....and better behaved kids.

On this point I will have to totally disagree. At higher priced parks you may see fewer popups but I don't see any correlation between the behavior of the kids and the price the parents are paying for the site. In fact, there may well be an inverse correlation between the affluence of a family and the obnoxiousness of their "entitled" children.

From your posts it is apparent that you equate money with "classiness" both in type of RVs at a park and, now, in the behavior of the children the RV carries. My experiences in life have not convinced me that these are related virtues. I'm quite content to mingle with the "lower classes"; I'll let you pay the higher prices to mingle with the Prevost owners and other higher class folks.

--------------------
Joel Weiss
2000 Beaver Patriot Thunder--Cat C12
2014 Honda CR-V EX-L toad
WiFi Ranger Ambassador
RVParkReviews.com Administrator
Share our adventures at: Weiss Travels
+Quote Post
Tiffinman
post Jul 8 2014, 01:10 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Yeah....Unfortunately in our society ....money does create different classes. Also kids behavior does vary from class to class. Sorry if you don't agree with my observations.

Obviously you and I frequent different types of campgrounds in our travels....and mingle with different types of folks. We have worked hard and raised our kids to be responsible adults and now we like to travel and enjoy our senior years. We prefer quiet campgrounds with limited amount of kid traffic and noise ...that's OUR choice. We don't look to mingle with Prevost owners....but if we meet folks along the way who own a PREVOST.... it doesn't matter to us. The brand of coach someone owns doesn't make them a better person. We all put our pants on one leg at a time.
+Quote Post
NYDutch
post Jul 8 2014, 02:47 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Your options are pretty clear then, stay away from destination campgrounds that attract the younger set. Look for parks that bill themselves as 55+.

--------------------
Dutch
+Quote Post
Tiffinman
post Jul 8 2014, 03:23 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Thanks Dutch....we try our best.
+Quote Post
Hutch333id
post Jul 8 2014, 06:17 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 36856

QUOTE(tiffinman @ Jul 8 2014, 08:27 AM) *

Although there are kids in more expensive parks but fewer pop-ups ....and better behaved kids.

Tiffinman, from my 25 years experience as a police officer in London, England I can unequivocally state that the worst behaved kids I ever dealt with were those who lived in an area I policed for a few years where the cheapest houses started with a $2,000,000 price tag (and that was 11 years ago). Some of the most respectful, well behaved kids came from families with few means, in hard trodden working class areas but who treasured what they had. The wealthy kids, like their parents, felt they had an entitlement and I was a mere surf only to be seen when they had a problem.

Wealth does not necessarily breed polite, well mannered children. Equally, lower income areas do not always generate squealing, kids with no manners.

Just my observations based on experience and dealing with a broad cross section of the public (on both sides of the Atlantic).

--------------------
2014 Cedar Creek 38fl
2008 F350 6.4 Diesel Dually
Retired MET Police and proud of it
2013. 28 nights camping and 4350 km
2014. 29 nights camping and 3300 km ......so far
+Quote Post
Tiffinman
post Jul 8 2014, 06:23 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Hutch....This is not England . Its the USA. Pick up a newspaper or turn on the TV ....tell me from what class .... most of the misguided kids come from.

I was born.... grew up.....lived and worked in NYC.......I've seen it all.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com