Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fall Foliage tour
Cheryl Fuller
post Sep 28 2005, 05:26 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3340

Has anyone ever done a fall foliage trip in their rig. Of course, it is too late for us to put it together for this year, it is something I was thinking of doing next fall. Was just wondering where is the best place to go and what is the best route.

--------------------
Cheryl
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ebdavis
post Sep 30 2005, 11:15 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 2869

We're certainly not experts, but we did the North East last year, through New York State's Adirondack Mountains, Vermont's Stowe, New Hampshire and Main (Portland) and ending back in Lake Placid. Mid October was absolutely stunning, but you should check the websites for up to date predictions on when the leaves will be at their best. We've just returtned from Old Forge, NY, and the leaves haven't really started yet.
+Quote Post
Cheryl Fuller
post Sep 30 2005, 11:22 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Thanks - what websites can I go to for that info. My in-laws flew to Vermont yesterday and then are going to rent a car and drive form there up to Mass. so I am going to check with them when they get home and see how the colors were. In the high country here in Colorado, the aspens change to gold, but we don't get the beautiful reds and oranges which I love.

--------------------
Cheryl
+Quote Post
Lance-a-Lot
post Sep 30 2005, 05:52 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 326

Here's one http://www.intellicast.com/FallFoliage/
+Quote Post
Lance-a-Lot
post Sep 30 2005, 05:56 PM
Post #5

Here's another site http://www.foliagenetwork.com/
+Quote Post
Lance-a-Lot
post Sep 30 2005, 06:06 PM
Post #6

Here's another foliage website http://www.leafpeepers.com/contents.htm
+Quote Post
Cheryl Fuller
post Sep 30 2005, 08:47 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Lance - thanks a bunch for all the info. I am sure I will be able to find what I am looking for on the sites you gave me. I have found that you can get just about any information you need from all the friendly people here.

--------------------
Cheryl
+Quote Post
campinggirl1964
post Oct 1 2005, 10:03 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2789

We live in Southern Ontario, so just a bit south west of Vermont, Maine, etc. - our colours are just beginning to turn now, which is later in the season than normal. I expect within a few weeks the colours will be beautiful.
+Quote Post
Cheryl Fuller
post Oct 1 2005, 10:11 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

We were in Canada 2 weeks ago. On the drive from Calgary up to Banff, we did see some changing leaves. Actually did get to see some of the beautiful reds. I imagine when it is in full swing, it is quite beautiful.

--------------------
Cheryl
+Quote Post
campinggirl1964
post Oct 8 2005, 06:24 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2789

Hi Cheryl,

How was your Alberta/BC trip? It's gorgeous country, isn't it?

Re the fall colours, the further north you go the more beautiful the scenery, however, in southern Ontario it's still pretty spectacular - especially the Maple trees. IF we are lucky enough to get an early snowfall (yes, I said "lucky to get snow" - my family loves the snowy winters!) the snow looks stunning on the trees that still have their leaves. I have a picture from about 13 years ago when it snowed in mid October (pretty unusual) and the trees in the neighbourhood still had leaves - it's one of my favorite pictures (we had just returned home from a trip to Florida the night before - the temp change was a bit drastic!).

One of the most popular spots for viewing fall colours in Ontario is an area called "Agawa Canyon". They have one day train tours that I've heard are beautiful. Their website is www.agawacanyontourtrain.com - click on "agawa canyon tour train" and it will give you more info. It suggests the best time for fall colour is the last 2 weeks in September and 1st week in October.

I would imagine you'd be best to start in the north and then drive south, as you'd be assured of continuing colour all the way down since the leaves fall sooner in the north than in the south!

The Agawa Canyon would be about an 8 hour drive from Toronto, Ontario or Detroit, Michigan.

Have fun planning your trip. Isn't this site great for that!
+Quote Post
Cheryl Fuller
post Oct 8 2005, 10:08 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Campinggirl, thanks for all the great info. I wil definitely check out that website. Okay, I do question that "lucky enough to get snow"...I hate winter. I love in Colorado and today it was 82 degrees and we are supposed to get our first snow of the season tomorrow night with a high on Monday of 38. I am a transplanted Texan and do not like cold or snow. I would love to live in Florida except for the hurricanes!!!

--------------------
Cheryl
+Quote Post
Allen Gayken
post Oct 10 2005, 09:12 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 4406

We manage the Icicle River RV Park in Leavenworth, Wa and the fall with it's color is beautiful here. The town is a German/Bavarian theme town (very well done) and is a very popular mountain area with rivers, hiking, fishing, bicycling, kyaking and of course shopping. The mountain peaks are 5-6 thousand feet and breathtaking. I'd recommend you include this on your route some time.... spring summer or fall. We're closed in the winter and off to Palm Springs.
Allen and Virginia
Full timers 4 years and counting biggrin.gif

--------------------

Allen and Virginia Gayken
Full-timers.... 4years
Country Coach Allure 30694
Leavenworth, WA
+Quote Post
Cheryl Fuller
post Oct 10 2005, 10:48 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Allan, what part of the state is Leavenworth in? We went to Seattle last year and I loved it and would like to return sometime. That was before we bought our motorhomeso haven't traveled there in it yet. It is snowing here in Denver now and has been since last night so I am ready to go somewhere - anywhere that isn't white right now. My Texas roots are crying out for warmth right now...

--------------------
Cheryl
+Quote Post
Beastdriver
post Oct 11 2005, 07:24 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 408

Cheryl: Leavenworth is not far from Wenatchee and Chelan in Washington State. We were there last year and found it to be a delightful experience with beautiful scenery and excellent German food. We loved the Icicle River RV Resort in Leavenworth and will definitely be going back.
+Quote Post
Cheryl Fuller
post Oct 11 2005, 10:48 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Beastdriver, thanks for the info. I will definitely check out the rv park you mentioned as I trust your judgement. I am hoping to get hubby to go back up to Washington next spring or summer and Leavenworth sounds like a great little town. Haven't seen much from you lately, thought maybe you were off on some wonderful trip.

--------------------
Cheryl
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com