Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Traveling With Dogs, Traveling with Dogs
jmo
post Oct 20 2006, 12:06 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8474

Great thread. We travel with 2 dogs over 50 lbs and 1 cat. Have had no problem and as said as long as no negative attention drawn to them, having 3 should not be a problem. Walking them in all kinds of weather then quick clean to get them back into small quarters took some getting used to for us. At home they have the run of half acre fenced. Glad to see Lucydog an upbeat post by member traveling with Chow and Pit Bulls...in past we have had a Doberman (milder than our cat )and also lovely, sweet Shepherd. People should not force a pet into a social situation like a campground if they do not have the disposition for it.

jmo

--------------------
Kate
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Crittercove
post Oct 20 2006, 04:06 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 9586

If we discover our dogs don't/won't take to camping, we absolutely would not force them to go. I would never do anything that was bad for them. They've been through enough without that. If they are miserable, we will sell the trailer and chalk it up to experience.

We plan to find a campground with private sites, go in the off seasons, and keep them inside with us except when they need to potty or to exercise (on a leash, of course).

We also would not force them on fellow campers. If they bark a lot, we will take them home just like I would take a child having a temper tantrum out of a store. There are people who don't care if they are bothering others...people yakking on their cell phone in a restaurant or talking at a movie theatre or just not caring if they are loud. If my dogs make noise, we will just come back home with our tails between our legs. blink.gif Got our fingers crossed that won't happen as the travel trailer was a big expense for us.

We spent today driving around looking for a suitable campground. The first couple were okay but not a good situation for the dogs, so we kept looking and found something we hope is going to work. We are renting a site that has dense woods on one side, lots of space on the other side so even if someone else camps there, the dogs shouldn't see them. We'll put a small fence around the camper which will serve two purposes - keeping the dogs in should one of them push past us and out the door and making people aware there are dogs there so they don't take a shortcut through that site (which people shouldn't do anyway).

I guess we will find out tomorrow how the dogs do! My husband is there now setting up the camper and me and the dogs join him tomorrow. Fingers crossed!
+Quote Post
COWolfPack
post Oct 21 2006, 02:57 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9253

QUOTE(Crittercove @ Oct 20 2006, 03:06 PM) *

If we discover our dogs don't/won't take to camping, we absolutely would not force them to go. I would never do anything that was bad for them. They've been through enough without that. If they are miserable, we will sell the trailer and chalk it up to experience.

Hope your dogs do well on the camping trip, Crittercove. That could be an expensive lesson if they don't. We had camped with our dogs in a pop-up before we bought our travel trailer so we new the did well before hand. Our blue healer/australian shepherd mix took at little longer to get used to camping than our other 3 dogs. The first couple of times she was a little wary but she does a lot better now and likes going camping. If your dogs don't do as well as you hope the first trip I wouldn't throw in the towel right away. Take them a few times and they may improve as they get used to camping. smile.gif

I also wanted to add a bit of advice to other people looking to buy a RV. It may be helpful to rent a RV before buying. If you have pets that have not been camping this is a good way to try them out and you only risk the cost of the rental. Also this is a good way to try out several styles of RV's to see which style fits you best.
+Quote Post
mastercraft
post Oct 23 2006, 01:15 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5797

We have traveled with our golden puppy for over a year now and she loves it. We still leave her in her crate when she is not with us ( Don't trust her yet ). We have a sign in one of the windows stating that there is a pet inside in case of an emergency. My wife got them from some website. After seeing a camper catch fire, we thought it might be important to stick the PET INSIDE decal in the window. I suggest everyone else that travels with a pet do the same.
+Quote Post
rodman
post Oct 24 2006, 09:36 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7857

We would never consider going anywhere without our 2 girls, yellow labs. We even sold our smaller 25' TT to buy a larger 35' because there wasn't enough room for all of us in the smaller one. www.dogfriendly.com/server/travel/guides/camp/campstateCA.shtml This is a web site we use other than this one to find places to go. I have only come accross 1 park that had a size limit, most though do mention breed or agressive type limits. They have been pretty much from coast to mountain and love everything and have been traveling with us since they were 8 weeks old. I believe the only rule is to be respectfull of other campers. We won't go to places that people mention in the reviews as having dogs running loose.
+Quote Post
OKPat
post Oct 24 2006, 03:04 PM
Post #21

Member No.: 9639

We have 4 dogs, and been all over the Western US, with no problems. The last trip to Colorado all the campgrounds had A 2 dog limit. So we checked a lttle more, and found a great camp, and all they wanted was a leash. I would say u can always find a place for dogs.
+Quote Post
jmo
post Oct 24 2006, 05:17 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Hope it all works out Crittercove. We also liked the RV idea so could take our pets and they were older when we started (2003) so unsure but they have been swell. Guy next to us this summer in Myrtle Beach had very energetic, beautiful Shepherd "big" puppy. She was friendly, would playfully lunge but a handful and we love shepherds. He said he was training her so needed to work with her daily, his wife was beside herself that he insisted on bringing dog. Sometimes a man and his dog rolleyes.gif well, his wife and kids and him too (were he to admit it) would have had more freedom and less stress minus the pooch in this particular situation. It's definitely more responsibility.

I felt sorry for her with one baby in arms and another toddler and this guy wrestling with dog when she probably would have preferred time spent with family smile.gif Guess just because we love dogs you can't say all situations are thought-through. We spent many years and dollars on house/pet sitter and they loved her so you have to do what you have to do smile.gif

jmo

--------------------
Kate
+Quote Post
Crittercove
post Oct 25 2006, 09:14 PM
Post #23

I am very pleased to announce the camping trip with the four pooches went well. I was, frankly, a nervous wreck. I could just picture driving up to the gate and all four barking at the park ranger and him telling us to turn around and go home, but as luck would have it, no one was at the gate, so we were able to drive straight to our camper (which my husband had gone the day before with my dad and set up). The dogs did great. smile.gif

The only real problem we had was one dog refused to potty in a strange place and we spent a good deal of our trip walking her. We were gone 48 hours and she would't pee until the 24th hour and then wouldn't go again until we got home. Bless her heart. Hopefully after we've done this a few more times, she will realize it's okay and will go when she needs to. But other than that, they did great. Shew! The only time they barked was when really large, loud trucks/campers went past and that was only a couple times and they settled right back down.

We did several things to put their good behavior in our favor. We parked near the entrance vs. near the lake thinking most people would want to be near the water. We also put up a fence around the camper and we only took them out one or two at a time. One of the two days it poured down rain so they were bored, but even with that, they were good. I was very proud of them...and relieved.

Two of our dogs get carsick...one vomited 5 minutes before we got to the campground and 5 minutes before we got home. So if our trip had been 5 minutes shorter, we wouldn't have had that mess! ph34r.gif But our other dog vomits from the minute we leave the house until we arrive. We have tried benadryl, dramamine, spearmint, and prescription phenergan and often a combination of several and nothing keeps her from throwing up. Does anyone else have a problem with carsick dogs and, if so, what do you use? We put her in a carrier and cover it so she has no visual reference to the movement, but of course, she can feel the swaying of the car. We keep the car cool (even if we freeze) since I know medically you are less likely to throw up if you're cool than if you're warm. Nothing seems to help her and I just feel so sorry for her. She is fine once we arrive at our destination...has no lingering side effects, but she's one sick pup the entire drive.

We hope to go back to the campground in a few weeks and do this again. We found a wonderful state park about 40 minutes from our house. We will only go during the off season because, in spite of the dogs' good behavior, they are still skittish and afraid of people so we aren't going to push it for their sake and for other campers' sake.

Just thought you might want to know how the trip went. While some of our dogs have been camping with us before (when we had a pop up), a couple of the dogs are new to our family and hadn't been, plus anyone with dogs knows the dynamics change any time the family unit changes. One dog may behave a certain way, but with another dog in the mix, may behave differently. So we didn't know how the two that had been before would behave with the two that hadn't. We knew at home they seem to feed off of each other...if one barks, they all bark.

Gotta go for now but will check back soon with more camping questions. I will say that a travel trailer is MUCH different than a tent or pop up camper, so I have much still to learn.
+Quote Post
COWolfPack
post Oct 26 2006, 04:31 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9253

Crittercove,

I found a couple website that may be useful to you regarding your dog's carsickness.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1422
http://www.lucythewonderdog.com/carsick.htm

One important thing to realize is that the carsickness may not be related to the motion but instead related to stress. If it is stress related I do not think that the medication would help. Both of these sites give steps for training a dog not to be stressed during a car ride. From what you described it sounds like it is more of a stress related issue with your one dog. Another thing to consider is that if the carsickness is motion related it would be better to have the dog situated so it could see out the front window of the car instead of being able to see out of one of the other windows or not being able to see out at all.

As for the potty issue, one of our dogs is the same way. We are still working on her with this issue but it is getting better every time.

Glad you trip went so well. Hopefully with a little training you can enjoy more camping trips without having to worry about cleaning up the mess.

Good Luck. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
busyteach
post Oct 28 2006, 08:33 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4432

Glad your test run with your dogs was good. We've traveled with our dog for several years, and sometimes add our daughter's when we're "babysitting". Our Aussie is a little yappy, so we're always carefulw where we park and when and where we walk her. We wouldn't think of leaving her behind and she sometimes goes and stands at the camper door when I'm working in the yard. She's always ready for a journey.
+Quote Post
jmo
post Oct 29 2006, 07:37 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Great Crittercove cool.gif so glad it went well.

You all sound very kind and special. Those pups very lucky to have you!

jmo
Raleigh NC

--------------------
Kate
+Quote Post
Meterman46
post Oct 30 2006, 07:42 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5502

Crittercove

Glad your trip went well just had to share this about our dog.....She is a 6 year old Schnauzer/Shepard mix.... Sounds weird but she's cute and very spoiled...LOL anytime I get close to the Travel trailer and sometimes if she thinks we are going camping she gets excited and If she is out and the truck door is over she thinks she's going too.smile.gif If you think it hard to tell a child they can't go the candy store.....you should see the look I get when I tell "ruby" we're not going camping. Our first trip was stressful for us as she was 4 years old and didn't know what to expect but after coming home she figures anytime I get in the truck that means were going camping.... biggrin.gif Problem is I drive the truck daily.....lol So it's hard to get her to understand when we're not going. Even had a hard time convincing her when I took it to storage for the winter She just knew we were going...LOL..Have fun camping...Happy Trails

--------------------
Brian,Teresa Noah & Ruby ( 1 Spoiled Rotten Furry Kid )

2004 F250 Super Duty
1996 Silverado Ext Cab
1998 Coachman Catalina Lite
Illinois

Laughter......sparkles like a splash of water in sunlight

+Quote Post
Crittercove
post Oct 30 2006, 07:26 PM
Post #28

LOL - yes, there's been a few times we had to drive one of our dogs around the block because she sat by the car and refused to move!

Thank you for the information on carsickness. We actually did let her see out the front window only on the ride home...not on purpose. We forgot to cover up the front of the carrier and couldn't stop. It didn't make any difference with the vomiting, though.

My poor super-puker vomits within a minute of leaving home. I didn't think about it being stress because she never vomits at home, even when she's upset or nervous (for example, if it's thundering). However, it is very possible it is a combination of the movement and stress. I never considered that.

She has thrown up from the very first day I brought her home from the pound as a tiny puppy and it hasn't changed. She hasn't outgrown it.

We have 7 dogs altogether, but three are outdoor dogs and did not go camping with us. We never thought we would have outdoor dogs, but several of our rescues were old hunting dogs that had been dumped out and they were miserable indoors. So my husband built an outdoor mansion for them...very large fenced area, sleeping quarters complete with heat in the winter, shade porches. It's very nice.

Thank you, jmo. We adopt special needs dogs, whether they are elderly, sick, have medical issues, were abused...whatever. I only wish we could do more. 5000 cats & dogs are euthanized in our county every year. It's horrific.

In addition to adopting a few dogs, we run a full-time wildlife hospital, caring for sick, injuried, and orphaned wildlife. So we are definitely animal people.

Jmo, we are in Alamance County so we are not far from you. Have you camped at Jordan Lake? That is where we went and it was lovely.

I am so glad there are lots of dog lovers on this site.
+Quote Post
dmsscs
post Oct 30 2006, 09:24 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7790

We just returned from a three day weekend with our pit bull/bull dog mix. She had a great time, loves to travel on the dash board so she can watch everything go by. I haven't had anyone charge for a pet, yet. We traveled with friends that have two large dogs and a small one, they travel well, i think they actually look forward to it. Most parks have rules pertaining to dogs, like pick up after them, keep them on a leash, don't allow them to become an annoyance to your fellow campers, and fill in any holes they might dig on the site were a few I recall reading. I suggest always carrying their records of shots. Some towns have rules about that, a friend had to pay a $200. fine for not having proof with them when their dog was involved in a dog fight. The tag on the collar is not enough. A few parks do not allow dogs to be left unattended, we saw why in one park where the people left the dog tied to the picnic table, left for the day, the dog got tangled, the lead was too short for the dog to get out of the sun and had spilled his water. Beside the annoyance of its continuous barking, his health was in danger. The staff unhooked the dog and put it in a pen behnd the store until the owners returned. The owners of the dog had the nerve to get angry at them for taking the dog.
Have fun with your dogs! Be sure to get the rules in advance and be prepared to follow them!
+Quote Post
Cheryl Fuller
post Oct 30 2006, 11:45 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3340

dmsscs, we have 2 maltese dogs that travel with us. Bucky, the oldest, who is 1, loves to ride up on the dash and watch everything. Sadie is 7 months old, and her favorite spot is under my chair. She doesn't much care where we are going, as long as she gets to go along!!! We do take an exercise pen with us and when we are sitting outside, they are put in their pen. It always irritates me to come outside or return back to the motorhome and find "gifts" left by other people's dogs. I can't even imagine letting one of mine on someone else's site, let alone leave their poop for other's to pick up.

Bucky
IPB Image

Sadie
IPB Image

--------------------
Cheryl
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com