3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Deceptive Wifi In Advertising
FordTruck
post Sep 9 2006, 08:30 PM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 8924

I'm responding from Lake Fairfax Park in Northern VA. They have WiFi service through Linkspot, who apparently provide services to a number of campgrounds countrywide.
I too have problems with the staff not knowing enough to help campers. They have 3 locations throughout the park with the transmitters/receivers/repeaters and they do have a pretty good signal and speed (11Mbps).
The way Linkspot works is they give you a box containing a CD, a USB device and an instruction booklet from the company. You download the drivers and Linkspot software and the instructions tell you to connect with the USB device plugged into your computer. At this point, it takes you to their site where you pay for the service (Hourly, Daily, Weekly or Monthly).
The difficulty then begins. What they don't tell you is that if your laptop has a wireless card already, you no longer need to keep the USB device plugged in and you can then just connect to the internet. IF you try to connect with the USB device, you get little or no connectivity. I lost 3 days of work (yeah, I know, I'm supposed to be RV'ing and not working but that's not reality for me) because I was trying to connect with that darned USB device plugged in.

SOMEBODY on the provider side needs to know the questions to ask and correct answers.

--------------------
2003 Airstream International 22AS (Arvin as in RV'in)
2005 Ford F-150 SuperCab 4X4 5.4L (Betsy3)
2006 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Classic
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
riggarob
post Oct 2 2006, 11:16 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9292

QUOTE(FordTruck @ Sep 9 2006, 10:30 PM) *

I'm responding from Lake Fairfax Park in Northern VA. They have WiFi service through Linkspot, who apparently provide services to a number of campgrounds countrywide.
I too have problems with the staff not knowing enough to help campers. They have 3 locations throughout the park with the transmitters/receivers/repeaters and they do have a pretty good signal and speed (11Mbps).
The way Linkspot works is they give you a box containing a CD, a USB device and an instruction booklet from the company. You download the drivers and Linkspot software and the instructions tell you to connect with the USB device plugged into your computer. At this point, it takes you to their site where you pay for the service (Hourly, Daily, Weekly or Monthly).
The difficulty then begins. What they don't tell you is that if your laptop has a wireless card already, you no longer need to keep the USB device plugged in and you can then just connect to the internet. IF you try to connect with the USB device, you get little or no connectivity. I lost 3 days of work (yeah, I know, I'm supposed to be RV'ing and not working but that's not reality for me) because I was trying to connect with that darned USB device plugged in.

SOMEBODY on the provider side needs to know the questions to ask and correct answers.

--------------------
Beware of those who point their finger the loudest!
+Quote Post
woodman
post Oct 14 2006, 04:19 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 3305

Just a couple of thoughts.
First, if you're piggy-backing on your neighbor's signal without thier permission, you're stealing from them. It drives down their speed and gives you access without your paying for it. That's stealing.

Second, I, like Beastmaster, run on a Datastorm dish on my roof connected to an internal wireless router. However, it's been working so badly lately that we must have wifi for me to do my job. Until Hughes or Morosat gets this thing fixed, we're in it with you. BUT my point is that if a campground is providing WIFI based on a dish in any way like ours, then they are susceptible to the same kinds of trouble we're having. How can we hold them accountable for that when we have been trying to get help for weeks without success?

W
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com