Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Strange And Funny City/town Names.
RV Park Reviews Campground Discussion Forum > RV Park and Campground Discussions > General Chat
BBear
I was just looking over the new posted reviews on the Home Page and saw one came from a place called Elephant Butte, New Mexico...and I couldn't stop laughing.

So, I thought it would be neat for us to list some out of the ordinary names of places we've visited in our travels.

Some I've visited:

Bird-In-A-Hand, PA
Intercourse, PA
Paradise, PA
Colver, PA (not really out of the ordinary, until you go down the road and visit...)
Revloc, PA (....which is Colver backwards!)
Cheryl Fuller
I still chuckle every time we pass thru Toad Suck, Arkansas.
Texasrvers
Texas has so many unusual names.

How about Muleshoe.

Or Dumas (which goes along with Elephant Butte if it is pronounced the way it looks. It is actually pronounced dew'-mas)

We also have Elephant's cousin, Study Butte.

There's Dime Box AND Old Dime Box.

Cut and Shoot

Gun Barrel City

Twin Sisters

Reklaw and Sacul--which don't seem too unusual except that they are both names that are spelled backwards. They are near each other in east Texas.

We have also seen Tickfaw, LA.

You should not have gotten me started on this! I think place names are so interesting.
Lance-a-Lot
Knockemstiff, OH
gwbischoff
The town of Aromas, CA is not far from Gilroy, which is the self-proclaimed "Garilc Capital of the World".
Onemoretrail
You have to go to Newfoundland and Labrador where they have such interesting names such as Hearts Content and Dildo.
mrhddh
Come to Washington where you can visit Humptulips, Dosewalups, or Martha's Inn at George.
High Roller
Lovelock, Nevada seems a little suggestive to some folks. There are a couple of cross road villages (near each other) in northern CA called Igo & Nogo.

My favorite is also Toadsuck, AR.
jmo
Lizard Lick NC
Cheryl Fuller
QUOTE(jmo @ Jul 1 2007, 06:29 PM) *
Lizard Lick NC

Lizard Lick and Toad Suck sound like they should be sister cities...
KRVer
Haven't been to the town itself, but I have plenty of it every day.

Hot Coffee, Mississippi.

smile.gif
emsley3
Along with Lizard Lick that has been mentioned, we have the great town of Climax here in NC too.
gwbischoff
Truth or Consequences,NM
etoyoc
As a teenager in KY, I always got a kick out of some of our town names...

Beaver Lick and Big Beaver Lick ....

of course also .... Big Bone Lick... We even had a Big Bone Lick state park... I wonder if anyone has reviewed it?

Then I moved to Illinois and spent a few years between Normal and Oblong. always laughed at the name Kickapoo. However, Kickapoo state park is a good place to camp.

But now, I am in Indiana, home of Floyd's Knobs, French Lick, and Gas City....
sing4mi
I always kind of wondered about "Weed" Ca.
Ted_Deits
QUOTE(sing4mi @ Aug 5 2007, 02:32 AM) *

I always kind of wondered about "Weed" Ca.

How about Deer Lick California?
BJMA
Blue Ball OH - Butler County
Monkey's Eyebrow KY - Ballard County
Rabbit Hash KY - Boone County
Bucksnort TN - not sure of the county, but on I-40 nr I-65
mwood
I live near Monkey's Eybrow, KY. Not too far from Possum Trot, KY. I always get a kick out of Frozen Head State park in TN as well.
HappiestCamper
QUOTE(emsley3 @ Jul 17 2007, 12:04 AM) *

Along with Lizard Lick that has been mentioned, we have the great town of Climax here in NC too.

When we visited my uncle's farm there, I proudly stated that "I brought my wife to Climax" biggrin.gif
Yosemite Dan
How about "Boring" Oregon, "Pea Ridge" Arkansas, or "Cut Off" "Plain Dealing" and "Slaughter" all in Louisiana
wpr
In the province of Quebec we have a town called Trois-Pistoles, meaning Three Pistols in French.
HappiestCamper
Be sure to check out the "Pearls Before Swine" comic strip for 8/30/07 for a funny one about town names - http://news.yahoo.com/comics/pearlsbeforeswine
J59T
Anybody going between Memphis and Nashville, will have the great pleasure of going through...

Bucksnort, TN!
gwbischoff
Just went through Mexican Hat, Utah. It features a rock formation that does look like an upside-down sombrero.
RLM
How about Bang and Happy, TX?
BJMA
found a new one today, Beaverlick KY
BJMA
QUOTE(mwood @ Aug 23 2007, 09:43 PM) *

I live near Monkey's Eybrow, KY. Not too far from Possum Trot, KY. I always get a kick out of Frozen Head State park in TN as well.

I used to go over to Ballard Co a lot on service calls, I would detour just to drive thru Monkey's Eyebrow just for fun. I am a ham radio op and I liked to make contacts from strange named locations such as Monkey's Eyebrow, Devils Lake ND, Bucksnort, etc.
Chay
QUOTE(High Roller @ Jul 1 2007, 04:34 PM) *

Lovelock, Nevada seems a little suggestive to some folks. There are a couple of cross road villages (near each other) in northern CA called Igo & Nogo.

My favorite is also Toadsuck, AR.

Actually ... it's Igo and Ono. We used to live nearby ... smile.gif. Also nearby are Peanut and Hayfork.
cathycamping
In Wisconsin, we have a "Bong Recreational Area".
BJMA
QUOTE(iam_cathy @ Sep 30 2007, 10:39 PM) *

In Wisconsin, we have a "Bong Recreational Area".

Wisconsin? sounds like the Haight/Ashbury area in SanFran CA tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.