Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pay Showers
RV Park Reviews Campground Discussion Forum > RV Park and Campground Discussions > RV Park Discussions
Florida Native
We have just completed a long RV trip from Florid to Maine and back and I was astounded by the large number of pay showers we encountered in the North East. Seems to me that when you buy a site, the showers should be included. I talked about it with a campground owner in Freeport, Maine and he indicated that it was to stop people from leaving the showers on, not for the money. We also did run into campgrounds with timers or a button to push every minute or so to continue showering. To me, having to feed in quarters to get a shower is offensive. I normally take a “Navy” shower in the coach and actually use the provided showers only when I want a nice long hot shower.
Texasrvers
For many reasons that I won't go into we usually prefer to use the campground showers. So far we have not run into pay showers. If we do I think I would then use our on board facilities rather than go through the hassle of getting change and then having to drop quarters in every few minutes. Under those circumstances we would do just as well at a do-it-yourself car wash. ohmy.gif This again sounds like one of those situations where campground owners are trying to stop inconsiderate campers from abusing the facilities, and then unfortunately we all pay the price--literally.
bonscott
I actually love places that have pay showers, means they are typically less busy. I find that pay showers are found more at parks that have full hookups everywhere.

Anyway, a quarter for 4 minutes of nice hot water sounds good to me!
doddbldr2
We ran into pay showers at Fishing Bridge RV park in Yellowstone and also at Grand Teton National park. We used the shower in our fifth wheel sometimes and used the pay showers for the days we felt we needed it. Neither of these parks had shower timers. I didn't mind paying for the shower a few times on our vacation.
Florida Native
>>>I didn't mind paying for the shower a few times on our vacation.

I guess, I felt like when I paid the $36, the showers can be included. Water is usually about $3.00 per 1000 gals. Have to pay to have it heated and then there is the sewage cost, but I really doubt that a shower would cost more than 50 cents. Just seems cheap to do this. The timers were in the form of a button that you had to push every once in a while to maintain waater. Many public bathrooms have this type of thing on the hand washing faucets. We had found this only in the NE, but haven't been West yet. My next pet pieve is paying tolls on the interstate expressways which is also found in the NE. We paid nearly $40 in one day in MA, NY, and PA. I always thought the interstates were paid for with federal dollars and no tolls could be charged.
Big Ben
Well if tolls are problem, you also have them in Fl, Ohio, Ind ,Ill, and Oklahoma. There are always alternatives That alot of the commercial traffic uses.
Florida Native
I don't mind paying tolls on toll roads, but what I was complaining about was paying them on Federal Interstates with numbers like I-81 and such. I figured these were paid for by our tax dollars and should be free.
Big Ben
With the exception of Florida, I beleive the rest have Interstate designations. We have a lot of power on this forum but in this case you might try one of your congress people.
BBear
I tend to shy away from campgrounds who charge a shower fee...mainly because I don't feel like remembering among other things to bring a hand load of quarters with me when I go to take a shower, LOL.
popup6
I have camped at campgrounds with pay showers and the timed showers, I have to say it was a major hassle, the first time not realizing it was a pay shower and having a kid sooo very dirty from play I think he rolled in the dirt, only thing that remained clean was the blue of his eyesand not a single quarter because he has "quartered me to death" during the day, the campstore was closed so I could not even try to get change or buy something for change, Atm's do not dispense quarters and no bill changer on the grounds. Needless to say I was not happy sponge bathing him and he was not happy either and complained the whole time as his modesty and ego were being violated in his mind age 8 ( like I have never seen him prancing around the house in his boxers)
Now I make sure that I always keep quarters on hand.

As for the timed ones you need to be an acrobat to keep the water running as you soap up, rinse and forget being a woman and trying to shave your legs while trying to keep your back pressed against the button to keep the water running !
GaryWT
We are from the Northeast so pay showers have always been a part of camping. Owners we have talked to say they same thing, just trying to save hot water for the next guy. If they used timers, they could be reset and reset til the water was gone but with the quarters, people tend to shower and get out. Makes sense to me.

In New England, the packing list always included rolls of quarters for tolls and showers. LOL
dpdmom
I have only camped at 2 campgrounds that required quarters. Since I am in a pop-up with no shower, our family has to use the facilities available. My problem with both of them was the fact that neither listed on their website that the showers were pay showers or even in their welcome packet. Very frustrating when you have little ones that love the dirt and then realize they are pay showers after they undress. It has become a routine, now to check the showers the first day we get there to see if they are pay or not.
carle
QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Jun 26 2007, 07:53 PM) *

We have just completed a long RV trip from Florid to Maine and back and I was astounded by the large number of pay showers we encountered in the North East. Seems to me that when you buy a site, the showers should be included. I talked about it with a campground owner in Freeport, Maine and he indicated that it was to stop people from leaving the showers on, not for the money. We also did run into campgrounds with timers or a button to push every minute or so to continue showering. To me, having to feed in quarters to get a shower is offensive. I normally take a “Navy” shower in the coach and actually use the provided showers only when I want a nice long hot shower.
dmsscs
QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Jun 29 2007, 04:49 PM) *

>>>I didn't mind paying for the shower a few times on our vacation.

I guess, I felt like when I paid the $36, the showers can be included. Water is usually about $3.00 per 1000 gals. Have to pay to have it heated and then there is the sewage cost, but I really doubt that a shower would cost more than 50 cents. Just seems cheap to do this. The timers were in the form of a button that you had to push every once in a while to maintain waater. Many public bathrooms have this type of thing on the hand washing faucets. We had found this only in the NE, but haven't been West yet. My next pet pieve is paying tolls on the interstate expressways which is also found in the NE. We paid nearly $40 in one day in MA, NY, and PA. I always thought the interstates were paid for with federal dollars and no tolls could be charged.

We were at a park when they had to have the septic system pumped out, out of curiosity I asked what a system like that would cost to pump out (we do ours at home once a year) THey pay over $1200.00 per month to keep it up and with all the formaldehyde we use in our campers it may go up as it may be considered toxic waste. We now use a non-formaldehyde product and would encourage all our fellow campers to do the same, can you imagine the cost of camping if these parks have to pay for toxic waste removal everytime they have a septic system pumped out?? I think they charge to help cover the cost and to limit the length of the showers that are helping to fillup these systems.
Bellbuoy
I don't mind paying, but let ME control the water temperature. I don't want to be scalded!
Beastdriver
When I make reservations at a park, I always ask if the wi-fi is free and if they charge extra for anything else like showers, cable tv, etc. If they charge me for anything other than the overnight camping fee, then I thank them and find another campground. I refuse to be nickled and dimed by campgrounds but must admit I made exceptions to this rule in the northeast since many did charge and it was difficult to find a fee-less campground.
dmsscs
I understand the feeling of being nickled and dimed, but I would rather pay ala carte, and pay for what I want to use, like cable, I have a dish, I would rather not have that stuff worked into the nightly camping rate. I would rather the people that use the service pay for the service. I think they should charge at the pool, I never use that one. You wouldn't expect the game room to be free, or the telephone so why would you want them to charge all of use for the cable or wifi?
Parkview
biggrin.gif

Well butter my butt and call me a biscuit, as an RV Park owner, the key to making everyone happy has finally dawned on me after reading these posts.

All I have to do is provide everything that everyone wants "Free", keep it clean, keep it quiet unless you want to party, cut all of the trees if you want an unobstructed view for your satellite dish, do not cut any trees if you like shade, allow campfires as long they don't smoke, and allow all discounts in addition to providing everything "Free".

I will begin this policy immediately as soon as I can figure out how to pay my staff. I obviously don't need to make a profit, that would be gouging.

As an RVer for 25 years before retiring and building an RV Park, I never understood these obvious truths until today, and I just couldn't wait to share my revelations with such an enlightened group.

Seriously though, I do still enjoy RVing and operating an RV Park, and I think the vast majority of our customers enjoy coming here, even if if it is not Free.

Thanks for the opportunity to opine. Doug
dmsscs
Biscuit,
Thank you for the laugh! You are right, and I think if people realize that not every park can possibily please every person, they will understand that you camp once to try it out, if you like it you go back again, if you don't there is always another park down the road. I am sure you, as an owner would rather only deal with HAPPY campers than people that are looking for a level, wooded, grassy site by the river, two sites down from the rest room, with a quiet hour at 10:00 and bingo every night at 7:00. With lots of things for the kids to do, and an adult swim daily, make the showers free, the wyfi free, the entertainment good, keep the bathrooms clean, keep the park litter free, stop the birds from singing in the morning and make sure the wind doesn't blow too hard, keep my neighbors kids quiet, let me drink and party all night.and have 24 hour secuirty. And if you can do all that for $10.00 a night, you'll have my business, too!
Parkview
biggrin.gif
Parkview
biggrin.gif

Thank you Dmsscs,

We've got pretty much all of that covered except the $10.00 part.

Doug
Bud in Florida
QUOTE(Parkview @ Oct 7 2007, 12:12 PM) *

biggrin.gif

Well butter my butt and call me a biscuit, as an RV Park owner, the key to making everyone happy has finally dawned on me after reading these posts.

All I have to do is provide everything that everyone wants "Free", keep it clean, keep it quiet unless you want to party, cut all of the trees if you want an unobstructed view for your satellite dish, do not cut any trees if you like shade, allow campfires as long they don't smoke, and allow all discounts in addition to providing everything "Free".

I will begin this policy immediately as soon as I can figure out how to pay my staff. I obviously don't need to make a profit, that would be gouging.

As an RVer for 25 years before retiring and building an RV Park, I never understood these obvious truths until today, and I just couldn't wait to share my revelations with such an enlightened group.

Seriously though, I do still enjoy RVing and operating an RV Park, and I think the vast majority of our customers enjoy coming here, even if if it is not Free.

Thanks for the opportunity to opine. Doug

Thanks for the smile, Parkview. It always amazes me how people want you to be there, provide outstanding service, but not charge anything! Hope you get enough sane people so that you can stay in business. I know that most park owners try really hard to please and do the most they can for the least amount of money-- but how you stay sane dealing with the public is a wonder in itself. Thanks again for being there for us
Parkview
biggrin.gif
Hi and Thanks Bud,

We do it because we enjoy it. I am retired from a previous career with a pretty good pension, so we don't need to take money out of the park to live on. We have a beautiful location which was not being utilized before I retired. As for the economics of building and operating an RV Park, we could not have even begun to think of building an RV Park here if we had to purchase the land. As I've said before in these posts, I have been an RVer a lot longer than I've been a park owner, and I have tried to encompass all the things that I always looked for in an RV Park. The number one thing that I learned since opening is that everyone has differnt tastes in what they like and expect in an RV Park. Try as we might, it is impossible to please everyone, so our philosphy is to please as many as we can within what we can afford and try to enjoy ourselves in the process. As far as staying sane while dealing with the public, I consider myself and our staff the public; simply treat others as you would like to be treated.

Everyone smile and be biggrin.gif . Doug
ready2upgrade
Here's my funny pay-shower story... tongue.gif

It was our first family camping trip, and we were in a tent. I had never been to a private campground or seen pay showers. huh.gif So the first morning I put in my quarter and went about showering. My 6 year old daughter was with me. I had just finished her and had shampoo in my hair when the hot water stopped... so I had her go out (of course the pay box was on the other side of the bathroom) and put in another quarter.

The next day I thought, I'll be creative and put in 75 Cents at the start and get 9 minutes.... wink.gif so after 3 minutes when the water shut off I realized my good idea was pretty stupid.... blink.gif since I was alone and soapy from head to toe and I had no more quarters. Luckily within a couple minutes my 6 year old who was in the outer bathroom area popped her head in to see if I was almost done and I explained my predictament. I asked her to run back to the tent (3 sites away) and get another quarter. Nope she didn't want to go alone and would not cooperate. So here I am freezing and not sure to be mad at her or myself! ohmy.gif A nice lady in the bathroom heard our conversation and gave my daughter a quarter! Thank goodness for nice strangers....that's the last time we did a private campground, but I'm sure I have more to look forward to in the future.
Sverlinde
Pay showers just make people not want to come back. Who carries around change with them to go take a shower.
Testudo
We have just completed a long RV trip from Florid to Maine and back and I was astounded by the large number of pay showers we encountered in the North East. Seems to me that when you buy a site, the showers should be included. ...To me, having to feed in quarters to get a shower is offensive. I normally take a “Navy” shower in the coach and actually use the provided showers only when I want a nice long hot shower.

Pay-as-you-go showers are all over the country and we are probably going to see more of them. Water is becoming a dear commodity in the United States and this is a situation that is likely to become more dire.

It _is_ kind of insulting to pay a hefty fee for a place to park (_no_ hookups, whatsoever) and then have to pay a hefty fee for the proverbial spritz of hot water. I usually see this situation at government 'owned' campgrounds and I plan accordingly (plenty of rolls of quarters in the glove compartment).

We don't have an _inside_ shower. We have an excellent _outside_ shower (and shower tent) for camping at more primitive sites. On balance, where it is not appropriate to use my outdoor shower, I'm kind of glad to pay a fee to be able to "enjoy" a shower, none-the-less.
cb5300
WOW! blink.gif I admit I'm new to the RVing scene, but pay showers! Give me a break. Now I own a Class A MH and i would never think about using the CG's showers, I mean, good golly, I paid good money to be able to shower in my coach for goodness sake. The beauty of aqua-hot is the endless supply of hot water. I know my son can rip off a 40 min. shower like no bodies business...
Beastdriver
We don't even use campground showers but, as a matter of principle. I won't stay at a campground that charges for showers if I know about it in advance. Ditto with extra charges for 50 amps, cable tv, wi-fi, etc. etc. I am willing to pay the tariff for an overnight parking spot, but refuse to be nickled and dimed to death.
John Blue
We feel the same way as Beastdriver over the nickel and dime crap. We do not use showers anyplace we travel to in our motorhome, one we have works well. We hate KOA's due to the base rate system them plus TV, WiFi, power, water, sewer, late fee, you come in before 6:30 pm, and so on. Some parks will ask you to pay everything they can get out of you.
Tom
My problem with pay showers is when a campground has relatively high nightly price, and then adds in the pay shower. I can better see the pay shower if the nightly fee is comparatively low. Especially campgrounds with full hookups and not a lot of tenting campers, most people are using their camper's showers, so why charge for showers?

The State Parks around me have push-button showers, but they are free. They work great, AND the nightly fee is low.
Tankster
Unfortunately, the amount of theft and vandalism in campground showers is astronomical. I'm sure you are not one of the offenders, but you happen to be paying for the few who decide to steal and recycle or use the fixtures found in campground showers.
poconosdj
We mainly use our HTT's shower when we have a full hook up site. When we do not stay in a full hook up site we will only bathe the kids in our shower. The DW and I will use the campgrounds showers. The pay showers we have encountered have all been 25 cents for 5 minutes. I'm usually good with a five minute shower (an advantage of going bald biggrin.gif ) and DW will take about 10 minutes. So we don't mind spending $.75 - $1.50 a day for showers. Our State Parks have free push button showers. I guess if you are unsure if showers are free and you won't pay for them, you should just make a phone call to the CG and ask. One thing that makes our small shower easier is this RV Offset Shower Rod

Why am I always putting my 2 cents in when it's only a penny for your thoughts?
grim509
Pay showers. While I do not like the idea, I do sympathize with the park owners. I have been camping since I before I can remember, and I remember a few times walking into the shower room, waiting forever for the shower to open because I hear running water, only to find out some schmuck left the water on and left! But having 5 kids, pay showers is a huge downfall for me, especially if there's an arcade on the premises! I could never pack enough quarters! lol Not to mention, it IS extremely frustrating when you don't know they charge for showers in advance! lol

Howerver, for those of you who want everything included, please. I use very little of what you want. Wi-fi? Cable? etc. Isn't that the point of camping? Get away from it all! Seriously, if you want all that, why not stay at a hotel? I'm missing the point of it. Why should it be included in the site fee? I'll never use it. And I'd place to bet, most ppl in the CG don't use those things, with the exception of the seasonals/permanents. Maybe that's why I tend to use more mom/pop camgrounds rather than RV parks/resorts. Thats just me.
Texasrvers
grim509,

I can see that you have just joined this forum. So first of all welcome. There is a lot of good people and information here. Second, being new you would not know about the previous discussions about the differences between "campgrounds" and "RV parks" and why people prefer one type or the other. Briefly there are those who like to get away from it all (as you seem to want to do) and those who want to stay in touch while getting away. Neither type of person is right or wrong--just different from each other--and they both have the right to enjoy their prefered way of camping/RVing. When you have time you might enjoy looking up and reading some of those discussions. They were interesting and gave a lot of insight into the two philosophies.
FosterImposters
QUOTE(Tankster @ Jan 3 2008, 05:19 PM) *

Unfortunately, the amount of theft and vandalism in campground showers is astronomical. I'm sure you are not one of the offenders, but you happen to be paying for the few who decide to steal and recycle or use the fixtures found in campground showers.

Hello and welcome aboard Tankster! cool.gif
Never occured to me that folks would heist the fixtures (are they after the copper?) or just damage campground bathrooms/showers deliberately. ph34r.gif That is, until we spent time at a county park and got to know couple of the volunteer hosts. They lived in Idaho and hosted at Lake Skinner outside Temecula, California each winter. Lots of mischief/vandalism until they began locking the gates at 10pm. Kept the roving gangs of "looking-for-trouble" to a minimum.
We rarely use the public showers anymore...did when we started camping: backpacking w/tents. Always had a sock full of quarters in my pack: washing machines and showers! laugh.gif
FosterImposters
QUOTE(poconosdj @ Feb 26 2008, 08:35 AM) *

We mainly use our HTT's shower when we have a full hook up site. When we do not stay in a full hook up site we will only bathe the kids in our shower. The DW and I will use the campgrounds showers. The pay showers we have encountered have all been 25 cents for 5 minutes. I'm usually good with a five minute shower (an advantage of going bald biggrin.gif ) and DW will take about 10 minutes. So we don't mind spending $.75 - $1.50 a day for showers. Our State Parks have free push button showers. I guess if you are unsure if showers are free and you won't pay for them, you should just make a phone call to the CG and ask. One thing that makes our small shower easier is this RV Offset Shower Rod
Why am I always putting my 2 cents in when it's only a penny for your thoughts?

Hello Poconosdj and welcome aboard!
Great link for the shower rod. Could have used that with our Class C. Current rig is (thankfully) roomier. One thing to 'rough it' for couple weeks camping...quite another to live this way fulltime. rolleyes.gif
Cheers!
HappiestCamper
QUOTE(poconosdj @ Feb 26 2008, 11:35 AM) *

These are much cheaper, you can move them to your next camper, or put them in any shower (I put one in my camper and one in my house)

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(c21crx55...KU=4293312&
bonscott
QUOTE(mogulman @ Oct 14 2007, 03:50 PM) *

Who carries around change with them to go take a shower.

I do because I know ahead of time they have pay showers. wink.gif
drmcleod
I feel pay showers are an insult. Who do the campground owners think they're fooling? It's not to stop water abuse, or any other made up reason. It's greed, plain and simple. Every business has an overhead and the overhead is worked into the fee.

For example; just like all of the businesses that are adding in a "fuel surcharge" on their invoices to justify the increased fuel costs. I'm sorry, but if it is costing more money to buy the fuel to run your business, then adjust your fees to cover that. Then I will decide whether or not to use your service. Do not try to blindside me with an after the fact fee!

Well the same goes for pay showers! If a campground owner needs to charge for the increased water usage/heating/sewage, etc. then work that into the campground's site fees and I'll decide whether or not to stay there. Don't slap us with a surprise when our britches are down (literally). Have some respect... for us and yourselves! What's next, charging us for inviting a friend to visit us in our traveling home?! Oh yeah, your already doing that!!
DXSMac
QUOTE(drmcleod @ Jul 18 2008, 03:58 PM) *

I feel pay showers are an insult. Who do the campground owners think they're fooling? It's not to stop water abuse, or any other made up reason. It's greed, plain and simple. Every business has an overhead and the overhead is worked into the fee.

For example; just like all of the businesses that are adding in a "fuel surcharge" on their invoices to justify the increased fuel costs. I'm sorry, but if it is costing more money to buy the fuel to run your business, then adjust your fees to cover that. Then I will decide whether or not to use your service. Do not try to blindside me with an after the fact fee!

Well the same goes for pay showers! If a campground owner needs to charge for the increased water usage/heating/sewage, etc. then work that into the campground's site fees and I'll decide whether or not to stay there. Don't slap us with a surprise when our britches are down (literally). Have some respect... for us and yourselves! What's next, charging us for inviting a friend to visit us in our traveling home?! Oh yeah, your already doing that!!

When I used to do business travel a lot, and stayed in hotels, I noticed that (and no offense to anyone on here from Pakistan, it's just what I noticed!!!) if the hotel owner was from Pakistan, you practically got charged for each toilet flush!

JJ
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.