Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HOW TRUE IS THE REVIEW?
RV Park Reviews Campground Discussion Forum > RV Park and Campground Discussions > General Chat
8lugnuts
While I think the idea of this web site is novel, how is it that anyone and everyone can leave a review on this web site, say whatever they want, good or bad, and not have it authenticated? And how can you or I believe it is true or false? I have visited a campground in Virginia several times and gotten to know the owners fairly well. The place is always packed, I usually see the same people there each season, and the owners and staff are super nice folks, and it's a nice place to stay, this is my opinion based on my experience. Yet, despite my experience, there are several posts on this web site about the same campground all of which totally trash the place and all look like personal vendettas against the owners from the same person. I don't believe a word of it and I think the folks who run this site ought to recognize deliberate sabotage when they see it. Also, anyone and everyone(particularly friends & family) could post here to make a lousy campground seem wonderful. It could make or break a campground. I hope the folks who run RVPARKREVIEWS.COM will seriously consider a system to authenticate this "feedback", similar to the way a site like eBay does. If they do not they could be doing a terrible mis-service to campgrounds across the country as well as landing themselves in a heap of legal trouble.

Sincerely, 8lugnuts.
beastdriver
The previous post, 8lugnuts, sounds like one of the nuts came off. The webmaster of this site has explained, time and time again, how they verify IP addresses, and take other undisclosed measures, to make sure that campground owners don't "stack" the site. (Could 8lugnuts possibly be a campground owner?). The webmaster of this site has also stressed, time and time again, that readers should not take any one or two comments as the Gospel but, rather, should look at what a number of visitors say about a specific campground before forming their judgment. This is, unquestionably, the best rating site in the industry, putting Trailer Life and Woodalls to shame. Read all the site disclaimers and explanations, Mr. Lugnuts (or Ms. Lugnuts, as the case may be), and you will understand. dry.gif dry.gif
gloria4241
I have entered several reviews of campgrounds that we have visited and my opinions are just that! If I have a bad or good experience I tell it like it is, the next person may have a different experience, but that is what this site is all about. If a campground consistently gets bad reviews, then I would not visit, but if it just gets a couple, I probably would try it. I think this is a good site to keep people informed on the good and bad. If the campground that you are talking about is a good campground, then the good reviews will outweigh the bad ones. I love this site!!!!!!! We live in Virginia and went to a campground that had a good review back in 2000, but we went in 2003 and it was lousy and also hard to get reservations, so being packed doesn't mean anything to me. biggrin.gif
Joe Bag of Donuts
Beastdriver, I agree with what both of you Gloria and yourself have said regarding this website. You obviously are not very computer savy. Many ISPs (do you want me to tell you what that acronym stands for?) have a system that provides users random IP addresses. Some systems have "static" IP addresses. So depending what system a user has, they could conceiveably send a 100 e-mails from the same computer and have a different IP address each time bonehead! BUT, I value the site immensely. Wish I had seen it before I had the worst experience of my life at an RV resort in AZ. The problem with these Mom and Pop owned RV campgrounds is they are not accountable to anyone (like a motel chain would be) and if they are bad, they need to get hammered via this website. By the same token, I have stayed at a few very good ones and they are not listed on this site. My guess is most people (like me) don't want to ruin a good thing by posting it here and having the RV hordes show up and ruin it for everyone else. Most people who stay at RV sites are passing thru and will not come back to make these owner jerks accountable for their unethical business practices. This site serves as a perfect venue to pass along information that may be biased or unbiased.....you certainly can't count on the jerks from Woodalls, Camping World, etc. They're more concerned with the bottom dollar they receive from advertising.
beastdriver
Joe Donut:

Gee, I didn't know you couldn't trace IP addresses, nor did the FBI, nor did Napster, nor did a dozen other agencies that regularly do so in order to nab the bad guys. Learn something new every day on this site, and that's what makes it so valuable!
bald guy
I wish I was as smart of this Donut fellow. Too bad he IS WRONG. You can most certainly trace IPs. But he is right about one thing: This site is excellent and a real benefit to us!
Yea, no kidding IP addresses can be traced with some effort. Glad you aren't as slow as your macho sounding name. And I am sure a free site like this is spending invaluable time and resources tracking down these pesky little bad guys (just like the FBI laugh.gif ) You understand my point ....the site isn't foolproof for an RV owner who wants to get around the rules nor for someone who has a personal vendetta against a campground.

Joe Bag of Donuts
bald guy
Joe Donut:

You made my day. Never have I been called macho because of my handle, "Bald Guy." Nice to know you were right about something!
John Blue
I have never had a problem due to information we have received from this site. I do not spend my time thnking about our IPS address. We need good information on nice places to camp out. Our books only help a little and the lot of information comes from this site if anyone has wrote it up. For the most part sites are not bad. You will find a bad one at times and people need to know about the place. A poor park will go broke very soon in time and that will end problem. This site only has 5000 plus sites and we see a lot more places out here. We do not go to any camp site that has a lot of bad hits. One person problem is not a problem to me, a lot of problems on same site tells me this place has problems. We need this information and will use it to help pick our camp sites.
beastdriver
As usual, John Blue, you are absolutely correct. This site is extremely valuable to us and people like the Donut Man just enjoy listening to themselves, I'm afraid. Let's all be thankful for this site and, as long as we all are truthful and tell it like it is about sites, we have nothing to fear, IPs, ISPs, or SOBs.
freedomrider
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif If "8lugnuts" would take the time to read this site, its instructions, and its disclaimers, he would understand how most campers know that, from time to time, there may be "sour grapes" but most of us have the good sense to look for a pattern, or a multiplicity of reviews, before making a decision. We're not stupid people. If we were, we would be staying in motels instead of living the dream in an RV. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Ex Sub-Driver
This site may not be perfect, but at least it allows the average RV user to post his opinion about a particular facility somewhere. The printed books have their own "opinions", and we have ours!
partyof5
There have been many times when we used the ratings in those campgrounds books and were disappointed. On the other hand there were times when we went to a campground that didn't get great ratings in the books, but we love it.
I think what is great about reviews on this site is there are more specific. People here not only tell you they liked it or not, but why, in detail...unlike those books.
I said it before and I'll say it again....we all have different ideas of the perfect campground. What one person doesn't like another person will love. So getting reviews from real people with details I think is great. In the end we always draw our own conclusion.
janmcn
Put it this way...I trust the reviews in general on this site more than the ratings in the rating books that have fullpage ads for the 4* campgrounds that turn out to be duds! Hmmmm.
Jan
HP9K
I think you have to have realistic expectations using a site like this. If you want someone to go out and verify every posting placed here, pay the site owner an annual membership fee and he can go out and compete with TL and Woodalls.

That being said, I have generally found the reviews here to be on the money. I can generally recognize the folks with an axe to grind and when I see posts about "they were mean to me" or "they let the neighbors kids run wild" I don't put as much weight in those postings. But when I see "the bathrooms were filthy" or "the sites were small and poorly cared for", then I pay attention.
lynngol
I am currently working on a research project that could help answer this question. I have created an extensive database of good (avg 8.0) and bad (any rating of 3 or less). I have compared the good recommendations with the ratings from at least 3 other websites and have come up with a composit rating. Anything in the top quartile (7.5+) is a good campground. I have about 760 confirmed good campgrounds and 500 more that are recommended but unconfirmed. I also have found 460 campgrounds where someone has had a bad experience.

The package is written in Excel and is fully macro driven. I will be making it available for FREE when It's complete.
Arizonian
The reviews here can only be as accurate and objective as the person posting them. If there's something about an RV park that really annoys someone, then the park will probably get a bad review. A case in point in my experience is the WAC RV park in Sarcoxie, MO. My wife and I stayed there twice in 2002, in part on the recommendation of friends from Kansas. Later that year, my daughter and I spent the night as well. WAC isn't a five star park,and it doesn't pretend to be, but it was quiet and comfortable. And we were three times served the absolutely best fried chicken dinners we've ever had, in their very small dining room. On one of the evenings, the mayor of Sarcoxie was at the adjoining table. (Though this is Sarcoxie, and not St. Louis, remember. . .)

One of the things that I noted in the office was that they had several presidential campaign bumper stickers from the 2000 election posted on the wall. It doesn't matter which candidate because there's plenty of nastiness from each side. I suspect that torqued off some visitor with a political agenda, because a review from someone who visited after we did was vitriolic beyond belief. Many of the features of WAC were "spun" to make them sound bad, when they really weren't. The "spin" was the same sort I see when someone is trying to paint some political candidate as evil. For example, the WAC owners have a pet bison. It's near the swimming pool, which we found to be very clean. The vitriolic review made it sound like the bison was IN the pool, when in fact they were well separated by a double fence. (And WAC cleans the bison enclosure *way* better than the dog crap doesn't get picked up at the Islander RV park in Lake Havasu City, AZ,) WAC has some long term residents, but not as many as some RV parks that got higher numbers in their reviews.

We're headed east again this summer, and plan to stop over at WAC. If it's changed as badly as the later reviews make it seem, I'll say so. (Note to midwesterners: You *are* east of us. ) cool.gif
Arizonian
I forgot to ask. Joe Bag of Donuts: Do you tow your Saturn behind a motorhome?
BeastDriver
Dear Arizonian,

Thank you for such an enlightening post. I am so happy to hear about your great freid chicken dinner and the fact that some po-dunk small town mayor sat right next to you..WOW! That is exciting. And I love your diatribe on the analogy between politocal candidate campaigns and RV park reviews. Thank you so much for contributing such valuable insight to this website. Next time keep surfing and don't stop.
Dear Arizonian and all others who are reading this post: I did not write the last "cute" note to Arizonian. Some sicko has borrowed my name, Beastdriver, and apparently gets his kicks by trying to steal someone else's identity.
lviars50
From the parks i have visited going by the reviews on this site i have found it to be a wonderful site of info about the parks.Sure you going to have differences in opinons from everyone so if there is 1 bad review to 10 good reviews then i figure i will go to that park but if there are 9 bad reviews and 1 one good then i figure i dont wont to waste my time are money going to this place.I figure if several people say the samething then there is some truth to it.
Lois P.S. I LOVE THIS SITE biggrin.gif
chixs
huh.gif Might I add a little note. . .everyone needs to understand that each review was based on that person's experience. I doubt that very many people are really planning a "vendetta" against a certain park. Most RV'rs and especially the ones who would take the trouble to go to this website and write a review are really just interested in "giving back" to those who came before. As for the Waco park in MO, well, this is a perfect example why you need to keep an open mind and read plenty of reviews. We too, stayed at this park, in July of 2003, and our experience was less than pleasant. I don't know if we were just there at a bad time, or what, but there was no meal, the park was unkempt, and we were not impressed. sad.gif We felt that the description in Woodalls was totally inaccurate. (This was before I found this site, of course.) On the other hand, my husband's sis and her husband had a great experience there a year earlier, meal and everything, so who was right? blink.gif We both were. That's all this site is, a recap of your experience at a specific park. Everyone should keep an open mind, but the odds are, if there are several negative reviews on a park, well, it's likely there is a valid reason. Remember, most rv'rs do not know of or use this site, so it's unlikely that a few negative reviews will put a park out of business if it's really a good park. It's just not going to happen. I would just hope that we could all be a tad bit friendlier to each other on this site, because, after all, don't we have something important in common? It's our enjoyment of rv'ing, in one form or another! There really is no reason for sarcastic responses and comments. .. .we're all intelligent and they say, the only dumb question is the one you are afraid to ask! tongue.gif Let everyone feel free to ask any question they choose, and if you feel the need to put someone else down, well, ask youself why you are reacting so strongly over such a minor thing. sad.gif
KevinandAmy
We check this site before selecting a campground, just to see if there is a review. We have visited 3 sites so far based upon their reviews here, and for the most part, have been well satisfied with what we have found.
This is an invaluable tool for us. We are aware, however, that of course people have different types of experiences in mind when they go camping. We like quiet and peace, with great location and good fire-pit. Others might like a raucous and loud party experience. We see the reviews where campers were told to be quiet, and we head there! hee hee. What some see as negatives, and post that way, we can sometimes see as positives, so it doesn't necessarily keep us from visiting if we see a "negative" post.
We DO pay close attention to any referrals to rude staff, however, and test it with our phone call making the reservation.
Chocolat
It's like you know.....a lot of things......everybody's got one....OPINION that is.

What I might think is a good park, someone might find awful........depends on what you are looking for and what the last one you stayed in was like sometimes.

I mean, I've been in some bad one's and gave the next one a thumbs up, when normally I would not have, just because it was decent...unlike the one before.

We try to drive through parks in every city we go to, for FUTURE REFERENCE.

It's a HIT AND MISS FOR SURE. WAL MART is usually pretty much the same all the time......and we stay there when passing through.

Happy Traveling guys.......
saturn7
QUOTE(Chocolat @ Jun 22 2004, 03:37 PM) *

It's like you know.....a lot of things......everybody's got one....OPINION that is.

What I might think is a good park, someone might find awful........depends on what you are looking for and what the last one you stayed in was like sometimes.

I mean, I've been in some bad one's and gave the next one a thumbs up, when normally I would not have, just because it was decent...unlike the one before.

It's a HIT AND MISS FOR SURE. WAL MART is usually pretty much the same all the time......and we stay there when passing through.

saturn7
QUOTE(Chocolat @ Jun 22 2004, 03:37 PM) *

saturn7
We have checked these reviews and found a very interesting negative review of J and H RV Park in Flagstaff AZ. the reviews were so provacative and curious that we decided to stay in the park just out of curiousity. Unfortunately the place was closed! some reviews may draw a person in just to see what all the fuss is about. I really love this site and use it regularly. cool.gif
Ohio-jayco-popup
Like everything else. Take the information with a grain of salt.

This is the first rv site I found and one of the best sites for finding information.

Sure, some folks have probably posted some fake responses or even intentionally tried to get back at a CG that did them wrong. But have you ever heard about buying ocean front property in AZ?
Jan
I have gone in and looked at various CGs where we have camped and most are right on target. I would not like to think that campers would give a CG a bad review just to be mean spirited; I really don't think the majority of campers are of that frame of mind, at least I hope not. We always check Woodall's reviews anyway but like seeing the personal reviews to add to our decision

Jan
mpj
I am a campground owner. And I do find some negative reviews of my park. However, since the party had so many negative feelings of our park, why did they not come to me, the owner, if the Staff treated them so badly, or the restrooms were as dirty as they said they were? We question the validity of such reviews and hope they are taken with a grain of salt.

Each person must form their own opinion based on their experience at any given time and at any given place. If you have a problem at a campground - one serious enough to post negatively on that campground, talk to the owner during your stay when the problem is in the present. We owners can do nothing about a past experience; we can only try to make this experience a good one, and prevent it from happening again. When you hire some one to do a job, you hope they are doing that job. If not, you, the camping public, need to tell the owner/manager of a park, and not leave it to a negative post. If you get no satisfaction from that discussion with the owner/manager, then leaving a negative post could be warranted. But don't leave us wondering: "when did this happen?". Just my POV. Thanks for listening!
scoutmom
From personal experience, this sight has been the most reliable as far as the overall acurracy of reviews. It's unlikely that a dumpy campground will get stellar reviews from everyone -- and equally unlikely that a top-notch campground will get tanked by every review.

I generally discount the top 2 and bottom 2 reviews and base my decision on the remainder. I'd also add that what one person complains about isn't necessarily a negative to me. If someone says there were too many kids running around, then I'd probably look twice at the campground!

Scoutmom
mastercraft
That is assuming that the owner will take the time to talk to you or return your calls.
dmsscs
QUOTE(mpj @ Jun 23 2006, 08:17 AM) *

I am a campground owner. And I do find some negative reviews of my park. However, since the party had so many negative feelings of our park, why did they not come to me, the owner, if the Staff treated them so badly, or the restrooms were as dirty as they said they were? We question the validity of such reviews and hope they are taken with a grain of salt.

Each person must form their own opinion based on their experience at any given time and at any given place. If you have a problem at a campground - one serious enough to post negatively on that campground, talk to the owner during your stay when the problem is in the present. We owners can do nothing about a past experience; we can only try to make this experience a good one, and prevent it from happening again. When you hire some one to do a job, you hope they are doing that job. If not, you, the camping public, need to tell the owner/manager of a park, and not leave it to a negative post. If you get no satisfaction from that discussion with the owner/manager, then leaving a negative post could be warranted. But don't leave us wondering: "when did this happen?". Just my POV. Thanks for listening!

dmsscs responds: You are entirely right, we always let the staff know when there is a problem and 99% of the time it is addressed. Maybe that is why I haven't felt the need to post negatively (except once, but we did try to get help and were ignored) Good advice, speak to the staff, they might turn your bad experience around.
The Wood Box
I must agree with several of the comments here about the concern for honest feed back about campgrounds. I have been on the internet for years and YES there are goof balls that just like a place to vent. Unfortunately, we must witness it. As a business owner and avid camper I believe everyone ( or mostly ) everyone here are campers and honest people. This site is to help fellow campers in their search for the quality camping grounds. I feel that if there was a problem the person should have gone to the management and voiced this. Professional business owners do all they can to accommodate their clients and make things right. After all there are plenty of campgrounds around but the major selling point is CUSTOMER SERVICE. New customers are easy to get. Repeat cutomers are your challenge. You must act in a professional manner to keep old customers coming back. That takes a quality idea of customer service and making sure everything has been done until the customer is totally satisfied. And this is no different than anything else in our life, sadly as it is. Some people just cannot be pleased. But if you have done your level best to solve the problem and cannot you can feel assured that they are going to complain at the next camp ground also.
Cheryl Fuller
While I am sure there are people who cannot be pleased, I also know that not ALL campground owners will bend over backwards to accomodate. There are several reviews here regarding a campground that I have had personal experience with and the owners attitude was "if you don't like it...leave".. Of course, there were no refunds. The owners took that attitude with each and every person who complained and there was plenty to complain about. Because of their location, they will always have business, so they do not care how they treat their guests. Yes, some people may like to vent, but I have found the reviews here to be, for the most part, right on the mark.
Butch
As for the campground owner, in a previous posting, stating that he would want you, the consumer, to enlighten him as to a problem(s) at that time of occurrence. Some campground owners/managers are not open to such criticism or complaints and chose to refuse to act. If you can have a discussion with them at all, they are most generally unavailable at the time. Personally I have complained and was told: you can leave-no refunds, what do you want me to do, as an example; when I complained that inconsiderate campers were walking through our site, the campground owner stated,"shoot 'em". Now that was some answer ! Have found that owners are less than willing to say anything to anybody other than you the complainant. Customer service is the name of the game for return business. Having worked a number of years in new car/truck dealerships as a parts manager, I know exactly what customer service is, and had made customer service a point to all who worked in my department. Thanks for this opportunity to voice my thoughts and opinion.
Big Ben
Most of the outragous complaints come from folks that are new to this forum and I take them with a grain of salt. When it is one of the old times, I think they are responsible.It would be help full if it showed up how long the reviewer was a member.
bikemanb
I am in the middle of a 7500 mile four month trek across America and used this site to help select most of the campgrounds we are using, so far with good results!

I am like a previous poster I tend to discount the top two and bottom two, sometimes just the bottom two if a reference to not being dog or child friendly is mentioned. Everyone knows that little Bobby or Fido are perfect and the nasty campground has it in for them. wink.gif
COWolfPack
I have to agree with Big Ben. It would be helpful to know how long a reviewer has been a member. However, I think it would also be helpful to see how many reviews that reviewer has done (kind of like it shows how many posts a member has posted). Granted not everyone will camp enough to leave a lot of reviews. While I wouldn't completely discount a review done by someone who has only done a couple of reviews (especially since I am a new member and have only written two so far) I would tend to lend more weight to review done by a member that has done a lot of reviews. This would show that they could be more experienced campers and know more of what to look for than a new RV'er.
jmo
I couldn't disagree more with comments on long term members better than new members. Its the quality of the writer comments not the quantity. We don't travel that much as yet but I know how to write a review. I just looked at a cg yesterday with one totally awful review and several other very good ones and all in close time period. We are anxious to try it. Camping is an adventure wink.gif

jmo
Cheryl Fuller
QUOTE(jmo @ Oct 1 2006, 10:07 AM) *
I couldn't disagree more with comments on long term members better than new members. Its the quality of the writer comments not the quantity. We don't travel that much as yet but I know how to write a review. I just looked at a cg yesterday with one totally awful review and several other very good ones and all in close time period. We are anxious to try it. Camping is an adventure wink.gif

jmo

I am so sorry that you seem to have taken offense with one of the posts in this thread. I truly do not believe it was his intention to cause that reaction. I read it as him saying he would probably trust a seasoned rv'er's take on a campground more as they would have seen MANY more campgrounds and have a greater idea of what RV'ers are looking for in a campground. When we first bought our motorhome, I really had no idea about looking for things such as a clear egress and ingress, clear pathways for satellite, etc. and those are the things that some of the guys who have been doing this for a long time have taught me. I don't think he meant that that "old-timers" are better than new members - just that they have a little more knowledge of what to look for. biggrin.gif
COWolfPack
Personally I look at all of the reviews as a whole when looking for a campground. I just meant that it I might lend a lttile more weight to a member who has done more reviews because it could show his/her experience. I am a new member and would not want anybody to discount one of my reviews just because of that but I wouldn't blame them for giving more weight to a review done by long term member who might have a lot more experience then I have. I also have to agree with jmo about the quality of the review. It wouldn't matter to me if someone wrote 100 reviews if all they said was "it is a good campsite" or "it is a bad campsite". If they didn't give good reasons I probably wouldn't pay any attention to the review
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.