Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's Your Annual Rv Usage/mileage?
RV Park Reviews Campground Discussion Forum > RV Park and Campground Discussions > RV Park Discussions
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Jerry S
Hi everybody,

To celebrate my one year anniversary on this forum, I thought I'd try a poll. I just hope I did the "poll" part right.

The "Special Price Break" thread from a few weeks ago got me thinking about the effect sky-rocketing fuel prices is having on RV travel. Simplistically, how much these rising fuel costs are increasing the cost of your RVing is primarily a function of your mileage. For example, if you drive the RV 10,000 miles a year and get 10 mpg., fuel at $3 a gallon costs you an extra $1,000 a year over $2 a gallon fuel. While that is a lot of money to some of us, I don't see that as a "deal breaker" for many retired, full-timers on this forum. Another factor is the amount of time you spend RVing. If that 10,000 miles is spread over 5, 6, 7 months or more of travelling, you're getting a pretty good return on the extra $1,000. On the lower end, an extra $500-$1,000 for a 3 week vacation may put a long summer RV trip out of reach for families.

I think it will be interesting to see the poll results (assuming I did that part of this post right) and comments by others on this financial problem facing RVers.
riggarob
QUOTE(Jerry S. @ Jan 11 2008, 10:40 PM) *

Hi everybody,

To celebrate my one year anniversary on this forum, I thought I'd try a poll. I just hope I did the "poll" part right.

The "Special Price Break" thread from a few weeks ago got me thinking about the effect sky-rocketing fuel prices is having on RV travel. Simplistically, how much these rising fuel costs are increasing the cost of your RVing is primarily a function of your mileage. For example, if you drive the RV 10,000 miles a year and get 10 mpg., fuel at $3 a gallon costs you an extra $1,000 a year over $2 a gallon fuel. While that is a lot of money to some of us, I don't see that as a "deal breaker" for many retired, full-timers on this forum. Another factor is the amount of time you spend RVing. If that 10,000 miles is spread over 5, 6, 7 months or more of travelling, you're getting a pretty good return on the extra $1,000. On the lower end, an extra $500-$1,000 for a 3 week vacation may put a long summer RV trip out of reach for families.

I think it will be interesting to see the poll results (assuming I did that part of this post right) and comments by others on this financial problem facing RVers.

I guess you just have to draw that proverbial line in the sand, that applies to your spending plans, and go from there. I think ours will be around $6.00/gallon. wacko.gif
Joe-n-Doe
Rising fuel costs make us wince, but have not yet slowed us down. I think the reason for that is we plan our big trips around 2 convention/reunions each year (spring and fall). Because they are in different parts of the USA every year, we are able to plan a trip that takes us to parts of the country we have never seen. Thanks to my job, we have been fortunate enough to be able to travel extensively internationally and ironically seen more of other countries than our own. RVing to these conventions provides us an opportunity to discover the USA. By time you factor in what it would cost us to fly, rent a car, park at the airport, kennel the dogs, pay for lodging, etc for what turns into a half a week in a hotel and nearby eateries, we think we are getting more total bang by RVing.
DXSMac
Good poll! So far, I'm the only vote in my category (31-60 days) but not the only one in mileage (5000-10000).

I reviewed my mileage log (bought my RV in late 2005) and my RV use doubled! But then again, I took retirement in late 2005, so had more time to RV after that.

So far, I'm a "take trips" person. I refuse to fly because of all the ridiculous rules imposed. So, I take my RV! If I can't take my RV, I don't go! I take my RV even to visit my family!

The part I don't like is paying for the gas. Reason, credit card limits! I have to either use two transactions, or press "Pay at window" which makes it slower. Using "Pay at Window" over-rides the credit card limits and you get it all in one transaction.

However, I read some information about "pay at window." If you "pay at pump," you could run into problems later, because "at the pump" will "grab" more of your credit than what the transaction actually was..... until the paperwork catches up at the credit card company (2-3 days) and fixes it to the correct amount. If you do "pay at window," you fill up on one transaction, and it will be posted exactly what it was. You get around the "grabbing" of your credit line.

JJ
John S.
Well, I am the only one in the 20k plus miles. I just like to travel but still work so I use it as much as I can. I used to use it to visit family in Iowa Texas and AZ all starting in VA and each one a separate trip. Now I just go to SPokane washington once a year and thte rest of family is alot closer (Richmond). It will be interesting to see if I drop in my milae but it will not be due to fuel prices. In fact I am very happy I put all those miles on with cheap fuel. I have traveled in the MH 165k miles in 5 years so that is alot of fuel at 8 miles a gallon or lessdepending on genset use and aquahot use. Interesting poll but if you think about it what is the difference between 2.50 and 3.50 a gallon for fuel. It is a dollar. SO you drive a 4000 mile trip and get 8 mpg you will use 500 gallons of fuel so the whole trip cost an extra 500 bucks. Now how many times do you eat out or do you have to stay in a campground. I do not on my travels till I get where I am going. If you can save 40 bucks a day that way traveling then you will be able to travel still. I mean at 8 mpg and an exta 40 bucks will allow you to buy 40 gallons o fuel for 2.50 then you will be able to travel 320 miles on that 40 gallons. So if you travel only 300 miles a day which I see alot of people doing then you stay in a truck stop or a wal mart you have the same cost as if the fuel was alot cheaper or if you have to use your genny then maybe you can only go 300 miles since the last 2 gallons will be used in the genset.
Texasrvers
I'm really glad you did this poll. We are planning a trip, and I was very concerned about the cost of gas, but the responses here have given me a new perspective. When you consider just the increase in gas costs it does not sound so bad, and if we choose to I can see how we can off set those costs in other ways. I totally agree with Joe-n-Doe's comments, and I much prefer traveling in my "home" rather than staying at different hotels. Because of the gas crunch in the 70's my parents never got to fulfill their lifelong dream of traveling all over the US, and I refuse to let that happen to me. We are still traveling as much as we ever did and intend to keep going as long as we can.

PS Happy anniversary, Jerry S.
mastercraft
This year was an exception for us because we did a long trip to Montana and Wyoming in the summer. Usually we take the RV out about 9 or 10 times a year not over about 300 miles a trip. Good poll. It will be interesting to see what others vote. I know our trip was not changed due to the rising fuel costs, but we cut down on eating out and in other areas and still stayed within the budget we had set for ourselves despite fuel costs being almost 50 cents more than we had factored when we began planning. I think it is a matter of priorities. I am not going to let the fuel costs stop me from traveling, I just might make my trips a shorter distance and see more of the sites in my region.
pianotuna
Hi all,

My wife retires in September--I hope that our days of use will rise dramatically after that. I'm not sure that mileage will rise as much as days of use. She doesn't like long days of travel.
DXSMac
QUOTE(John S. @ Jan 12 2008, 08:17 AM) *

Now I just go to SPokane washington once a year and thte rest of family is alot closer (Richmond).

John, if you go to Spokane, where do you stay? There is an RV park on Sprague that I have used. Actually, there are two on Sprague, but the one to AVOID is Maple Tree RV park. I have heard that is hookers and druggies. I stay at the other one, which has a small "vintage" motel in front, and an RV park in back. It's in kind of a yucky area, but it's right on the bus line and has good bus service to downtown Spokane. I stay there when I visit my Mom who lives on South Hill. I just take the bus.

JJ
John Blue
John S. is correct on thinking about fuel cost. We were on a cruise ship last week and at refuel time eight truck loads at 8000 gals each were dumped into ship. No road tax but that is a heavy fuel bill to pay. Each person on ship helped pay the cost. So our RV fuel bills are small in some ways.
RLM
I'm in the over 200 category. With respect to the third question on a reduction in the use of the rig - I haven't done that, but I have stopped traveling north of the Mason Dixon line. I have been able to spend considerably less by traveling in parts of the country that have lower costs for fuel, sales tax, campground costs, and generally lower purchase prices for goods and services.

No matter how you look at it, a buck a gallon extra from a year ago is a 30% increase. My retirement pay didn't go up that much and I suspect neither did the salary of those who still work.

"Yankee" land has some fantastic places to visit, but I can't afford to pay the extra prices to go there anymore. Guess they'll have to get along without as much out of state tourist dollars.
Butch
We have, for the last three years, cut back on our weekend outings that are over an hour from home and we utilize the local campgrounds that are less than 50 miles from home. The local cgs in the last couple of years have had their best years as it seems that some have also cutback on miles traveled. We have not cutback or changed our annual vacation to The State of Maine. We just add a few more dollars to the vacation fund.

We travel about 3,000+ miles and use our MH about 40+ days a year.
BJMA
yes, gas is a factor, but you know what, it is still cheaper than flying, I can get in the MH and go where ever, when ever I chose to pack up and go. The kids (both just starting grade school) are getting a geography lesson they will never forget.
FosterImposters
We're one who's reduced mileage is NOT related to fuel costs. Were "bungee cord" campers when locked into 8-to-8 corporate lives: drove peddle-to-metal to reach new destinations...then rocket back. Jobs required mass commuting, vacations required mass commuting. Fuel companies loved us.

Cut the 'cord' a year ago: now RV +200 days/year. Kinder, gentler way to live/see the country. Ergo, we're not traveling as fast/furious as previous life. Here's to touring more than just US airports via taxi before dawn/after dark!
Fosters I
RLM
BJMA>I differ with your statement that "it''s cheaper than flying." I've got two events planned in two different states in the coming months and have chosen to fly to both. I'm saving about 30% over the cost of driving and staying in my RV..altho I'd prefer to do that.

Assuming that the cost of owning a rig is at least a grand a month, or $12,000/yr, I can do alot of sight seeing for that with alternate transportation.

As other's have stated in the thread, it's not necessarily about the money, but how it is spent. Sleeping in one's own bed is "priceless."
Testudo
We operate a small truck camper but obviously fuel is our biggest cost. We average about 12 miles to the gallon when we are fully loaded with the camper. A problem for us is that we live on the east coast and take a western trip every year. Just getting out west eats up 4,000 miles going and coming.

When we last tent camped, in 2005, we were paying about $2 per gallon. After we got the camper in 2006, of course, fuel prices started to skyrocket {grin!}. Compared to tenting, a lot of our expenses are actually reduced, now. The biggest savings turned out to be food (which I wouldn't have predicted). We can handle food so much better in our well appointed truck camper that we have no interest in eating out any more. Also, since we always have the camper with us on our 4-wheel drive truck, we are never "prisoners" of the local economy at lunch time, anymore.

We actually also spend only about 2/3rds what we were spending on camp sites when we were tenters. Having the RV allows us to be more flexible with regard to the ammenities of the campground.

We've been reasonably expecting gasoline prices up to $4 a gallon for quite some time. Earlier this spring, with gasoline prices cooling somewhat, we half-hoped that we might pay less than $3 a gallon during our upcoming spring trip. Of course, _now_ -- just a few weeks later, we will be happy if we are paying under $3.50 a gallon {grin!}.

One thing that kind of irks me about the fuel situation is that so many people are _sure_ that it is all a plot on the part of the American fuel companies and filling stations (...and _no_, I'm not an employee of the oil companies). Nobody ever seems to want to blame the crude oil suppliers or the Federal and state governments that include huge taxes (mostly road taxes) in the price of a gallon of gasoline. The oil companies and filling stations actually have quite a meager profit margin. You won't find any oil company stocks in _my_ portfolio!
DXSMac
QUOTE(RLM @ Mar 9 2008, 07:02 PM) *

As other's have stated in the thread, it's not necessarily about the money, but how it is spent. Sleeping in one's own bed is "priceless."

Diesel per gallong = $3.67
New Diesel pusher RV = $400,000 (Ok, I'm guessing....)
Sleeping in one's own bed..... PRICELESS!

Ok, may I add...... BEING ABLE TO HAVE YOUR PET WITH YOU...... PRICELESS!

JJ
Butch

Here in New York in the past, when the infrastructure needed repairs to roads and bridges they raised our fuel taxes, BUT those taxes were not dedicated to only road/bridge repairs. Those funds were added to the general fund and was used to fund anything else our great elected officials chose. The Governor is now calling for additional fees to cover repairs to our failing transportation systems......roads/bridges. We pay the largest state fuel taxes in the US now, if not first it must be the second largest. If a business misappropriated monies, as this state does, they would be charged and you know where they would end up. A country club with bars......
HappiestCamper
Or to cover the fees for Client #9....

QUOTE(Butch @ Mar 10 2008, 10:45 AM) *

Here in New York in the past, when the infrastructure needed repairs to roads and bridges they raised our fuel taxes, BUT those taxes were not dedicated to only road/bridge repairs. Those funds were added to the general fund and was used to fund anything else our great elected officials chose. The Governor is now calling for additional fees to cover repairs to our failing transportation systems......roads/bridges. We pay the largest state fuel taxes in the US now, if not first it must be the second largest. If a business misappropriated monies, as this state does, they would be charged and you know where they would end up. A country club with bars......

Butch
QUOTE(HappiestCamper @ Mar 12 2008, 08:45 AM) *

Or to cover the fees for Client #9....

Just goes to prove you never know but does follow the position that there are those, who hold certain offices/jobs that have the mentality that they are above the law. Sic....... Bets are that he will never be prosecuted under any law but will be able to resign and go on with his life. His life is changed forever, and will never be to the level as before this situation was brought to the forefront. His arrogance, ego, and the power just got the best of him.... in just over a year in office his approval rating went from 73% to 23% because of his arrogance, ego, and his trying to run the State as a dictatorship. One could see his fall from power was on the horizon but never thought that an issue, the likes of this, would be the undoing of his "reign"....

PS;
The Governor did resign today, March 12th, as he had no allies within the legislature
and was about to be brought up on an impeachment charge. A total disgrace and embarrassment to the citizens of the State of New York, and of course his wife and family............
surely we may never know the full story of ten years of using this establishment and the expenditure of $ 80,000.00 ........... A sad ending to a millionaire's raise and fall.........

Just hope the LT. Governor, his replacement on Monday, March17th, is not more of the same.....
rodman
I sure hated to do it but we have had to park the TT. With fuel well over $4 a gallon and the higher cost of RV parks it's just to expensive to take it out right now. We are hoping the cost will come down before the summer but aren't holding our breath. Sure would hate to have to get ride of it. Maybe one of these days we'll be able to know who's fault all this is.

As always just my opinion,
DXSMac
In WA we have high gas taxes, because we don't have a state income tax. Someone (was it this thread, or another thread....) thought that wasn't necessarily the reason for WA state. Ok, a friend of mine posed another theory. In WA, we USED to have to pay an excise tax on our car license plates. License plates, $20, Excise Tax, $350 (average....based on weight of your car). These taxes went to fund our transporation infrastructure (to include the ferries that we are curently having problems with....). Well, with competition from OR, who has cheap license plates, and ID, who also has cheap license plates, and people "sneaking" to those states to license their cars, we had a (I think it came up through voter's initiative process....) ballot in (I think....) 2002, we we voted to get rid of the excise tax. This ended up being short sighted by the voters (and I forgot how I voted on that one...). Not only did we lose that funding to the infrastructure (and now our ferries are having problems....), but we lost a great tax write off for the Form 1040!

JJ
Beastdriver
jj: I don't know about other taxes, but the taxes on liquor in Washington state are draconian. I know, if we plan to be in Washington for any time, we will stock up in Oregon or Idaho. The last I bought a fifth of liquor in Washington, it drove me to drink.
DXSMac
QUOTE(Beastdriver @ Mar 17 2008, 11:45 AM) *

jj: I don't know about other taxes, but the taxes on liquor in Washington state are draconian. I know, if we plan to be in Washington for any time, we will stock up in Oregon or Idaho. The last I bought a fifth of liquor in Washington, it drove me to drink.

Well, we don't have an income tax, and we don't want one, so the money has to come from somewhere......

We also have a heft sales tax.

JJ
Jerry S
Hi again everybody,

It has been 3 months since I started this poll and, so far, 50 forum members have been kind enough to partake in it. Thank you.

First, I want to mention that I really should have put this under General Chat. No harm, I guess. I just hope nobody missed this poll because of my error. Actually, it probably would have been more likely overlooked it had been in the other section. I would imagine more people skip General Chat than Campground Discussion.

I found the results of the poll to be quite interesting:

1. Since only 20% of the respondents said they used their RVs less than a month per year, it would seem that most of the other 80% are not limited to using their RVs for just vacation and a few weekends. Since more than half are on the road more than 2 months a year, I am guessing most of those are retired(or semi) or can/do work out of the RV.

2. For years I have read that the average RVer drives 6-8,000 miles a year. The poll seems to support that figure since 74% say they drive under 10,000 miles. So it would seem that even though they use their RVs a lot do not really put a lot of miles on them. I've often wondered how much of some RVer's total mileage was just going from their northern home to their winter home and back.

3. As I surmised in my original post, most (62%) of the respondents are not letting fuel prices their RV usage/mileage. I guess that in addition to the healthy economic position many folks on this forum are in, the low mileage a surprising number of them drive their RV's is another factor in not reducing their usage.

Personally, I am in the 101-150 days, 10,001-15,000 miles, and Yes categories. I could have almost justified being in the over 15,000 miles category. From 1996 to 2003 I put on almost 150,000 miles for an average of 18,000+ miles a year. Since 2004 I have 52,000 in 4 years (13,000/yr.). I averaged almost 8,000 miles a year in my first RV (1990-1996). I started cutting back on my mileage back in 2004. I have also reduced my number of days on the road per year by at least 10 days (from about 140 to 125-130) saving at least $300 in camping and other daily costs. So far, it has worked for me.

Two suggestions:

With a little thought and self -denial (something I am not always good at), those of us on a tighter budget can "find" that extra $500 to keep us travelling. No more Starbucks, one less dinner out a week, etc. Eliminating little things that cost just $10 a week saves $520 in a year.

For those of you considering cancelling that trip of a lifetime to Alaska, the Grand Canyon, Washington, etc., remember that chances are we will never see $3 a gallon fuel again. If you don't want to spend that extra grand for this year's $4 fuel, how are you going to feel if it is $5 next year. As long as you can still pay your bills and don't go into debt for fuel, take your trip now or you may never be able to do it.

With the current predictions of fuel being over $4 this summer, has anybody changed their mind since they first took this poll?

Just my 8 cents worth (reflecting the 4 fold increase in fuel in the last 4 years).

Jerry S.
Texasrvers
We have been talking about a really long (miles and time) trip in the fall, but I'm not sure if we'll go. We may stay a little closer to home. We hadn't really made up our minds about going before the price jump, so I can't say the gas prices changed our minds. Four dollars a gallon is outrageous, but if we really wanted to go we could. And we still might. Like Jerry said if we don't do it now we might not get the chance in the future. We aren't getting younger, you know.

A little off topic, but along the same lines has anyone noticed how campground prices have gone up, too? When we first started RVing 8 years ago we could find a decent full hook up site for $20-25 dollars. Today that same kind of site is $30-35 or more. Funny thing, though, our monthly retirement check hasn't gone up hardly a dime. Go figure.
DXSMac
I still want to do my Pennsylvania trip, despite gas prices. My only "saving grace" is that gas prices are higher in the West and will get cheaper in the East in some states.

As for "cutting back...." I'm not sure where I can cut back. I always cook my own dinners in the RV, I don't drink coffee. I guess I could switch from fresh vegetables to canned or frozen...... Ok, I can cut back on "s'mores." I always buy graham crackers, hershey bars, and marshmallows. (I use the microwave for marshmallows, it works, but not as good as a campfire!)

JJ
Parkview
smile.gif

" I can't wait to get on the road again ...." . I bought a new 40' diesel pusher in 2006, and because of family health issues, it has spent way too much time parked beside my house. The health issues have ended, and this Fall I finally am going to take an extended trip regardless of what fuel prices might be at that time. I intend to do the Rocky Mountain states and eventually make it to Laughlin, my favorite Casino Rving destination. Hope to see some of you on the road.
FosterImposters
QUOTE(Jerry S. @ Apr 11 2008, 08:13 PM) *

...For those of you considering cancelling that trip of a lifetime to Alaska, the Grand Canyon, Washington, etc., remember that chances are we will never see $3 a gallon fuel again...
Jerry S.

You've got a good point here Jerry. rolleyes.gif
Thank heavens for locking fuel doors on our RV's !!! May have to invest in one for the tow-car... wink.gif
Most excellent poll, by the way.
jperera
We have just started a cross country trip - from West to East. We will be gone about 3 1/2 mos. We have tried to take this trip twice before and family things came up that prohibited us from being gone so long. We thought about the price of fuel but we decided we needed to do it. As Jerry said, it may be $5/gallon next year. Besides, we don't know what another year will bring. I don't want to stay home another year planning on going in 09 then have something happen that would prevent it. I don't want to keep saying "if only we had gone".
Lee and Fran
When I joined this forum I was a summer rv user. We are now fulltimers as of last Oct. We are not on the road as much as I would like to be but cannot afford to be, so for now we workamp as volunteers in National Parks.
DXSMac
QUOTE(Lee and Fran @ Apr 19 2008, 10:30 AM) *

When I joined this forum I was a summer rv user. We are now fulltimers as of last Oct. We are not on the road as much as I would like to be but cannot afford to be, so for now we workamp as volunteers in National Parks.

But you still have freedom, you can leave if you want. You can move on and just take your house with you!

JJ
Terry10
QUOTE(John S. @ Jan 12 2008, 09:17 AM) *

Well, I am the only one in the 20k plus miles. I just like to travel but still work so I use it as much as I can. I used to use it to visit family in Iowa Texas and AZ all starting in VA and each one a separate trip. Now I just go to SPokane washington once a year and thte rest of family is alot closer (Richmond). It will be interesting to see if I drop in my milae but it will not be due to fuel prices. In fact I am very happy I put all those miles on with cheap fuel. I have traveled in the MH 165k miles in 5 years so that is alot of fuel at 8 miles a gallon or lessdepending on genset use and aquahot use. Interesting poll but if you think about it what is the difference between 2.50 and 3.50 a gallon for fuel. It is a dollar. SO you drive a 4000 mile trip and get 8 mpg you will use 500 gallons of fuel so the whole trip cost an extra 500 bucks. Now how many times do you eat out or do you have to stay in a campground. I do not on my travels till I get where I am going. If you can save 40 bucks a day that way traveling then you will be able to travel still. I mean at 8 mpg and an exta 40 bucks will allow you to buy 40 gallons o fuel for 2.50 then you will be able to travel 320 miles on that 40 gallons. So if you travel only 300 miles a day which I see alot of people doing then you stay in a truck stop or a wal mart you have the same cost as if the fuel was alot cheaper or if you have to use your genny then maybe you can only go 300 miles since the last 2 gallons will be used in the genset.

I am a full-time RV'er. We are retired and live and travel in our motorhome. I was reading and agreeing with your comments until I got to the $40.00 per night staying in a campground in leu of boondoggling in a Walmart parking lot or highway rest area. I must say I have never in my entire experience of RV travel paid $40.00 for a single night stay in a campground.

Traveling along highways there are more and more small overnighter type RV campgrounds springing up all over the country in every state. Most charge $10.00 to $15.00 and offer full hook-ups. I find being able to hook up to electricity for the night to be well worth spending the $10.00 to $15.00 charge. Convienence and comfort are well worth the small price paid. I would certainly like to know where these $40.00 per night highway campgrounds are located so I make sure I pass them by and never stop.
pianotuna
Hi Terry,

Where do you find these 10 to 15 dollar campgrounds that offer full hookups? Thanks!

QUOTE(Terry10 @ Apr 27 2008, 11:54 PM) *

I am a full-time RV'er. We are retired and live and travel in our motorhome. I was reading and agreeing with your comments until I got to the $40.00 per night staying in a campground in leu of boondoggling in a Walmart parking lot or highway rest area. I must say I have never in my entire experience of RV travel paid $40.00 for a single night stay in a campground.

Traveling along highways there are more and more small overnighter type RV campgrounds springing up all over the country in every state. Most charge $10.00 to $15.00 and offer full hook-ups. I find being able to hook up to electricity for the night to be well worth spending the $10.00 to $15.00 charge. Convienence and comfort are well worth the small price paid. I would certainly like to know where these $40.00 per night highway campgrounds are located so I make sure I pass them by and never stop.

rodman
QUOTE(Terry10 @ Apr 27 2008, 10:54 PM) *

If you think $40 a night for F/H is high, I'd avoid California. Don't know of any $10-$15 in this state.

Just my opinion,
FosterImposters
QUOTE(Terry10 @ Apr 27 2008, 10:54 PM) *

I would certainly like to know where these $40.00 per night highway campgrounds are located so I make sure I pass them by and never stop.

Hello Terry10. cool.gif
We too are retired, full-time RV'ers. What part of the country do you folks travel and stay?
Got a bit spoiled when we visited family in SW Iowa and toured around middle America. Could easily find full-hook-ups in the $25/$35 range. These were nice, clean city or Mom/Pop "hiway" campgrounds...not RV resorts on golf courses.
Sorry to report that's not so anymore in California, Utah along the major hiways/biways.
So...to answer your question, steer clear of the heavily populated areas (or rapidly growning areas) of our nation. rolleyes.gif
Heading north this year: Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana...perhaps Canada. Here's to finding more reasonable accomodations! biggrin.gif Cheers!
Testudo
As a follow up to my March 10th comments....

I don't remember how I answered the 'yes or no' question but I probably said "yes" because I had already made up my mind to reduce our average daily mileage on our 2008 Western trip. But lately, we decided to reduce our annual nights camped. We camp from 16 to 20 nights annually on weekends - - a friday and saturday night. We decided that we weren't getting much bang for our buck on these trips because we pretty much have to drive 400 miles round trip to get away from it all.

We expected to do 70-75 nights in 2008 and that we would be shooting for about 75 nights in the coming years. Part of the reason that we do weekends is that, for many RVers, that is _all_ they do -- and we emulated that to a large extent. Not that we didn't enjoy our weekends but by cutting most of them out, we can reduce our camper miles by 25% -- 9,000 annual miles instead of 12,000 -- that's a lot of fuel at 12 miles to the gallon. There is also a lot of complicated loading and unloading that we won't have to do (we live under an HOA so we have to push our camper into our garage).

We have about 4 weekends already reserved for this year so we will go ahead and take those trips but we aren't going to dream up any more to fill the empty weekends. Also, we plan to take off on only one or two weekends in 2009.

I've seen one-year crude oil prices forecasts from $90 to $155. At the lower price I would expect some gasoline price relief from the current figure. At the upper end, I would expect gasoline prices to be up around $4.75. While we like to go on our trips, our interests lie thousands of miles from home so probably eight to nine thousand of our annual miles (around 75% of our camper miles) is just to get "there" and back. Dropping the weekend trips should reduce that by about 3,000 miles, since they are virtually all 'get there and back' miles.
Butch

With the higher pricing of fuel as of late, we have been using the local campgrounds, under fifty miles and less than a hour from home for the last two years. We can get away just as well at the closer Cgs at a less expensive traveling cost. We are not the only ones using this practise as the local Cogs' business has increased over the last two years. We do not seem to get tired of the same old place because we meet up with and renew past friendships and of course make new ones.
Lee and Fran
We have found that when traveling if we find the places between the bigger towns they seem to be a lot cheaper than closer to towns. In the past year my camping costs were 2655. Thats an average of 7 dollars a night. If one stays longer at sites and also looks for places along the highways away from large populations you will find the lower prices parks running from 15 to 25 a night. And when you stay for a month or pay for a month and stay as long as you feel you got your moneys worth you can find prices under 250 a month. Thats 8 dollars or less a night per month and just stay for say three weeks of the month that is still 11 dollars a night.
John S.
QUOTE(Terry10 @ Apr 27 2008, 09:54 PM) *

Terry, I spent 150 a night at one resort type place. Try Cherry Hill in the DC area right of I 495 infact you can hear the noise it is 55 dollars the other option is the regional park in centerville called bull run and that is listed on this site at 40 dollars.. Also try there is one in new jersey called Liberty Harbor and some KOAs and jellystones are that much. I have also stopped at interstate overnight campgrounds. I will say out in the mid west and west it is chaper but the east coast and resort areas and beach area and many other places along the interstates on the east coast are getting there. They post a 35 dollar a night rate and then have 4 or 5 dollars in taxes.... Also in a 42 footer you do not always have as many options and I have not come across many that are in the 10 to 15 dollar range at all.
DXSMac
I'm paying $40 a night (well, $36 with Good Sam discount) at a small RV park in back of a motel in Spokane right now. This park is on a good bus line, I ride the bus to visit my Mom. Is it worth $40? You be the judge.....

JJ
moqui51
Luckily for us we have been RV'ing for about 20 years and we have been to all 48 states when the gas was much cheaper. I am now grateful that we got the chance to do it as we have just decided this year that we will have to make a decision on whether or not we want to keep bleeding money to enjoy the RV.

We love our RV, but when you figure out the cost of Fuel, higher campground rates, higher insurance fees, higher costs of eating out once in a while, and just plain high costs, we are no longer sure we are getting enough enjoyment out of doing this.

Just today I had to decide if I really wanted to spend 16.00 in gas just to visit a farm that is a tourist attraction. If I added the other places of interest to this trip, to try to get it all done in one trip, I think the cost would be from 60.00 to 80.00 in fuel, and I can't get excited about doing that. It just doesn't seem worth it to me anymore.

We have also decided that we will no longer drive our RV to visit our relatives, but we will drive our car to visit and stay with them. smile.gif Let's hope they are agreeable to this. LOL

We no longer drive over 700 miles from our home, and the last few years have not gone more than around 500 miles from home. For us to take any longer trips I would have to convince my husband to consider working at the campgrounds, something he has resisted so far.

The high cost of fuel has really taken a toll on us the last few years, plus add to that general increasing costs of insurance...FLORIDA!

Jerry S
Hi, it's me again.

Recently returned from our first trip of the year - 4 weeks down to MS and LA and back. This has been our annual May trip for over 10 years. To combat the increase in fuel prices, I did three things:

1. We cut the trip length by a week. This is the first time in in years that the trip has not been 5 weeks. Savings: at least $200 in park fees and road food costs.

2. We did no superfulous driving. Our route (Chicago - Memphis - Vicksburg - Marksville, LA - Kinder, LA and back the same way) was under 2100 miles. In the past we would often go other places (Biloxi, Baton Rouge, Lafayette, N.O., Branson, St. Louis, etc.) and the entire trip would be over 3,000 miles. Savings: $2-400.

3. On the Interstate portions of the trip (about 1100 miles), I kept the speed under 55 mph. I usually keep it just under 60 on interstates. I got almost 11 miles per gallon on those stretches - about a mile better than usual. Savings: minimal, maybe $25. That same efficiency could save me a couple hundred bucks this summer on my planned trip to NM, CO, WY, MT, and ID.

Additionally, on the way home last week, I paid $3.65 in MO, $3.95 in southern IL, and $4.09 just south of Chicago. Any bets on whether or not my $4, 90% full tank will be a bargain when I leave at the end of June?

Although the trip was shorter than usual and had less variety in places visited, we still enjoyed it. We will probably be less time and cost frugal when we make the same October trip since it will be our last trip of the year before returning for the long Chicago winter.

I hope my experience can help some RVers figure out ways to keep on the road. Maybe not as long or as far, but still on the road.
rangiebob
QUOTE(Jerry S. @ Jan 11 2008, 09:40 PM) *

Hi everybody,

Jerry, congratulations on your one year anniversary! We just celebrated our second year of full-time living in our motor home and we haven't killed each other yet! biggrin.gif We travel around the country for our business, so in response to the questions about the price of fuel, we will just have to suck it up as part of our cost of doing business! Luckily, almost all related expenses of living in our MH are deductible.
bj41
QUOTE(John S. @ May 10 2008, 11:03 PM) *

Terry, I spent 150 a night at one resort type place. Try Cherry Hill in the DC area right of I 495 infact you can hear the noise it is 55 dollars the other option is the regional park in centerville called bull run and that is listed on this site at 40 dollars.. Also try there is one in new jersey called Liberty Harbor and some KOAs and jellystones are that much. I have also stopped at interstate overnight campgrounds. I will say out in the mid west and west it is chaper but the east coast and resort areas and beach area and many other places along the interstates on the east coast are getting there. They post a 35 dollar a night rate and then have 4 or 5 dollars in taxes.... Also in a 42 footer you do not always have as many options and I have not come across many that are in the 10 to 15 dollar range at all.

Hi,
If you live on the east coast, $40.00 a night is normal and on holidays you might pay almost 60.00.
I know I live there and it is the norm, I was very surprised when we traveled out west 2 years ago and saw how much cheaper it is for campgrounds.
Over Memorial Day this year, it cost us $198.00 for 4 nights.
Florida Native
We just postponed a great planned trip to follow the Great River road up to the headwaters of the Mississippi with an Eastern side trip to the Ohio Amish country and MI, then with a Western side trip to “pick up” the Dakota’s and Montana so we could complete the lower 48 states. The reason you might have guessed is high fuel cost. We are going to go on some much shorter trips with longer stays at each stop. Hopefully the time away will be about the same and hopefully the fun will be the same, but we won’t be burning a thousand gallons of fuel.
Onemoretrail
Gas in Canada has hit the 5 to 6 buck a gallon threshold and has definitely curbed my motorhome usage this summer. I still want to go across Canada and the States next summer, but I figure it will cost me 40-50% (that's a conservative estimate) more than the last time I did it three years ago. I notice not as many American RVs driving thru our valley this summer and wonder how it is affecting the Alaska RV parks?
Jerry S
Just an update to my 6/08 post about what you can do to save mony on fuel while traveling. My summer trip was 6700 miles and I did it on 590 gallons of gas (11+ mpg). On previous trips like that out west with a lot of mountain driving, I would usually get under 10 mpg. I was able to get over 10+% better mileage by simply slowing down about 5 mph. I went from (my usual) just under 60 mph to under 55 mph on the interstates (which consituted about 4000+ miles of the trip). On open, two lane highways, I might go up to 60 to placate other drivers. I would pull over when necessary and, fortunately, there were plenty of passing lanes. On tough mountain grades, I would usually end up behind a semi doing 35-40 in 2nd gear. This slight slowdown save me over $250 on this trip. My guess (an I think I read it somewhere), is that dropping from 70 mph to 55 mph can improve fuel efficiency 15-20%. I realize that driving under 55 mph or not doing over the speed limit is not "macho", but it certainly saves money on fuel. Just a thought for those of us who have the time to travel at a slower pace.
Jerry S
Now that I am done traveling for the year (just in time for the fuel prices to drop 50% from their summer highs), I thought I'd make a few (possibly) final comments in this thread. Not all of them will be pertinent to the topic.

I ended up doing 11,000 miles (3 trips: 2100, 6700, and 2200 miles) for the year. This, is by far, the fewest miles I have traveled since my retirement in 1995. Between reducing my total mileage by about 2,000 miles and the reduction in mph mentioned in my previous post, I problably saved almost $1,000 in fuel expenses. I still spent about $3,000 for fuel for the year but it would have been closer to $4,000 without the adjustments I made.

My comments in a previous posts concerning the poll results still hold pretty much true. The one thing I hopefully got wrong was my prediction that next year's prices would not be any better. The way thing stand right now, even I don't think we will be seeing prices next year exceding this past summer's $4+ per gallon. My guess is that the oil companies found that at $4/gal so many people cut back on driving that the total gallons sold during the summer was down significantly. I am sure that other factors (the general economic situation, for one) enter into the equation, but I think the oil industries found that magic price at which drivers would reduce their fuel usage.

Assuming we don't return to anywhere near last summer's price levels, I was certainly wrong in my advice earlier this year to not put off those 2008 trips because 2009 would probably be even more expensive. Those of you who did delay your trips look like winners now. Good luck with next year.

On a personal note (if anybody cares), I did reach a milestone (how appropriate) this year. I surpassed 250,000 miles RV miles this year. It took 18 years - 45K in my final 5 years as a working stiff and 208K in 4-5 months a year since retiring. That is all RV miles on 3 Class C motorhomes.

I've got 2 last reviews to do from my October trip and then be ready to get a little more involved in the forum. Although I've made an occassional post the past few months there are several topics I've held off on commenting on during my RV season (late April through early Novemeber). I've even noticed more than a few "testy" discussions in recent weeks without any of my often contrarian involvement .
wolverine767
between 10,000 and 20,000 miles here. Gas prices have only affected us slightly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.