Click to view attachmentOk, everybody, I'm brand new at this. I'm a single southwest airlines pilot with a big idea. I am based out of Vegas, and I hate it here, but I need to continue to fly my trips from here. I like to hunt/fish/camp/hike/bike, and in Las Vegas there is only drink/gamble/sex/sleep it off, repeat as required until early, untimely bankrupt death.
So, I'm going to give back my rental house, and buy a big 5th wheel and live in it for a year with my black lab. My plan is to "live" in the Reno, Nevada area first, and experience the summer there. That way, I can "commute" back and forth on the airline to work.
I have no experience with 5th wheels, but I'm a farm boy from Ohio (also an F-16 combat vet from Iraqi freedom), so I'll figure it out pretty quick. I just bought a new GMC 2500HD ext cab duramax as step one. So, I'm asking you for the basics:
- Buying the 5th wheel: Considering this will be my primary residence for a year....
- Brand? - Size? -Necessities? -Winter? -Price range I should expect?
- I'm thinking about a 35 ft+ toy hauler and adding a KLR650 for running around.
- Where do I park the truck and 5th wheel while I'm gone for 3 or 4 days working?
- Where do I leave the black lab? Any good dogsitters in Reno?
- Is there a long-term site ,with some privacy, in Reno where I can pay for it monthly and get 50amp/water/sewer? (like a "docking site" to come back to at will?)
- What basic security concerns should I have in leaving my truck and camper parked for days at a time? Is there a security system I should install?
If there is already a post that answers these things, please direct me. Otherwise, thank you for replying and toting me along. Please email anytime.