My wife and I are planning a three week trip starting in Miami on 08 February which will be our first (hopefully of many) RV trip. We are coming over from the UK and plan to hire a RV for the duration. We would like a one way rental picking up in Miami and dropping off in either New Orleans or somewhere in Texas. We would like to travel around a bit but not be on the road every day. I would think that three days is the most we'd like to spend at any one spot. I have only looked briefly into Florida and the three places that caught my eye were Key West, Kennedy Space Centre and, as we'll be nearby, Disney. From there we'd like to go on and experience a good taste of the south, visiting some small towns and whatever attractions there are. I'm thinking Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and if time Texas. I understand that it's winter and don't mind cool weather but would like it to be over and above 10 degrees C and some sunshine thrown in too.
I have several questions which I'd appreciate advice on:
1) Would we need reservations at sites this time of year? I quite like the idea of flexibility to stay an extra night or go early but don't want to be limited to the poor sites as all the good ones are full. Will the sites be busy with holiday makers or long term residents?
2) Any suggestions for reputable hire companies that do one way rentals? Do the hires come with everything you need or do you have to take kitchen stuff and bed linen etc. Would sat nav be a good idea?
3) I thought a standard RV of about 25 foot would be about right for me, the missus and the baby. I have never driven anything bigger than an SUV; are these standard size RVs the one for me?
4) Any ideas for a suggested itiniery? Is it reasonable to go from Miami to New Orleans or Dallas in the time we have without rushing along?
5) We have an 11 months old baby - any special considerations?
6) Whilst I accept the weather cannot be relied on, is it fair to assume it won't be too artic in the places we intend to go?
7) Is it worth getting a pass/membership that offers discounts at RV parks? Can you recommend a book or guide that covers RV ing in the areas we wish to go?
8) Once you park the RV up, do you then use it for local transport? If not, taxis?
9) Anything obvious I'm missing.
Sorry for the load of questions but I can see that this trip will require a lot of planning to make it go well.
Thanks in advance for your help