QUOTE(pianotuna @ Aug 3 2009, 10:52 AM)
Wow--5 amps for essentially lost energy. I'm floored. I think my system draws about 100 watts (1 amp) when "nothing is turned on". but I have no wall warts to suck up power.
I agree, in your case the start up draw would most likely flip the breaker if one AC unit was already running. Is that 13.5 amps a guess or a measurement?
The 13.5 amps is a measurement. Our rig has a system that displays the volts, amps, and frequency on each of the two 120 VAC legs. When we turn on either AC the draw on that leg increases by 13.5 amps after it is past the startup phase.
I agree, five amps is a lot of "lost power", but when you add up the parasitic draws from the various gee-gaws on board, it isn't surprising: two laptops, rechargeable battery charger, one or two cell phones charging, PDA charging, printer, microwave, three TVs, portable vac, VCR, DVD player/home entertainment center, Dish Network DVR, video signal distribution box, inverter/charger for both house and chassis batteries, coffee maker, fan for entertainment center, etc. That doesn't count lights or the stuff running off the chassis batteries.
Remember, we aren't "camping". This is our home.
2004 Beaver Monterey