Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Family Friendly Campgrounds
RV Park Reviews Campground Discussion Forum > RV Park and Campground Discussions > RV Park Discussions
coacbcps
Why do some camp grounds advertise that they are family friendly then charge a per child/per night fee? sad.gif Twice I was suckered into staying at camp grounds that charged for kids. We were camping with a group and I wasn't aware of the extra charge since I didn't place the initial reservation. You would think that they would at least give you two kids for free. At both campgrounds I had to pay for the children but the DOG was FREE! tongue.gif It's very irritating because I see one price ($35) but end up paying up to $10 more for my girls. It might be psychological but I hate having to pay extra for my children. At a "family friendly" camp ground my children should be acknowledged as being part of my family! What are your thoughts?
summerland
I agree with you, but unfortunately its a business and a very common practice. If a child is over 5, they usually are charged for.
Tom

This just happened to us this year, for the first time. All campgrounds we've stayed in over the years have included up to 6 people, more if they are immediate family. There are usually restrictions about extra tents or campers per site.

Late this summer we stayed at a Very expensive campground, and the rates are for only 2 (TWO) people! Anyone "extra" costs extra. A family of 4 has to pay for two "extra" people. It really left a bad taste for me, and a much lighter wallet.

We still camp with our pre-16 year old teenaged kids. I guess I could see getting charged extra if they were older, but I won't be thrilled about it.

I agree, a "family" campground should include immediate family members in the fee, at least 4 people and preferably up to 6. Otherwise they should describe their campground differently.
nicki
They should only charge for your children if it has been made clear in advance that this is their policy, either on their website or on the phone when making the reservation. I think all of the CG's I have stayed at who charge a per-child fee were upfront about it in advance. I feel the fee is justifiable if they offer free amenities that typically children would be mostly using. That way, child-free adult campers aren't paying for amenities they will never use. Even so, I would feel very duped if this charge were sprung on me at check-in time.
coacbcps
QUOTE(Tom @ Oct 19 2009, 08:30 AM) *

This just happened to us this year, for the first time. All campgrounds we've stayed in over the years have included up to 6 people, more if they are immediate family. There are usually restrictions about extra tents or campers per site.

Late this summer we stayed at a Very expensive campground, and the rates are for only 2 (TWO) people! Anyone "extra" costs extra. A family of 4 has to pay for two "extra" people. It really left a bad taste for me, and a much lighter wallet.

We still camp with our pre-16 year old teenaged kids. I guess I could see getting charged extra if they were older, but I won't be thrilled about it.

I agree, a "family" campground should include immediate family members in the fee, at least 4 people and preferably up to 6. Otherwise they should describe their campground differently.

So it's not just me . . . it left a bad taste for me as well. To me the word "family" implies more than two . . . TWO is a COUPLE. To some reading this post, $5 per child might not sound like much but it adds up over a weeklong stay.
meatwagon45
To me, this is not "family friendly". More like friendly for cash. I understand it costs money to run a campground and added people add stress to the sanitary services, but the line needs to be drawn somewhere. Any campground advertising that they are "family friendly" and charge for kids would get an automatic negative review. They should be honest and raise their rates so a family would not be caught with the rate hike surprise. If you end up staying after they jack the rate, talk to other campers at the campground about it. If others hear the dissatisfaction, they too will make some noise.
languiduck
I feel the same way. In fact I'm at the point now where I will absolutely refuse to book or stay at a CG that charges extra for small children. If that's how they are, then I already know I don't want to stay there. Another reason why I am thankful for my VA state parks.
Galli
Well, yes I believe that's annoying having to pay these extra charges, I don't know to the place that you go but when I sign the winter contract, in my agreement it is specified the number of persons allowed to occupy the spot, therefore, if you agreement read with the same conditions !!! it is part of the contract.
meatwagon45
All of my camping is on weekends only. We do not go seasonal or really spend more than 3 nights in our trailer. If I see a campground advertising that they are a family or family friendly campground, I will visit them. That said, if they tell me I need to pay more for my 3 year old daughter or my 1 year old son due to "extra services" then I will not be staying.

If a campground is respectable and makes it clear in their advertising that kids cost X more, then fine, they are letting me know in advance. What that tells me is either their rates are going to be the lowest in the area for 2 adults, or they do not want kids there.

Galli
QUOTE(meatwagon45 @ Oct 25 2009, 08:45 PM) *

All of my camping is on weekends only. We do not go seasonal or really spend more than 3 nights in our trailer. If I see a campground advertising that they are a family or family friendly campground, I will visit them. That said, if they tell me I need to pay more for my 3 year old daughter or my 1 year old son due to "extra services" then I will not be staying.

If a campground is respectable and makes it clear in their advertising that kids cost X more, then fine, they are letting me know in advance. What that tells me is either their rates are going to be the lowest in the area for 2 adults, or they do not want kids there.

I understand that you are upset but unfortunately, I cannot agree with you, Family friendly it means that they accept children and should be inclined to deal with family necessity, however, that's not dealing with the number of persons eligible to be at the camp.
I honestly would act like you , namely, next time I shall look for a place more reasonable but as long as the contract for staying specifies the number of people, they can charge you for any head above said number.
One thing there is to consider, you may go there with one extra person/child and you are upset for being charge for it, let’s say they let the child stay free, the next one may have two, other with three other again with… etc.., where do we draw the line ?
If I may give you a suggestion, before moving to a specific campsite why don't you call them to clarify this subject ?
The issue concerning the extra charge, I believe may be based on the fact that extra people implies more persons in the swimming pool, using more hot water in showers, if the electricity is included in the daily rates, extra person uses more electricity and other facilities that were evaluated per cost per site including a specific number of people.
I agree with you but, we also have to see their position, they are there to make money and if we change the contract conditions, they have the right to collect the extra .
I am sorry…., I would be upset like you but I cannot criticize the owner.
endofrope
I have stopped visiting campgrounds that charge extra for more than 2 people, or for children. Most state parks (in California and Utah for sure) and all National Parks charge a flat fee, and extra for a dog, or more than two vehicles. If private campgrounds want to gouge their guests, they will have to do so without my business.
mdcamping
I certainly don't like paying the extra per night for kids, and I agree that family resort style campgrounds rates should be based on a family of four or more.

I've never stayed away from any campground because of that policy, However what I look for is how maintained,staffed,amenities and most importantly ( for me at least ) security...campgrounds that will enforce it...IMO

Mike
KentuckyCampin
I am with the majority here!!! If a campground charges extra for my kids, then we will not stay there. I can see some charging for anyone that is not immediate family, but not for my kids.
Those campgrounds do not get my business. Camping for us is a family oriented way for us to spend good quality time together, and IMHO, a campground that will charge extra per child is just gouging campers. biggrin.gif
KentuckyCampin
QUOTE(Galli @ Oct 26 2009, 12:54 AM) *

I understand that you are upset but unfortunately, I cannot agree with you, Family friendly it means that they accept children and should be inclined to deal with family necessity, however, that's not dealing with the number of persons eligible to be at the camp.
I honestly would act like you , namely, next time I shall look for a place more reasonable but as long as the contract for staying specifies the number of people, they can charge you for any head above said number.
One thing there is to consider, you may go there with one extra person/child and you are upset for being charge for it, let’s say they let the child stay free, the next one may have two, other with three other again with… etc.., where do we draw the line ?
If I may give you a suggestion, before moving to a specific campsite why don't you call them to clarify this subject ?
The issue concerning the extra charge, I believe may be based on the fact that extra people implies more persons in the swimming pool, using more hot water in showers, if the electricity is included in the daily rates, extra person uses more electricity and other facilities that were evaluated per cost per site including a specific number of people.
I agree with you but, we also have to see their position, they are there to make money and if we change the contract conditions, they have the right to collect the extra .
I am sorry…., I would be upset like you but I cannot criticize the owner.

I have to disagree with you on the price of water and electricity.
I have numerous friends who live in apartments and their highest electric bill is $60 and water around $25. And that is for 1 month. If a campground has say 45 sites and charge $35 per night, and those sites are full over a typical weekend, that is $3150 in two days!!!! And there are typically 4 weekends per month, that is $12,600!!! Not a bad take for a month!
There is no way a typical family of 4 can use $70 worth of electric and water in 2 days.
Granted, a campground has other bills it must pay to stay in business, however, not every campground has a pool.
I know, trash pick-up, employees, etc. etc. etc. also come into play, but I just feel that this is another way for some campgrounds to make an extra ton of money!! Because even if they charged $5 per kid, a family of four is now spending $90 for a weekend. Thats a big difference in overall income for the campground. $4050 for the weekend if all sites have 4 or more people camping, and $16,200 for the month. That does not even include campers who stay during the week as well!!!!! If all 45 sites were full all month long and ran AC, The campground still comes out waaaay on top! For a family of 3 in all 45 sites for 30 days, that is $54K for the month. No way could the campground have an electric bill even close to that!!!!!!
I know, this is unrealistic for a campground to be full all the time, but Im just making a point. Granted that most campgrounds are pretty much empty through the week, and make most of their money on the weekend campers, is an honest assessment. But if no one is camping during the week, then there is no electric and water usage.
So do you see my argument??

So I cant agree with you on this one, no way, no how!!! mad.gif
Galli
QUOTE(KentuckyCampin @ Oct 28 2009, 06:05 PM) *

I have to disagree with you on the price of water and electricity.
I have numerous friends who live in apartments and their highest electric bill is $60 and water around $25. And that is for 1 month. If a campground has say 45 sites and charge $35 per night, and those sites are full over a typical weekend, that is $3150 in two days!!!! And there are typically 4 weekends per month, that is $12,600!!! Not a bad take for a month!
There is no way a typical family of 4 can use $70 worth of electric and water in 2 days.
Granted, a campground has other bills it must pay to stay in business, however, not every campground has a pool.
I know, trash pick-up, employees, etc. etc. etc. also come into play, but I just feel that this is another way for some campgrounds to make an extra ton of money!! Because even if they charged $5 per kid, a family of four is now spending $90 for a weekend. Thats a big difference in overall income for the campground. $4050 for the weekend if all sites have 4 or more people camping, and $16,200 for the month. That does not even include campers who stay during the week as well!!!!! If all 45 sites were full all month long and ran AC, The campground still comes out waaaay on top! For a family of 3 in all 45 sites for 30 days, that is $54K for the month. No way could the campground have an electric bill even close to that!!!!!!
I know, this is unrealistic for a campground to be full all the time, but Im just making a point. Granted that most campgrounds are pretty much empty through the week, and make most of their money on the weekend campers, is an honest assessment. But if no one is camping during the week, then there is no electric and water usage.
So do you see my argument??

So I cant agree with you on this one, no way, no how!!! mad.gif

Hi, I like your breakdown of costs and as I said in my first message, If I find anything more convenient, I shall go there myself, however and notwithstanding that, if the cost per day per RV site is based of a specific amount per (i.e. 2; 3; 4; ..etc of people) it means that, they have the right to charge an extra.
A camp side is an agreement submitted to you before taking possession of the spot and if you do change the conditions, they change the price.
One thing I cannot debate with you is the breakdown that you provided in your message first of all, how do you know the cost of the water or electricity, taxes or staff service in a specific part of the world/America is similar among Florida; California or Texas or...... and the location of the camp may have a different commercial value depending of the location, size and facilities; in final, your calculation may be accurate for the full capacity of the campsite but you didn't account for the time that the camp is half empty and they still have to provide all these service.
In closing , I appreciate that you don't agree with me, debating an issue among intelligent and educated persons is always a pleasure and there is always some thing to learn a each end of the conversation.
Regards,
Galli
dalsgal
One thing that makes a difference in apartments and campers is the amount of insulation. We had a couple here for three years and their camper was new and in good shape. They were hooked up to a spot where the electrical box was for their site alone. Their electric bill this past summer was over $200.00 a month....for two people. Campers do tend to use more electricity than a well insulated home. When I looked back over the bills for the last 2 years I saw that it ran that high almost every month that they were here.
kcmoedoe
I can understand where both sides come in. It surely does run up the daily tab to have to pay for extra people and it surely costs the campground more. There is a third side to this triangle. Parks that charge extra for children tend to have a lot less children in the park, advantage KCMOEDOE. I prefer to visit the zoo, not stay in the middle of one. I purposely choose parks that do not cater to families. That being said, a park can be "family friendly" and not be a three ring circus. A pool, a game room, a playground or just the fact that they are not exclusively for 55 and older can make a park "family friendly". I also agree with several other posters, just where would you draw the line before charging? What if the Brady Bunch showed up with 6 kids? John and Kate and their 8? How about Octomom and her 11? It may be a good experience for them, but it would make my stay miserable if I was next door. I never have a problem with a business that is upfront about their pricing. If I don't like it, my rig has wheels. I would expect a park that charges extra for extra people to be upfront with that fact. If they are, I can make an informed decision. Apparently, charging for children is working for the parks that are doing it, because they are still in business.
Galli
QUOTE(kcmoedoe @ Oct 29 2009, 10:11 AM) *

I can understand where both sides come in. It surely does run up the daily tab to have to pay for extra people and it surely costs the campground more. There is a third side to this triangle. Parks that charge extra for children tend to have a lot less children in the park, advantage KCMOEDOE. I prefer to visit the zoo, not stay in the middle of one. I purposely choose parks that do not cater to families. That being said, a park can be "family friendly" and not be a three ring circus. A pool, a game room, a playground or just the fact that they are not exclusively for 55 and older can make a park "family friendly". I also agree with several other posters, just where would you draw the line before charging? What if the Brady Bunch showed up with 6 kids? John and Kate and their 8? How about Octomom and her 11? It may be a good experience for them, but it would make my stay miserable if I was next door. I never have a problem with a business that is upfront about their pricing. If I don't like it, my rig has wheels. I would expect a park that charges extra for extra people to be upfront with that fact. If they are, I can make an informed decision. Apparently, charging for children is working for the parks that are doing it, because they are still in business.

.I think that the main problem is of not reading the agreement before taking possession, I agree with you, if I find to many children I change place since I am more inclined to stay in parks mainly for adults
olivercamper
We own a campground, however, we travel in the winter. I feel your pain....why does a campground want to charge " extra" for cable and wi-fi? Those two items are now a part of the camping experience and should be included in the rate.

Our rate includes water ,electric, cable, sewer, wi-fi and up to 4 people over the age of 5. We feel this is fair to both our busines and our campers. Our rate of $35.00 provides a great clean safe place for your family to camp!

While we do not travel with children we have heard your same comments over and over....the rate should include the average household number of children. We agree!

Perhaps speaking with the offending campground will make a difference when they review their business plan and rate structure.

brep
I am an owner of a park and have struggled with this issue for the past few years. We did, finally, decide to charge for children this year.

Our thinking is this. Why should a family of 2 have to pay as much as a family with 2 to 4 children? There are multiple costs to having all of the extras we have to provide for the little ones. We do not think it fair to overcharge couples so that little ones can be free.

I understand how the families feel but we have to be fair to everyone, don't we? unsure.gif
Galli
QUOTE(brep @ Nov 13 2009, 10:49 AM) *

I am an owner of a park and have struggled with this issue for the past few years. We did, finally, decide to charge for children this year.

Our thinking is this. Why should a family of 2 have to pay as much as a family with 2 to 4 children? There are multiple costs to having all of the extras we have to provide for the little ones. We do not think it fair to overcharge couples so that little ones can be free.

I understand how the families feel but we have to be fair to everyone, don't we? unsure.gif

Brep, I agree with you, if a side is calculated for a specific number of person, every extra one should pay extra.
Lonesoldier
mad.gif So I have to pay for the crumb snatchers laugh.gif Even if I am camping alone. Why? You pay for your kids and I still have to pay the price of two. I am pretty big but don't use as much water or electric than two people. I agree a flat rate for families, 2 or 4 is the best solution but one person should get a discount from the standard charge of two. tongue.gif Of course there is always the ones that will pick up all the neighbor hood kids and bring them along even if they don't have any of their own, because they get the family rate. unsure.gif
parkowner
I am a park owner and our rates are set up for 2 adult people per camper and any extra person 12 years old and older are charged $3.00 a/night.This is set up in our ads and policys.

We have'nt had any complaints at this time and we have been in business since 1983.

Hope this has helped.
Galli
QUOTE(Lonesoldier @ Nov 13 2009, 06:47 PM) *

mad.gif So I have to pay for the crumb snatchers laugh.gif Even if I am camping alone. Why? You pay for your kids and I still have to pay the price of two. I am pretty big but don't use as much water or electric than two people. I agree a flat rate for families, 2 or 4 is the best solution but one person should get a discount from the standard charge of two. tongue.gif Of course there is always the ones that will pick up all the neighbor hood kids and bring them along even if they don't have any of their own, because they get the family rate. unsure.gif

Ha, ha, ha and don't complain, yes I believe that you are alone but when you bring in your girlfriend for the day laugh.gif or a bunch of guys to play cards, how much extra water and electricity are you using .... wink.gif and that without considering the extra garbage (i.e. beer bottles and McDonald’s containers to be thrown away by the resort..... biggrin.gif !!!
And that is also part of a good Samaritan who's sharing the cost with those with too many children...... rolleyes.gif
By the way, consider that, if you are a good catholic you may forfeit 10 or 15 years of purgatory for your sins.... he, he, he
wink.gif
Lonesoldier
QUOTE(Galli @ Nov 16 2009, 05:33 PM) *

Ha, ha, ha and don't complain, yes I believe that you are alone but when you bring in your girlfriend for the day laugh.gif or a bunch of guys to play cards, how much extra water and electricity are you using .... wink.gif and that without considering the extra garbage (i.e. beer bottles and McDonald’s containers to be thrown away by the resort..... biggrin.gif !!!
And that is also part of a good Samaritan who's sharing the cost with those with too many children...... rolleyes.gif
By the way, consider that, if you are a good catholic you may forfeit 10 or 15 years of purgatory for your sins.... he, he, he
wink.gif

laugh.gif I am over and down at the bottom of the hill, no partying for me, been there, got it out of my system sad.gif Check the name) smile.gif . I have never complained and won't, if I want to stay at a park, I pay to stay. ohmy.gif If I don't, thats what wheels are for, to move on down the road, over the next hill, etc.
If the park says it is family friendly, then don't add extra charges for kids, they are part of the family, including the dog, cat, pet pig or whatever. Charging extra for the kids, if you advertise family friendly, should not mean you have a swing, there should be daily activities that are kid friendly, if not I would consider it false advertising. sad.gif
brep
QUOTE(Lonesoldier @ Nov 16 2009, 09:45 PM) *

laugh.gif I am over and down at the bottom of the hill, no partying for me, been there, got it out of my system sad.gif Check the name) smile.gif . I have never complained and won't, if I want to stay at a park, I pay to stay. ohmy.gif If I don't, thats what wheels are for, to move on down the road, over the next hill, etc.
If the park says it is family friendly, then don't add extra charges for kids, they are part of the family, including the dog, cat, pet pig or whatever. Charging extra for the kids, if you advertise family friendly, should not mean you have a swing, there should be daily activities that are kid friendly, if not I would consider it false advertising. sad.gif

It is not just a swing. It is face painting and arts and crafts, ceramics, relay races, candy bar bingo, etc, etc.
I guess what I take offense to is the---We are not family friendly---part. Are you suggesting that I should raise my rates evenly across the board and charge you, a single person, the same that I would need to charge that family of six? What am I now, not couple or single friendly? Doesn't seem fair to me.
Galli
QUOTE(brep @ Nov 17 2009, 07:43 AM) *

It is not just a swing. It is face painting and arts and crafts, ceramics, relay races, candy bar bingo, etc, etc.
I guess what I take offense to is the---We are not family friendly---part. Are you suggesting that I should raise my rates evenly across the board and charge you, a single person, the same that I would need to charge that family of six? What am I now, not couple or single friendly? Doesn't seem fair to me.

Go ahead brep, I shall vote for you biggrin.gif ; definition of family is so vague that it may extend to grand mother and father, second generation of nephews and nieces then for the piece in the family, how can you refuse this title to a mother in law , or, when the wife is not around, the girl friend should be well accepted within this parameters, after all she would be just a replacement. laugh.gif
Now serious ph34r.gif = FAMILY FRIENDLY is just a commercial definition like when they state.. EVERY THING IS REDUCED BY 50 %, if you think about it, ask yourself,50% OF WHAT ? blink.gif when you advertise FAMILY FRIENDLY, does mean that you are not extending the same curtsy to the single one or you are going out of your way for a family group at the expenses of the others mad.gif . Most of the times, the words in advertising are misleading and they could be challenged for what they mean but in this case, family friendly it should mean gently service, ready to go a step further to please groups but does not mean that you may have with you more people than the number of persons prescribed for a given rate. smile.gif
Yes I know I am a traitor of the consumer group but we have to be realistic dry.gif
RLM
QUOTE(coacbcps @ Oct 15 2009, 01:33 PM) *

You would think that they would at least give you two kids for free. It might be psychological but I hate having to pay extra for my children.

When anyone has guests in their homes the utility bill goes up. The electric company doesn’t want to hear me complain about it. I have to pay. A ‘family’ restaurant isn’t going to raise prices on everyone just so kids can eat free. An amusement park charges to let kids in. Is not a campground a form of amusement for them? If they don’t have their own, the bowling alley will charge to rent kid shoes. I could go on.

Compared to the cost of some other amusements we spend money on, I’d suggest camping is reasonable, if not cheap. Staying in a hotel with similar kids amenities isn't cheap. How much was the entry fee to get the kid into the soccer or t-ball league? What about the cost of the equipment and the cost of the gas to get them to practice and games? All probably done without complaint. That pizza plus tip that was ordered for the family the other night was about the cost of a campsite for a day and you didn’t get to enjoy it for an entire day.

Maybe that family friendly campground should charge full price for the kids and let the parents in for free. Perhaps a bit of reverse logic to make customers feel better about paying.

When you become parents you are expected to fund them.

Now where is my discount for being alone? Gosh, I’m glad I’m not a campground owner!
Texasrvers
Until this discussion I had never thought of "family friendly" as having anything to do with charging (or not) for kids. To me it simply indicated a place that had amenities (playground, pool, gameroom, etc.), possibly some planned activities, and perhaps most importantly, an atmosphere that would appeal to kids.

dalsgal
I can imagine someone calling here for rates and having to say "If you are alone it will be $X, if there are 2 of you it will be $xx, if you have a child it will be $xxx and if you have 2 kids it will be $xxxx. It would be so very confusing to both employee and to camper. Then we also have the For 30 amp it will be $X, for 50 amp it will be $xx, for full hookup it will be $xxxx and for electric only it will be $xxxxx, these charges also vary depending on how many there are you in your group. Too many variables.
Trentheim
Maybe a whole new campground category should be created. Maybe if a campground is known as "Crotchety Friendly" then those with families could avoid those CGs and go to the family friendly ones (and vice versa, of course). (I mean, seriously people, this thread is starting to sound like an "I don't like children" thread.)

If a campground is that worried about extra electric, water, sewage, etc... charges when more people than X camp in a single spot, then why not install meters to the spot and charge for the actual usage? I know that when my family goes camping that the electric usage is not going to be much different than if it were just me. Why? The efficiency of the camper is the main reason. Showers in the camper are all done with the water conservation method (when soaping up, we flip the switch on the shower head). This is so that we don't lose all the hot water, which is heated by my own propane. It also teaches us the right way to use water for those boondocking times. I suspect that a majority of campers who use water in their RV's do the same.

Lonesoldier
Whoops!!!!! Didn't intend to stir up the fire ants. I am sure this will be taken the wrong way also, but, I was attempting to be funny. It seems I got on someones last nerve and not intending to. I was hoping the emoticons would show that I was NOT attacking anyone, campers or CG owners. Owners charge what you want, advertise what you want. As I said, wheels were put on these rigs so I can move on down the road, not stay in your CG, or whatever. If this attitude is displayed with customers, how long do they stay, would they feel welcome.
A true story, CG in Houston Tx, I explained to the owner during checkin that I had not gotten much sleep the night before because of dogs barking. She said she understood and said that would not happen here. About 9 PM a peacock started squawking, the dogs were quiet comparatively. In the AM when I went in the office, before I could say one word, she started in saying it was her peacock and was not getting rid of it, was not going to refund any money, I had paid for 3 days. When I left I had my money back. My Point: Will I be back at that CG? Not likely, will I visit a CG again that has not provided what is advertised? Not likely. As someone said, it is about the money, you are in business to make it and I have no problem with that. The best advertising in the world is word of mouth and repeat customers, if you don't have those 2 things, you won't make it. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
RLM
QUOTE(Trentheim @ Nov 17 2009, 02:32 PM) *

(I mean, seriously people, this thread is starting to sound like an "I don't like children" thread.)

It's no different than a thread that appears to be anti pet. We would be having the same discussion if pet owners were charged extra for the dog.

As long as everyone behaves with a small amount of social grace by not flaming someone, then I think honest opinions are a way to learn something.

dog bone
QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Nov 17 2009, 02:18 PM) *
Until this discussion I had never thought of "family friendly" as having anything to do with charging (or not) for kids. To me it simply indicated a place that had amenities (playground, pool, gameroom, etc.), possibly some planned activities, and perhaps most importantly, an atmosphere that would appeal to kids.

i have to agree with this out look. some things for the family to do together either at the campground or near by.
nicki
QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Nov 17 2009, 02:18 PM) *

Me too. I don't know how "family friendly" translates to "kids stay free."
SLCatn
QUOTE(nicki @ Nov 19 2009, 11:30 AM) *

Me too. I don't know how "family friendly" translates to "kids stay free."

That's exactly what I thought as I read through this thread!!

The Park I currently stay in charges a flat rate for two persons and $2.00/night per child over 12 years old. This is plainly advertised on their website and in their brochures. I've never heard any complaints and I would hope that anyone who disagrees with this additional charge - or with any of the Park rules - would stay somewhere else. That's what I do - if I disagree with the rates, or the rules, or whatever, I make a decision to stay somewhere else. I have the freedom to do that just like the Park owners have the freedom to charge what they will and establish whatever rules they see fit. It's THEIR park.
USMC7478
QUOTE(SLCatn @ Nov 23 2009, 04:08 PM) *

That's exactly what I thought as I read through this thread!!

The Park I currently stay in charges a flat rate for two persons and $2.00/night per child over 12 years old. This is plainly advertised on their website and in their brochures. I've never heard any complaints and I would hope that anyone who disagrees with this additional charge - or with any of the Park rules - would stay somewhere else. That's what I do - if I disagree with the rates, or the rules, or whatever, I make a decision to stay somewhere else. I have the freedom to do that just like the Park owners have the freedom to charge what they will and establish whatever rules they see fit. It's THEIR park.

I have to agree with eveyone else,family friendly simply means there are things to help keep kids occupied. Now I love the poster who put crotchety friendly. For me nothing ruins a camping trip then some grouchy old buzzard looking for a reason to gripe. I try to teach my kids to be respectful,but we have encountered some people who think if a kid runs by their campsite they are trying to start trouble. But for the most part the reason I love camping is they are mostly good friendly people who will go out of their way to help.
HappiestCamper
Just saw a review where they said they got funny looks from their neighbors when their kids were playing in the streets, so they felt that kids weren't welcome laugh.gif
kcmoedoe
QUOTE(HappiestCamper @ Dec 7 2009, 12:44 PM) *

Just saw a review where they said they got funny looks from their neighbors when their kids were playing in the streets, so they felt that kids weren't welcome laugh.gif

Perhaps the campground should consider adding a rule that would make "funny looks" a "leave the park" offense. Of course that would mean I would not be welcome at the park since I look funny all the time.
eyeball
While I am always looking for a good deal, I do belive a campground owner has a right to earn a profit and support their family (Just as you do). They rightfully set their prices and policies at what they feel the market will bear. Their success or failure will dictate any future price adjustments.

Some have to take into consideration that they are not a year round operation but their personal bills for food, clothing, and general life events roll in all year long.

Just an aside but Disneyland is billed as a family friendly destination yet the charge for each person...
grim509
I noticed some people saying it's ok to charge per kid. Yet, they also complain if they have to pay extra for cable and/or wi-fi. Why shouldn't you? Not everyone uses cable or wi-fi.

Hotels do not charge per person staying in the room. Yes, they limit the number of people, but that is usually due to fire codes.

I have no problem if they're upfront about extra costs for kids (I have 5, it's nice to know ahead of time lol). I've been to campgrounds where no mention was made on the website of this policy, nothing was said when reservations were made, then BAM at check in, I find out I'm paying $15 more a night on a weeklong stay because they snuck it in there.

I would actually like to see a rate for singles, couples, couple up to 3 kids. THEN they can tack on per child after.

MinnysodaRVer
As a park owner & operator and fellow RV'er, I can understand why some people are put off by a park claiming to be kid-friendly but charging extra for kids. Charging for kids is pretty common in the industry. I think the biggest culprit is the park in question didn't clearly spell out the additional fees for kids. Family-friendly refers more to the amenities that are suitable for children & families, but doesn't mean that kids stay free.

As an RV'er myself, I find the tack-on charges that aren't clearly communicated to be annoying. Want full-hookups? Have a dog? Need Wi-Fi? Things can add up in a hurry if you don't realize they're not included in the rate.

At my RV resort we have one flat rate. Everyone gets 50 amp, cable TV, wi-fi, concrete pad, and 4 people on the site. But as an RV resort owner you have to draw a line somewhere on the amount of people - if someone brought 8-10 people they're using a lot more electricity and producing more waste than the site with 2 people on it. The key is to communicate your rules & rates clearly to the consumer.

And keep in mind - it's a business with an extremely short cycle for income unlike a hotel. Most RV parks basically have 3 months to earn enough revenue to pay bills for the entire year. While you may think $16,000 of monthly revenue sounds like a lot, my RV resort would be bankrupt at that number.
brep
QUOTE(grim509 @ Apr 13 2010, 11:33 AM) *

I noticed some people saying it's ok to charge per kid. Yet, they also complain if they have to pay extra for cable and/or wi-fi. Why shouldn't you? Not everyone uses cable or wi-fi.

Hotels do not charge per person staying in the room. Yes, they limit the number of people, but that is usually due to fire codes.

I have no problem if they're upfront about extra costs for kids (I have 5, it's nice to know ahead of time lol). I've been to campgrounds where no mention was made on the website of this policy, nothing was said when reservations were made, then BAM at check in, I find out I'm paying $15 more a night on a weeklong stay because they snuck it in there.

I would actually like to see a rate for singles, couples, couple up to 3 kids. THEN they can tack on per child after.

If we have a rate for singles, couples, couple up to 3 kids then you are still being charged for your children. Whay does it make a difference? And why should someone who chose to have 1 child pay the same price as you who has 3?
acenorm
I have a 1 & 3 year old and I tend to go to campgrounds that the price includes up to 4 people, ususally 2 adults and 2 children. I also have no problem with a couple of the campground owners on here who charge for kids over twelve. I think that is the way it should be, and the prices were $2 or $3 which is very acceptable. I will stay away from campgrounds that the rate is for only 2 people and children are extra no matter the age. I also don't agree with the OP idea that "family friendly" means you shouldn't charge for children, to me it means there are more extensive activities for children, not just a playground.

Best Regards,
Norm
brep
QUOTE(acenorm @ May 13 2010, 08:33 AM) *

I have a 1 & 3 year old and I tend to go to campgrounds that the price includes up to 4 people, ususally 2 adults and 2 children. I also have no problem with a couple of the campground owners on here who charge for kids over twelve. I think that is the way it should be, and the prices were $2 or $3 which is very acceptable. I will stay away from campgrounds that the rate is for only 2 people and children are extra no matter the age. I also don't agree with the OP idea that "family friendly" means you shouldn't charge for children, to me it means there are more extensive activities for children, not just a playground.

Best Regards,
Norm

Keep an eye on the charges for 3 and unders also. I know that here we do not charge for anyone 3 and under.
acenorm
QUOTE(brep @ May 13 2010, 10:43 AM) *

Keep an eye on the charges for 3 and unders also. I know that here we do not charge for anyone 3 and under.

I do that as well. I should have been clearer in my post.

Best Regards,
Norm
grim509
Looks like I reignited the fire a while back lol.

Again, you can't please everyone at once. There will always be people who complain wi-fi isn't included, or kids aren't included etc.

The fact of the matter is they should be upfront. I can guarantee that me, my wife, and 5 kids use less electricity and amenities than most. We are hardly at the campground. There are campers out there with nicer rigs than mine and just one person, who use more electricity and water than we do. THAT is why I think it should be a flat family rate up to 3 kids. Just because I have more kids, doesn't mean we use more resources.

Extra people put no more stress on a pool. The filters and pumps don't suddenly use more power because more people are there.

The campground also already stands to make more money off of me. From snacks at the snack bar, to souvineers, etc.

I say, put meters on the sites, and pay for actual usage. Flat rate for all, pay for what you use. It'd be the only fair way to do it, but you'll still have folks complain...
Trentheim
QUOTE(grim509 @ May 13 2010, 04:46 PM) *

The fact of the matter is they should be upfront. I can guarantee that me, my wife, and 5 kids use less electricity and amenities than most. We are hardly at the campground. There are campers out there with nicer rigs than mine and just one person, who use more electricity and water than we do. THAT is why I think it should be a flat family rate up to 3 kids. Just because I have more kids, doesn't mean we use more resources.

This is all I ask for. Just be up front with all the extra charges and don't hide anything. Vacationing is expensive enough as it is. When you have kids, it gets even more expensive.

QUOTE(grim509 @ May 13 2010, 04:46 PM) *

I say, put meters on the sites, and pay for actual usage. Flat rate for all, pay for what you use. It'd be the only fair way to do it, but you'll still have folks complain...

I like this idea too! It would be costly to implement (I believe), but very cool if you could pull it off.
JDcamper
I think max 4 adults free on a site and up to 6 people (2 adults 3 kids under 17). I realize it is a business and especially those offering barbecues etc.. Need to make some money and the more/older the group the more they eat. More kids more stuff needed for planned activities etc.. However family campgrounds should include some kids in the base price.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.