Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transportation Problems While Camping
RV Park Reviews Campground Discussion Forum > RV Park and Campground Discussions > General Chat
mamawjudy
<_<Hi everyone! I'm new to this site but so happy I finally found a place where I can write questions and get answers! My husband and I have a 1990 Winnebago Warrior motorhe. We love it! But our problem is figuring out how to get around after we're set up at the campground. We don't want to tow our car. Is there a golf cart out there that winches up to the back of your motorhome? I vaguely remember seeing one in a magazine years ago. Help! We've had to rent a car at certain
sites which gets rather expensive. Also does anyone know if you are allowed to drive a golf cart along the side of the road in most states? rolleyes.gif
dalsgal
In some states the golf cart would not be allowed or be safe on the side of the road. I know that where we are the cars pull to the shoulder so other cars can go by faster without having to use the passing lane. I used to walk to stores but in this area it is totally unsafe. Also, in many cases it would be too far to drive a golf cart to get to a store. I think you would be much better off finding a very small car to either tow or haul on a little trailer. Another possibility is to get scooters.
Texasrvers
Would you consider a scooter? One of our members is an expert on this. This is her blog, and if she sees this she may reply to your post.

http://rvingtoadless.blogspot.com/
DXSMac
That would be me! RVing Toadless!

I have rented cars from Enterprise, they deliver the car to you. I have contemplated joining ZIPCAR (http://www.zipcar.com/) but this option only works if you are RVing in major cities, like Chicago, Seattle, Portland, New York, Minneapolis, you get the idea..... But if you do hang out in a lot of major cities, Zipcar may be a good option, I think it's a pretty low joining fee and it's a "car sharing" service.

I don't think the golf cart idea is a good one. Now, I use my scooter (electric scooter, runs on a battery), but it's only good on surface streets, can't take it on busy freeways. If you check my blog, I found the idea of the "refurbished street legal bumper cars" quite amusing! Apparently, this is popular in California!

My scooter isn't required to be licensed in my state, and I don't think most states require a license for it. Some might. On the other hand, you could buy motorcycles of 50cc. Those may or may not require a license depending on the state, but wouldn't require the motorcycle endorsement to your driver's license. But again, I wouldn't take those on the freeways. Those motorcycles can be carried on special made motorcycle carriers that go in the receiver hitch. I don't have an issue with those, I am just too chicken to tow a car!

The last option is to get one of those regular bicycles that is retrofitted with a motor so you can optionally not have to pedal. I've seen some of those.

JJ

mamawjudy
QUOTE(DXSMac @ Sep 7 2010, 10:13 PM) *

That would be me! RVing Toadless!

I have rented cars from Enterprise, they deliver the car to you. I have contemplated joining ZIPCAR (http://www.zipcar.com/) but this option only works if you are RVing in major cities, like Chicago, Seattle, Portland, New York, Minneapolis, you get the idea..... But if you do hang out in a lot of major cities, Zipcar may be a good option, I think it's a pretty low joining fee and it's a "car sharing" service.

I don't think the golf cart idea is a good one. Now, I use my scooter (electric scooter, runs on a battery), but it's only good on surface streets, can't take it on busy freeways. If you check my blog, I found the idea of the "refurbished street legal bumper cars" quite amusing! Apparently, this is popular in California!

My scooter isn't required to be licensed in my state, and I don't think most states require a license for it. Some might. On the other hand, you could buy motorcycles of 50cc. Those may or may not require a license depending on the state, but wouldn't require the motorcycle endorsement to your driver's license. But again, I wouldn't take those on the freeways. Those motorcycles can be carried on special made motorcycle carriers that go in the receiver hitch. I don't have an issue with those, I am just too chicken to tow a car!

The last option is to get one of those regular bicycles that is retrofitted with a motor so you can optionally not have to pedal. I've seen some of those.

JJ

smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.