Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any Feedback On Ford V-10 Gas Engine For Rvs?
RV Park Reviews Campground Discussion Forum > RV Park and Campground Discussions > General Chat
happyscampers
We're considering a new class C motorhome with this engine and wonder if anyone has any feedback on general performance, reliability, gas mileage, towing power for car, etc. Any feedback greatly appreciated.
Lindsay Richards
There have been many of them produced and they seem to do well. My neighbor has one and loves it. Been around for a good while.
chickenpants
I have 50,000 trouble free miles on my 2004 Ford e-450 Triton V-10. It has a ton of power, I've always towed a Jeep or an old VW (Baja Bug). I get 7-7.5 mpg depending how hard I drive it. That seems to be the mileage others get.

One area of potential trouble is that it is common that a spark plug is broken when replacing requiring removal of the head to repair. I'm hoping that is sorted out before mine is due for spark plug replacement.
happyscampers
QUOTE(chickenpants @ Oct 17 2010, 05:15 PM) *

I have 50,000 trouble free miles on my 2004 Ford e-450 Triton V-10. It has a ton of power, I've always towed a Jeep or an old VW (Baja Bug). I get 7-7.5 mpg depending how hard I drive it. That seems to be the mileage others get.

One area of potential trouble is that it is common that a spark plug is broken when replacing requiring removal of the head to repair. I'm hoping that is sorted out before mine is due for spark plug replacement.

Interesting to hear about the mileage. Winnebago uses that engine and claims 12 mph for the 26 ft Impulse. Of course that's not with a "toad," but still...
chickenpants
QUOTE(happyscampers @ Oct 17 2010, 05:27 PM) *

Interesting to hear about the mileage. Winnebago uses that engine and claims 12 mph for the 26 ft Impulse. Of course that's not with a "toad," but still...

You can do a little research around other forums and then see if you believe the advertisement. I think you will find my mileage is typical for the V-10 be it in an RV or heavy duty truck.

happyscampers
QUOTE(chickenpants @ Oct 18 2010, 10:37 AM) *

You can do a little research around other forums and then see if you believe the advertisement. I think you will find my mileage is typical for the V-10 be it in an RV or heavy duty truck.

Thanks for your feedback. Any other RV forums you like?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.