Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pets & Parks
RV Park Reviews Campground Discussion Forum > RV Park and Campground Discussions > RV Park Discussions
Pages: 1, 2, 3
GarrettSmith
We travel with our two Rotts. Perfectly well behaved and wonderful ambassadors for the breed.
I don't like barking dogs either. But I also don't like loud music late at night. We would certainly opt for a "pet lovers" section in a campground. Seeing the country with our pups, simply makes the whole experience that much better.
chowhound
I find it interesting the originator of this thread Procarver, chose to make as his very first post ever to this forum a new thread declaring his disdain of any pets in RV parks. For which, he was politely "flamed" by the those of the opposing, and likely majority view. He fired back a few salvos directed to various other indidual posters, but has never returned to post on any other thread in almost a year. It's as if he likes us even less than he likes our pets, and I never got a chance to ask him how he feels about my goldfish Charley.
nedmtnman
QUOTE(chowhound @ Aug 19 2011, 12:40 AM) *

I find it interesting the originator of this thread Procarver, chose to make as his very first post ever to this forum a new thread declaring his disdain of any pets in RV parks. For which, he was politely "flamed" by the those of the opposing, and likely majority view. He fired back a few salvos directed to various other indidual posters, but has never returned to post on any other thread in almost a year. It's as if he likes us even less than he likes our pets, and I never got a chance to ask him how he feels about my goldfish Charley.

I guess your goldfish Charley would be ok as long as he is kept on a leash not longer than 6 feet.
rgatijnet
I have had no problems with the RV Parks that say that they accept pets. We always provide our own bags and clean up after our large dog.
I have had a few problems with other pet owners when it comes to respecting our parking site, or respecting our space, when we are walking our dog. We have a Great Pyrenees, which is a great big white teddy bear but they are also bred to guard their flock. I appreciate that some of you with your cute little dogs want to have our dogs "meet", but PLEASE don't attempt it without asking first. DON"T assume that my dog wants to meet your dog.
If your little dog acts aggressive(in my dog's opinion...your opinion does not count) she may react to protect herself or my wife and me. It may be because she felt threatened by your dog or because my dog just may be having a bad day. 99.9% of the time, my dog is the friendliest creature you will ever meet, but DON"T assume that a dog that weighs over 100 pounds is ALWAYS willing to be approached by strangers or their pets.
The situation may just be that I have her out to do her business, and we are planning to travel soon. We do not need the interruption of this activity and sometimes it can be difficult to get her focused again.
Please do not take this as personal criticism of all dogs. We love dogs and have always had and traveled with our pets. We are just asking for a little common sense to be used and to request that strangers first ask before they approach our dog. I don't appreciate having my arm jerked off and you may not appreciate having your dog injured. We always show the same respect to other people's animals. smile.gif
acampingfan
I think the two key words are "Tolerance" and "Consideration of others"......as has been already related, the OP posted just to get a "flaming" war started. His original statements were so biased that convincing him otherwise would be useless. I travel with 4, yes, count them 4 Cavalier KCS, all saved from a variety of rescue organizations. I, too, bought an RV so that the kids could go along with us and I would not even consider Kenneling them unless the most dire situation presented itself.

Once again, as others have noted, having a campground with separate areas for pet people and Non pet people(or as I like to call them, Pet Haters) would be a perfect solution. I know for a fact that I would prefer staying next to a fellow RV'er with 20 dogs/cats/birds etc etc than staying next to the OP!!!!
dalsgal
QUOTE(rgatijnet @ Aug 25 2011, 09:54 AM) *

If your little dog acts aggressive(in my dog's opinion...your opinion does not count) she may react to protect herself or my wife and me. It may be because she felt threatened by your dog or because my dog just may be having a bad day. 99.9% of the time, my dog is the friendliest creature you will ever meet, but DON"T assume that a dog that weighs over 100 pounds is ALWAYS willing to be approached by strangers or their pets.

I don't assume any dog, of any size, is wanting to be friendly. I never approach a pet without asking if they like strangers, especially if they are in "their" vehicle or home area. We have a deaf cat that is always on a leash when he is outside. He was badly abused before we got him and he does bite. We tell everyone that he will bite but so many people say "oh, cats always like me" and then yell at us when he bites. He is a sweetheart with us because he trusts us but when people used to kick you and have their dogs attack you you tend to be a bit less tolerant of strangers.
Luvtheroad
QUOTE(acampingfan @ Aug 26 2011, 03:42 PM) *

Once again, as others have noted, having a campground with separate areas for pet people and Non pet people(or as I like to call them, Pet Haters) would be a perfect solution. I know for a fact that I would prefer staying next to a fellow RV'er with 20 dogs/cats/birds etc etc than staying next to the OP!!!!

I think you might be going a little overboard. Not being a "pet person" doesn't necessarily make one a "pet hater" any more than not having children makes one a "child hater". I don't own a pet for several reasons, including that fact that my boyfriend is very allergic to dogs and cats. It's either him or a pet. I chose him.....he came already house-broken, I don't have to walk him and he doesn't bark at night. I have owned many pets in the past, but my lifestyle right now isn't compatible with owning one. I do, however, very much enjoy meeting my fellow camper's animals, the well-behaved ones at least (the animals AND the campers). To be frank, however, I think I just might prefer staying next to the OP than next to a "fellow RV'er with 20 dogs/cats/birds etc".
abbygolden
QUOTE(rgatijnet @ Aug 25 2011, 09:54 AM) *

I have had no problems with the RV Parks that say that they accept pets. We always provide our own bags and clean up after our large dog.
I have had a few problems with other pet owners when it comes to respecting our parking site, or respecting our space, when we are walking our dog. We have a Great Pyrenees, which is a great big white teddy bear but they are also bred to guard their flock. I appreciate that some of you with your cute little dogs want to have our dogs "meet", but PLEASE don't attempt it without asking first. DON"T assume that my dog wants to meet your dog.
The situation may just be that I have her out to do her business, and we are planning to travel soon. We do not need the interruption of this activity and sometimes it can be difficult to get her focused again.
Please do not take this as personal criticism of all dogs. We love dogs and have always had and traveled with our pets. We are just asking for a little common sense to be used and to request that strangers first ask before they approach our dog. I don't appreciate having my arm jerked off and you may not appreciate having your dog injured. We always show the same respect to other people's animals. smile.gif

Amen! This should be required reading for ALL dog owners. Thanks for a well measured comment.
acampingfan
Just to be clear...I never said those that dont have Pets are Pet hater's...I was referring to those that take such a drastic stand against Pets and those of us who have Pets, are in my view, the haters. They have no TOLERANCE for anyone or anything that doesnt fit their ideal..they would just as well complain about your awning lights, you TV or radio outside, your BBQ too close to their rig, your kids playing in the camground.......you get the idea!
Gunnar
QUOTE(GarrettSmith @ Aug 18 2011, 08:25 PM) *

We travel with our two Rotts. Perfectly well behaved and wonderful ambassadors for the breed.
I don't like barking dogs either. But I also don't like loud music late at night. We would certainly opt for a "pet lovers" section in a campground. Seeing the country with our pups, simply makes the whole experience that much better.

Love hearing about others putting the rotts best foot forward.
FosterImposters
QUOTE(rgatijnet @ Aug 25 2011, 06:54 AM) *

We are just asking for a little common sense to be used and to request that strangers first ask before they approach our dog.

Thanks rgatijnet. Could not have said this better.
In fact, wish ALL dog owners would just ASSUME that my dog DOES NOT wish to meet your dog.
I know how to act in public when I'm having a grumpy day.
Dogs have a different standard.
cool.gif
Edelou
rolleyes.gif I have pets and travel by travel trailer so they can go with me. I feel for those who have pet allergies but I do not like children running and crying and screaming around the park but don't think people should be prohibited from bringing them on their trip. You may not want to be bothered by my pets or the wild animals that are in the park and give off allergies too. I suffer from allergies too nut I don't say camp grounds should cut down pine trees to accommodate me nor do I complain that the smoke from the wood fire pits sets my allergies off. If something like dogs, smoke or pine trees bother you that much--- STAY HOME! and let those of us that like nature including the animals both wild and domestic in the park alone.
FranznHilga
Sounds like it's time to stop RVing! Like someone else said, no sympathy here! I tend to stay away from any park that shuns pets, and they are few and far between, because people who don't like pets are lemon trees! I would say 95% of the RVing public travels with pets, and they do so because it's the best way to travel with them. I would agree that not picking up after them is a problem, and every pet owner MUST do that, but besides that issue we have had no problems in our 50k miles on the road in the past ten years!
casadelydia
QUOTE(MrsIslander @ Nov 30 2010, 08:03 PM) *

biggrin.gif We, too, did the same. They are our "kids" and if they can't go, we can't go. Period. They make our trips so much more fun! I do not have idle hands due to them. They are also the reason our coach is so clean... my hands are not idle with them around. I clean constantly and wipe hinnies and paw after walks and potty breaks. We are responsible pet owners, picking up after them inside and out. Too bad there are other pet owners that do not so much mad.gif

I can't imagine going camping without our two Jack Russell Terriers...my babies. I agree that they make traveling much more fun and they are so cuddly and happy when we're on the go. They are always up for a new adventure every day, and even if we run into a problem on the road, they are always in a good mood and ready for a pat on the head. As the previous post said, our travel trailer is also extremely clean because of our pets. We are very responsible and have had many folks comment on how well behaved our dogs are.
I understand that everyone doesn't feel the same about animals as my husband and I do, but we don't generally associate with people who don't love animals...I'd rather be in the woods with my pets than in a crowd of people anywhere on earth...!
ChipnMichele
Add us to the list of folks who bought an RV primarily so that we could bring our dog along with us! smile.gif Our husky mix is 2.5 years old and travels with us on every trip. We're new to RV-ing and have a lot to learn, this forum has been extremely helpful thus far!

I do agree with the posters who would prefer others not approach their dog. Loki has a skittish personality and while far from aggressive, he doesn't trust strangers and will bark at you if approached, certainly while he's on a leash and feels "trapped." Just as I wouldn't want strangers coming up to my children w/o my permission, same goes for my furkid.

If we respect each other's space, humans and critters, we'll all get along just fine. smile.gif
B. Kidd
QUOTE(ChipnMichele @ Mar 5 2012, 02:07 PM) *

Add us to the list of folks who bought an RV primarily so that we could bring our dog along with us! smile.gif Our husky mix is 2.5 years old and travels with us on every trip. We're new to RV-ing and have a lot to learn, this forum has been extremely helpful thus far!

I do agree with the posters who would prefer others not approach their dog. Loki has a skittish personality and while far from aggressive, he doesn't trust strangers and will bark at you if approached, certainly while he's on a leash and feels "trapped." Just as I wouldn't want strangers coming up to my children w/o my permission, same goes for my furkid.

If we respect each other's space, humans and critters, we'll all get along just fine. smile.gif

If you expect yer' dog not to be approached, an RV park is the last place thatz gonna happen.
Looks like your in for some surprises.......just sayin'. wink.gif
exsailor81
Wow! All these pages because somebody has a problem with dogs in a CG? What a joke! Of all the issues involving camping, pets don't even make the top ten. Some of my best trips have been when wild animals were around and maybe even raided my site at night. Sounds like someone is better suited for hotels.
joez
QUOTE(exsailor81 @ Mar 11 2012, 06:42 PM) *

Wow! All these pages because somebody has a problem with dogs in a CG? What a joke! Of all the issues involving camping, pets don't even make the top ten. Some of my best trips have been when wild animals were around and maybe even raided my site at night. Sounds like someone is better suited for hotels.

Wow, pretty harsh. There are a whole bunch of us folks that are not camping when we go to an rv park or resort. We are in rvs so we can sleep in our own beds, cook in our own kitchen, watch our television on our own HD with surround sound, and walk the dogs in a safe, convenient area. We want mowed grass and concrete/asphalt roads, friendly human and animal neighbors, and campfires built in designated fire rings with limited smoke. I go with the grandkids on a ten day backpack/canoe trip each year and DW and I do a mountain hunting trip annually. That's enough camping and wild animals for me, thank you. And we sure don't need to stay in a hotel.
exsailor81
QUOTE(joez @ Mar 13 2012, 06:32 PM) *

Wow, pretty harsh. There are a whole bunch of us folks that are not camping when we go to an rv park or resort. We are in rvs so we can sleep in our own beds, cook in our own kitchen, watch our television on our own HD with surround sound, and walk the dogs in a safe, convenient area. We want mowed grass and concrete/asphalt roads, friendly human and animal neighbors, and campfires built in designated fire rings with limited smoke. I go with the grandkids on a ten day backpack/canoe trip each year and DW and I do a mountain hunting trip annually. That's enough camping and wild animals for me, thank you. And we sure don't need to stay in a hotel.

Sorry, didn't realize we were so sensitive. But I camp a lot, mostly in state parks and in the woods and with or without TV. NEVER had an issue with dogs. By the way, who is "we"? if you are the spokesman for a group please let me know so I won't dare make a comment contrary to your group.
dalsgal
exsailor, apparently you don't agree that we are all entitled to our opinions. You were very abrasive in your first comment on this thread and even worse in your rebuttal comment. People are sensitive about their pets and also the right to not like being around other peoples dogs. There are people that think their pets, like their children can do no wrong and should have the run of any campground. We have some here at this campground that refuse to put their pets on a leash or clean up after them. Most people are good but the few that aren't can make it difficult for other people. It may no be a big issue for you if you only camp on occasion but those of us that full time can find it a problem. If you full time your campsite is your home and a dog running through your site, or making a mess in it, is the same as if it was at your brick and stick home. We have had people let their dogs run free to come into our campsite and attack our cats that are on leashes and then get think it is funny that we are offended.
Florida Native
There are many different kind of campers and there is room for all of them out in the camping world. This also holds true for this forum. Deriding a particular type of camper and thinking your type of camping is the "only" way is foolish.
exsailor81
Ok well apologies to full timers but I think this is a losing battle and I only intended to poke fun at a post that went 5 pages arguing over dogs. We might as well discuss whose grandchildren are cutest because it is so subjective. (By the way mine are cutest) and when I camp my Bassett hound Ike is leashed and minds his manners.
B. Kidd
Not to change the subject, but in an attempt to alter it a little, a friend of ours here in Yuma last Friday took her Boston Terrier outside the park for a walk, let it off the leash and it proceeded to a scrub bush in the desert across the street from the park and got bit on the paw by a sidewinder (for those who don't know, a rattlesnake species). By the time she got it to a vet, the dogs whole front leg had swelled and it was in obvious distress. The vet saved it and she was presented with a $1300.00 vet bill, for her, a small price to pay.
Sidewinders are out EARLY this year!

True story.
mikel
QUOTE(Procarver @ Nov 19 2010, 12:43 PM) *

[size=7]
We wish more parks had a strict "No Pet Policy". My wife is allergic to both dogs and cats so we have no pets and don't wish to be bothered by other peoples pets. Our family has been RVing for over 50 years and when we owned a dog and went camping our very well trained dog(s) went to the kennels where it belonged. Many people now days feel their damn mutt has more rights than people, such as being able to ignore leash regulations, nonsense. It also appears most of these "pampered pooches" have not had proper training which just exacerbates the problem. Oh, and let's not forget to mention the bozos who feel it is beneath them to pick up their animals deposits. Maybe it is time to equate non-pet owners rights with non-smokers rights. Remember, there was a time when non-smokers had no rights.

Think it would be difficult to run and maintain a RV park and make $$$ if it had the rules of major hotel chains. That's why we RV. We take our cats with us, however they are easily maintained with a litter box. I somewhat understand you points on pets, especially with dogs. But it won't change, it's just like going to Disney World, there always morons there. There are people that jump lines, drunks, loud obnoxious jerks, etc. The fleas come with the dog. RV parks are no different. With the prices of recreational vehicles coming down, just about anyone can afford them. I don't foresee these issues changing. Lots of people don't know how to raise their own kids how would they know how to train a pet. I'm not sure of your status, fulltimer, etc. Ya gotta let some stuff go, don't stress out so much. Remember the parks you don't like and don't go back.
NYDutch
I can't vouch for the accuracy, but I've seen statistics indicating that 60 to 70% of RV'ers travel with pets, so I don't think you'll find any rush to ban them at most parks. If the statistics are accurate, I'm a little surprised that at least a few more RV parks around the country have not copied the very dog friendly and apparently successful model of Four Paws Kingdom RV park in NC.
ChipnMichele
QUOTE(B. Kidd @ Mar 11 2012, 12:09 AM) *

If you expect yer' dog not to be approached, an RV park is the last place thatz gonna happen.
Looks like your in for some surprises.......just sayin'. wink.gif

Why should an RV park be different than any other public place? I wouldn't dream of going up to a strange dog w/o asking the owner if it's ok to do so. That's just common sense, isn't it? I'm not talking about greeting/admiring my pet from a few feet away, I'm talking about walking up to a strange dog and getting in his face. To me that's just not very bright and might cause some surprises to the person doing so. Just sayin'.
Florida Native
Dog
Lilly Flower
QUOTE(Procarver @ Nov 19 2010, 02:43 PM) *

[size=7]
We wish more parks had a strict "No Pet Policy". My wife is allergic to both dogs and cats so we have no pets and don't wish to be bothered by other peoples pets. Our family has been RVing for over 50 years and when we owned a dog and went camping our very well trained dog(s) went to the kennels where it belonged. Many people now days feel their damn mutt has more rights than people, such as being able to ignore leash regulations, nonsense. It also appears most of these "pampered pooches" have not had proper training which just exacerbates the problem. Oh, and let's not forget to mention the bozos who feel it is beneath them to pick up their animals deposits. Maybe it is time to equate non-pet owners rights with non-smokers rights. Remember, there was a time when non-smokers had no rights.

[font=Lucida Console]
Unfortunately it is a few bad pet owners who ruin it for others. I have a small dog whom is well behaved and I keep baggies in my pocket to pick up after him. I agree with the need to leash.
Andresawan5251
I have a dog as a pet.He is my good friend.When i see some place where i can't take him it makes me very unhappy.Dogs are well trained so i think it would be better to remove this bar for dog.http://www.niceledlights.com

A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business.
Henry Ford
KentuckyCampin
Well I dont mind animals while camping. However I do mind the animals and owners who are not well behaved. It never fails that there is always those few when we go camping. The last time we went matter of fact! We had two couples that were tent camping in the spot next to us and they each had a dog. Once was collie and the other was a lab mix, both big dogs. Needless to say they barked the whole time while there and it was pretty annoying. We were glad they left and when they did, they left a few doggie mines as well! I know the follow on campers probably were not "happy campers"!

I just wished that owners were responsible and took care of the messes left behind and kept their animals quiet. I understand that dogs do bark periodically (we own a black lab, who does not go camping with us.), and can be taught not to bark at every little noise or person that walks/rides by the campsite.
theresal58
We bought a fifth wheel just so we COULD take our dog with us. I would like to see parks get MORE pet friendly. To their credit some parks have fenced in off leash dog areas. Love it. My dog can get exercise off leash.
Rather than the pets, we would like to see more parks enforce quiet time. We get tired of hearing kids screaming at the top of their lungs for 12 hrs/day. My dog doesn't make a peep.
GandJ
QUOTE(KentuckyCampin @ Jul 15 2012, 06:21 PM) *

Well I dont mind animals while camping. However I do mind the animals and owners who are not well behaved.

My new (un)favorite dog owner trick is the guy we were parked next to recently who let his dog run around off leash and then kept yelling at the top of his lungs "Come here, Muffy*!!" and "You get back over here, Muffy*!!!!" This went on for a couple of hours during dinner and after.

The guy coulda just gotten off his lazy backside and put the dog on a leash, don't ya think?

Of course, this was the same couple that had an annoying 4 foot metal wind chime set hanging off the pin box of their fiver.

(*dog's name has been changed to protect the innocent biggrin.gif )
nedmtnman
QUOTE(GandJ @ Sep 8 2012, 11:01 AM) *

My new (un)favorite dog owner trick is the guy we were parked next to recently who let his dog run around off leash and then kept yelling at the top of his lungs "Come here, Muffy!!" and "You get back over here, Muffy!!!!" This went on for a couple of hours during dinner and after.

The guy coulda just gotten off his lazy backside and put the dog on a leash, don't ya think?

Of course, this was the same couple that had an annoying 4 foot metal wind chime set hanging off the pin box of their fiver.

Yeah, a month ago we were at another park and I was walking the cat on the leash like we always do and someone had the little ankle biter yappy dog off leash and of course you know what happened. Scruffy took off after my cat on the leash. I let the leash go and Bob headed for the house. If push came to shove and it was the dog or my cat guess who dies. Of course the owner was all appologetic and so on which I could have cared less about. KEEP THE DOG ON A LEASH!!!!!
Texasrvers
We have thought about trying to walk our cats on a leash (if they would tolerate it), but decided against it for just the reason you described. I'm glad your cat was not hurt.
FosterImposters
Can just about imagine the altercation of small chasing dog vs pot-bellied pig (another thread) on a leash. Unless the pig was a baby, it would be pig 1, dog 0.

Then all we would hear: "Why would you bring such a vicious beast into the park?"
Another critter breed would go onto those "not welcome" lists... laugh.gif
GandJ
QUOTE(nedmtnman @ Sep 9 2012, 11:45 AM) *

Of course the owner was all appologetic and so on which I could have cared less about. KEEP THE DOG ON A LEASH!!!!!

Don't get me wrong, I love dogs. Rarely am I without a MilkBone or three in my pocket.

But, WOW! If that dog's irresponsible owner is still alive with all his teeth in place, I do admire your restraint!!!

He'd still be picking pieces of my shoe out of his backside.

We only take our geriatric cat out in her enclosed stroller and I always keep pepper spray handy in case some moron's dog takes off after us. Canister holds enough for the owner, too.
GandJ

QUOTE(FosterImposters @ Sep 9 2012, 03:35 PM) *

Can just about imagine the altercation of small chasing dog vs pot-bellied pig (another thread) on a leash. Unless the pig was a baby, it would be pig 1, dog 0.

Then all we would hear: "Why would you bring such a vicious beast into the park?"
Another critter breed would go onto those "not welcome" lists... laugh.gif

Pot bellied pigs are rather docile - especially if neutered. I'm not sure the yappy dog wouldn't
win there. Nice to think it would though. smile.gif
Andrea Silkman
A dog barking is just his way of saying hi. Constant barking is one thing, but a little ruff once in a while is nothing to get worked up over. Nothing can be quiet 24-7.... including humans, so no living creature should be forced to be, especially with a muzzle. If you wear a muzzle around the campground and not speak a word, then I'd consider it for my dog.... oh wait, no I wouldn't......
stroza
QUOTE(Tom @ Nov 20 2010, 09:46 AM) *

Procarver, sounds like you should be more upset with pet owners than the pets themselves.

X2!!! Its the owners!! We take our 2 black labs and would not go without them!

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Mar 22 2012, 09:07 AM) *

smile.gif Classic!! Love it!!
jschrubba
QUOTE(Procarver @ Nov 19 2010, 12:43 PM) *

[size=7]

We travel with 2 dogs! And we are very aware that everyone is not an animal lover. For us it is a time to spend with our animal family after leaving them day after day to go to work. We pick up after our dogs and keep the barking to a minimum. Lets be honest dogs are going to bark once in awhile. I too am disgusted by the owners who are irresponsible for their pets. And I don't think that LARGE known dangerous breeds belong in any campground. On another point there are some people who go camping and let their children run rampant and wild....cutting through sites and generally misbehaving. I don't blame the kids I blame the parents.
teaganr
I have now read most of these posts. Most of those individuals who dislike dogs do so because.
1. Noise
2. Poop
3. Unleashed pets
I must admit these are irritations to me also BUT a decent dog owner can and should alleviate most of these anxieties. Iím sorry you donít like dogs procarver or others, as you are missing out on some beautiful times. Iím sorry because you are in for some lonely episodes in your life and you don't know it. Iíve been to nursing homes where a visit from a dog (or other therapy animal) is the highlight of the day Ė to see the joy and relaxation from the residents which confirms the value of touch and love.

HOWEVER you donít have to dislike the dogs -- itís the stupid owners who think they have the right to infringe on others. Yes, I too find those that hop out of their rig and start putting up numerous X-Pens cause my ire to rise. Those are the people who need to park down the road and down in the holler. (if there is an outback to the park Ė put them there). Number of dog limitation rules are acceptable. Breed restrictions are not remember it's the owner -- not the dog. So how do we identify STUPID people?

I have found that dogs are more honest than humans. They donít lie, they donít cheat and they donít care what you think. They donít care if they are in a $300,000 rig or a $30 tent as long as they are with their human. They do steal tho (esp if it is a bone).

My dog is my psychiatrist. He is non-confrontational, listens to my aggravations, sorrows and provides unconditional love AND the best part of it Ė itís all free.

Now if you want to talk about kids in the campground Iíll make you a deal. Iíll muzzle my dog if you muzzle your kid. Iíll make sure my dog stays on itís lease and doesnít poop but in specific area and Iíll pick up after it IF you keep your kid on a leash Ė or at least out of my space and off of my car. I promise not to approach your kid even if you wanted and please keep your kid away from my dog. Iíve seen kids cheat, steal, break otherís property and then lie about it. So whose companion is better behaved? Not all children are poorly behaved as well as not all dogs are poorly trained or supervised.

We are all entitled to our own opinions. The answer is moderation and consideration.
Farmerswife
QUOTE(Procarver @ Nov 19 2010, 10:43 AM) *

[size=4]

QUOTE(Farmerswife @ Nov 29 2012, 11:37 AM) *

I am not sure how cranky and quarrelsome you sound!! I'm a responsible dog lover who thinks there should be more parks that restrict cranky unfriendly people who shoulda bought a condo with a no pets clause. Get over yourself!!
mdcamping
Procarver hasn't posted in about 2 years...just my opinion but maybe it's time to stop involving his comments in this discussion. smile.gif

Mike

melvonnar
QUOTE(Procarver @ Nov 19 2010, 03:43 PM) *

[size=7]

I"m with you %100.
I"m afaid the dog lovers will bash you real good.
The one I like to repeat time and time again is this-----Ever see a dog lick his privet parts then give its owners a good face licking? laugh.gif

melvonnar
QUOTE(rwarner22 @ Jul 24 2011, 10:14 PM) *

I am listening to a dog bark now. He/she has been at it for the last 5 hours. Ugh

There is a campground in Pa. called barking dog campground; Guess why? laugh.gif
astreamer
Here, here! After stepping in dog poop twice in two days at two different parks and getting on my water hose and electrical, I am fed up with irresponsible dog owners. If you are unable to manage your pet then you shouldn't own one.
rkw99
I wish dog owners would not walk their dogs through the playgrounds. Just in general, not just campgrounds. Even if you clean up the mess, there is still a residue left on the ground for children who like to sit in the grass, or pick up sticks etc.
Joeperez
QUOTE(mdcamping @ Nov 20 2010, 12:17 PM) *

So far we have never run into problems with any four legged campers, It's the two legged one's we've had problems with... biggrin.gif
Mike

B. Kidd
Responsible dog owners still outnumber the irresponsible ones, especially in the age 55+ parks.
dalsgal
I see owners walking their pets and starting to walk away without doing cleanup. I keep a couple of grocery sacks in my pocket and walk over to them and say "here, this will save you a trip to gt a bag". After that they seem to remember to clean up.

Also, there was a man that I was continually reminding to put his dog on a leash and clean up behind it but he never did. Finally one day I saw him let the dog out and it went immediately to a neighbors campsite and pooped right beside the mans truck door. I got paper and went and picked up the poop and placed it by the dog owners truck door. Of course he stepped in it but....funny thing....he started doing his own clean up after that. Yes, I know that wasn't the recommended "nice" thing for a manager to do but after weeks of talking to the guy I knew it would take something a bit drastic to get through to him and it did.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.