Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No Seniors Rv Park (55 And Under Only)
RV Park Reviews Campground Discussion Forum > RV Park and Campground Discussions > RV Park Discussions
Pages: 1, 2
bestestes
We're in Mcallen, TX, one of our stops while traveling for a year in a bus with our 7 children. We do a lot of boondocking, and stay in a park about once every 7-10 days for a night or two.

In Mcallen, we made 4 calls to find a park before finding one that would 'let' us stay. Each of the 4 parks chuckled a little bit when I answered 'seven' to their questions of how many children? ... right before they said 'No'.

It hasn't hit us as hard as in this community, where there are apparently loads of 55+ RVers... It is weird to be classed out of a business, that if it was the other way around, would probably make the news:

"Local RV Park discriminates against kind senior couple".

I understand wanting to create an atmosphere of quiet restful etc- but ??
Texasrvers
Sorry you had trouble locating a park that accepts children. However, you will find that there are certain areas in the country that cater quite a bit to retirees and snowbirds. Mostly these are in warm, sunny areas such as southern California, Arizona, Florida, and the Texas Valley, as you discovered in McAllen. When you are in one of these areas you may need to do a little more looking and pre-planning than you normally would, but if you do, I'm sure you will be able to find parks that welcome children. If you do not want the hassle of a little extra looking and being turned away from some places, you may need to revise your travel plans not to include these areas. There are many other choices out there that are kid friendly.
RFCN2
You make a very good point. In the past it seemed like public RV parks tended to have lots of kids. Seems like if you looked at County, COE, State, and National Parks that you would find few issues.

I understand the problem from your side, but also it is the numbers that is the issue. Travelers with seven pets might have problems finding a park to take them, but those with one pet rarely do. Same with children. Although there are likely way more 55+ RV parks than those that do not accept pets.
kcmoedoe
I agree, it is simply a numbers issue. I own a lot in a resort and paid a handsome penny for it. It is deeded etc, but I still cannot have over 4 people stay on it at any time. HOA rules and they are vigorously enforced. It was put into place to prevent the facilities from being overwhelmed by a few large groups. Can you imagine the chaos if every site in the park had nine people on it.
FosterImposters
Welcome to the forum Bestestes! cool.gif

We met and got to know a large extended family a couple years ago, (were you all ever in the southern California area?) that were also exploring the US. They reported similiar challenges in parts of the country. Their well behaved kids were seldom all outside the rig at once, so no one really noticed.

A tip they used (when asked how many in their group) involved sometimes catigorizing their very young teens and preteens of their gang...as adults.

Somehow it was more acceptable at some parks (?) for their group to be 5 adults and 5 kids. blink.gif

The good news was they only had one dog. laugh.gif
John Blue
We only saw this one time in a State Park north of New Orleans, LA. A large 5th wheel pulled into a site in front of our motorhome with a very large van. Out rolled 12 kids, 2 dogs, man and his wife, 12 bikes come out of the back end of 5th wheel with BBQ equipment, toys, and other stuff. We were thinking his will be a fun place to be soon. The family was from TX and I wish all kids could be this nice to be around. We did not know they they were around. In a couple days they left and park was the same with and with out the kids, very little sounds.

In Rusk, TX we had 150 Boy Scouts from Dallas set up tents at the rear of out motorhome and spent the night. We were told that we may wish to move to a new site but we do wish to do so. The kids were great to be around as well, a large number ask to see inside the MH so we were running tours. We eat dinner with the kids that night and had a great time. Very nice group of kids.

Most kids are OK in RV parks.
joez
I grew up in a large family (8 children) and some of the difficulties you speak of remind me of when I was a child. I admire your ability to travel as a family. Our family rarely went anywhere as a group - simply finding a vehicle large enough to travel in comfortably was a big issue. Finding campgrounds was always an issue - in most cases my father would rent two adjacent sites - we were tents and popups, and choices were definitely state parks and COE mostly. I am sure cost was abig part of that decision, as well as, the size of the group. Many restaurants conveniently could not find seating for this large a party, even though we were extremely well behaved.

I have had mixed experience with "large family group" camground neighbors. Some have been pleasant to be near, a few have been like having a group of Tasmanian Devils in the neighborhood. If I were you, I would not worry about bucking the system - just work through the difficulties and enjoy your travels. Best of luck to you.
Lindsay Richards
Over 55 is a legally protected class like race, sexual orientation, religion, and many other categories. It is legal for companies to do this and perfectly appropriate in many instances. We frequently stay at over 55 parks. Here in Florida, we are loaded with them. It isnít legal for companies to exclude any protected class. It would be the legal equivalent of saying no blacks allowed to say nobody over 55 allowed. We have like most frequent campers had some really bad experience with unchecked childrenís behavior. Usually the parents fault, but after hours and hours, it really doesnít matter. We usually try to find the over 55 parks. We love kids and even have one ourselves, but sometimes do not wish to enjoy others children. Looks like you have fallen victim to otherís rowdy children.
dbnck
I disagree that it's a numbers issue. Over-55 parks don't want children there at all, whether one or seven.

I recently stayed in an over-55 park in the McAllen area. When I called and asked if I could stay there if I'm 53, the woman said it was no problem as long as I didn't bring any children. This isn't the first over-55 park I've stayed at, and at all of them, I've felt pretty obvious. My boyfriend is 10 years younger than I am, and he really sticks out.

The "55" line seems to work out to an average of well over 70. While I'm a big fan of inclusion, there's something to be said for water finding its own level. An over-55 park is kind of like a fancy restaurant--a well-behaved child now and then wouldn't necessarily ruin it, but it's unlikely that either the child or the other patrons would find it the highlight of their lives, and it's definitely not something the owners of the restaurant would welcome gaining a foothold.

On edit: I ran across the OP's review of the place they stayed in the McAllen area, and went to the park's website, where it says in all caps: NO CHILDREN NO PETS

I'm glad the OP was able to find a place to stay, but if I were paying to make my home in a place that prohibited children or pets, I'd be chagrined to wake up next door to an RV with either seven children or seven dogs. I'd be particularly annoyed if my pool time had to be shared with seven children because face it, kids and adults behave differently in pools, period.

I doubt senior citizens go to Chuck E. Cheese for dinner and tell the kids to hold it down, and they don't even have any rules against them being there in the first place. That's because it's a kids place and everybody knows it. Evidently it's not the same for RV parks.

MCRANE
My family and I locked up our house two years ago and made a choice to not wait until we were to old to enjoy full time rving. Before doing this we spent most weekends enjoying our RV. My wife and I have four kids from 5 to 9. We have both lived in Florida most of our lives and I have always enjoyed seniors until we decided to full time. Don't get me wrong not all seniors are rude. The majority are very friendly and say that the kids remind them of thier grandkids that they miss. But the few who aren't friendly can make life horrible for a family. We have been treated like we were probly homeless even though my RV is newer than thiers. We were parked next to a lady that called the manager and said she didn't have kids for a reason, she didn't like to see, hear are know kids were anywhere around her. My kids are very respectful to others in the pool and I don't take them in the morning when the seniors are out but, if you are that afaid to have a kid splash you than you should stay out of the water. As far as seniors going to Chucky Cheese, I have seen many of grand parents there and have never seen a parent or a kid tell them they should leave because they are really unwelcome. I believe it is up to the owner if they want any group in thier park. But I also have no use for any anti kid park owner or RVer. I have work camped and can say first hand that drunk seniors can mess up a bathroom worse than a kid. I can also say first hand that families spend more money in campgrounds than seniors. More families are deciding to full time than ever before.
Lindsay Richards
There are all kinds of people in the world. Businesses have to chose their markets. If they chose wrong, it hurts their bottom line and if they chose right, it helps. Business people have to deal with the world as it is, not how they or you wish it to be. If it makes since for them to be an over 55 park, then they are smart to do it and to enforce it. If people choose to break the rules they should not be allowed to do so. If a senior (like me) chooses to go to a regular park, then they shouldn't get upset when children do what they do unless it is breaking the normal park rules. We can not force our values on everybody else. Camping is supposed to be fun and we are not supposed to trample on others rights. It is just good common sense. You would be wise not to attempt to stay at any over 55 park and to make sure your kids, dog or for that matter yourself don't bother anybody else. We all pretty much do this and violations of common sense are magnified by the close quarters of a campground.
MCRANE
QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ May 24 2011, 03:13 PM) *

There are all kinds of people in the world. Businesses have to chose their markets. If they chose wrong, it hurts their bottom line and if they chose right, it helps. Business people have to deal with the world as it is, not how they or you wish it to be. If it makes since for them to be an over 55 park, then they are smart to do it and to enforce it. If people choose to break the rules they should not be allowed to do so. If a senior (like me) chooses to go to a regular park, then they shouldn't get upset when children do what they do unless it is breaking the normal park rules. We can not force our values on everybody else. Camping is supposed to be fun and we are not supposed to trample on others rights. It is just good common sense. You would be wise not to attempt to stay at any over 55 park and to make sure your kids, dog or for that matter yourself don't bother anybody else. We all pretty much do this and violations of common sense are magnified by the close quarters of a campground.

I have no problem with respecting others rights to have a 55 and older park. Although I do have a problem with people who act like a campground is a 55 and older park when they are not. The place I am now is that way. Even though the owners have stated several times that the park is family friendly a group of seniors who stay here refuse to believe it. Those who have an attitude that families are not as good as they are, I have problems with. Before I goto any campground I ask if they are family friendly. If they hesitate at all in their response I will not go there. From a customere stand that is all I can do. As far as feeling sorry for someone because once a kid was a doing something that upset them, I have put up with a lot of adults who were not respectful. That is just part of being around different people.
Denali
QUOTE(MCRANE @ May 24 2011, 01:57 PM) *

I have no problem with respecting others rights to have a 55 and older park. Although I do have a problem with people who act like a campground is a 55 and older park when they are not. The place I am now is that way. Even though the owners have stated several times that the park is family friendly a group of seniors who stay here refuse to believe it. Those who have an attitude that families are not as good as they are, I have problems with. Before I goto any campground I ask if they are family friendly. If they hesitate at all in their response I will not go there. From a customere stand that is all I can do...
We are geezers, but we often encounter other old folks who are just an embarrassment to our cohort. We never had kids, by choice, but we appreciate the folks who have been willing to keep the human race going!

As people get older they become less tolerant, more fearful of their surroundings (that's why so many old folks have firearms in their RVs), and more sure that the world is going to hell in a hand basket. I'm sorry that your family has had to be the butt of these old croaks.

Your kids are very lucky to have this experience on the road. Don't let us old farts get you down!

Lindsay Richards
We live in Florida and a goodly percentage of the parks are over 55. We are now traveling thru SD on our way to Yellowstone and have not had a single problem with any other camper (Yet). When we have had problems with loud or unruly kids, it has almost always been teenager. I blame their parents. When My daughter was young, we used to tent camp a lot and she understood the rights of others.
katsuey
We stopped at a couple of campgrounds on our May 28 day trip. Most allowed children and not once did we see a child behaving inappropriate.

The KOA RV campground in Sioux City had a group of about 5 adults with 8 children. The youngest was still in diapers, the oldest was probably 12. They all seemed to have a great overnight, sat at the picnic table for breakfast then rode bikes. I enjoyed watching them - though glad I didn't have to feed to clean them.
Denali
QUOTE(katsuey @ Jun 1 2011, 07:58 PM) *
...The KOA RV campground in Sioux City had a group of about 5 adults with 8 children. The youngest was still in diapers, the oldest was probably 12. They all seemed to have a great overnight, sat at the picnic table for breakfast then rode bikes. I enjoyed watching them - though glad I didn't have to feed to clean them.
I have stayed in many 55+ parks like that, except that the oldest was in diapers, they sat in reclining lawn chairs, then went for rides on their three-wheelers.

Glad I didn't have to feed or clean them. smile.gif
jamarynn1
We just stayed in a 55-and-over park (and we are well over 55) that made me feel like a young'un. I'd have to say the average age was "one foot in the grave". I have watched cement dry faster than these people move. By nine p.m., everything was buttoned-up and dead quiet. The only excitement I saw was the daily dominos game that was played all afternoon in perfect silence. They're not all like that, are they?
Lindsay Richards
QUOTE(jamarynn1 @ Jun 8 2011, 01:40 AM) *

They're not all like that, are they?

Probably depends on your attitude going in.
MCRANE
We are camp hosting in a state park for the next 4 months. What a nice change from the
"resort" we were in. It is so nice to see families and seniors coming in to have a good time. From what I have seen in most of the campgrounds if a person has 8 or 7 kids and would put them in a RV and travel, they are usually well behaved and a close family. In would have to say I have seen more adults misbehave after a few to many drinks. Like I have said before if a campground owner wants a 55 plus park he has the right to, but with most seniors income being based on a fixed income or interest rates and with rising inflation it is not economically smart any more. On a personal note, I think there is something wrong with anyone whos number one concern when picking a rv park is if they allow a kid in. But that is just my opinion.
Galli
QUOTE(FosterImposters @ Dec 20 2010, 03:28 PM) *

Welcome to the forum Bestestes! cool.gif

We met and got to know a large extended family a couple years ago, (were you all ever in the southern California area?) that were also exploring the US. They reported similiar challenges in parts of the country. Their well behaved kids were seldom all outside the rig at once, so no one really noticed.

A tip they used (when asked how many in their group) involved sometimes catigorizing their very young teens and preteens of their gang...as adults.

Somehow it was more acceptable at some parks (?) for their group to be 5 adults and 5 kids. blink.gif

The good news was they only had one dog. laugh.gif

I see your point and attitude because you have been lucky and be confronted with well behaved families.
Unfortunately you cannot screen the campers and decide whether they are worth to have them closed by or not.
I have been in camps where people were very uneducated and their side could have been comparable to a slam site, children not respecting your privacy, shouting continuously and the adults donít make a move to control them.
I am used to spend my winters in Florida, I am spending a little more per day to have certain facility available and I insist in having them.
PS = I am not a grumpy old guy, I donít mind having children closed by but when a new unit arrive and the people are more than a reasonable number, I agree with the camp policy of refraining the occupancy of the place.

MCRANE
Sure I see a lot of uneducated parents with RVs in campgrounds. We just let are kids run wild just to make people mad. This is the reason I support 55 and older campgrounds, so I don't have to be next to grumpy old guys. Remember if we could pick are neighbors we would also have to find neighbors who would pick us.
Lindsay Richards
Looks like some of you under 55's can be pretty grumpy also. The whole idea is not to bother anybody else. Just common courtesy.
MCRANE
I was laughing the whole time I wrote that. It just kills me how because the person next to them had kids that upset him, the name calling starts and it is ok to call them uneducated. Maybe they were, but maybe they were a family just having a good time. It is the I'm better than you and I have my right not to have anyone different than me in the park. The post that started the whole thing talked about how seniors would like it if someone started a campground that was 55 and under. Some how it is OK to bash kids and families. I personally don't have a problem with anyone next to me that is friendly. I also have no problem with 55 plus parks just the people who act like kids are so bad and they are so great. It is not uncommon for us to have seniors next to us that argue loudly. Would it be fair if I said I don't like to see seniors park next to me. I would be the first to say I was in the wrong. Your right that it is all about having fun, but if you can't handle having different people around you why do you leave your house?
kcmoedoe
QUOTE(MCRANE @ Jun 15 2011, 05:45 PM) *

I was laughing the whole time I wrote that. It just kills me how because the person next to them had kids that upset him, the name calling starts and it is ok to call them uneducated. Maybe they were, but maybe they were a family just having a good time. It is the I'm better than you and I have my right not to have anyone different than me in the park. The post that started the whole thing talked about how seniors would like it if someone started a campground that was 55 and under. Some how it is OK to bash kids and families. I personally don't have a problem with anyone next to me that is friendly. I also have no problem with 55 plus parks just the people who act like kids are so bad and they are so great. It is not uncommon for us to have seniors next to us that argue loudly. Would it be fair if I said I don't like to see seniors park next to me. I would be the first to say I was in the wrong. Your right that it is all about having fun, but if you can't handle having different people around you why do you leave your house?

The issue is some people's idea of fun differs from others. I don't have a problem with people having a good time, but kids screaming at the top of their lungs at midnight while the family has a raging bonfire is fun for them, but not for the people who also paid good money for a place to call home. That is why there are different kinds of parks that have different policies and amenities. They are trying to attract a niche. It is the same reason McDonalds doesn't offer gourmet dining and 5 star restaurants don't have playgrounds. I don't think people are bashing families and kids in general, but they are bashing families and kids that do not behave in a manner that is appropriate for the type of park they have chosen to stay at. There are plenty of resources available to make an informed decision regarding a park. This site is one, the park's website is another, the travel guidebooks a third. Then you can also contact the park as see what the lay of the land is. For example, if a park advertises it is a convenient, quiet, overnight stop with easy off and on from the interstate, you probably shouldn't plan on staying there for your family reunion. It is trying to attract people who want to stop traveling for the night and get some sleep before resuming their travels. Loud parties into the night would not be appropriate. On the other hand, if you stay at a park that advertises it is a one stop place to entertain your children with clowns, waterparks, playgrounds, gamerooms, amusement rides etc, you should plan on a lot of noise and a lot of children playing, It would not be a place to stop for a few hours of silent rest. With all the resources at your fingertips, If you choose to stay at a park that operates differently than you desire, that is really your problem, not the problem of everyone else in the park.
Galli
QUOTE(MCRANE @ Jun 15 2011, 04:45 PM) *

I like your attitude, in life we have to be flexible and understanding , your freedom is limited to some body elseí rights, however, this forum discussion did generate first because a lady pretended to go into an RV park which was limiting two persons per unit with, If I remember, 7 kids and was complaining because the camp administration charged her so much per extra person.
I donít know the full story, however, if the agreement was for two, I had no quarrel for the camp site to charge extra.
From the top issue we expanded to campground for people starting from the age of 65 and over and I agreed with the complainant that children should not be admissible there not because is an undesired population but being young they have certain requirements that may annoy the elders.
There are children that could be accepted notwithstanding the age because are well behaved but there are others that are very wild and the family donít give a hood whether they are disturbing the neighbors or not.
Having considered the above, you cannot allow certain people and not others, that would be a discrimination, therefore, the camp administration would prevent these unpleasant situations by limiting the access to the people age specified in the add.
I donít mind having children around but there was one occasion that I had to file a complaint to the administration because they were invading my space, taking my things, being impolite and when I reported the facts to the family the only answer I had ..HOO THEY ARE CHILDREN .

MCRANE
I got it going now.lol. I understant everything you are saying. I have worked security in a park that was mostly seniors. The point I am beating into the ground is that I keep hearing "this one time,,,,,," over and over again. For every story about a family that was misbehaving I can tell you stories of seniors misbehaving. The last "resort" I worked in had 2 families in it and I have never seen the polcie in any campground more. Most were damestic violence and alcohal. Every time somthing broke you would here "children must have broke it", but there was no children there. Most of my friends are seniors so don't think I am putting all seniors down. It is actually a verry small bunch. We will all be there someday, just like most of you were all parents, and all of you were kids once. We all paid good money for our spot in any RV park so don't go looking for a problem if there is none.
MCRANE
QUOTE(Galli @ Jun 15 2011, 09:50 PM) *

I donít mind having children around but there was one occasion that I had to file a complaint to the administration because they were invading my space, taking my things, being impolite and when I reported the facts to the family the only answer I had ..HOO THEY ARE CHILDREN .

And yes, When I was working security I would have ran that family out just like we ran out the old guy who wouldn't stop taking his clothes off and running thru the park.lol biggrin.gif
Lindsay Richards
That was you who ran me off?
MCRANE
QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Jun 15 2011, 10:49 PM) *

That was you who ran me off?

Sory about that......
Cape Codger
Personally, I have no qualms of children in a 55+ park. I am well over 55 and have only found one park and that was in Old Orchard Beach ME that would not allow children at all. And that was because a few (as usual) ruined it for everybody.
Otherwise all of the parks 55+ we stay at coast to coast will allow children for a max of two weeks at least. What I do hate is the charges for grand children. I was at a park in Williamsburg VA that I pulled into at 7:45 at night with three of my grand children for a 8 appointment at William and Mary the next morning. They had the gall to charge me $10 resort fee even though everything is closed and locked at 8:00 PM. Then because they were not my children they were charged as guests and the bill came to over $91 for one nights parking.
Now when my Grand Daughter starts William and Mary next year Grandma and Grandpa will not be staying there for the next fours years during visits and when the home office asks me to renew my card I will refer them to this campground.
Lindsay Richards
In Florida where we live many, many of the parks are over 55 and do not allow children in at all. The bread and butter of these parks are the retired snowbirds who come and stay 4 or 5 months during the winter. We stay at lots of these parks on a nightly basis. I fully understand the need for them and park owners make the choice based on what they think will make them the most successful. Plenty of room for both sides.
MCRANE
The funny thing about the 55+ parks in Florida that I have found, the annuals complain that it is thier park and the seasonals don't belong. The seasonals complain about the over nighters and how they don't belong. And everyone compaines about the rallies coming in and how they don't belong. Eveyone paid good money for there spot and feels they are right. I wonder how many of them really don' t have a love for RVing and really wish they could afford a condo as a second home with a HOA. Now what really makes them mad is when a dumb southerner with kids like me comes rolling in. lol
Galli
QUOTE(MCRANE @ Jun 16 2011, 07:55 PM) *

The funny thing about the 55+ parks in Florida that I have found, the annuals complain that it is thier park and the seasonals don't belong. The seasonals complain about the over nighters and how they don't belong. And everyone compaines about the rallies coming in and how they don't belong. Eveyone paid good money for there spot and feels they are right. I wonder how many of them really don' t have a love for RVing and really wish they could afford a condo as a second home with a HOA. Now what really makes them mad is when a dumb southerner with kids like me comes rolling in. lol

Noop, in general people whose spends the winter months in campsites are financially stable or, at least, donít have problems in supporting themselves month by month, biggrin.gif they are retired with pension or with money away or they could not afford the camp, the motor home or trailer and the financial need to support themselves there for several months. laugh.gif
The point you issued is an other, namely, that camp is ***THEIR CAM*** and they fill entitled to know life and financial status of every one around ph34r.gif and if you allow a new face to come in as a group or week-ender, they are not part of the family, they might belong to a different political group or, worst than that, they belong to a different religion. ohmy.gif
How can you make a conversation with some one without knowing all above, tell me, if you hate Bush and that new person is a Republican !!!!! Or, you are (Druid religion) and entertain a conversation with that guy whoís secularist, blink.gif whatís going to happen, first embarrassment and second at night he or she may come to slash your trailerís tires. ohmy.gif
You donít know all these thing and let me talk berceuse I am retired, I am spending my winters in Florida and I have written down the name, the political affiliation, religion of every single one at my comp he, he, he. biggrin.gif
Notwithstanding all above, it is better this than being at the office for 8 hours a day and to having to smile to your boss even if you hate it. HE, HE, HE.
MCRANE
ohmy.gif WOW,,,,and see a dumb southerner like me didn't even know it went that deep......I guess with my kids I didn't get to that part of the interview biggrin.gif
MCRANE
Ok let me ask a question and please feel free for everyone to answer it . As a parent who loves Rving with 4 kids who love it, and want to do the right thing. The biggest reason I have read why 55+ RVers don't want kids camping around them is at least one time they had to deal with kids who did not respect them. This is correct, right? Now how as a parent am I suppose to teach my kids to respect you if, you don't respect us enough to want us in your park? unsure.gif
Cape Codger
First let me say that in forty plus years of camping that usually misbehaving children most often have misbehaving parents so just ignore if you can.
Being Grandparents we enjoy seeing young ones having a good time, it reminds us of when our children were young.
Next, we have a love hate relationship with 55+ parks or any park that has perm. homes and such. We try to avoid them at all costs as others have said in their posts. Give us real campers who cook and live outside and enjoy the flowers. If I want somebody complaining about kids and how precious their lawn is I could stay at home and listen to the neighbors gripe about kids.
As I try to remind others at some of these 55+ campgrounds, your children and grandchildren wont remember how great your lawn was. They will remember though what you did with them and where you took them.
Lindsay Richards
It is all about kids being kids and doing things that disturb others. The kids are just doing what comes naturally and we adults are just wanting to do what we want to do. There is no big conspiracy either way. Over 55 is a legally protected group and kids are not. If over 55 parks start breaking their rules, they can lose their status.
Many times, you will have "groups" within long term parks that with little else productive to do will start manufacturing problems for entertainment purposes. We camp in over 55 parks all the time when in Florida and don't have any problems. It is all about respecting others rights. We were stopped several nights ago on the North Shore of Lk Superior and a man with a dog on a leash allowed his dog to poop right in front of our neighbors site while he looked away (no way he didn't know). The neighbor waited a while and then went and picked it up. Had this happened to me I am afraid, I would have done the same thing, but put it on the offenders camper steps.
joez
It is all about kids being kids and doing things that disturb others. The kids are just doing what comes naturally and we adults are just wanting to do what we want to do.

This statement should end this thread. Children are disruptive. They should be, they have to be. They have unlimited energy and have to move to burn it. They are small with squeaky voices so they have to yell to be heard. They forget that you should not slam doors and you certainly cannot expect them to swim gracefully and sedately in a pool.

Seniors are cliquish, gossipy, grumpy and set in our ways. We hurt from the minute we get up in the morning until we go to bed tired at 10 pm. We hate getting old and lots of activity around us makes us jealous and nervous. We like our lives to be sedate and routine because it is easier for us to manage that way. We worked hard for our money and when we spend it we want what we bought to be exactly as we thought it would be. We love our grandkids but love to send them home when the visit is over.

Parents forget that their children are not precious to anyone else just as we seniors forget that our little yappy dogs are not cute to anyone else. We typically avoid "family friendly" parks because we are not foolish enough to think we will fit into a group of younger parents and their children.

MCRANE
QUOTE(Cape Codger @ Jun 17 2011, 10:24 AM) *

As I try to remind others at some of these 55+ campgrounds, your children and grandchildren wont remember how great your lawn was. They will remember though what you did with them and where you took them.

That is one of the smartest things I have heard so far!
Oh and today is my 35th birthday so only 20 more years and I can flip sides. biggrin.gif
Galli
QUOTE(MCRANE @ Jun 16 2011, 09:46 PM) *

Ok let me ask a question and please feel free for everyone to answer it . As a parent who loves Rving with 4 kids who love it, and want to do the right thing. The biggest reason I have read why 55+ RVers don't want kids camping around them is at least one time they had to deal with kids who did not respect them. This is correct, right? Now how as a parent am I suppose to teach my kids to respect you if, you don't respect us enough to want us in your park? unsure.gif

Very good, your morality is perfect, love your neighbor and he/she will love you back, unfortunately in the real life the things work in a different way, you have to understand, the camps, in general, are there to make money and if you do have a camp geared on 55 + plus it means that the people there are all retired and if not retired are people in a financial position to spend 2 Ė 3 - 4 or.. months on the place and that means money for the camp.
If they start to bend the rules by letting in the general public, the winter ďsnow birdsĒ will not be happy and will spend their money in different place the following year.
Now, letís make a calculation, you and when I am saying you I mean nice family that have well educated children with the right to have a vacations, however, you will spend about a 1,000 or 1,500 dollars for your vacation at the camp when each unit of the old people may spend for sure 3 or 4 or 5,000 dollars per season.
Now I understand and I know thatís not fair but business is business.
Furthermore, I donít think it is a discrimination as long as they advertise the condition for being accepted into the camp.
I am sorry but I cannot criticize the camp administration for their behaviors
JDRobar
I personally don't have a problem with kids smile.gif ....I'm pretty tolerant, yet bold enough to visit the parents if need be, although some times it takes me a while to get worked up to that point. mad.gif

For that reason I do understand how some folks don't want to be bothered.

Conversly, I understand how MCRANE feels that it's a shame their kids are blocked from some camp grounds, as it sounds like MCRANE is a responsible person. It's too bad some parents aren't more receptive to comments about their kids. Let's face it, it is NOT the kids' fault rolleyes.gif. It's how they were brought up.
Galli
QUOTE(JDRobar @ Jun 18 2011, 06:11 PM) *

I personally don't have a problem with kids smile.gif ....I'm pretty tolerant, yet bold enough to visit the parents if need be, although some times it takes me a while to get worked up to that point. mad.gif

For that reason I do understand how some folks don't want to be bothered.

Conversly, I understand how MCRANE feels that it's a shame their kids are blocked from some camp grounds, as it sounds like MCRANE is a responsible person. It's too bad some parents aren't more receptive to comments about their kids. Let's face it, it is NOT the kids' fault rolleyes.gif. It's how they were brought up.

I have to agree with you, don't blame the kids, blame the parents.
Unfortunately you cannot find out in advance the kids' behavior and the parents unrolling, therefore, the only alternative is to keep them out in the first place, it might be discrimination but it is also a discrimination if you had paid to have quietness and being stuck with the world war.
MCRANE
Galli, I thank you for the nice words. I just want to dissagree with your math a little. We full time so not counting us, let me tell you what I have seen in Florida long term parks. I worked in a campground that was a RV golf resort in Florida. We had seasonals that came for 6 months usally. They paid around $2600 for 6 months and $3600 for anual. over nighters paid $40 a night. for the same return you only have to book 65 night instead of 6 months and 90 nights for a year. now what do you get in return? The seasonals expect entertainment,WIFI,other amenities for long term stays. Most of them have a activties cordinator that comes out of your budget, cost of use to your buildings, upkeep, cooling, heating ect. Most seniors even if they have money didn't like to part with it for anything. So if you charged more than last year for anything people were mad and swor they wouldn't be back next year. Because they were loyal customeres they expected a discount. Now overnighters came in never complained about prices, didn't use the buildings much. Came with the intent to spend money on what ever you have to sell them. Now I understand the need for seasonals and want everyone to come and have a great time. The park I was at wasn't a "55 plus park" but might as well have been. The owners see how the times have changed and are tring to bring in more families but it is hard when the rest of your clients make it known that they don't want families and do everything they can to be nasty and run them out. Just like everyone hear has agreed on it's up to the owners to have a 55 plus park or not. Try telling a senior who has been coming there for a few years and tells you this is our park.
My opinion has always been it is up to the owner what kind of park they want. And I never said except for joking I wanted to be let into your parks. Believe me, I wont ever put my kids in a situation like that again.
The only thing that makes me mad about any of it is when seniors try to sound all high and mighty about the whole thing. Like their rig is better, or there're cleaner people that don't cause any trouble. We all have a right to RV if we can aford to. If a park owner lets families in you don't have a right to make their life hell. Realize that you can just as easily be ruining someone elses vacation just like you are complaining that kids ruined yours that one time you remember.
JDRobar
Some of us over 55 people are pretty snooty mad.gif , that's for sure. Ain't nothin' worse than having to deal with a self-righteous person politely, no matter what the age; but, just like bad news, bad manners don't seem to get better with age. I like to think of it as it's own reward when I have to deal with people like that.

Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds' to be.

Then again, if Parks were trying to keep the kids out by defining them as under 55, whoo-boy, did they miss the mark on that one! I STILL feel like a 12 year old trapped in a 60 year old body - fortunately - I don't always act that way. rolleyes.gif

Here's to all having a good experience when RVing, no matter what age they are ! wink.gif
MCRANE
QUOTE(JDRobar @ Jun 19 2011, 05:04 PM) *

Some of us over 55 people are pretty snooty mad.gif , that's for sure. Ain't nothin' worse than having to deal with a self-righteous person politely, no matter what the age; but, just like bad news, bad manners don't seem to get better with age. I like to think of it as it's own reward when I have to deal with people like that.

Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds' to be.

Then again, if Parks were trying to keep the kids out by defining them as under 55, whoo-boy, did they miss the mark on that one! I STILL feel like a 12 year old trapped in a 60 year old body - fortunately - I don't always act that way. rolleyes.gif

Here's to all having a good experience when RVing, no matter what age they are ! wink.gif

Thanks, I'm sure if we were camped next to each other we would get along great.Now that I have carple tunnel biggrin.gif I feel like I have said all I have to say about the subject for now. I'm gonna keep my morals and treat my neibors the way I want them to treat me. If that isn't good enough for other people, We are in a 45' 2010 KZ inferno toy hauler with blue stripes. Since I'm not in a 55+ park, if you are booked next to me and your gonna prejudge my family, Do us both a favor and ask the office if you can get a different spot. tongue.gif
Galli
QUOTE(doubleaxlefifthwheel @ Mar 13 2012, 10:49 AM) *

Interesting topic! A lot of 55+ resorts and those who aren't but operate as if they are will tell you that you better put a deposit and get booked because they fill up during the winter and you will be out of luck. L.O.L. There might still be some that do actually fill up but there are far more that haven't been over the past couple years. As this recession/ depression or what ever you want to call it drags on I see more and more seniors cutting their stays shorter and as fuel prices rise more head back home sooner. If this continues I don't see how it can be good for those who have hung their hats on the 55+ crowd. Perhaps that is why some are giving to tolerating families for no more than 14 days etc. I have seen more and more families home schooling and traveling with their kids. It will be interesting to see if these hard times continue on for a few years how many of these 55+ resorts will humble themselves and reach out to the younger travelers or choose the other option which will be closing their doors.

Interesting your point of view but, as you mention it depends of the place that you are planning to go, I shall give you an example, it is my 7th. Winter in Florida in a Specific campground and yes I agree with you, there are available spaces during winter but, if you want a specific place, you have to book it in advance.
I have a fishing boat and in order to keep it in the water without having to take it in and out every times I use it, I have to have a lot that confines with the water; I know that there are other persons that are using the public hygienic facilities and if the place available is on the other site of the resortÖ. , however, if you wait till last minute, you might have a choice to decide in a minute notice while booking in advance you may not be satisfied to having chosen that place.

togators
I have been reading this tread because I am in my mid 30's with a child and I enjoy seeing both opinions on this matter (and a few that are in the middle). The last entry mentioned that you must reserve in advance in order to get a specific spot. We are regressing from the original topic but I do have a view on that. Each park should have a limit on how much in advance you can make a reservation and how long you can stay on that specific spot. I realize some rv parks do but recently, especially with bad ecomomy, most don't. The same rigs are in the same spot year after year. I understand that you develop a community while in Florida, but what about the working guy that only has the weekend off that wants to have his boat behind his rig. I am willing to book in advance, and pay a premium but the same people renew the same spots usually before they go home for the summer. We never have the opportunity to make that reservation. I do not know the answer to this problem (maybe allow reservation only 6 month in advance, which I know some do). Sorry for the lenght but as you can see, It gets frustrating trying to rv during the winter for me.
dalsgal
Most likely those campgrounds that allow people to reserve the same spot each year just want that spot rented. It is better to know that you have a certain spot rented for the season than to leave it open just in case someone comes along and might want it for a week end or even a week. They see the reservation as money in their pocket and an open site as "maybe" money.
Galli
QUOTE(dalsgal @ Mar 14 2012, 02:28 PM) *

Most likely those campgrounds that allow people to reserve the same spot each year just want that spot rented. It is better to know that you have a certain spot rented for the season than to leave it open just in case someone comes along and might want it for a week end or even a week. They see the reservation as money in their pocket and an open site as "maybe" money.

Unfortunately it is always the money talking, it is not fair but, booking in advance it mean for the full season, winter season which means at least 3 to 4 months and the camp administration will give the priority to those people than the week enders.
I am paying $ 2,700 for 4 months and I insist to have a specific spot, if not granted, they are going to loose me.
I know that it is not fair but we are living in a capitalistic environment and more they are earning more privileges are given.
Donít feel too bad, if we have this privileges is because we have time in our hand and if we do have time it means that we are old and been old , according to logic we will die first he, he, he.
kcmoedoe
QUOTE(togators @ Mar 14 2012, 10:13 AM) *

I have been reading this tread because I am in my mid 30's with a child and I enjoy seeing both opinions on this matter (and a few that are in the middle). The last entry mentioned that you must reserve in advance in order to get a specific spot. We are regressing from the original topic but I do have a view on that. Each park should have a limit on how much in advance you can make a reservation and how long you can stay on that specific spot. I realize some rv parks do but recently, especially with bad ecomomy, most don't. The same rigs are in the same spot year after year. I understand that you develop a community while in Florida, but what about the working guy that only has the weekend off that wants to have his boat behind his rig. I am willing to book in advance, and pay a premium but the same people renew the same spots usually before they go home for the summer. We never have the opportunity to make that reservation. I do not know the answer to this problem (maybe allow reservation only 6 month in advance, which I know some do). Sorry for the lenght but as you can see, It gets frustrating trying to rv during the winter for me.

To an RV park, a site is nothing but a piece of inventory. Same as a loaf of bread at Walmart. If someone is willing to buy that site, they sell it. They would be foolish to turn down a sale and hope that someone else will come and buy it at a later date. You go to the RV park to enjoy and have a good time. They open to make money. It is just a different perspective. You would be happier with a better site and if the park loses a few days of rental on that site, you would be fine. The park would be happier to not lose those days of rental even if they lose you as a customer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.