Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Surge Supressor
RV Park Reviews Campground Discussion Forum > RV Park and Campground Discussions > General Chat
pianotuna
Hi all,

My second attempt at a poll on this question.
B. Kidd
It amazes me the # of people I see in my travels that don't use them. I don't hook up without my 'Surge Guard'. They are not cheap, but are a heckuva lot cheaper then replacing circuit boards!!! wink.gif
Florida Native
I spent a little extra and have the ability to lock mine to the cable as they are easily stolen in the middle of the night. My Surgeguard 50 AMP also a 2 minute sytem check when you first turn it on. I have used it hundreds of times so it only works out to be a little each time, but it only takes once to ruin the electronics on your coach. I used to check the pedestal out each time with an electronic tester, but that only tells you at that moment and offers no protection.
chowhound
QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Aug 18 2011, 06:18 PM) *

I spent a little extra and have the ability to lock mine to the cable as they are easily stolen in the middle of the night. My Surgeguard 50 AMP also a 2 minute sytem check when you first turn it on. I have used it hundreds of times so it only works out to be a little each time, but it only takes once to ruin the electronics on your coach. I used to check the pedestal out each time with an electronic tester, but that only tells you at that moment and offers no protection.

Lindsey - How did you "lock" it to the cable?
DXSMac
Need a third answer:

Yes, if the post allows one.

I've been at posts where they didn't fit.

JJ
Florida Native
QUOTE(chowhound @ Aug 18 2011, 07:56 PM) *

Lindsey - How did you "lock" it to the cable?

They have a hasp. Check link below. My hasp is an older model and not this nice, but it would keep a thief away for sure. It connects the cable plug to the surge protector. See link.

http://surgeguard.com/lock_hasps.html

I have run into several pedestals that have been too low for my surge protector to be used.
chowhound
Thanks Lindsey, I will add it to my shopping list.
Tallboy
Have had ours for almost 7 years. Have been to three parks that had electric problems and was glad we had it. It kicked out at each one of these.

We don't have a lock on ours. No one has stolen it yet.
pianotuna
Hi,

It is interesting that there have been 372 views--but only 20 votes. Can I assume the non voters are not surge suppressor owners?
Texasrvers
I think a better assumption is that they just didn't want to vote.
Florida Native
Hard to tell by looking around in a campground because many high end coaches come with it prewired at the inboard end of the cable.
Onemoretrail
Three years ago my son lost his converter due to a lightning storm. I wasn't using a surge suppresor then, but I bought two (one for me and one for my son) so I might be better protected. I figured with all my camping I had been pretty lucky not to have had any problems. What I had been doing was checking out the electrical post for any problems, but that is not going to protect you from an electrical surge or spike. Even now I think the next step should be a voltage regulator. I have been using a voltmeter for questionable electrical sources. That certainly helped me in Baja California where I ended up not trusting any of the rv parks electrical. Now if someone would only put out a combination box that had everything needed for electrical protection.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.