Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: KOA
RV Park Reviews Campground Discussion Forum > RV Park and Campground Discussions > RV Park Discussions
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Testudo
I sympathise with you 'RLM' but I have to agree with 'Gilda'. KOA seems to attract so much negativity that it is only fair to give people the chance to discuss the reasons for it or to have the chance to disagree. There are too many new people coming along all the time to just make gross generalizations and expect them to put it into some kind of perspective.

I feel pressured to have a bad opinion of KOA by the RV community, in general, but I'm, in fact, indifferent. I just try to stick to RV parks that work for _me_. If they happen to be KOAs, I'm okay with that.
hirschy
Well, I hope I will enjoy my upcoming trip.
I just found this site, AFTER reserving quite a few KOA sites for my Dec. trip.
I printed off plenty of review sheets smile.gif and will give feedback on each site I stay at.

So far at least, the sites I reserved from KAO all had decent reviews tongue.gif

Love this forum and will update when I get back in January cool.gif
gwbischoff
QUOTE(hirschy @ Nov 17 2007, 06:05 PM) *

So far at least, the sites I reserved from KAO all had decent reviews tongue.gif

Then you should be fine.

Treat them all as you would any other CG. Just because they are a "chain" doesn't mean that they're all identical.
leftyf
I've got KOA's that I rave about. I've got Good Sam Parks that I rave about. And soon, I'll be checking out some of the Escapee Parks, if Uncle Sam ever decides the rate of my war wounds. I've got private parks that I rave about.

I've also got KOAs and Good Sam Parks that were the best I've ever seen except for the people running them. Great park...horrible people. If I like a park, I'll stay there every chance I get. If I don't like a park, I'll sleep in a road side rest area before I give them any of my money.

You pays your money and you takes your chances...or you spend a lot of time on the internet.
gwbischoff
While I know that I'm running the risk of starting up the "For or Against KOA Jihad" again, I assure you that this is just for informational purposes for those who are interested:

http://koa.com/valuekard/vkrewards.htm

DXSMac
Wow, a thread that started in 2004!!!

Ok, I'll throw in my two cents. I'm an "anti junk mail" freak. I don't like my name and address spread around. Never had a problem with NON KOA parks. However, when I stayed at a KOA park, I got put on a junk mail list! I will never ever stay at a KOA park again!

The one I did stay at was in Kent, WA (near Seattle), and it wasn't bad, but wasn't the best place, either.

JJ
Testudo
Ok, I'll throw in my two cents. I'm an "anti junk mail" freak. I don't like my name and address spread around. Never had a problem with NON KOA parks. However, when I stayed at a KOA park, I got put on a junk mail list! I will never ever stay at a KOA park again!

Why cut yourself off from KOAs at _this_ point ? Isn't the damage already done ???

Also, do you still pay taxes and go to National Parks or have you cut them off, too ? 'Cause I'm _sure_ your Federal and State governments have been selling "your information" all over the place {grin!}.
BuckT
Hey there!

I agree with the the sentiment that each must stand on their own merit, or lack there of as the case may be. I have experienced the great, the good, the Oh well, the bad and the "never again"! It is unfortunate that the KOA corp. does not do more to keep standards at a better premium for each member campground in their system. As a Scouting supporter, I appreciate their efforts to provide advancement programs for scouts, but I do find it difficult to bring myself to seeing a really good "Scout" campout at a KOA. These campgrounds are much too crowded and provide too much distraction.

I must say that my perception at least from the corporate-side seems to be a sincere desire to improve the franchise and I do appreciate that. I look forward to seeing if they are successful in their endeavor. It would be nice on trips with multiple stops to able to expect a certain level of continuity considering the ease of reservation effort with their website.
momschool07
My husband and I worked at a KOA in NW GA (Ringgold). It was the worst workamping experience we had ever had! Not all KOA are the same. Most of them are privately owned, so it depends on what type of people the owners are. So whether your a camper or a worker, steer clear of the KOA in Ringgold, GA - read the reviews and find out why.

God Bless!
DXSMac
QUOTE(Testudo @ Mar 9 2008, 09:29 PM) *

Why cut yourself off from KOAs at _this_ point ? Isn't the damage already done ???

Also, do you still pay taxes and go to National Parks or have you cut them off, too ? 'Cause I'm _sure_ your Federal and State governments have been selling "your information" all over the place {grin!}.

I take measures (file opt outs, etc), and register with DMA for "no junk" and everything else.

Also, Federal and State parks have "self registration." I just register with my name and don't even bother to give my address. I scratch through my address on the check. Never been hassled about doing this.

JJ
dawziecat
I am not going to engage in any heated debate over KOA. Just offer my opinion based on several years experience.

They are pretty consistent, at least far more so than "independents."

But they have priced themselves too high IMO. I still go to them when they are convenient and I require "full services," i.e., showers, laundromat.

Most times I prefer state campgrounds. Much prettier and generally cheaper. But, of course, the services available vary widely.
rvlovah
QUOTE(Beastdriver @ Dec 7 2005, 08:13 AM) *

jensjems:

Welcome to this site and welcome to the world of RV'ing. I found your comments about KOAs most interesting. We've been doing this for several years and, during that time, have had literally hundreds of conversations about KOA with full-timers and almost full-timers. Most, but not all, feel that many KOAs, and the KOA chain as a whole, is analagous to K-Mart. Tired, outdated, not much spent to modernize, overpriced in relation to other "discount" stores, being poorly lighted and poorly stocked, and, in general, not a good place to go anymore, although it used to be. We have stayed at a few KOAs that are excellent (Petoskey, Michigan, for example), but most of those where we have stayed are second rate with ridiculously high prices for what you get. Perhaps you've just been very lucky in your choice of places, and we've been very unlucky. Still, I find that, almost without fail, this site will forewarn me of KOAs to avoid (most of them) and, whenever I get a real KOA dump, it's because I didn't pay heed to those comments on this site. Anyway, again, welcome!

I dont know if this is an accurate view of all KOA's. I stayed at the Flagstaff KOA recently and I asked them being that they are over 40 ears old if they still thought of doing upgrades and the manager told me that they spend $125,000.00 in 2008 alone they upgraded something like 30 sites with 50 amp serivce and cable, added stronger wi-fi, cut 30 trees and repaved and widened roads and threw events every weekend. I was surprised that a park so old would do so much but you could see the roads and fresh cut tree stumps that had been ground down. Im sure it is more expensive at KOA's becuase they offer more. State parks are $20.00 without hook ups. I stayed at most KOA's for just around $30.00 and they have great bathrooms, free wi-fi, some even have coffee in the morning...that can be expensive to offer. so I would say I am a very happy KOA Vale Kard camper.
Lee and Fran
Ok I too will throw my two cents in here. I have stayed at many rv parks thru the years and probably seen as many bad as I have good. I have found a lot of KOAs a heck of a lot cheaper than places in states like florida and calif. I have been a member of KOA on and off for many years. Right now I am not a member again only cuz I am not using them enough to justify buying another membership. I have also been a member of Passport America who a lot of people swear by but I refuse to be a member again having found more dumps and fewer places to stay than with KOA. Sometimes I think if every rv park were part of some organization there would be complaints about those organizations. Only because you will always have bad with the good. For now I will be happy with any park that is clean and has 50 amp hookups, including KOA.
Oregon Ms
Last summer we boycotted KOA simply based on the inflated prices. It was a good move, we found a lot of nice reasonably priced campgrounds that we wouldn't have bothered looking for otherwise.
nicki
Last summer we drove from Michigan to California and back again, making 14 CG stops over a one month period, ALL KOA's, in a rental RV. We were brand-new to rv-ing so that's why we stuck to KOA's. The website is super easy to use, and we found the campgrounds predictable in that they were for the most part clean and the hook-ups were in pretty good repair in most cases, also every one we encountered was dog friendly (we have 2) and kid friendly (also 2)(pools/playgound) and none of them were "party campgrounds." We never had a problem with noise or rowdiness. Most of the owners were very friendly and helpful. These were all very important to us because we were brand-new to camping, and doing such a long trip as our FIRST outing was a huge endeavor. Well, the trip went fabulously, we learned alot along the way, and now we have had many many more camping experiences since, in our own camper that we have since purchased. Having said all that, there IS a wide range of quality in KOA CG's. Some were glorified parking lots, while some were incredibly beautiful and fun. My favorite was the KOA in Hill City, SD near Mount Rushmore. Another one we loved was the one in Pahrump, NV. So just do your research before going to a KOA or any CG really, especially if it's intended as a "destination" and not just a stopover. Now we have branched out to try all different kinds of CG's, not just KOA's, but I do believe KOA gave us the confidence to try camping and come to love it. I stand by them 100%.
DadOf3
I have to agree with you. I tend to stay away from KOA simply because they only give you a discount if you have "THEIR" membership which they charge extra for. I already pay for a AAA and Good Sam membership, I really don't need another. I can usually find a good independent campground in the same area with similar amenities at a lower price. Why pay KOA's inflated price and membership?

Just my 2 bits...

QUOTE(Oregon Ms @ Dec 1 2008, 02:57 AM) *

Last summer we boycotted KOA simply based on the inflated prices. It was a good move, we found a lot of nice reasonably priced campgrounds that we wouldn't have bothered looking for otherwise.

harryb
Hi All,

My wife and I took a cross country trip in June with my parents. We were in a 42 foot 5th wheel.We stayed at a variety of campgrounds including KOA. We only had 1 experience that I found irritating at a KOA in North Little Rock AR. They put us on a space that was not level with no shade. We asked to be moved and the attendant acted like it would be a major pain to move us.
The spaces are crammed so close together that we could not open our awning without hitting the camper next to us. The other KOA campgrounds were great. We really liked the KOA in Denver CO. They had all the usual accommodations you would expect. They even had pizza they delivered to your camper. That was really cool. You cannot judge the whole chain by 1 bad experience.\

Just my$.02

Harry
gatordan
QUOTE(easyrider65_01 @ Sep 30 2004, 02:22 AM) *

I am relatively new to owning an RV and I was wondering if KOAs as a whole are nice or if it better to stay non-franchise cg s. I f have stayed a few KOAs and I get the feeling that KOA does not monitor the cgs that are not in the more tourist areas. I plan on doing a lot of traveling and KOA has a great website to locate a cg. I hope that my poor experiences have been the exception rather than the norm. So, as a whole are KOAs to be avoided mad.gif or enjoyed biggrin.gif ?

Study the campground prices in Woodall's or Trailer Life. Notice that in almost every instance the KOA's charge 20-30% more than better-than-comparable campgrounds in the same area?
THere are exceptions, of course, but generally staying at a KOA is our last resort. Use the forementioned campground books, or, better yet, this RVPARKREVIEWS to guide you in your search.
weracmping
My experience has been KOAs have many activities for children but take a pocket full of money. Other campgrounds offer these activities without the pricing. Also if you are looking for a quieter crowd with out SO many children try to avoid them all together
campinngal
I agree with the fact they vary dramatically. Some are destinations in themselves (with great amenities, events, etc), others are dirt patches next to the highway. For either type, I just like a clean restroom (!) and have only found one that wasn't up to standards. The original KOA in Billings, MT was terrific. We stopped there for propane and I wished we could have stayed as one could have eaten off the roads it was so impeccably clean and visually appealing. I would suggest going to the website for a specific KOA that you are considering and look at the amenities. Then come back to this site and ask. I know that KOA has been known to drop some campgrounds that weren't meeting the standards. Good luck.
Tom
QUOTE(DXSMac @ Feb 14 2008, 08:53 PM) *

Wow, a thread that started in 2004!!!

LOL, now we're up to 2009, going into 2010!

There seem to be fewer KOAs in New England, or maybe we just never seem to be near any. The only KOA we've stayed at was this summer in Canada, at the Niagara Falls KOA. It was really nice, really clean, well taken care of, the employees were all polite and knowledgable... Actually, I was surprised, considering how many "iffy" reviews I've seen of KOAs.

Just going by that one KOA, I was impressed... but all the bad reviews really put me on my guard about KOAs!
Kirk
There are some who say that the letters KOA stand for : Keep On Adding. It is my experience that they do tend to have lots of things which they charge extra for. We usually only stay in one when nothing else is available.
dalsgal
KOA is one we use only as a desperate last resort. I have never stayed at one that I liked. At one, they charged us $70 extra for electric and we know that there is no way in the world we used that much over the months rent since we didn't use heaters, a/c and were gone a lot. Our bus is old and ulgy and the owner came and told us that KOA doesn't allow buses.Of course he told me that after he watched his cashier take my months rent and I was told buses were welcome when I called in advance. I found out from corporate that it is up to the individual owner. I didn't have a problem with a no bus rule but don't lie about it.

At another that was almost empty we got everything hooked up and they came and told us they had put us in a reserved spot and we had to move. We did and they never put anyone in that spot.

None of the KOA's we stayed at were very clean, the price was high and the employees were rude.
simsfmly
We're different than most of the others on this post -- we actually look at KOA's first. We're VIP members with KOA and do enjoy the predictability.
Yes, they're higher priced than average, run of the mill CG's; but we're OK with paying those extra few dollars. What we've found is where they're a little higher than others around, the clientele that stays there is also.
We've seen some dumps along the way that have really surprised us. Not so surprising is after we stayed there was an email from Corporate wanting a "review" of those sites.
As most all have said, this is the best site if you're going anywhere you're not accustomed to.
olivercamper
This is a tough question to answer. There are two types of KOA kampgrounds. Those that are individually owned and operate with a franchise and those that are corporate owned. By corporate owned I mean by the KOA corporation.

Corporate is usually your best bet as they have a reputation to uphold. The individually owned are just like any other business, there are good ones and not so good ones. Just keep looking at the campground reviews, use your good judgement and go for it!

Happy kamping!
denbroncs
QUOTE(olivercamper @ Oct 30 2009, 03:55 PM) *

Corporate is usually your best bet as they have a reputation to uphold. The individually owned are just like any other business, there are good ones and not so good ones.

Corporate KOA's are by far the worst KOA's on the planet. Not only will you not find an owner (ever) I challenge you to find someone to even take ownership of a problem. You will also pay 20 to 40% more at a corporate KOA for any given night. For example, Nashville KOA will run you over $80 night - in November!!
summerland
[/quote]Corporate KOA's are by far the worst KOA's on the planet. Not only will you not find an owner (ever) I challenge you to find someone to even take ownership of a problem. You will also pay 20 to 40% more at a corporate KOA for any given night. For example, Nashville KOA will run you over $80 night - in November!![quote]
Wow, You must not camp much or simply don't know anything about how rv parks operate. You are talking about Nashville....NASHVILLE....
Funny too....I came across this post of yours.....And YOU don't like negativity????? laugh.gif

[quote]I found this commentary on another site - thought it was appropriate to place here as it seems negativity is usually the "fuel" for a lot of these posts.

Why So Negative?
Posted on August 17, 2009 by That's Camping - Miscellaneous

It’s been a very disheartening season. I have never seen so many negative campground reviews and comments EVER in all the years I have been running this web site. Some were so inappropriate, that they never became them public. It has been a disappointing summer.

Don’t get me wrong; I don’t believe this site should be all positive reviews and feedback, but the negativity has to be constructive; it has to be useful for site visitors to read and helpful to campgrounds to learn from.

Yes, campers are stressed. Many can only afford one vacation for the year, and they choose camping because it’s less expensive than airfare and hotel rates. But it seems that people are expecting more than ever for their $30 or $40 a night.

Before you start complaining about your stay, stop and think about the reasoning behind your complaints and demands.

“The owners were rude”
“The bathrooms were filthy”
“Roads are full of ruts”
“The campsite was muddy”
“They made us go to bed at 11pm”
“There was nothing for my children to do”

Campgrounds are a business! Like so many other businesses around New England, they are feeling the financial pinch. Some campground owners are on the brink of losing their business. Staff has been let go, repairs go unfixed, bathrooms are not cleaned, sales are down, loan payments are due, taxes & insurance rates have been increased, and stress levels are high. It’s no wonder that campground owners are moody and unhappy.

Your negative comments are not just a way for you to blow off steam because you had a bad vacation at a campground. Your comments are affecting the livelihood of other human beings!

Campgrounds rely on word of mouth advertising. Complaints can cause a decrease in sales, and that ultimately causes more staff loss or worse the loss of the whole business.

To repeat, I am not discouraging negativity; it wouldn’t be fair to expect everyone to only post positive comments, and it would be boring too. But the comments and reviews received have been increasingly demanding and pretentious; it’s an attitude of “I am the customer, & I am always right” and there is an element of revenge or “payback” in some of the comments. It really makes me sad that people are not more compassionate.

So please THINK before you post a comment or send a review. Think about how your negativity is going to be received on the other end, and maybe soften your words so it is constructive and not hurtful.

Thank you for listening to my rant. Happy Camping![/quote]
denbroncs
Funny too....I came across this post of yours.....And YOU don't like negativity?????
Ummm. . . . you might want to read a little more thoroughly before you reply. The thread I created was a quote from someone else - not me. I was and am not taking a stand on negativity but was simply pointing out that a camper is more likely to review if they had a bad experience.

Either way, this thread is in regards to KOA - which your post did not reference whatsoever. After reading your reply again, I'm still unsure as to why you responded at all. Perhaps you are taking full privilege of the freedoms offered in this country? rolleyes.gif
summerland
Sorry that you can't understand my post. I was RE-posting something that you felt the need to share with us regarding how another person felt about negative posts. Then, lo and behold; you decide to ignore your own advice and turn a KOA thread into a negative comment regarding KOA's. The easiest resolve to your dis-like of KOA's is to simply continue to stay out of them instead of complaining about them. rolleyes.gif
denbroncs
QUOTE(summerland @ Nov 2 2009, 05:44 PM) *

Sorry that you can't understand my post. I was RE-posting something that you felt the need to share with us regarding how another person felt about negative posts. Then, lo and behold; you decide to ignore your own advice and turn a KOA thread into a negative comment regarding KOA's. The easiest resolve to your dis-like of KOA's is to simply continue to stay out of them instead of complaining about them. rolleyes.gif

Not dealing with a Rhodes Scholar here am I?? I don't know how to make it more clear.

First: The "negativity" thread was generated from an article that I found interesting and applicable. There was no advice given, expressed, or implied - simply a forum for discussion based on an article I found pertinent to the site. For the third time - I did not write it. Do you understand now that I did not write the article, but that I pasted the article into the thread?

Second: I've never stated I disliked KOA's - quite the contrary. While my experience with corporate KOA's has been negative, my experience with privately owned KOA's has been nothing less than excellent! In fact, I'll be at one tomorrow night through the weekend. Do you understand now that I like KOA's - with the exception of the ones that are corporately owned?
Seriously man, read things through!! Do you understand??

summerland
Seriously man, read things through!! Do you understand??

Seriously man...... wacko.gif
campatkoa
QUOTE(easyrider65_01 @ Sep 30 2004, 01:22 AM) *

I am relatively new to owning an RV and I was wondering if KOAs as a whole are nice or if it better to stay non-franchise cg s. I f have stayed a few KOAs and I get the feeling that KOA does not monitor the cgs that are not in the more tourist areas. I plan on doing a lot of traveling and KOA has a great website to locate a cg. I hope that my poor experiences have been the exception rather than the norm. So, as a whole are KOAs to be avoided mad.gif or enjoyed biggrin.gif ?

campatkoa
Sorry I'm new at this and have screwed up. So I think I have this right now. Anyway, My husband and I own a small KOA. I want to thank you all for the reviews we receive on this web site. I read this forum and campground reviews everyday, it's a obsession with me. I have learned so much from the good and bad. We as campground owners need your input. I want every person who chooses to stay at our place feel welcome and enjoy their camping experience with us. Again thank you.
coacbcps
QUOTE(nicki @ Jul 24 2009, 08:42 AM) *

Last summer we drove from Michigan to California and back again, making 14 CG stops over a one month period, ALL KOA's, in a rental RV. We were brand-new to rv-ing so that's why we stuck to KOA's. The website is super easy to use, and we found the campgrounds predictable in that they were for the most part clean and the hook-ups were in pretty good repair in most cases, also every one we encountered was dog friendly (we have 2) and kid friendly (also 2)(pools/playgound) and none of them were "party campgrounds." We never had a problem with noise or rowdiness. Most of the owners were very friendly and helpful. These were all very important to us because we were brand-new to camping, and doing such a long trip as our FIRST outing was a huge endeavor. Well, the trip went fabulously, we learned alot along the way, and now we have had many many more camping experiences since, in our own camper that we have since purchased. Having said all that, there IS a wide range of quality in KOA CG's. Some were glorified parking lots, while some were incredibly beautiful and fun. My favorite was the KOA in Hill City, SD near Mount Rushmore. Another one we loved was the one in Pahrump, NV. So just do your research before going to a KOA or any CG really, especially if it's intended as a "destination" and not just a stopover. Now we have branched out to try all different kinds of CG's, not just KOA's, but I do believe KOA gave us the confidence to try camping and come to love it. I stand by them 100%.

My husband and I also chose KOAs for some of the same reasons you stated. As new campers it was kind of like going to McDonalds . . . no matter what state you're in a Happy Meal consists of a meat, fries, drink and a toy. I think newbies like the predictability. We also have started branching out and trying different kinds of campgrounds but you're right, KOA gave us confidence and we absolutely LOVE kamping now! tongue.gif
Tucsonbenz
We've camped all over the US in our 45' motorcoach. We've stayed at lots of KOA's and overall this is the way we would summarize them.

1. Overpriced compared to other similar campgrounds.

2. Good to excellent Work kampers in most facilities.

3. Generally speaking KOA's tend NOT to upgrade as often as other facilities.

4. Generally speaking not 45' compatible, not enough 50 amp sites, not enough quality pull throughs, trees too short and not tended often enough.

5. Too many amenities are add-on's (i.e. Wi-fi etc).

6. More run down compared to their counterparts.

We'd love to stay at KOA's more often; unfortunately only a few meet our standards. With more and more motorhomes being 40-45 feet KOA needs to step up to meet the demand.
JDcamper
My family has stayed at 3 different KOA campgrounds. One was okay friendly, clean, indoor pool needed some work but overall good. One was a basic campground pool, clean some activities but they staff/owners a little abrupt when dealing with kids. The third was amazing and we now camp there often, worth the little extra you pay.
Hutch333id
As I sit and write this I am at the Polson, MT, KOA. This is only the third KOA I have camped at and it is by far the best. We came here after checking straight out of a private site that we refused to stay at despite making a reservation based on positive reviews. This KOA was able to accommodate us and has provided us with a stunning site overlooking the Flathead Lake. While it is not the cheapest camp ground it is the best run and maintained. The facilities here a excellecnt and the staff so very friendly. The spaces are large and well cared for which is something I cannot say was true of the other KOA's I have camped at. I would recommend this KOA to family and friends without hesitation.
chowhound
I guess it should be clear by now that KOA is not McDonald's. My experiences with KOA are similar to others who have posted on this thread through the years; some are good some are bad and most just OK. There is little consistancy from one to the other. So if you are considering staying at a KOA you should utilize all your sources (including this website) just like you would any independent or affiliated campground. Heres hoping all your surprises are pleasant ones.
Meyer Camping
QUOTE(chowhound @ Aug 12 2011, 02:15 PM) *

I guess it should be clear by now that KOA is not McDonald's. My experiences with KOA are similar to others who have posted on this thread through the years; some are good some are bad and most just OK. There is little consistancy from one to the other. So if you are considering staying at a KOA you should utilize all your sources (including this website) just like you would any independent orf affiliated campground. Heres hoping all your surprises are pleasant ones.

Chowhound, the comparison to McDonalds is excellent. We tend to look for a KOA on travel days since there is one thing that we have found we can depend on (Most Of The Time) is the long pull through sites. This way we can pull in and not unhook, a huge timesaver for me. W have a Yukon XL and pull a 31' travel trailer. This means that we need at least 55' of level ground to accommodate the rig. This is almost always worth the extra cost of the KOA. I guess what matters most is what you are looking for.

I would also point out that we stay at way many more decent to nice parks overall than dumps. I guess that using this site and the reviews to determine where we stay has worked out very well for us cool.gif
RFCN2
KOA's in my humble opinion gear towards campers with kids. The facilities can be good, bad, or in the middle. Checking with this web site helps sort that out. They also tend to be expensive. On our last six week trip that just ended the most expensive RV Park by far was a KOA. The second most expensive park was a KOA.

I do like their on line reservation system. The best one by far that I have been able to find. I also tend to find their staff almost uniformly smiling and friendly.

Desertthorn
I quit going to KOAs because if you have to cancel they will happily take you down payment and even if they rent the space you won't get your money back. It happened to me twice, one we broke down and I gave them 2 days notice, and once a full month and and they said I never called them, even when I gave them the name of the person I'd spoken to. "Oh she doesn't work here any more so your screwed. If a KOA was the last place with a space, I will park elsewhere.
jamarynn1
On the whole, I don't care for KOA's. Some KOA's we've stayed at have figured out how to do it right and I have enjoyed those places. Some of them don't have any business using the name. KOA's are often overpriced for what you get. If you're looking for peace and quiet, then KOA isn't usually the place for you. I'm a mom and a grandma several times over and I love well-behaved kids, but sometimes things just get out of control at a family-oriented park. The last KOA I was in, I went to the swimming pool once and after a solid half hour of "MARCO....POLO....MARCO....POLO...." being shrieked at the top of the kids' lungs and constant cannonballs into the pool, I concluded that I wouldn't be swimming this time around. Also, I don't like pools that allow babies in swim diapers (I don't care WHAT they call those things, but they are essentially just diapers and stuff leaks out that I don't want to swim in). There's a good reason why most hotels and cruise ships don't allow babies in swim diapers into the pools.... e coli contamination.
'Streamers
I debated to add my thoughts on this one, but decided if the posting has been here for 7 years and still getting action, I might as well chime in. We travel with our Airstream TT a lot, both for business & pleasure, often combined.

On the whole, we have been very pleased with the KOAs we have visited. Most memorable are Bismark ND - where the owner cooks up fabulous BBQ on weekends. Even the townspeople come to eat there. Sites are separated by lilac bushes; they were in full bloom in June. Gorgeous. Buena Vista Colorado - with the 14000+ foot Collegiate Range as a backdrop and the most moving 4th of July tribute I have ever witnessed. Las Vegas was another good one, for its facilities & proximity to all the action, even if it was basically a parking lot. It worked for what we wanted it to do.

Usually we just do KOAs for an overnight; 2 max. If we have been on the road and looking for a "working" campground (where we can clean house, do laundry, etc) we go to a KOA. But we know there are usually lots of kids, and they are usually close to interstates (the campground, not the kids :-) So if we want a quiet, relaxing stay - we will usually go elsewhere. But when we need a quick stop to stay for a night or two, KOA is well worth it for us.
bjazz66
When we began camping KOA was our first choice because of the bathrooms and hot shower. We used a teardrop and tent and these items were important.

We now use a motor home and have found that most KOA's are over priced and have that many private campgrounds or Walmart's..offer the same features.

Alessandro
QUOTE(bjazz66 @ Oct 24 2011, 08:44 AM) *

When we began camping KOA was our first choice because of the bathrooms and hot shower. We used a teardrop and tent and these items were important.

We now use a motor home and have found that most KOA's are over priced and have that many private campgrounds or Walmart's..offer the same features.

We know KOA's with >$ 100 sites, what is ridiculous. The KOA Las Vegas is a parking lot with FHU for $ 90! For 1/4 of this cost you can "park" one's MH on Main Street Station. KOA West Yellowstone offers luxury but the pool (covered) is crowded with screaming kids! What is "free", is the stunning mountain view. Another example: the easy to approach KOA Barstow. Very expensive, but there is simply no alternative.

Most KOA's are best for families with teenagers or smaller childern, not for eldery MH travelers, who only look for a spacy quiet site and a place to relax and don't need the showers.
browne07
After reading the comments about KOA's I think many RVers have very high standards. Before our 5th wheel my wife and I did a lot of motorcycle camping traveling the country. Our first choice would be a state park but usually stayed in a campground along the route. KOA is on average better than a lot of private places we have stayed at. I realize there are many private cgs that are fantastic but the quality runs the whole spectrum. At least with KOA you have some sort of standard. My peeve about KOA is it is usually right next to a major highway and when you sleep in a tent, it is noisy.
Texasrvers
QUOTE(browne07 @ Nov 14 2011, 12:26 PM) *

My peeve about KOA is it is usually right next to a major highway and when you sleep in a tent, it is noisy.

This is true; however, the other side of that is because KOA's are usually along major highways it is easy to get off and back on the road quickly for just an an overnight stay.
FranznHilga
I have been RVing for ten years with over 50k on the road. We started out at KOA's because we got a discount card, but after traveling for awhile we discovered that they are older, more expensive, and not as nice as the independent campgrounds that are newer, and cheaper. The best bet is to get a Passport America subscription and use that. You will have access to some 1600 campgrounds around the US (and growing) that offer a discount for various lengths of stay and time of year. Sometimes if you call them up and ask, they will honor the 50% off rate even if it is out of season. These days they don't want revenue to "drive on by!" Hope that helps!
corinnelogan
Having been full timers now for almost 7 months, I have seen the differences in the KOA's - although I will admit we haven't stayed at one in years. We still drive through from time to time to see "what we're missing" and sometimes, we're not the ones missing anything. :-)

I truly wish more people would use (actually post their own reviews) on the RVParkReview.com website...I go there EVERY TIME I look at a campground. 90% of the time, using the "average" reviews is so very helpful. BUT, I think too, that reviews are based on personal preference. We're pretty simple people so some of the extras are not nearly as important as a quiet, safe location. Still, totally run down places with wild dogs and owners who don't care certainly are rated as such and we've crossed out places we thought we were going to stay at and ended up not because of the reviews of great people - LIKE YOU! rolleyes.gif

OK, that's all from me. For now.

From Tyler, TX (for a couple days),

Corinne Logan
mikel
We've stayed at a few KOAs some are better than others, like anything else. I guess personal preference has a little to do with it as well. They are independently owned so they can hike up prices to unreasonable costs on a whim. I recently experienced it at a KOA in TX, they charged :$15.00 per child over age of 3. Lot's of them have been around for a while and what you see on their website is not exactly what you get when you arrive. Play it safe do you investigations first. This is just about the best site I've found for somewhat honest reviews.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.