Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Discussion Zone For Rv Park Owners Or Operators
RV Park Reviews Campground Discussion Forum > RV Park and Campground Discussions > RV Park Discussions
Pages: 1, 2
willranless
This is for parks that are open year-round that have problems with broken pipes when it freezes. I have used a product for the past two years that prevents pipes from bursting if they freeze. Since installing the product, I have not had any broken pipes due to cold weather. Here is the link to the product. http://www.iceloc.com/ I do not have any interest, financial or otherwise in this company. I just wanted to share it so others would know about it.
noisy
Monthly Guests

Any park owners with monthly guests - I'd be curious to know if you bill them every 30 days based on when they began their stay, or have you pro-rated them at some point and converted them all to the same billing day each month?

We're buying a small park and half the guests are monthly. Right now, they're all billed on whatever day they initially arrived, which means reading electric meters and doing billing several times each month. Seems unnecessarily complicated.
puddleduck
QUOTE(noisy @ Feb 3 2014, 06:19 PM) *

Monthly Guests

Any park owners with monthly guests - I'd be curious to know if you bill them every 30 days based on when they began their stay, or have you pro-rated them at some point and converted them all to the same billing day each month?

We're buying a small park and half the guests are monthly. Right now, they're all billed on whatever day they initially arrived, which means reading electric meters and doing billing several times each month. Seems unnecessarily complicated.

We bill our monthlies and electric once a month and just prorate late arrivals or early departures

dalsgal
We bill ours on a monthly basis depending on when they moved in. I read their meter when they park and again the day their rent is due. This way we don't have everyone coming in to pay rent at the same time. It is much easier for me that way.
Don-in-GA
We also figure our monthly due dates from the date they move in, not the first of the month. It spreads out the work load. Never had a customer complain from that method. We meter each site.
VicG
QUOTE(Just Jack @ Dec 19 2012, 12:26 PM) *

I read 90% of this tread and came across one thing that was not mentioned at all, costumer service. I own a small park, nothing fancy, but we have great costumer service and the park is clean. And we get nothing but great rating on this site. We have the highest rates among 6 other parks in the immediate area that may have more amenities but they have no customer service skills and the parks are full of full timers and a mess. If you are going to have full timers make it a mobile home park so RV'ers don't have to see the mess. Most park owners don't know the first thing about costumer service.
After several years in the hotel business in a very competitive market place and a border line product to sell we ran at 100% occupancy because of customer service and a clean property.
We RV 1/2 the year and stay in best rated parks only. Many of the parks are not fancy but I see how they get the ratings, customer service and they are clean and neat. There is no excuse for a park not being clean.
Just a comment about electric. I have calculated the cost of electric for 3 years now, as a cost per occupied space per night. It has gone from $2.97 per night to almost $4 a night. We don't meter the spaces but owner should know what it costs. The rigs get bigger with more and more things to run.
Well all for now...

As an RV owner that has spent a lot of time traveling in my RV over the past 15 years I'd have to agree with Just Jack. The thing is with today's technology and especially the smart phone it's easy than ever to find very up to date information and reviews on virtually every RV park and campground in the US and Canada.
I will going full time very soon and will rely heavily on online reviews including reviews from a couple of smart phone apps. Here's what I'll be looking for: Great customer service, Clean park and facilities, and Fast and free Wi-Fi.
SASMITH
Need input on installing power meters in our park.

We have a small park in middle Ga. which caters to extended stay(monthly) rv'ers. With the excessively harsh winter we have had, our power bill has gone through the roof. Am sure it is due partly that guests are using electric space heaters. We encourage guests to use their gas or Aqua hots systems to help keep costs down, but you know how that goes. Am thinking the only fair way to handle this is to install meters on all sites.

That being said, the questions I have are: 1) What is power cost per day or month per RV? 2) Should we reduce the standard rates and add the power used per month to each site? Or leave the rates the same and charge extra to each site that goes over a set amount of power?

Noticed that someone on this forum stated usage of around 750 watts, and another that said cost are approximately $3-$4 per day.

Any info you can share on this would be appreciated.
Thanks, Gr'Andy'
Denali
Costs vary not only by usage, but by your local utility rates, of course.

We spend the summers in Coos Bay, OR, where the electric rates are $.10-.11/kWh. We have stayed at parks in AZ that charge anywhere from $.08 to $.22/kWh. We spend part of the year at a park in California, where the rates are tiered, and we hit $.35/kWh part of each billing cycle there.

I occasionally check our electric uses in parks where there is metered power, and it varies from 25 to 60 kWh per day. We generally use our heat pumps for heat and aren't shy about using our air conditioners for cooling. We leave the electric element on the Aqua-Hot turned on all the time.

You probably know that almost no parks charge for electricity when customers pay the daily rate, and it is very common to pay for your own power when getting a weekly or monthly rate.

Hope that helps.
dalsgal
We have metered sites for permanent residents but don't charge extra for overnight guests. It would be very difficult to estimate how much power an RV uses. We have some here that have a monthly bill of $30-$40 a month and one or two that use almost $200. The size, age and type of RV makes a difference. Also, the number of people in the RV can make the costs vary. People do tend to be less wasteful of their electricity if they are paying the bill. When the owners here put in the individual meters they dropped the rate by $60 a month. Because another CG in our area charges a flat rate people tend to like it better. To be honest, with the rates they charge I don't see how they make any money in the summer. Some places we stayed gave so much free electric and then charged for anything over that amount.
pianotuna
Hi,

On a "worst case" basis a 30 amp service can burn through about 86.4 kwh per day.

A 50 amp would be worst case 288 kwh per day.

During the worst of the winter in Regina it was -37 C (-34 f). I used about 90 kwh per day.
GandJ
QUOTE(SASMITH @ Apr 7 2014, 06:09 PM) *

We have a small park in middle Ga. which caters to extended stay(monthly) rv'ers. With the excessively harsh winter we have had, our power bill has gone through the roof. Am sure it is due partly that guests are using electric space heaters. We encourage guests to use their gas or Aqua hots systems to help keep costs down, but you know how that goes. Am thinking the only fair way to handle this is to install meters on all sites.

We've stayed short-term at a park this winter that had an "electric surcharge" fee in the range of a couple dollars per day.

Maybe a monthly surcharge would be more cost-effective than installing meters.
puddleduck
QUOTE(SASMITH @ Apr 7 2014, 07:09 PM) *

That being said, the questions I have are: 1) What is power cost per day or month per RV? 2) Should we reduce the standard rates and add the power used per month to each site? Or leave the rates the same and charge extra to each site that goes over a set amount of power?

Noticed that someone on this forum stated usage of around 750 watts, and another that said cost are approximately $3-$4 per day.

Any info you can share on this would be appreciated.
Thanks, Gr'Andy'

Metered sites are a great addition for extended stay sites but I would suggest you have an electrician look at what you have. Depending on your existing peds the cost could range from minimal to very expensive. Another option might be portable meters. I've seen them used at a couple parks and seem to be a good short term solution.

hypogi
QUOTE(puddleduck @ Apr 9 2014, 10:00 AM) *

Metered sites are a great addition for extended stay sites but I would suggest you have an electrician look at what you have. Depending on your existing peds the cost could range from minimal to very expensive. Another option might be portable meters. I've seen them used at a couple parks and seem to be a good short term solution.

We have the same issue in the winter months and we have metered sites. It's really the only way to go and they are reasonably easy to install if you have pedestals that aren't 25+ years old. The meters themselves can be a little costly but it's a worthwile investment.

We only charge the current kw/h rate that our electric company charges so we aren't making any profit off of the electric (I believe it may be illegal to do so anyway). Once people realize that they are going to have to pay for all the electric they are using you'll be amazed at how much more conservative they'll become and your electric bill will drop right away.
hypogi
QUOTE(noisy @ Feb 3 2014, 07:19 PM) *

Monthly Guests

Prorate the campers and check meters once a month. It makes things less complicated. Also you should consider how you are charging a "month" we consider a month 28 days no matter what the calender says. 7 days a week x 4 weeks in a month=28 days.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.