Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Are Your Pet Peeves Rv'ing?
RV Park Reviews Campground Discussion Forum > RV Park and Campground Discussions > General Chat
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Full-Timer RV'er
I guess I am more of a live and let live type person... I mean yeah there are some things that truly annoy me, although most things I can resolve as being human idiocy....

My biggest is rude or unhelpful staff... Give me a break.. You run a "consumer" business. If you can not / will not be friendly and inviting to people who are paying you to stay in your park, please find another line of employment. I grew up in a major resort community and regardless of your "job" you were to always be helpful even on your "bad" days.....

Second - people with slide outs... you do NOT own the park.... Remember there are people "stuffed" in behind you and you taking up half their yard is not fair.... We left one park because we could not truly open our door because of the neighbor's slide outs....

Dirty Camp Site.... Come on folks you packed the trash in, pack it out... I wish I could truly count how many time we have had to go in clean up our camp site before we could let our dogs out... Sucker sticks, candy wrappers, juice bags, straws, cigarette butts etc.....
Texasrvers
OK, I can go with your first and third annoyance, but people with slide outs? Really? It is not the person's fault they were put in a site that was not big enough to accommodate their slides. What are they supposed to do? Not put their slides out? Many RV floorplans require the slides to be out in order to walk to the back of the unit. I think it is OK to be annoyed with campgrounds that have narrow sites, but not with the RVers who have simply opened their slides so that they can use their RV.
Full-Timer RV'er
Ok I will give you it is not the slide-outs fault. It's the owners of the slide outs, just like owners of "bad" dogs and kids. I can not tell you how many times I have watched a person with slide outs come into "camp". They push themselves as close as they can to the hook-ups on the back side, making sure they have enough "front" yard for their awning, chairs, slide out, etc and to be damned with the person behind them. That is my problem with slide outs. Many if not most parks were "created" long before slide outs. As such they really are not designed to fit them, although they do their best to accommodate them....
GandJ
QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Oct 7 2012, 07:37 PM) *
Many RV floorplans require the slides to be out in order to walk to the back of the unit. I think it is OK to be annoyed with campgrounds that have narrow sites, but not with the RVers who have simply opened their slides so that they can use their RV.

We met a lady last winter that had a two-door travel trailer like that. When the slide was in, she couldn't get to her bathroom or bedroom without going outside and using the back door. How inconvenient that would be in the rain or in the middle of the night if you wanted a snack from the kitchen.

When we bought our current camper, it was a decision between it and a KZ. When the salesman pulled in the slide on the KZ and we saw that we couldn't get to the back of the trailer, it was a deal breaker.

It happens more often than you'd think!

And I totally agree about placing the annoyment (is that even a word?) and blame where it belongs: With the campground!
Full-Timer RV'er
QUOTE(GandJ @ Oct 8 2012, 01:51 PM) *

When we bought our current camper, it was a decision between it and a KZ. When the salesman pulled in the slide on the KZ and we saw that we couldn't get to the back of the trailer, it was a deal breaker.

It happens more often than you'd think!

Hubby wants a newer unit with slides. I do not... I am the one that makes the on-the-raod dashes to the back.... I would really like to just modify this one to suit us better. He has a real issue with the narrow walk ways. I figure if we just did a few modifications it would be much better than purchasing a whole new one. Plus the modification would lessen the over all weight.... It would make it ours if you know what I mean....
vincee
Yes dirty campsites can be a turn off to the excitement of pulling into the campground and enjoying the lifestyle. However bad and poor it is that there ARE some slobs out there. it is the Campground that is responsible for cleaning out the site before the next camper sets up. I just left Cedar Creek C.O.E CG outside of Nashville yesterday and the maintenance guy raked the stone pads with a garden rake after he blew the leaves off with a leaf blower. Some CG's owners cheap out with enough staff to clean the sites.
RLM
My pet peeve is not having the campground all to myself so that I don't have to be concerned with pet peeves. smile.gif
Full-Timer RV'er
QUOTE(vincee @ Oct 11 2012, 07:04 PM) *

Yes dirty campsites can be a turn off to the excitement of pulling into the campground and enjoying the lifestyle. However bad and poor it is that there ARE some slobs out there. it is the Campground that is responsible for cleaning out the site before the next camper sets up. I just left Cedar Creek C.O.E CG outside of Nashville yesterday and the maintenance guy raked the stone pads with a garden rake after he blew the leaves off with a leaf blower. Some CG's owners cheap out with enough staff to clean the sites.

I agree and dis agree with your statements...

Yes, there are some slobs out there, actually there seems to be A LOT of slobs out there....

Yes, it is up to the Park Owner to upkeep the sites, it is up to the CAMPER to keep the site clean.

I am of the "pack it in / pack it out" generation. When we arrived at our new camp spot each weekend, we had a game to see who could pick up the most trash PRIOR to setting up camp. This was done again before we left.... As well as during our stay. If we went for a hike and found trash, we picked up and placed in in the trash....

What I have seen today is pure LAZINESS.... What amounts to bags of trash mere 30 feet from a trash can... Boy Scouts parking on grass areas, next to a sign that says "No Parking on the Grass".....

Pure filthy laziness is all it is.... IMO...... & That is a MAJOR Pet Peeves of mine.... If you are outside camping, for pete sakes clean up after yourself & teach your kids to do the same....
vincee
Any CG that I would have to pick up a bag of trash upon arriving at my site is not a CG that I will visit again. If staying in a hotel (I know, that's one reason we all love our RV's, we don't) and the sheets weren't changed and the bathroom was dirty, would you make up the bed yourself or clean the bathroom? I doubt anyone would. Why should campground owners get off any easier? We all should have certain expectations from businesses that we fork our hard earned money too!
pkd31780
Since this just happened to us over the weekend.....

RVers who do not turn off their outside lights and keep those next to you awake all night. Grrrrrrrrrr
GandJ
Sorry, duplicate post. My bad.
GandJ
Just when I thought we had covered every possible peeve, both pet and otherwise, up pops a new one:
BAGPIPES!

About dinnertime yesterday, someone decided we all needed to hear his bagpiping long and LOUDLY.
When he finally piped down (pun intended) one person yelled "bravo" but several others yelled variation
of "Shut the h*ll up".

Nothing against the instrument , but the blower was not all that good.

Florida Native
We used to have a real problem with one at our business. He played across the street for hours.
joez
About dinnertime yesterday, someone decided we all needed to hear his bagpiping long and LOUDLY.

LOL. I have a personality/DNA disorder, I guess, and do not like music of any kind - just never have. I can guarantee that, if there was only one musician in a campground, we would be assigned the site right next door. If there are music makers with good sounds and those who are bad, we will be parked next to the bad ones. We even had a heavy metal band parked next to us at a state park that practiced Saturday afternoon at their site before working a nearby tavern that night. We have never had a bag pipe, though.

I know this is off topic, sorry. It is really not a pet peeve. I know I am in a minority of one regarding music and it really doesn't bother me much, as long as I can escape to where it is quieter.

vincee
Well a little off topic, but since we are talking about bagpipes, DW and I had a pleasant experience one time. Surprise 50th birthday weekend for DW (a few years back LOL) and about 20 family members touring the Finger Lakes Wine Region of New York State. We were having lunch at one of the wineries, Thristy Owl, and next to us is a guy and his wife who is dis-abled. They sorta joined in to our group fun. Brother in law makes a point about DW's 50th to them and guy mentions he plays the 'pipes etc. When we leave the winery in the parking lot is our new friend in his kilt and full dress and plays Happy Birthday for my wife and about 6 or 7 additional songs. By the time he was finished there was a small crowd around my DW wishing her a very happy 50th! Priceless! tongue.gif
B. Kidd
The only bag-pipe I've ever heard in an RV park was some old lady yelling at her deaf husband.

True story......
xtreme4jc1
This one has probably been said before but here it goes. My pet peeve is having to listen to someone else's music playing on their outdoor speakers. It's ok if they keep it down to a decent level but if your three or four spaces down and I can hear it like its coming out of my speakers, that's a little much. We have been several spaces down from people who brought their own speakers to place around their campsite and then played music all day long for the whole campground to enjoy blink.gif I love camping though, even if the sound of nature is not the only things I get to hear. Oh, one more thing. It's annoying when you're neighbors friends park all over your campsite, blocking you in while they proceed to have a family reunion for half the night. Ok that's it. Happy camping everyone. Warmer weather is on its way.
GandJ
Yes, the music thing gets mentioned, well.....ALOT. Whomever was the brainchild of outdoor entertainment systems (meaning anything with speakers) should be covered in honey and buried in a Florida ant hill!
JMHO.
Fitzjohnfan
Ok, I have one more peev and it may sound like I'm kissing rear end here, but it does bug me and maybe some of you too. On the web, have you noticed the proliferation of campground and rv park review sites. The problem is these other sites many times try to tout themselves as the BEST site to go to for park info, withe the most reviews available. Yet a quick search of their database shows that it pales by comparison with this site. The really sad thing is some of them even attempt to charge people for this "invaluable" information. Some sites even copy the reviews from this site AMD call them their own. Grrr.

Thanks for letting me vent.
GandJ
Wow! I had no idea that was going on. Are you sure they are copying from
here? Some people may submit the same review to other sites, perhaps?

Have never seen a pay to view site for rv park reviews and cannot imagine
why anyone would use one.
GandJ
Dang...posted three times, it did!
GandJ
Uffdah! Sorry.
vincee
Off with a finger for GandJ I say LOL! I better be careful how loud my music is or it sounds like it'll be off with my ear you say! HaHaHa!
acampingfan
QUOTE(jnk2001 @ Aug 11 2012, 09:59 PM) *

My pet peeve?

people with a long list of pet peeves. biggrin.gif

I knew someone had to be thinking the same as I was!!!!!!
John316
This may not be too popular here, but we'll see.

I don't care for the RV'ers that don't have a clue (applies to about any vehicle). They will cruise whatever speed they want, pull out into the left lane doing 65, while speedlimit is 75, to pass someone. Then take forever to pass them (not minding the fact that some of us are cruising a very strong 75-80). The leapfroggers who can't drive a consistent speed. The really slow folks on two lane highways. Most of those folks I usually just get a kick out of.

Also the RV parks that advertise themselves as family friendly and charge 3 extra per person. They are NOT family friendly.

Sorry for the rant, but felt good....
BC Wanderer
QUOTE(John316 @ Mar 26 2013, 07:20 PM) *

This may not be too popular here, but we'll see.

I don't care for the RV'ers that don't have a clue (applies to about any vehicle). They will cruise whatever speed they want, pull out into the left lane doing 65, while speedlimit is 75, to pass someone. Then take forever to pass them (not minding the fact that some of us are cruising a very strong 75-80). The leapfroggers who can't drive a consistent speed. The really slow folks on two lane highways. Most of those folks I usually just get a kick out of.

Also the RV parks that advertise themselves as family friendly and charge 3 extra per person. They are NOT family friendly.

Sorry for the rant, but felt good....

I have the same loath for "left lane loafers". The left lane is a passing lane not a travelling lane. So many people just move over and stay. It is against the law in many provinces and states. I just wish it was enforced.

Darrell
Florida Native
And they still have on their left turn blinker from yesterday.
vincee
IMO its the advent of cruise control on almost every vehicle out there now. People set theirs at the speed they think is perfect and are impervious to the rest of the world around them.
Tom
QUOTE(vincee @ Mar 27 2013, 07:46 AM) *

IMO its the advent of cruise control on almost every vehicle out there now. People set theirs at the speed they think is perfect and are impervious to the rest of the world around them.

I wish they would use the cruise control!! Every time I'm on the highway there are the people who speed up to 70mph, then slowly drop down to 55mph... then speed up to 70mph. If they actually used cruise control highway travel would be much better.

Of course, the reason they are going slow and fast is because they are on the cell phone...
wpr
Lindsay Richards:

Then there's the other type who never uses the blinker, after all, they know where they're going....
mdcamping
I go usually between 62 to 67 mph, I love seeing the TT's flying past me probably over 75+ with the their trailers fish tailing..... blink.gif

Mike
Bearcat
Campers who wake me up when they get up around 6:00am by triggering their car alarms. Why does it take so long for this person to shut off the alarm on a vehicle they owned for years

It"s not like ( nice campgrounds ) have major auto theft /chop shop problems.

Flip side: Same MH , a 4x4 truck pulls up, beeps horn. (8:00am).

Must be perm residents working in the area.
John316
QUOTE(mdcamping @ Mar 27 2013, 05:19 PM) *

I go usually between 62 to 67 mph, I love seeing the TT's flying past me probably over 75+ with the their trailers fish tailing..... blink.gif

Mike

I agree on the TT, Mike. However, we are the largest MH (height, length and almost on the weight) that is legal on the roads. We pin at least the speed limit (unless we have high winds), and my fav is 75+. I enjoy the ride lol biggrin.gif
mdcamping
QUOTE(John316 @ Mar 31 2013, 01:51 AM) *

I agree on the TT, Mike. However, we are the largest MH (height, length and almost on the weight) that is legal on the roads. We pin at least the speed limit (unless we have high winds), and my fav is 75+. I enjoy the ride lol biggrin.gif

John316, Hope I didn't offend you...In the Northeast the highways are not long and straight and often congested. Seen a lot of the TT's not driving safely. smile.gif

Mike
John316
Not at all, Mike. I agree. The NE is different. We just came from out west so that is what I was thinking of. Of course there aren't many places out East that we can't run the limit, but it does all depend on the road.

Cheers.

John
Florida Native
We rarely go much over 60. Not in any hurry and the fuel milage is much better.
docj

QUOTE(John316 @ Mar 31 2013, 01:51 AM) *

You may be the exception but IMHO the majority of MH's that go past at speeds that high are clearly not in good control of their vehicles.

Today on I-40 in AZ and NM the vast majority of the 18-wheelers were keeping pace with me at ~65 with a few running in the 65-70 range despite a posted speed limit of 75 and no winds. Most drivers of heavy vehicles know that they are not designed for speeds much higher than that.

I know I can't change your mind, but do me the favor of letting me know where you are traveling so I can make sure to stay off the road and out of your way.

And before you accuse me of being a white-knuckled, gray-haired old fart, I'll let you know that I have a Class B CDL and believe that my remarks are consistent with everything I know about driving heavy vehicles.
nedmtnman
62 MPH is where I get the best fuel mileage so that's where I drive pulling the 5er.

One of my peeves is and there really isn't much that can be done about it people pulling up to the only diesel pump on the auto island and blocking both sides of the pump getting gasoline while I sit and wait to get diesel.
John316
QUOTE(docj @ Mar 31 2013, 09:44 PM) *

You may be the exception but IMHO the majority of MH's that go past at speeds that high are clearly not in good control of their vehicles.

I know I can't change your mind, but do me the favor of letting me know where you are traveling so I can make sure to stay off the road and out of your way.

And before you accuse me of being a white-knuckled, gray-haired old fart, I'll let you know that I have a Class B CDL and believe that my remarks are consistent with everything I know about driving heavy vehicles.

Hiya DocJ. Glad to hear from you. I do agree with you that most MH that we pass should be going that 60 range, or whatever they feel comfortable with. But, my original comments came from folks doing that in the left lane. The reality is if you are retired and have plenty of time, do whatever makes you happy.

Oh yes, and I do have a current Class B with endorsements, med card, etc, and I drive commercially too.

We just came from that area on I40 making a run for home, a few days ago. Always enjoy it down there. Hammer down and running. You are right, most of the trucks are rolling about 70 for fuel economy. We average about 8mpg at 75. Not too bad for what we weigh.

And no, I do not intend to turn this into a shouting match. Just having fun. To each his own, and if you don't have a schedule, no reason not to slow down in the right lane. We usually have a pretty intense schedule so we roll when we can, unless weather is bad (includes wind).

Cheers
docj
John--

You might have been the older Prevost that passed me on I-40 on Easter Sunday. If so, you were definitely under control. Not at all like the rental MH's that often fly by during the summer. Many of them are sporting a lethal combination of drivers from other countries driving large vehicles in an unfamiliar environment. Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

Joel
edcornflake
QUOTE(nedmtnman @ Apr 1 2013, 11:33 AM) *

62 MPH is where I get the best fuel mileage so that's where I drive pulling the 5er.

What are you running Ned? I haven't figured out my optimum when pulling, but I have a 2012 F350 with the 6.7 l turbo diesel - I feel like she's the most comfortable in that 65-70 range (pulling about 11k pounds of 5er).
thetravelkids
My biggest complaint, without doubt, is diesel owners who idle their engines incessantly, especially at 6:00 a.m. Certainly, most diesel owners are considerate... thank you... but it happens far to often as some diesel owners think it's good, even necessary, to let their engines idle for twenty or thirty minutes after start-up. mad.gif
nedmtnman
QUOTE(edcornflake @ Apr 2 2013, 10:19 AM) *

What are you running Ned? I haven't figured out my optimum when pulling, but I have a 2012 F350 with the 6.7 l turbo diesel - I feel like she's the most comfortable in that 65-70 range (pulling about 11k pounds of 5er).

I have a 2003 F-350 with the 6 liter diesel.
mhmama
Most of the pet peeves listed are also mine but I have one that really can be irritating. Driving into a Rest Area late at night, exhausted and see one spot left in the area for truckers/RVers and find a car parked there. Plenty of room in the car area but they park in our area
Florida Native
If you have a ScanGuage, you can zero in exactly what your sweet spot is for fuel economy. For me (8.1L) big difference between 60 and 65. I am not in a hurry anyway most of the time.
HappiestCamper
QUOTE(mhmama @ Apr 19 2013, 05:56 PM) *

Most of the pet peeves listed are also mine but I have one that really can be irritating. Driving into a Rest Area late at night, exhausted and see one spot left in the area for truckers/RVers and find a car parked there. Plenty of room in the car area but they park in our area

X2
docj
My pet peeve are CG owners who are so concerned about their precious grass or plantings that they place physically hazardous objects at the exit points of campsites and along the roads of their CG's. I'm talking about things like large boulders or metal fence posts. It's one thing to be concerned about careless RV drivers who don't bother to stay on roads but it's totally another to make the penalty for getting a wheel on grass be serious damage to a customer's RV.

We were just at such a CG where a steel fence post was placed at the exact spot where my site's pad joined the CG's interior road. The CG's roads are exceptionally narrow compared with most other parks and I worried all night about my ability to make the turn to get out of my pull-through without damaging my MH. I had my wife standing by the post as I tried to pull out, but because of RVs in the spaces ahead of me across the road there was no way for my MH to pull far enough out to make the turn without hitting the post. I couldn't back up and correct my angle because of a tree close to the left side of my coach.

I "solved" the problem by bending the post down so it wouldn't ruin the side of my MH at which point the post snapped and broke off. Since steel T-posts don't normally break that easily, I suspect this is not the first time a departing RVer has bent it in order to get out! Honestly, I didn't care about damaging the CG's post; the damage to my MH could have been a lot worse.

IMHO this CG has no business labeling itself as "big rig friendly"!
BC Wanderer
QUOTE(docj @ Apr 22 2013, 06:15 PM) *

My pet peeve are CG owners who are so concerned about their precious grass or plantings that they place physically hazardous objects at the exit points of campsites and along the roads of their CG's. I'm talking about things like large boulders or metal fence posts. It's one thing to be concerned about careless RV drivers who don't bother to stay on roads but it's totally another to make the penalty for getting a wheel on grass be serious damage to a customer's RV.

IMHO this CG has no business labeling itself as "big rig friendly"!

I agree. I stayed at one in Wilsonville Oregon that sounds suspiciously similar to your description. I didn't have a problem getting out as our rig is quite short but we came close. I'm glad you were able to snap the post. Paintwork is expensive to repair.

Darrell
Florida Native
Terminology is a moving target in the RV business. Resort is a really abused term too. Since when is a parking lot a resort.
docj
QUOTE(JDOLLEN @ Apr 23 2013, 09:31 AM) *

I agree. I stayed at one in Wilsonville Oregon that sounds suspiciously similar to your description. I didn't have a problem getting out as our rig is quite short but we came close. I'm glad you were able to snap the post. Paintwork is expensive to repair.

Darrell

I think it is amazing that you would recognize this CG as the one we were at! laugh.gif

We did stay at a KOA in Flagstaff that used boulders for the same purpose, but the one in Wilsonville was the one with the steel posts.

Did you also notice that no one had a single thing outside their RVs? I recognize the weather is still cool in OR but there wasn't a single chair visible outside near any RV. Personally, I found it a bit spooky, in a Stepford Wives way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.