Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shortage Of Rv People On Road
RV Park Reviews Campground Discussion Forum > RV Park and Campground Discussions > General Chat
Pages: 1, 2
John Blue
We have completed a 3500 mile trip in ten states and find a shortage of RV people on the roads. At the Flying-J truck fuel pits we could see no lines in RV fuel pits, places to eat are empty, and rest stops only have trucks and cars. One park in PA had one unit in place out of 53 sites, in WV park had 60 plus sites and as we pulled out one unit was in park and they planned to move out in hour or so. In MD state park office gave me a map and told me to find site you like. This park had 200 plus sites and we found six units, tents and all. KY Horse Park has 260 sites, on weekend park was 80% full but on Sunday by noon only around 20 units in park. We found the same thing every place we went and we moved every two to four days. Wal-Mart lots were also empty of RV units day and night.

We think the high fuel prices have run most RV people off the road. It added around $300 to $400 to our trip for diesel fuel. I do not think anyone will have a problem with full parks this summer. Have other RV people who travel full time found the same thing?
Cheryl
It's still early, most schools just let out for the summer. We haven't had ours out yet and it's not because of the fuel prices. Not all of us are as lucky as you and get to be retired - we still have to work wacko.gif . I do know that the Myrtle Beach parks are mostly booked full for the entire summer.
Beastdriver
Fuel prices are definitely having a negative impact on the RV industry no matter what the self-serving RV magazines and industry tell us. We have observed several parks that are half full when, last year at this time, they were full. Right now, we are at a super nice park in Coeur d'Alene. Last year, you could not get in. As I sit here and look out at the park (and it is a weekend!) at least 75% of the spaces are empty. Those who say that the industry is not being hurt are just whistling in the dark. Hopefully, fuel prices will begin to come down and we can see a turnaround.
Cheryl
John,
Can I ask what your average price per gallon for diesel was?
olszinner
smile.gif
Life is good.....all those empty spaces. Time to go is now before gas prices fall.
John Blue
Cheryl,

The diesel fuel prices are below.

4/8 2.66 in FL
4/10 2.60 in GA
4/23 2.78 in TN
5/8 2.74 in KY
5/12 2.95 in PA
5/21 2.68 in VA
5/30 2.82 in GA

We have a 150 gal tank and the hills do not help our mileage. We run around 8.5 to 9 MPG on this trip.
Butch
We have been out three times, two in May and one in June. Of course as Cheryl had stated, "school is not out". Two of the campgrounds we have used, were not full, in fact weren't even half full. The weather has been cool and rainy, and the price of fuel is HIGH ! Gasoline is running at $2.85-$2.91, but found a Hess @ $2.77 yesterday, (June 4th) so we filled up. Diesel is running at the 3 dollar level, and these prices are in the upstate region of New York State. We went to Pownal/Bennington Vermont area for Memorial Day weekend, fuel was cheaper there than it was in New York, and the Vermont campground was full, and all were from out of state. We have changed our itineraries and we are using campgrounds closer to home.
slick60
Come South Brother smile.gif
The Memoral Day weekend had campgrounds full. I was in Nashville the week after and the parks on Music Valley were 80-90% full. Gas prices are ridiculous. I saw 25 cent spreads in 20 miles. We the consumer are getting the shaft. However, if you bought a camper or RV for the gas mileage you made a bad decision. Just go and have fun....no price for good times. cool.gif biggrin.gif
Meterman46
It maybe true in different parts of the country but where we live there isn't a shortage of RVer's traveling by our home town North and South We live right off of I-57 in IL. As for gas price we had been enjoying $2.76/ gas $2.80 desiel and now it has gone up to $2.86/gas and $2.90 for desiel. It won't affect my travels as i already have been out a couple of times and will be going TN at the end of the month. I can only speak for us but spending time in the wilderness with my family is why I bought a travel trailer and It beat going to a hotel smile.gif Happy Trails to all..... smile.gif
Cheryl
Thanks John,
It always helps to have an idea of prices before leaving.
Vagabond
Can you guys ship some of that diesel out west? Prices are 3 .049 in AZ and 3.299 here in Utah. Parks are definitely not as full as last year.

QUOTE(Cheryl @ Jun 5 2006, 06:28 PM) *

Thanks John,
It always helps to have an idea of prices before leaving.
denbroncs
No shortage of RV's in the Ohio area. Camps that I've been to seem busy - and I-70 is jammed (as usual) in both directions with RV's.
First hybrid06
I live in the Phoenix area and going for our first "major' trip with our HTT.

Been to the race and the lake but driving to Tucson next week.

Gas prices today for reg was $2.89( sorry didn't see diesel) at local places.

I have a rewards ticket for a local gas station for 6 cents off a gallon. You bet I will use it in my Suburban next week!! smile.gif

I know ,for us, the prices have stopped us from traveling this summer. Was going to New Mexico next week (instead of tucson) but driving "up the hill" here would have used ALOT!!!!!.

We need to plan for long distance trips now, just fo rthe gas
Homer
I just returned from a short trip through N/W Ohio and Indiana. There were very few RV's out on the road. The campgrounds were empty, literally, all during the week days, where normally they would be at least 80% full. The week end brought out many young families with their children. I noticed most were from with in 25 miles of the campground. I also noticed hardly any one was driving around as usual, they let their toads and trucks sit the whole time they were at the campground. So there are changes going on, how long it last is any ones guess. I know I am going shorter distances and staying in one place longer than I did before. My reason is, I simply do not want to participate in the gouging any more than is absolutely necessary. wink.gif
OldSoldier
Mohave Desert and Southern Cal are 3.17 for 87 octane gas, and 3.29-3.3.39 for diesel

Good luck all, am on a business trip and mamma is preping the 5'er for departure 24 hours after my return.

smile.gif
jojolima
We were campground hosts the past week at a very nice park in NW Ohio. The park was nearly empty early in the week. By the weekend the facility was completely filled. Most of the campers were local who did not want to spend money on fuel. One unit was visiting their son and drove about 100 miles. There was only one unit that was on the road (full timer).

There is not a doubt in my mine that the fuel costs will limit longer trips. It probably will increase local use of the facilities. The typical trips to vacation destinations will suffer.

Local gasoline prices increased $.29 cents yesterday.
Nolan
No storage of RVers around the Gunnison, CO. area. Out on Highway 50, see them going by all the time. Wife and I are workamping at Gunnison Lakeside RV Resort, it's been full every weekend so far. Lots of guys and gals getting out on their boats and going fishing at Blue Mesa too. Mostly from CO. But have had people from AZ. TX. IL.

Diesel in Gunnison is $3.30 a gallon. Regular unleaded is $2.99. Premium is $3.07
Lynnwagoner
QUOTE(OldSoldier @ Jun 12 2006, 08:39 PM) *

Mohave Desert and Southern Cal are 3.17 for 87 octane gas, and 3.29-3.3.39 for diesel

Good luck all, am on a business trip and mamma is preping the 5'er for departure 24 hours after my return.

smile.gif
compokel
Where oh where is diesel under $3.00?! I generally go cross country at this time of year but I've only made it half way up the state of CA where I've paid $3.12 - $3.25! Got to sit & recoup! But despite the high cost of fuel here in the west, I still see a lot of us on the road. The campground isn't full but it's 110 degrees & ugly as can be.

Keep rollin'!
Meterman46
compokel

diesel is running $2.88 a gallon here in the midwest and gas is now $2.94 a gallon have a safe trip

;quote name='Lynnwagoner' date='Jun 17 2006, 07:47 PM' post='4416'] [quote name='OldSoldier' post='4375' date='Jun 12 2006, 08:39 PM']

smile.gif
[/quote]
[/quote]
ecker
I've gone from Hilton Head SC to Park City, UT in last 30 days. I do this trip each year. I don't see a dramatic change in park occupancy for this time of year. Several parks were full (Independence, MO and Park City, UT) while others were at reasonable levels. I have made advance reservations in places like Cody, WY and found that they are nearly full. I got last available spot in Cody and made reservation 45 days ago for mid-August. It will be interesting to see how the rest of summer works out. I'm going from here to MT then to WY to CO and on back to IN and then down to SC by mid-October. I'll get a good view of business.

As to fuel prices, they aren't going to go lower by much if at all. We've had it good for decades and will have to adjust. I recently planned a trip to UK and found fuel at $8.00/gallon in some spots. If one browses an RV web site like the rvforum.net you will see a number of UK folks buying and using RV's in US and then shipping back to UK for use. They are amused at our angst at "high" fuel prices. The price of fuel is really a minor cost of ownership when put up against annual depreciation, maintenance and financing charges. The pain will vary of course.
Homer
QUOTE(ecker @ Jun 30 2006, 09:58 PM) *

I've gone from Hilton Head SC to Park City, UT in last 30 days. I do this trip each year. I don't see a dramatic change in park occupancy for this time of year. Several parks were full (Independence, MO and Park City, UT) while others were at reasonable levels. I have made advance reservations in places like Cody, WY and found that they are nearly full. I got last available spot in Cody and made reservation 45 days ago for mid-August. It will be interesting to see how the rest of summer works out. I'm going from here to MT then to WY to CO and on back to IN and then down to SC by mid-October. I'll get a good view of business.

As to fuel prices, they aren't going to go lower by much if at all. We've had it good for decades and will have to adjust. I recently planned a trip to UK and found fuel at $8.00/gallon in some spots. If one browses an RV web site like the rvforum.net you will see a number of UK folks buying and using RV's in US and then shipping back to UK for use. They are amused at our angst at "high" fuel prices. The price of fuel is really a minor cost of ownership when put up against annual depreciation, maintenance and financing charges. The pain will vary of course.

One must keep in mind that fuel prices in many foreign countries includes much of the cost of their health care programs, and other social programs available to every citizen. Here you get a gallon of gasoline and road repair.
Big Ben
Evidently not bothering the folks out west. We are in Circleville Utah and the 3 RV parks in this area are having their best year since 9/11.
Cheryl Fuller
I haven't noticed any shortage this trip out. We stayed at the Virginian in Jackson Hole. Thank God, we had reservations. The guy running it said they are booked solid all the way thru the end of August. We were there 3 nights and there was not an empty site any of them. We are now at the Grizzly in Yellowstone. We originally booked for 4 nights and then yesterday, hubby decided he wanted to stay another 3. When we inquired at the office, they said they had no vacanies available. Luckily, while we were going thru Yellowstone, they called and said they had just had a cancellation and so we now are able to stay. Rv's were certainly plentiful on the road also.
Sunflyer
Early June is simply not a reliable time to judge summer travel statistics. You may find that folks will now turn their attention to closer recreation areas. I suspect that the major tourist areas such as Yellowstone will still be busy as people tend to budget those trips and take gas into consideration.

Won't know until it's over, but our experience right now is that little has changed with the exception of us fulltimers who are moving less often and for shorter distances to manage our monthly budgets.
ecker
QUOTE(Homer @ Jul 1 2006, 05:10 AM) *

QUOTE(ecker @ Jun 30 2006, 09:58 PM) *

One must keep in mind that fuel prices in many foreign countries includes much of the cost of their health care programs, and other social programs available to every citizen. Here you get a gallon of gasoline and road repair.

First, it doesn't matter where the money goes,one is still faced with cost per mile when driving. Second, our fuel prices include large amounts of taxes for both federal and state and in some cases cities. The money seldom ends up in roads at the end of the day.
ecker
This is reported prices to Federal DOT EIA

Weekly Retail On-Highway Diesel Prices

Dollars per gallon, including all taxes

Change from Change from
6/12/2006 6/19/2006 6/26/2006 week ago year ago

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

U.S. 2.918 2.915 2.867 -0.048 0.531
East Coast 2.909 2.907 2.864 -0.043 0.496
New England 2.979 2.960 2.952 -0.008 0.476
Central Atlantic 2.997 2.990 2.956 -0.034 0.495
Lower Atlantic 2.866 2.867 2.816 -0.051 0.498
Midwest 2.874 2.873 2.819 -0.054 0.505
Gulf Coast 2.848 2.859 2.822 -0.037 0.534
Rocky Mountain 3.041 3.018 2.960 -0.058 0.672
West Coast 3.149 3.117 3.068 -0.049 0.635

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

California 3.217 3.185 3.140 -0.045 0.618
scoutmom
We just got back from a week-long camping trip and the park was completely full! They turned away several people who showed up looking for a spot.

We met quite a few first-timers who were tent camping rather than staying in a hotel.

Scoutmom
Butch
Just returned home from the 42nd Holiday Rambler International Rally at Fryeburg Maine. The Fryeburg Fairgrounds was the site of the rally and 740 rv units from the USA and Canada were in attendance, many from great distances. On the return trip to our home we stay two nights in Vermont at "Pine Valley" campground on route 4, and was not full but close to it. The number of other brands, other than Holiday Rambler, on the road was not in the numbers we have seen in the past. Fuel prices seem to limit the numbers traveling long distances but most are still camping and are staying closer to home. We have found a local campground, 38 miles from home, and have been using it on weekends. In the past we used a campground at Wilmington/Lake Placid at 125 miles oneway for weekends, but now is to costly for just a weekend. Fuel prices were from $ 2.77 to $ 2.95 per gallon on the return home. Hope all have a good summer Rv season-safe travels.
aMazin
We just finished 2 trips. One was over 1100 miles and the other was about 800 miles. Both trips we saw lots of RV's on the road. I don't think the gas prices are stopping a lot of people from getting out there. Maybe they are taking shorter trips though.
Cheryl Fuller
Not sure of the cost of diesel, but unleaded went to 3.08 here in Denver today. We have a trip to Oklahoma coming up at the end of the month and our (grown) kids want to take the motorhome so they will be more comfortable. Normally we take our SUV, which doesn't get that great of mileage either, but the 16 mpg it gets sure beats the 6 the rv gets. We will have to think about this one!!!! We will stay at the in-laws ranch so won't need it for sleeping, and it is a one day trip, so not sure they need to be that comfortable.
blomquir
I agree with a lot of you in regard to folks just camping closer to home. The other thing I see is folks deciding to stay a day or so longer to maximize on the cost of getting there.

The other perspective I have is from the "toyhauler crowd". Most of the folks in my chunk of the RV populace have made a huge financial committment in toys for their #1 hobby i.e. motorsports (off-roading, sand duning, various forms racing). RVs are but another huge expense added to their hobby to make it even better, albeit RVing is a form of recreation all to itself, it's still an adjunct to the other prime activity.

How that's germaine to this discussion is this group of people would about rather give up about everything else to be able to pay for gas to get out in the RV and do their favorite hobbies. To them, the price of fuel is more of an irritant than a show stopper. I see more and more folks out at the popular areas I frequent all the time. I keep wishing some of them would give it up biggrin.gif but it's been the opposite so far. The 1 thing you can't say about this RV segment is the average Joe will use his stuff rather than let it sit beside the house 360 days a year.
High Roller
Completed a 24 day trip on 5 August to Yellowstone, Tetons (Jackson Hole, Wy), Mt. Rushmore, Badlands, Oshkoch, WI & Lake St. Louis, MO. Thought the fuel prices would thin the crowds---- boy was I wrong! The RV parks were full by 4-5 PM in the popular places such as Jackson Hole & Mt. Rushmore. If your going to these places---make reservations. Many, many RV's on the highways & byways.

Diesel prices ranged from a low of $2.799 (Mobile station in Wentzville, MO) to a high of $3.249.

This 5,230 mile trip required 688 gallons of diesel.
scoutmom
I wonder if people are storing their RVs at a place they visit most? We just got back from a trip to the beach and one of the employees told us that they've had an increase in on-site storage. This place charges $500 per year and offers free towing to the campsite with at least 48 hours notice.
Homer
Scoutmom: I think you have hit on one thing that is going on, and that is the storage of these RV's for the seasonal campers particularly. It is happening big time down in Florida and I am sure it is happening elsewhere. Our winter resort is awash in stored campers of all descriptions, they are setting on site even, as the storage facility is full. As long as you are not using it, the c/g is giving a storage rate to leave it there during the summer. Of course there are limitations on the total number of sites they can tie up this way, but it is way more than it used to be.
John Blue
One more update from FL. No one down here! This state is empty of RV people. I pass by Lazy Days and Flying -J all the time outside Tampa. The lots at Lazy Days are dead and the J's fuel pumps only has cars and some local pickups. We were at Core park outside Ft. Myers numbers of weeks ago, only couple class A's in park. People who run park said it has been very slow over past number of months. On I-75 & I-4 we see no RV's. It has been that way couple months now. We have a number of parks east of Lazy Days and all are empty. I know it is very hot down here but last year this place was full of RV units. I guess from what I read in post that everyone is north of here this year. Snow birds will fly back down soon!
aMazin
QUOTE(John Blue @ Aug 14 2006, 10:42 PM) *

I know it is very hot down here... Snow birds will fly back down soon!

There's your key right there. I'm not retired or a snow bird but I have no desire to visit Florida in the summer (I did it once, it was way to hot).

We've been in the U.P. of Michigan a couple of times this summer and there are a lot of RV'ers traveling up that way.
Beastdriver
Amazin: Believe me, while it is hot in Florida this time of the year, the heat has little to do with the significant dropoff in RVers on the road. We are now in the sixth month of a road trip and, believe me, fuel prices are having a dramatic impact on RV park occupancy. We see the same thing everywhere we do--parks that are normally heavily occupied all week long are now, for the most part, seeing heavy vacancies during the week, but are filling up again on the weekends. What seems to be happening is that most parks that formerly enjoyed heavy "pass through" travel during the week are not not enjoying that traffic but, rather, only fill up on weekends with people from a nearby radius of 50 miles or less. In short, people are simply not driving their RVs long distances but are staying at local parks in many cases. We are currently in the UP of Michigan and have seen several parks that, during the week, are ghost towns but, on the weekends, are doing okay. I have talked with several park owners who say their mid-week business is down 50 to 75 percent, but weekend business is still holding up.
Browzin
Beastdriver
What seems to be happening is that most parks that formerly enjoyed heavy "pass through" travel during the week are not not enjoying that traffic but, rather, only fill up on weekends with people from a nearby radius of 50 miles or less.

I wish that was true in the western states, we have been on the road since the first of June traveling through, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Wy., Montana, Idaho, Washington and heading to Oregon tomorrow. We have found full camp grounds all the way. Campground operators are all telling us that they are having 90% or better during the week and the weekends are 100%. This is the first year taking a trip that we have had to make reservations for a campsite in the middle of the week.
Big Ben
We have been hanging out in Utah again this summer and the several parks that we have stayed at are having a good year.
Butch
Here in the Northeast, (New York, & Vermont), the campgrounds are either full or close to full on weekends, but the middle of the week the numbers are just not there. Because of the price of fuel, gas @ $3.01 today 8/18/06, has put a cramp on the longer trips to Rv campgrounds. In the past ten years We had used a campground in the Lake Placid area, but a four day outing would cost us, 100+ for fuel and 150.+ for the campsite in 2005. For 2006, we cancelled our standing reservations- to expensive. We have been planning our annual vacation trip to the state of Maine in the month of September. Should prove interesting as to the cost of fuel, although the price, locally, has started down in the last few days. We will limit our motor home travels to four or five days for the 24 day trip. Last year our trip to Maine, with the high fuel prices, cost us $ 515.00 for the September fuel bill. That was for seven traveling days. We think the Rving public is traveling, but are using campgrounds closer to home, so are not on the road for the longer traveling times. We personally have two campgrounds within forty miles of home and use them to get away for a weekend. Our travel times are just about an hour, and the outing cost is about 90+ dollars for a weekend.
Rick&maribethinMS
The thing to keep in mind, especially in the Southeast, is that many of these folks lost their homes to the rash of hurricanes over the past few years. Alabama & Florida got hit really hard in 2004; Mississippi and Louisiana in 2005. For many of these folks, living in a "crappy" RV is all they have to keep them off the streets.

Have a little compassion. It could be you next year.

Edit: Sorry, I posted this to the topic about "Have RV parks become havens for the less fortunate?" and somehow it posted on this topic.
jmo
I can confirm beach campgrounds in Myrtle Beach are full. We just returned from 18 nights and was a great break.
Cheryl
Really? We were just at Myrtle Beach for a week the end of July. While there were still crowds, everywhere you went, the campground had several empty sites most of the time we were there.
donnagrein
I know that we are staying closer to home because of high fuel prices. We are cancelling a long-distance trip and decided to stay closer to home this fall and go on more long weekend trips to nearby state parks. We just got back from CO and figured that it cost roughly 40 cents per mile to drive our F350 diesel pulling our 35-foot Excel fifth wheel.

The private campgrounds in southwest Colorado are filled but many of the campers in private campgrounds are repeat customers and stay at an RV park for the whole summer. Our closest COE campground to us in New Mexico has seen a very busy season - more than usual - filled by campers from the surrounding area. It just now thinning out due to the start of the school year.

I do think the national park campgrounds are probably filled as usual but I know that fuel prices are prohibiting many from taking crosscountry trips or trips that are more than 500 miles one way.

My two cents.
rolleyes.gif
Beastdriver
We are staying at one of the most popular RV Parks in Michigan. We stayed here last year on the exact same dates. Last year, it was difficult to find an empty space during the week. This year, the place is half empty except on weekends. People are definitely curtailing their travel, probably due to fuel costs. Diesel here is $3.20 per gallon,
boater
we just finished a 1000 mile round trip today. there didnt seem to be a shortae of rv people on the road . the campgrounds most places were about 1/2 full during the week and about 80 % on the weekends. also found a lot of the campgrounds had a fairly large number of sorted rvs and what looked like seasonal users. rqn into some people from upstate new york in western nc so at least they and we were traveling. big surprise gasoline prices were low ofd 2.60 per gal and high of 2.78 per gal. seem to be that way generally on the inerstate and in some spots in towns in others it was higher(didnt buy there)
mastercraft
We haven't noticed a big change in the number of people on the road this summer, but we are mainly weekend warriors with one big trip a year. The local parks have been full every time we have gone. We did not notice a shortage of people on our big trip this summer to Myrtle Beach the 2nd week of July. The campground we stayed at was full everyday for 10 days. We checked out a couple of the other BIG parks and they seemed full also. Most of our neighbors at Myrtle Beach were from the northeast or Canada. Our philosophy is that if we can't afford the gas, then we should sell it. So far the gas prices have not affected our travel plans.
stonybirch
We normally do not use our RV a great deal during summer. But next to our cabin 30 miles south of the Canadian border, there is a beautiful State Park that recently opened--along with two new/or remodeled RV Parks in the very tiny resort town. Owners had hoped for a super fishing season (May--Sept), but the RV parks are almost empty and State Park is probably 50% full. The number of boaters, too is down. Although we have seen many RVers on the road. We checked the national park in that area, it too was down to 50% on the weekends. We recently drove to MI and could not believe the number of RVers on the road! Gas was $3.19/gal for unleaded reg. Just took a dip down to 2.85 as of yesterday! in this area. The cost is fuel is indeed a cost of RV/camping, but those of us on a fixed income are really feeling the pinch!!

We purchased a tow dolly recently to help with the 'running around' expenses while spending the winters in TX and NM. We'll tow a Lumina that gets 30mpg! We had a smaller unit previously with good mpg, and now have a bigger rig. We plan on cutting corners in other areas to help off set the fuel costs. Probably do more booddocking and staying put longer. The cost of fuel does not seem to affect the ATVs, boats, snowmobilers in this area!
OldSoldier
I have been on the road since 2 SEP and the roads are crawling with RVs. In a single 1-hour period, on I5 in California my wife counted over 100 RVs of various configurations coming south while we were headed north.

As an aside, we found nearly all Oregon State Parks "full-to-the-gills" and couldn't find a slot for more than one day at a time. In the otherhand, we had a fairly open selection of provate CGs available.

Since we have been on the road the price of both gas and diesel have gone down quite a bit.

biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.