Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Worst Driving Experiences
RV Park Reviews Campground Discussion Forum > RV Park and Campground Discussions > General Chat
Pages: 1, 2
Answer the poll!

If anything else weird happend on you vacation tell it to us. cool.gif
John Blue
Never had any problems on the list. Never had any problems that we could not fix in couple days. We stop at next shop and fix most problems in short time. Fuel filters (diesel) plugged up in TX, replaced in four hours. Water heater would not light off in TX, I replaced PC board next day and no more problems from that. Do the PM's at home and save the time on road side repair. Check everything couple times before you travel.
My worst was taking a wrong turn. Ended up at a dead end with a toad on the back of a 34 ft coach. The dead end was not a turn around, instead it was in someones private drive. No place to turn her around, unhooked the toad, and backed the coach up until I could turn it around. The turn I should have made was a block farther down the street. No street signs anywhere.
More Information about my mistakes.

Most of the poll questions came from them.

We used to have a pop up camper... We were going out west through the U.P of Michigan. We got 2 flat tires (different places) along the way. We had to stay while they fixed the problem in Escanaba. We found out what was causing the problem was a bent tire axle. They ordered the part and it took 2 days until we were ready to go again. Later it happened again (tire blown) after the first two we stocked our car with 2 spare tires. After we fixed it we camped somewhere. We found out the tire that blew, blew a massive hole through the floor of our camper laugh.gif This trip was crazy. Later we sold it and hope the unexpected person we sold it to doesn't have the same problems we had. The only thing that has not happened to us that is in the poll is an accident (hope to never have this happen), ran out of gas, and driving in the wrong direction for an hour, might I add we might have went a little ways. Oh and I forgot we were on a freeway to Florida when the freeway was closed. We sat there for 4 hours (not moving). Then we couldn't get our car started because we used up the batteries. We used our little handy dandy car starter thing and it worked. A cop luckily let us back on the road because we most likely would have to had waited for the traffic to go by. Yes road experiences have been hectic for us. I think nothing worse could happen now (knock on wood) laugh.gif cool.gif
Cheryl Fuller
We've been lucky - never had any of those things happen. Did have a part go out on the frisge when in Vegas but went to Camping World, got another one and hubby had it fixed in less than an hr.
On our last camper, we blew tires every other summer.
Well, let's see.... there was the trip that turned us from tent campers to rv campers. We actually got to and from our destination with no problems, but got caught in THE worse thunderstorm ever. We had to take refuge in the bathrooms (glad they were clean!) When it was over, the tent was actually still standing, but everything inside was floating!

Then, there was the trip home from St Augustine - which should have taken us only a couple of hours, but with all the trouble we had with our poor old class C it took us almost 6. We overheated, lost a couple of belts, had a blowout that took the gas line to the fridge and the underpinning with it (and it was the inside tire on top of it) and this was all in one short trip! It seemed like every few miles something was coming off! I finally told my husband, just don't stop for anything and see if we can get it home. That convinced us it was time to move on to something else. We got everything fixed and sold it.

Two campers later, we are now fortunate enough to have a brand new tt. Our first trip with it was a real learning experience - even after all our years of camping. We learned the real meaning of "rv friendly gas stations". We got into a real pickle at about our 2nd stop to get gas, we turned down what we thought was a way through the parking lot but ended up being the drive through to Wendy's! Of course it's pouring down rain and I have to get out and guide him all the way back out and around a turn. Although we didn't completely block the parking lot, I got honked at, cussed at, yelled at and completely soaked before we finally made it out of there! Yes, it's funny now.

I know you're all shaking your heads and saying, "no one but us die hard campers would even think of doing it again after all that"!

Happy Camping!

Thank the travel gods we have only had minor incidents. We used to pull our car on a tow dolly, and one time we either had to unhook or take out a gas pump. If you have ever used a tow dolly you know it was a close decision, but the pump won out.

Another time we had pulled into an RV service drive to get propane. Unfortunately we could not pull on through because they were repaving the drive on the other side of the service building so we had to back out. We only needed to back up about 6-7 feet so that we could make a left turn. We decided to try it with the tow car attached (no more tow dolly by now). I can already hear you laughing. We knew better, too. We only made it about 2 feet until the car wheels turned. The worst part, however, was that when the wheels turned they jammed up the tow bar, and we could not get the car unhooked. We blocked their driveway for over an hour until we finally managed to pry things loose and move. The service people never tried to help us, but several other RV owners came over to lend a hand.

Once we meant to turn into an RV park but accidentally turned into a long driveway that led to the back of a private business. Thank goodness they were closed and there were no cars in the small parking lot or we would not have been able to turn around.

One February in Williams, AZ, our furnace quit lighting so we spent a 14 degree night under every blanket we had. I think we also piled clothes on the bed. Even our 3 cats went under the covers. However, when we got to Las Vegas it only took about 2 hours to have the problem fixed. We now carry a small electric heater as a back up.

Travel and learn. More experience to come.
Hmmmm.....well I guess scraping your awning on a tree would be an accident.

As far as the driving portion of the trips goes......try driving 50 miles against a concrete wall in a 10ft lane that is constanly moving in a snake like pattern. It's very nerve racking. Well at least for me. blink.gif
Our on the road problems relate to tires. On our 36' Jayco 5er Designer, we blew both right side tires, one going to destination, and one on return home. We thanked our lucky stars that nothing more serious happened as both tires blew on an interstate at 60 mph. After having all the tires replaced via road service, we returned home the next day. Sometime later, after some investigation on the internet, a problem in construction was acknowledged by the manufacturer. The manufacturer then paid for the replaced tires and the body damage to the RV. After repairs were made, we traded the 5th wheel for a new motor home.
Do you mind me asking what year your Jayco was?
QUOTE(Cheryl @ Jun 22 2006, 01:58 PM) *

Do you mind me asking what year your Jayco was?


The Jayco was a 1997, model #3520, Designer, a very comfortable and
spacious unit. We had numerous problems with the unit in the three years
we own it, a long involved story of trials and tribulations. The tire & damage
problem was the last straw. If we had been new to Rving, I think we would
have pulled the plug, but as you can see, we are still at it after 50+ years of
camping in one form or another.
We had a 96 Jayco Designer 36' 5th wheel, we ordered new. The tire blow-outs every other summer belonged to it. Also, the 2nd summer we had it (it was stored in a garage all winter), the air-conditioner failed to work. And we had a major leak during a thunderstorm on the slideout.

Have come to the conclusion that the unit's suspension capacity was less than adequate. I believe that the axles bent, and that the tires were not adequate for the weight. Of course this is my opinion, and may or may not be fact. For what ever reason, it's gone.
Worse thing to happen was to leave Massachusetts with my neighbors words ringing in my ears; "Nothing ever goes wrong with those Newmars, right?"

Outside Buffalo, we overheated & had to pull to the side of the busy interstate. We discovered a blown resevoir. Great tow truck driver hooks us up & takes us to an authorized RV repairshop. They refused to take us. Tow driver hooked us back up & took us to Buffalo Freightliner where they not only had to replace the resevoir but ALL of our batteries (including house) and a steering column recall (which caused damage to front tires a year later)! They let us plug in & settle in for the night. Not enough power to run a digital clock so it was an early night.

Next morning, someone hooks up the batteries to a charger & leaves. Several hours later we ask when we'll be released. We discover that the fine fellow hadn't hook the batteries to the charger properly. Still no juice.

We finally get back on the road & reach the Escapade we were headed for. THEN! The front air suspension bag starts to leak. We pump that up & limp into another repair shop for that fix & discover an electrical problem (we'd had a braking system put on at the rally & it wasn't wired properly) so we had no running lights.

And to end the week we blow a back tire in TN. One week mind you! I haven't let my friend live down his jinx on my DutchStar!

There have been various other ISSUES since. Driving on a "Parkway" in CT (we know we can clear 11'11" BARELY). We're from the west coast, didn't know we couldn't drive on these highways until some motorists got us to pull over. While it has been one grand adventure, I may be looking for a new ju-ju-free Newmar soon. tongue.gif
My husband always said the tires were too small for the trailer, that Jayco should have went with a bigger size tires as well as the rims. Like you, we have gotten rid of it. The kids quit going with us, so we decided we needed a bigger unit. biggrin.gif
Our worst driving experience was almost 20 years ago. We had a blowout in our right front truck tire. It happened just outside Red Lodge, Montana. Hubby got it changed OK. That was back when we had a Ford diesel truck and we were towing a 20' Prowler trailer.

Our second incident was another flat tire, only this was just last October and we noticed it just as we were pulling out of our site in a park in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. This time it was the right rear wheel on the truck. We managed to get it changed without unhitching the 5th wheel.

However, our very worst incident had nothing to do with truck or trailer. This June hubby had a kidney stone attack in St. Regis, Montana. The nearest ambulance and hospital were 15 miles away in Superior, Montana. With being hospitalized one night and then another to recuperate, we ended up staying three nights in that park instead of the one we had planned for.

Once we left there and got set up in a park in Pasco, Washington, he got another attack. This time he was again kept overnight but the stone was removed the next day. We ended up staying three nights again instead of the one we planned on.
We've been actually fairly lucky with not having too much trouble with equipment while traveling.

One time when we had our motorhome we were on our way to Upper Michigan and had relatives who lived half way there, so we stopped to see them for a few days and when we were ready to leave, my uncle noticed that there was fuel leaking from under our he took a few hours and fixed it for least we were lucky enough for him to catch that before something really bad would have happened.
We followed Yahoo directions to a campground. Turned out to be a mistake when we were on a 2 lane road with no shoulder, no turn around, no pull off and climbed a 8% grade for 5 miles. Upon reaching the top we then had the backside of that mountain to come down. We were pulling our boat and the the backside was 5 miles of 8% down hill also. The brakes got very soft even with not riding them all the way down. The road then ended at the bottom and we had to make a left turn, luckily no traffic on the other road and we pulled into the farmers field to let the brakes cool (they were smoking) and gather up some nerve to finish the last 10 miles to the campground. We then talked to some other campers who came there often and they gave us really good directions on great roads to come home on.
Not driving related, but a current problem we're trying to solve. We planned to be away from our motorhome for three weeks, but unexpected surgery turned it into four months. The propane ran out so everything in the refrigerator and freezer turned into a stinking mush. I have tried so many products and air fresheners but it seems the smell has permeated the plastic insides. If anyone can offer advice, it would be greatly appreciated. This is an '05 coach, so we hope not to have to replace the fridge already.
This is just a last ditch suggestion that has worked for us on a home freezer. We, after thorougly cleaning, put in an open bag of charcoal and stuffed the rest full of crumpled up newspapers. It worked pretty good.
Thanks, Homer. We have tried charcoal, but never heard of the newspaper. How long did it take? Do you need to change the paper? It has gotten a little better, or we are getting used to it. That's what makes it harder--we're living in our rig and need to use the fridge.
You might try a bag of activated charcoal, specifically designed to absorb chemicals and odors from a pet store. Aquarium charcoal comes in very porous mesh bags and is very pure.

I use it between trips to prevent odors and clean out residue from trips.
Handicamper: Yes change the newspapers every day or two, you should notice less odor with each changing. The activated charcoal is the most important. Some hospital supply houses and fire clean up places have access to special chemicals that do a very good job. Most will sell you a bottle to help you out. The charcoal and paper will probably do about as well. Ozone generators are too bulky and expensive to rent. Good Luck, we have been there.
John Blue
I do not know if this will help or not. The large tank trucks you see on highways use chemicals to kill odors inside tanks. Trucks transport a number of chemicals and stuff that has odors. I talked to driver long time ago and he said they washed out tank and add very small amount of some type of chemical and all odors are gone. You may wish to call a truck transport company and see if they could help you. Check the yellow pages.
I almost had a bad driving experience but luckily I averted it. I was checking a pop-up we had before going on our first trip of the season and found about a 3-4" square peace of tread missing on one of the tires and the belt showing underneath. Don't know how it happened but I figure it happened over the winter. I would have hated to see what could have happened if we had driven on it. Just goes to show how important it is to thoroughy check out your camper before going on a trip.
[quote name='mogulman' date='Jun 17 2006, 12:13 PM' post='4410']
Answer the poll!

If anything else weird happend on you vacation tell it to us.

For some unknown reason, when ever something goes wrong, I am the one driving. Not my 6'2" husband that can drive anything, anywhere, nor my 6'3" son that drives even better than my husband. Nope, it always happens when I (5'2") is driving this bus!!
First thing was a jack coming down. You have no way of knowing if it went down a half an inch or all the way. The alarm goes off, you have to stop to find out. I am ok on the highway, ok on main roads, but I wind up in one of those areas with no where to turn around. We fix the jack (it was hardly down at all). I was determined to get myself out while the guys gave me directions. I thought it would help build my confidence.
Next trip, starts when we are uncovering the rig, it has snow and ice on the cover. It took hours to get the job done. The guys are up there, inching their way across the roof the final foot or so was above the front drivers side. Just as my husband says, make sure it doesn't hit the mirror, it hit the mirror, knocked it right off. Now we are driving to meet up with friends to travel to Fla. to go on a cruise so we have to leave. They make a temporary fix to keep the mirror in place and we call to have a new mirror next dayed to our next stop. It arrived on time. The guys put it on and we continue on our way. The rest of the trip down was uneventful. The cruise was great, we spent some time in the keys. Our son flew in and met us there. It has been weeks since the mirror fell off and was replaced. So when I was driving on the highway and my lane was ending, imagine my surprise when I look in the mirror and see my own face looking back at me! When I look back, I realize the lane is really ending, I try to look around behind me and see a tractor trailer truck right there, good thing he was as close as he was or I would have changed lanes into him. I am braking and panicing. The truck goes by and I say a hail mary and make the lane change (that or hit the big cement divider, my son is looking out the back window yelling go, go go you can get in. Ofcourse, we made it and I immediately got off the next exit. We fix it, and the guys are suprised when I don't want to continue my "turn" at driving. I have driven again since, but I think I am developing a complex.
The old Chevy chase Vacation movies owe us royalties. We never take vacations, we take adventures. 2006 was no exception. We loaded up with gradkids and treked westward from Texas in late June. New tires, oil changed and everything in working order on our 34' MH with only 52k miles on it. When did all the gas stations on the Petrified Forest National Park close? Let's see at 6 miles per gal and 28 miles back to Painted Desert services and only 21 to Holbrook we chose Holbrook. Not one station open on the highway. Sitting atop the overpass at the entrance to Holbrook waiting for a train that went back and forth the engine died. Lucky for us we made it downhill to a nice station that had the lowest prices in Holbrook. Try coasting with no power and no power steering. While driving up[ the incline to Mesa Verde the engine died and we had to coast downhill backwards to a pull off. Try that with no power steering. The copilot made all the grandkids get out and watch Pop as he defied gravity and common sense. Fionding nothing taht would manifest itself after an hours wait we continued on. After a few hours driving the next day we developed a backfire about every fifty miles. I blamed it on the cheap octane but changed the fuel filter as a precaution. We continued on only to blow a new inside tire between Arches and Green River, Wyoming. Limped into Green River at 6:00 p.m. on July 3rd. Had to wait until July 5th to get new tire. Oops make that tires as one other new tire had tread falling off. oops one new tire is non radial as taht is all they have on hand and it has to be replaced when we get home. Back fire returned so we switched to premium at $3.69 per gallon. Darn Mh runs fine at night but horrible during the day. Have lots and lots of suggestions but none pan out. Mountains get higher and engine runs worse. No repair shops anywhere on the weekend or on our route. Leave Yellowstone Park by the East entrance as it is downhill and there are no mountains to climb. East Entrance under construction. Four hours to go 17 miles. Outside Cody, Wy. smell something burning. Discover the house batteries have been shorted out by the battery charger cable coming into contact with the battery. Repaired charger and charged batteries while family ate supper. Unit dies at gas station in cody, 8:00 p.m. Friday night. No repair shops open until Monday. Have important busienss meeting Tuesday in Houston. Drive to Casper and have minor disaster when unit stops on high hill outside of Metetsee, Wy. Finally starting we make it to Casper Saturday morning and put grandkids on plane for home. Mh running perfectly we decide to forego repari shops and continue to Hosuton, Tx. Approaching bridge under coinstruction on I-25 Mh decides to backfire again and die. choice is to block traffic or drive off road onto new section being built. You should ahve seen the construction guys run when we sailed off the interstate. After an hour of fiddeling and much discussion amongst those learned men we started up and headed on. The darn MH does not want to climb hills but runs great on level road. Take short cut to Ft. Laramie where the unit dies right at the rr tracks in the middle of town. The only merchanic in eastern Wyoming happens by and after much discussion amongst several learned bystanders it is determined that the coil is bad. Als the mechanic has a job underway and can not install one until finished with that job. Saturday ticks away amd there are no parts houses within 45 miles of Ft. Laramie. mechanic arrives back and takes old coil out and drives to Scotts Bluff to get a replacement. Now dark he returns and installs the new coil. After much testing and an hour of driving around Ft. Laramie ( Population 200) the Mh is running great and we thankfully embark. For the next 200 miles we do fine and then the familiar backfiring starts and the unit dies and we sit for 30 minutes until we can go again. We cross Nebraska Sunday going twenty miles at a time before stopping. It's hot in Nebraska! Ditto Kansas! At least the generator churns out juice to run the ac's. Texas finally comes into sight and we will make our Tuesday meeting. Ha ha! Calculating we can make it home going twenty miles at a streatch we gas up in Childress. Generator quits running. House batteries are dead. We now can go only ten miles before having to stop. Finally make Houston and rush hour afternoon traffic. Knowing we have to stop frequently we pull into s strip center. Wild driver peels out and almost hits us as we pull in. Slamming on the brakes the Mh dies and we have to coast onto grass to avoid the speeding driver who leaves in a cloud of smoke. Copilot threatens me with my life if I don't make the unit run for the remaining 20 miles to home. Two more stops and we finally reach the hacienda. Exhausted we go straight to bed. Wake up Tuesday and discover that meeting was three hours ago. Wednesday go to tire store to replace the non radial purchased in Wyoming. Tire has to ordered. Take tools out of garage and proceed to work on MH engine. New plugs (again), new wires,distributor cap, rotor and relay and upteen opther items. Unit runs great. Head out to station to fill up. On the way home unit begins its familiar backfire and rough running. Neighbor comes over and offers friendly advice. Neighbor starts work on engine. Has to be something simple he says. ( three weeks later unit finally runs.) I meanwhile trouble shoot the genertor. New batteries did not solve the problem. Ahh here it is a broken resistor. Onan has none and the closest rv supplier has none. Friendly electronics store has several. Bad choice. Wrong resistor burns up rotor on generator. This vacation turned out to be more an adventure than even we wanted.
It makes me feel better when worse things have happend to others.
Nothing like on the list.

The last morning of our 2005 trip, as we pulled out of camp the right rear axle bearing on our trailer gave up the ghost and destroyed itself, and the axle.

We had just spent three weeks out, and this happens 120 miles from home. Guess we were fortunate. Managed to get the trailer to a repair shop, grabbed our stuff and made it home. Had to return a week later for the trailer.
On the way back from pigeon forge tenn that we take every year comeing down black moutain the electric brakes on our 30 foot t.t. would lock up and smoke the tires the only way to get them to realese was to unplug them then plug them back up and go at it again trying to go down the moutain without useing any brake leting the truck low gear hold us back thought about leaving them unhooked till we got to the bottom but the grade was steep and if i had to have them at least they would work only problem was if i had to stop to unplug there was only two lanes with no pull offs because road work was going on at the time only had to stop three times and block traffic good thing we was pulling with a 3500 chevy duelly got to the bottom and took a hammer and beat on the drums no more problems the rest of the way home
Michigan Saints
We were at a camp in Michigans UP and I lost a chinch pin for my Blue Ox tow bar. Managed to get a bolt at a hardware store about 20 miles down the road. I now carry extra clevis and clinch pins. Learn something every day.
Ants!!! OMG, the ants!!!! This isn't really a driving experience, but it does illustrate what greenhorns from New England can get themselves into when traveling outside of their region. We had left Charleston, SC, two summers ago and were on our way home to Maine. We stopped at a lovely state park on a lake outside of Aiken (I forget the name of the place). It was big, with a golf course, pool, lake-front sites etc. Nice looking place...and we had a shaded site just above the lake.

We spent the first night and when I awakened the next morning I saw a 3-foot wide black trail moving up the interior bedroom wall, about 10 inches from my nose. Of course, I didn't have my glasses on, so I just watched it for awhile, thinking "what on earth is that??" When I finally found my glasses, I realized that we had been invaded in the night by hoards of ants. I can't describe how many there were! We started slapping, and smashing them....but they just kept coming and coming and coming. They were all over one whole interior side of the trailer! Finally, I went out and bought insect spray (lots of it) and we sprayed inside and out (tires, hitch, tongue, leveling feet, etc.) The fumes were something, but they seemed to do little good.

The park rangers then came out with major spray guns and covered our whole site, but by this time we were all wheezing and gasping for breath (even our Welsh Terrier wanted nothing to do with the trailer). Although we had pre-paid several days, we decided to bail out and left that afternoon; but the ants came with us....ALL the way back to Maine. 5-6 times per day, all the way home, we'd have ant killing sessions, where we'd smash them on the wall. They were with us all that summer (even tagging along on our end-of-summer trip to Prince Edward Island). Finally, the Maine winter of 2005/2006 seemed to do them in....or else they just marched back to the Carolina's once the leaves fell in New England. I don't miss them.
QUOTE(mogulman @ Jun 17 2006, 04:13 PM) *

Answer the poll!

If anything else weird happend on you vacation tell it to us. cool.gif

On our trip out to AZ June 2006 we were driving along I-20 in Lousianna in a relatively flat section of road when we encountered an obstacle in the roadway. At first we didnt realize it was an obstacle as we thought that it was just a semi truck cruising in front of us. We we going about 65 mph towing our 25 ft pioneer and all at once we realized that the trailer in front wasnt moving!!!!! Hubby looked in the side mirror to check that he could move over and say a pickup that was running along side the pioneer-- he also had noticed that the trailer in front of us wasnt moving. Thankfully he slammed on his brakes and went over into the shoulder allowing us just enough clearance to clear that obstacle in the road. Whew ! As we flashed our thanks to the pickup driver we looked in the rearview to discover that the semi- truck was the back trailer of a semi. It must have become unhitched from the rest of the semi trailer and had stopped perfectly straight in the road. Yep---that day our guardian angels had been working overtime..
Wow everyone seems to have trouble on the roads sometimes. Its fun to read all your stories.
QUOTE(mogulman @ Jun 17 2006, 04:13 PM) *

Answer the poll!

If anything else weird happend on you vacation tell it to us. cool.gif

Well, a couple of years ago in our 1st Southwind, we lost our brakes coming out of the east pass of Yellowstone. Had to sit on the side of the "under construction" road, about 1/2 way down, for 1 1/2 hours waiting for the brakes and fluid to cool down. (for those of you who have been there, you'll probably remember the 400' drop w/ no guard rails). We gingerly made it to Cody, WY and pulled into the CG right on that curve, on the left, before town. Tried to get someone to do the dice. Sooooo, DW and I went to Wal-Mart and bot some jack stands, and I begged and borrowed a few extra jacks, and blocks, in addition to my own, and we did our own brakes and fluid change in the park. Oh yeah, it was 109', w/ the wind blowing dust in our eyes the whole time. And of course, the clincher is, we came 1" from losing the coach off of the jack stands, w/ me and my wife under it. Curiously, even though a few people offered tools, no one offered to help us. They would just stop by occationally to "see how we were making out" !!! Got more stories, but my wife and I decided that if we could make it thru that, we could do most anything, so we bot an '07 Southwind. Go figuire. blink.gif
There are a lot hairy stories on this subject. I know most/all are true, as I have have lived some of them myself in 40 years of RV'g. RIGGAROB: Yours makes my head hurt, when I contemplate what could have happened. I am sure you had to use your own resources to get back on the road and I am so glad no one was injured. This exemplifies what Americans were made of. Ingenuity, resourceful, and that Can-Do attitude. Some one said, "Get R' Done". You did.
QUOTE(Homer @ Oct 31 2007, 05:41 PM) *

There are a lot hairy stories on this subject. I know most/all are true, as I have have lived some of them myself in 40 years of RV'g. RIGGAROB: Yours makes my head hurt, when I contemplate what could have happened. I am sure you had to use your own resources to get back on the road and I am so glad no one was injured. This exemplifies what Americans were made of. Ingenuity, resourceful, and that Can-Do attitude. Some one said, "Get R' Done". You did.

Why thank you ! However I agree w/ you about the part that sez "what Americans WERE made of". Today, if we left to settle the west, we wouldn't make it past St. Louis, because a wheel would fall off the wagon, and the owner would sue the Conastoga coach Co., the wheel manufacturer, the bearing manf., the guy who sold him the wagon, and of course the Wagon Master for starting him on such a perilous journey !!! mad.gif
You got to love those lawyers, good point !
QUOTE(mogulman @ Jun 17 2006, 04:13 PM) *

Answer the poll!

If anything else weird happend on you vacation tell it to us. cool.gif

Got another one fer ya all. After we stopped at the Camping World in OK city (traveling west on I-40) to have a safety-steer installed, because the wind was blowing so hard we couldn't make it any farther w/o one, we got back on I-40 west to continue to AZ. Well, the Safety-Steer worked great, so we're toolin' down the road, and there is this guy standing in the middle of I-40, waving us to slow down !! I-%$#^#@!#-40 !!!!! We were going about 65 MPH, and almost ran over this kid, before he jumped out of the way. We were sweating bullets, when, all of a sudden, YIKES there's a belly dump in the middle of both lanes, dead stopped. But, here comes the good part....his hydraulics had let go, and dumped about 20 ton of hot top in a nice straight line, right in the middle of 40. The 1st car had hit the pile, and rolled over to the right side gutter, the 2nd suv hit the pile and rolled to the left, a semi w/ trailer missed the pile, BUT, went off to the left missing the SUV, but went so far into the median that it blew ALL of the tires off the rims !!!! By now, there was hot top spead out everywhere, and believe me, it may as well been marbles, it was so slick. We managed to shoot to the left between everything, at about 50 MPH (and w/ our toad attached), and just buy the grace of the Man himself, we slid right on through. It took us a week to get all of the hot top off of the MH and toad, plus we had to listen to the sound of the asphalt pinging off of the wheel wells (over the sound of our heart beats !!) for about 20 miles after that. Now we're back on track, hearts are only racing at about 30% over normal, and there's a State Trooper on the side of the road watching a fire burn ! Those of you from around OK city may remember the fire that got out of control (July/August, '06 ?) and made the headline news. Anyway, that all happened to us in about 20 minutes time. That one was right up there w/ a couple of my experiences in Viet Nam !! unsure.gif
Lucille Moulton
This happen while back. I don't remeber what year. We were going down the highway when we came to a low bridge. We look at each other and said where was the sign. I'm surpose to read all the sign. We were lucky that there was a turn around before you came to the bridge. I know it was down in the south.
While this story has nothing to do with RVing, it does relate to a family vacation and driving.

In the fall of 2004 while living in Japan, we did an international exchange on a time-share we owned and opted for a “Resort” in Mersing, Malaysia. There was no easy way to get there. We had to fly into Singapore and take a bus up to Mersing. The bus ride itself was a real E Ticket ride.

Once we got to the “Resort” we learned the “season” had ended the previous weekend and that the “Resort” was in a hibernation mode. This meant the restaurant and bar were closed. It also meant there was a lot of open units. In fact there was only one other family staying there. It was a family of 4 from South Africa. By noon of day 2 there our family of 3 and become quick friends with the South Africans.

I don’t know if any of you have ever been to or through Mersing, but there isn’t much there and absolutely nothing to do. The solution was to rent a vehicle and make a day trip to Melaka (Melacca). It took a day to organize a vehicle, but the owner of the resort came through with a Toyota van we could rent. It was delivered to the “Resort” the evening before our trip. My South African friend and I did a walk around of the van and noticed it had been rear-ended and that the rear cargo door was damaged. We pointed the damage out and were told no sweat.

Very early the next morning we load up for at least a 4-hour drive west over the mountains to Melaka. About an hour down the road we hit a provincial capital. It was a city complete with round-abouts. At the first round-about the rear cargo door (the one creased in the rear-end accident) flew open and up. It was a real Oh-S minute! We were able to get off the road without further mishap. We tried everything to get the door to stay closed, but found the latch had been too badly damaged. Who knows why the door had opened before it did. Anyway, off came my belt and we just tied it shut.

After making the fix we got back underway. Keep in mind we had only recently met this family and both families were on their best behavior. One thing I had noted when driving was the a/c didn’t seem to put out much cold air and that the driver’s seat seemed to get very hot. Solution….let the other fellow drive. About 30 minutes later he begged out of driving. We starting comparing notes and agreed about the poor air conditioner and hot driver’s seat. We sucked it up and made it to Melaka. Once we found a place to park, we performed a closer inspection of the driver’s seat. Come to find out there was absolutely no padding in the driver’s seat and that it was seated on top of the engine cowling. Thus all the engine heat was going right through the cowling and into our buttocks.

We looked around, did some shopping, and ate our first good meal in days. Having been warned to cross the mountains at night (large wild animals roam the 2 lane mountain highway causing many fatal accidents), we started back at 4:00 P.M. We had bought several beach towels to both cushion and insulate the driver’s seat.

Heavy logging traffic and heavy rains in the mountains slowed our progress and didn’t nothing but make the engine hotter. Every 20 minutes we had to switch drivers. Despite our early departure from Melaka we were only able to make it half way through the mountains before night fall. We had been forewarned about the big animals, but nobody told us there were no street lights. We also soon learned our headlights didn’t put out much light, meaning we had to slow way down. The rain storms exacerbated problems by reducing visibility and producing temperature changes that fogged-up the windows cutting visibility even more.

By this time our wives flat refused to drive, primarily because of the heat on the buttocks. It was hard to take. Keep in mind that between Melaka and Mersing the provincial capital was the only town we passed through. There was the highway and the jungle, oh and us. We were creeping down the road when our very young teenage daughters told us nature was calling and that an immediate stop was in order. Their respective Mothers tried to encourage them to hold on by suggesting tigers roamed the area and that a young girl squatting on the highway would make an appetizing target. That ploy only worked for about 20 minutes. When we did stop, you guessed it, their respective Dads and one brother waited for them to exit the van and then started growling like tigers. While the men found great humor in this, the women didn’t.

We finally made it back to the “Resort”. Next day at the pool we all got a chuckle out of the entire experience.
Lucille Moulton
You need to change your poll! You need to add problem that you have while you are camping.
We pull into a nice campground in New York State on the Lawrence River. I was told that the camp site were not level. I told then that was not a problem we have levelly. Pull into a nice camp site and set up, then my husband try to put down the leveler. The camper start to sink in the ground when I look under the camper the front level was sinking. I yell to my husband to put then up. He try because the level was so far under ground it would not go up.
The other camper were laugh at us and told us went the camp ground close. Also how much snow that part of New York get. I told everyone to send food, bottle gas for cookand heat and don't forget dog food.
The owner have a shovel that we could use to dug it out, then we got it up. At that time we have a 30' Coachman Leprechaun
Scottish Terrier
Compokel, your last paragraph reminds me of a trip we took to New England. We got onto the "Sawmill Pkway" in New York which we didn't know we weren't suppose to be on with our RV. Drove for probably close to 30+ miles with everyone cussing, yelling, giving us obscene gestures and such. It was the most frightened I have ever been while RVing. We absolutely "ticked" those drivers off.
T Lynn: I don't even like the Sawmill Parkway in a car. Doing it in an RV would be too much!

We just took a trip back to the family for Thanksgiving. Boondocked at a Walmart on the way. Planned to fire up the generator, shower, breakfast, get an early start for the 2nd half of the trip. But... the generator throttle was stuck wide open. It sent more juice into the electrical system than the system could handle. The power converter fried, filled the cabin with smoke, and delayed our trip by several hours. Wouldn't have been so bad except we have a 20 month old who wasn't happy to be stuck in an RV dealership waiting on repairs.

Learned lots about the RV system from the experience though. Also bought an "outboard" generator that may come in handy for New England winters.
On a return trip from Florida this year and driving a long day I put $30.00 of gas in my deisal before I noticed. Had to sleep in fifth wheel at gas station and have truck and trailer towed to dealer next day, they had to remove tank.Good job I noticed before starting .Will never forget that family holiday to Florida or will my wife and kidds. Recently I was giving my 10 year old son heck for not remembering to do something I had asked ,he replys in a joking manor at least I did not forget what type of fuel my truck takes.
We don't take vacations in our motor home but work full-time traveling around the U.S. where the work is.

Multiple flat tires on our 25' Pace tow trailer has been the worst problem. My husband had met with the salesguy at the dealership for hours to make sure the guy understood exactly what he wanted and that it would be built with exactly the specs he was ordering. The manufacturer did not put in the heavyweight axles as requested and the salesguy didn't catch it. So, with the tires which were not the best, and the load that we carry in our trailer, including hubby's work vehicle, our Harley, and a full shop, in the heat of last summer we had between one and three flat tires daily.

Unfortunately, neither the dealer nor the manufacturer would make it right and we ended up replacing the axles and tires at our own expense. mad.gif

Other things, like the furnace breaking in 0 temps and a few engine odds and ends seem like nothing compared to the nightmare of the axle and tire problems we lived through last summer.
Our first class A and we were going from Okla to CA about 100 miles from Alberqueque NM and our front windsheild blows out noting that bad since then but that was enough
We had a tent trailer about 20 years ago that broke an axle spring while crossing a railroad track. After getting a welding shop to replace the broken spring we managed to drive another 500 miles before the wheel on the same side broke away with parts flying all over the freeway. Never seen traffic scatter so fast in my life. Same tent trailer on another trip blew a tire which self destructed on the rim. While replacing the tire the black flies had me for lunch as my boys said I looked like something out of a horror show. We have a motorhome now and so far nothing major. The only flat tire was when parked at the campsite (leaky valve). After reading some of the incidents people on this site have experienced I consider myself very lucky and hope it stays that way.
Well lets see, when my wife,son and I started we had a 28' four winds TT first thing happened first night out.
The tumblers in the lock went bad could not get key to work, luckily had a door on side that went into a hall closet, climbed threw it and had to un screw the hole door latch. #2 rained hard same night after we got to sleep awning fill up with water and cracked the main tub and busted in half, fell against the TT almost could not open the door.
finally got out side raining like cats and dogs, try to roll up the busted awning, let me tell you this, ever try to do that to a awning that is broke into?
well got it rolled back up and was glad to get back in to get dry and to sleep.
( PS: remember to lean those awnings ) ....................PLEASE smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.