Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Killer Campgrounds
RV Park Reviews Campground Discussion Forum > RV Park and Campground Discussions > RV Park Discussions
rodeo1
i just have to say this. i have been reading several campground reviews that have been gettinglow review numbers, then when you read them it is all over weak wi-fi. i think its a sad day when a really killer campground has to endure low reviews over some moron who cant go out and enjoy camping without a stupid computer to check his "e-mail" every ten minutes, then low rate a park over it.

sorry just my 2 cents worth.[size=4]
Big Ben
Boy thats kind of rough. Don't usually see name calling on this forum.Any way you don't seem to understand that many of us are full timers or spend extended times on the road and the email is the only contact that we have with loved ones.Some make their living while traveling and need to be connected.
f you have been following the posts there have been a lot of complants about park advertising wifi that don't have a very good system. It is a shame you havn't leaned to be a little more tolerant of your fellow RVers. Morons???????????
Cheryl Fuller
I gotta' agree with Big Ben on this one...while poor wifi may not be the only reason to rate a park low, for those who do need the internet to conduct business, both personal and otherwise, it would be a consideration when looking for a park to stay at. I think we all try to be tolerant of each other's opinions here, and have enough sense to read between the lines on reviews. I think it is unfair to call those who do rate along those lines "morons". If it is something that is important to them and the campground has stated that they have wifi, I assume the camper would expect it to be "useable" wifi. I truly do hope you will also be tolerant of other's opinions and refrain from name calling in the future.
Beastdriver
I will give up my internet when you shut down your toilet. And I won't even call you a moron if you do shut down your toilet, although I suspect you will soon come to that realization yourself.
mastercraft
I have to agree with the 3 previous posts. Every person has their reasons for rating a park. If wi-fi is important to one person then they will rate the park according to their personal reasons. I have found it to be important to read all reviews to get a full understanding of a campground. I will agree that name calling is a little strong. If you really like a park, just rate it based on your creteria understanding that your criteria might be different from others.
John Blue
I also agree with the other post. I have wrote up a lot of parks to date and not one time have I ever down rated a park for poor WiFi service. I do note this in the comments so other people who do not use the US mail service or stones to sent and receive information can see the problem. We now live in a new age of information. A lot of RV people have about everything to work the internet. If WiFi is poor or missing I use our cell phone to work the internet or a local phone line. We like other on this board travel for months on end and e-mail and internet helps keep me up to date on new information, banking, etc.

I also think you will find most RV people on this board are not "Morons" but nice people who enjoy our life on the road.

Use care in your use of words.
oldcutup
Last year we were camping in Tennessee and my next door neighbor in a Monach 40'er was complaining about the wi/fi connection. They blew me away when they solved there communications problems by driving around the neighborhood and finding a "Hot Spot". I liken this to Walmart parking lot campers. I have a cell phone connection and/or go to the library and use their computer.
When we are running away from or tracking a hurricanes, we go to the library and get a $.10 cent print-out. This method is more reliable than the Weather Channel. Their reporters always go to the wrong location and stand there in their "Blue rain gear" and say the wind is blowning.

I would like someone camping near me and call me a "Moron". Camping would not be their favorite passtime after they got an ear full from me.

Happy camping
Lee and Cleo
Florida
troyster
I have to go along with the consensus on this one.

My wife has a job that requires her to be online regularly. If she has a break, we will stay at a campground where WiFi is not an issue. We may have it and we may not. But when we need it, we go out of our way to find a campground that advertisies WiFi, and then I always call them and explain that we need WiFi and ask if the can assure us a good connection.

These are the ones that get dowrated by me when the WiFi is bad. I don't care if a campground has it or not, but if they tell me they have it, then I expect it. Just like if they tell me they have trees, or showers, or laundry room.

If you don't have something, and you tell people you do, just to get them to your campground, then you are a shyster, and deserve a lower rating.

If holding someone accountable to stand behind the promises they make qualifies me as a "Moron" then that's a hat I'll wear with pride.
cuse44
I have to agree with the majority on this one. I am new here and hope that all of you will rate honestly on all attributes.

I read one entry that rates all campgrounds low if they don't allow fires. Maybe it's the same guy who doesn't like wifi laugh.gif

Since I have several burn holes in my awning caused by neighbors fires, I say good when I see "no fires". Plus with all of the fires out west, I am sure thay don't need any more help starting fires.
denbroncs
Well, I'm going to support the new guy on this - simply because he's been getting hammered and because it's fun, at times, to be in the minority. biggrin.gif He does have a point - although the language he used could have been a little more "nice." If I'm in a camp & rate it low only[i] because the WiFi is bad, that would be shortsighted of me. If a camp told me they had great WiFi & I could not pick it up when I stepped outside their store, that would be shortsighted of them - and yeah that would affect the rating. Now, can't we all just get along?
Butch
The posting made by rodeo1 sure did stir up a hornets nets, but we all should allow this individual to voice his, and or her, opinion. We have fought wars over the right to freedom of speech and opinions that may differ from our own. The wording within the post was strong, and have to agree the wording could have been toned down somewhat, but it surely got everyones attention. Personally in reading the posting, I can see the point made that it's to bad that we can not go out camping, and simply enjoy the experience. My pet peeve is "cell phones". They are used to invade our personal space in restaurants, on the street, in stores, and have seen them used in church. What did they do before they can upon the scene ? We all have something that tics us off on whatever the subject. Thanks for the opportunity to voice my opinion.
woodman
Well, hi.

We morons finance our full-time life on the road by working part-time in gifted education, he running the business end of a mathcamp and I teaching writing to gifted kids. All this is via a Datastorm dish which, right now, isn't working worth a rip even though we paid nearly $6K for it and all of its accoutrements less than a year ago. Cell phones complete the gear we must use constantly for work.

If that makes us morons in your book, then I can only hope you find others out here on the road as judgmental of how you must live your life as you are of how we must live ours.

W
dry.gif
COWolfPack
That is what is so wonderful about this site, the ratings are done by fellow RV'ers. This being the case people are going to rate the parks according to what is important to them. The more important an item to a person the more it will effect the park rating when they do a review. The other great thing is when someone is looking through the reviews if they see a low review based on items that are not important to what they expect in a park they can choose to ignore that review. That is the great thing about our country is the freedom to express are opinion and also the freedom to disagree or ignore someone elses opinion if we don't like it. That being said I think we should be able to disagree with someone's opinion without the need to put them down just because we don't agree with it. Can't we all just get along. biggrin.gif
Leezerman
Having been looking on this awsome site for a few months and just now signing up I have seen that most people explain why they rate a park what it is so you can adjust it to what is important to you..... relax and enjoy.
Galli
wink.gif Well I cannot agree with the "Moron" definition and lower rating because the campground does not provide specific services, however and in my opinion, there should not be an evaluation by the camper but only a statement on what's available, what's not, and the status of the items identified.
My reason for arriving at this conclusion is because we are human being with different expectations and values and I am pretty sure that if the chat would amend the rating form in which it would be identified specific items that should be compulsory in a campsite and the extra amenities available, the readers of the report would make up his own mind of whether the place is suitable for his,/her or not.
As an example this list should start with size and locations (size; trees or not; whether it is well leveled or...; water, sewage, hydro, TV, Internet.. etc..; cost ..etc... and at the bottom of the list a comment by the evaluator whether the place was clean, functional, staff polite.. etc..
I am not trying to open a competition among members but, I am pretty sure that if the chat moderator would ask the member for assistance in finding the proper questions, we will be glade to help.

tongue.gif
Sunflyer
Sounds a bit like a disgruntled campground owner who got a bad review. dry.gif
Just my suspicion.
Texasrvers
I have been following this thread since the first post and have finally decided to add my 2 cents. I can understand rodeo1’s thinking about going camping to “get away from it all” (most of my relatives are that way), but I prefer to stay in touch. Email and the internet is the best way to do that when traveling. We have just returned from a 3 week trip and during that time I made note of the different reasons that I used the internet. Besides sending email and pictures about our trip to relatives and friends, I was also able to monitor what was happening with our parents who are elderly. They especially enjoy our trip news and pictures since they cannot travel anymore. Additionally I went on line to find out about events and attractions in the areas where we stayed. I checked out prices and times of operation and found phone numbers to call for reservations. I checked weather reports, gas prices, and the stock market to see if we could stay longer or if we had to come home. laugh.gif And oh yes, I even read a few reviews for RV parks. I’m sure I could have done all of this in other ways, but it certainly was convenient and time saving to have the information at my finger tips. So now I guess I’m just another moron heard from.
Galli
QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Oct 25 2006, 07:43 PM) *

I have been following this thread since the first post and have finally decided to add my 2 cents. I can understand rodeo1’s thinking about going camping to “get away from it all” (most of my relatives are that way), but I prefer to stay in touch. Email and the internet is the best way to do that when traveling. We have just returned from a 3 week trip and during that time I made note of the different reasons that I used the internet. Besides sending email and pictures about our trip to relatives and friends, I was also able to monitor what was happening with our parents who are elderly. They especially enjoy our trip news and pictures since they cannot travel anymore. Additionally I went on line to find out about events and attractions in the areas where we stayed. I checked out prices and times of operation and found phone numbers to call for reservations. I checked weather reports, gas prices, and the stock market to see if we could stay longer or if we had to come home. laugh.gif And oh yes, I even read a few reviews for RV parks. I’m sure I could have done all of this in other ways, but it certainly was convenient and time saving to have the information at my finger tips. So now I guess I’m just another moron heard from.

wink.gif Don't be too hard with yourself Texasrvers, you don't have to be a moron in order to wish whatever is common practice on today's world, we are living in a world where these facilities have become part of our way of life, I am like you and I need my computer more than the telephone and notwithstanding the fact that I am spending my Winter’s months in a campsite, in Florida, where there is no internet facility, I run every second day to the local library in order to use the facility there. dry.gif
I think the issue that would upset me most is a camp site that promotes some facilities and once there, they are not available or for limited use only mad.gif , this may be the internet connection, the telephone facility, TV connection…… and other facilities that a camper would like to have during his/her vacation and once there, notwithstanding that they have been promoted, there are not available.
It is only 3 or 4 years that I am RVing in the Winter, however, some time before living Canada I took the habit to ask in the chat if anyone knows the area and could recommend some campsite, furthermore, as soon as someone reply to my message, I verify on the Internet the campsite add and then contact the person that replied to my message discussing the credibility of what it is offered there.
I am not expecting to be safe 100% but at least, I did my home work in order to cut down the inconvenience. biggrin.gif
rodman
There was a short time I did agree with Rodeo1, except the moron thing, that it would be nice if people could get away without their laptops and cell phones ringing all the time and enjoy the camp ground. Like some of the previous post's their are allot of people who do travel more and like to keep in touch and what better way than fresh pictures and e-mail. The one thing people are going to have to realise is that most people that either own or run RV parks are not IT people. They depend on other so called experts who install wireless and tell them it works. There are still allot of bugs to be worked out in the wireless world. So don't be so hard on the people that think they have a good network, they are probably relying on what someone has told them. Of course if they advertise it and don't try and stay on top of it then shame on them. Being an IT person in a major hospital and seeing what kind of problems we can have with a million dollar system think of what mom and pop can have with a much less reliable system. Just a thought.
Galli
biggrin.gif Well rodman, I tend to disagree with you with respect to a functionality of a given items in a campsite, the fact that a promotion advertises certain features and then are not available or not functional, could generate a lawsuit from a camper.
I have to agree with you that an RV camp should be a recreational place where those items should be of secondary importance, however, if they are advertised it means that they are part of the cost to stay at that camp and when some one chooses to stay in that place he/she is entitle to have it available.
As I mentioned in my previous message, I am spending my Winters in a camp that don’t provide Internet facilities, however, knowing that in Florida every libraries provide the internet access, I decided that I could live with it.
I am retired but I still have business contacts at home and wish to keep in touch with it, furthermore, I also have relatives in Canada and I love to exchange words with them once in a while.
In closing, the issue is not whether or not a campsite has to have, or not, the internet connection, the matter at issue is a misleading information to attract people with false pretense.
Gee, I am so good and I wonder why I didn’t become a lawyer ha, ha, ha laugh.gif
Tulirose
QUOTE(rodeo1 @ Sep 18 2006, 11:46 PM) *

i just have to say this. i have been reading several campground reviews that have been getting low review numbers, then when you read them it is all over weak wi-fi. .......

This is why it is important to read the reviews and not just go by rating numbers.

Variety is the spice of life.
And different people want different things out of a CG.
What I wanted in a CG 30 years ago
is very different from what I wanted 15 years ago and
at present more different still.

I take all I read here with a grain of salt.
And I take note of what the reviewer camped in.
Then, I use my God-given brain and decide for myself.

Happy Camping to you all!! biggrin.gif
jmo
Ouch ohmy.gif maybe rodeo1 is a "small" campground owner ph34r.gif

jmo
Big Mc

i just have to say this. i have been reading several campground reviews that have been gettinglow review numbers, then when you read them it is all over weak wi-fi. i think its a sad day when a really killer campground has to endure low reviews over some moron who cant go out and enjoy camping without a stupid computer to check his "e-mail" every ten minutes, then low rate a park over it.

I will identify myself as always. I am a cg owner. We, also have wireless internet at our park. In my humble opinion as an e.mail user and internet dependant, if you advertise something, you should have it and it should be useable. I have finally hired the job out so I will have what I say I have. You want to know what I found out? The man I hired, knows just a little bit more than me. I looked around and this is common. We are still in the "caveman" days as far as wireless goes. I can change out an electrical outlet, dig up and replace a water pipe someone has driven their awning spike through, even deal with a clogged septic pipe, (I've been inside the tank when the clog comes through) but when this aspect of the park has trouble, I'm ignorant. I have the courage to say so. Why don't campers have the same ability? One woman complained about the wireless and didn't want to try anything I had to say so I sent a camper I knew to help her with my suggestions. Guess what, the issue was hers and not mine. Sometimes we have to meet in the middle on things. 20 years from now wireless will be in the air.....everywhere. Life's too short.

Leah J. Leon
McIntosh Lake RV Park
Browzin
Leah J. Leon
I want to say thank you for presenting a campground owners perspective of the wi-fi situation, and at least taking the effort to try and make things operate the way that everyone would like them to.

I am also willing to bet that the majority of RVers are as lost as how to set up and operate a wi-fi system as you are, I know that I am.
Galli
Big Mc, I agree with what you wrote wink.gif , unfortunately we cannot criticize the RV resorts without evaluating with a little grain of salt who's writing the complaint dry.gif .
It is a very difficult to build up an opinion only by reading the reports/complaints submitted.
Notwithstanding the above, there are certain issues that don’t require much interpretation (i.e. if you made and paid for the reservation and when you go there, there is no space or when in the RV pamphlet it is promoted Internet or HiFi and the feature is not there or operational or promoting a quite time at a certain hour and then not taking action when a group of people pretend to party all night… etc) ph34r.gif , well this is a responsibility of the campsite to enforce the rules, if outlined in the pamphlet.
I know that there are difficult campers too but, most of the time , the problems are generated by the facility which are not up to what was promoted in the first place.
In order to be fair for both parties, it would be advisable for the camp owners to review our forum’s evaluations and provide their own comments if they feel that the evaluation submitted was not reflecting the facts.
Yes, I agree, it takes time for the camp owner to review our reports but it is part of conducting a business smile.gif .
In closing, it is more than 3 years that I am spending the Winters in Florida and up to now, I never hit a disgraceful campground , disgraceful enough to ruin my vacation and the secret is that, before committing oneself to a specific place, enquire, enquire and enquire, in our forum, with people that went to that campground before and consider the price too….. A campground charging 6 – 8 dollars per day cannot be in a perfect location and the facilities may be precarious.
I am still of the opinion that this exchange of ideas is healthy for both sides, the camper to be realistic regarding what is expecting to find and for the camp owner to improve their facility if there is some thing basically wrong laugh.gif .
Big Mc
It's me again, the CG owner that does not know much about wifi. Previously in this forum I wrote,
"I have finally hired the job out so I will have what I say I have. You want to know what I found out? The man I hired, knows just a little bit more than me. I looked around and this is common."

As it turns out, I spoke too soon. P.C. Doctors from Savannah Georgia knows alot more than anyone else I spoke to. Not to mention, when things weren't working as they should they came back again and again (better than 60 miles each way) til it was working. They also gave me a 1 year guarantee. No other company was willing to give me more than 30 days. That said alot.

I know I have gone way off topic but I wanted to make sure I retracted what I said because it was wrong. My park has a fabulous wifi system.....and it's free for my guests.

Leah J Leon
McIntosh Lake RV Park
Galli
QUOTE(Big Mc @ Nov 21 2006, 09:18 AM) *

It's me again, the CG owner that does not know much about wifi. Previously in this forum I wrote,
"I have finally hired the job out so I will have what I say I have. You want to know what I found out? The man I hired, knows just a little bit more than me. I looked around and this is common."

As it turns out, I spoke too soon. P.C. Doctors from Savannah Georgia knows alot more than anyone else I spoke to. Not to mention, when things weren't working as they should they came back again and again (better than 60 miles each way) til it was working. They also gave me a 1 year guarantee. No other company was willing to give me more than 30 days. That said alot.

I know I have gone way off topic but I wanted to make sure I retracted what I said because it was wrong. My park has a fabulous wifi system.....and it's free for my guests.

Leah J Leon
McIntosh Lake RV Park

Congratulations CG, I was surprised before when you said that the guy that installed the HI-FI just did only a little bit more than myself. If you hire a reputable company they must know their job in order to remain in business.
Have a nice day
Galli laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
jmwebb
While I don't agree with any name calling, I have to say it is really a shame that Wi Fi and sattelite dishes are so important to people who are CAMPING. I thought the RV/camping lifestyle was at least partially getting away from that junk.
Galli
QUOTE(jmwebb @ Nov 29 2006, 01:41 PM) *

While I don't agree with any name calling, I have to say it is really a shame that Wi Fi and sattelite dishes are so important to people who are CAMPING. I thought the RV/camping lifestyle was at least partially getting away from that junk.

I might agree with you jmwebb if we assume that camping is reserved to vacationers only, ohmy.gif however, I know several people that conduct their business while camping and I heard others that they keep the residence at the campsite smile.gif .
That why I reiterate , it is not important to have the HI-Fi, it is important to provide a true feed-back when promoting the facility so that the RVer. knows exactly what to expect from there. biggrin.gif
mastercraft
Because technology has come so far in a short amount of time, things like wi fi and cell phones allow people to get away from the hectic lifestyle and still be able to conduct business from a campground and still partialy get away and enjoy nature or a new destination without taking time off from work. I wish I could do this, but my job does not allow doing business over the internet.
Cheryl Fuller
We are getting away from it all when rv'ing, but that doesn't include our family. Internet allows our son to send pics of the grandson and for us to have IM chats with several members of our fmaily at one time. It is important to us. We do stay at parks that don' have wi-fi - that would not automatically knock one out of the running, but we stayed at a park in WY that advertised wireless internet. It is true, they did have it, as long as you went and stood right outside the office window, where there was no place to sit. If it is insinuated that they offer it, I expect it to be useable. These things are modern conveniences for us, the same way that a hot shower is. I don't plan on getting away from that either...
gwbischoff

This is my first reply to a post and this topic (while the thread is a little old) caught my eye.

It caught my eye because I too was amazed after reading campground reviews for the first time of how many campgrounds that I was familiar with getting 1's and 2's based *solely* on the WiFi. Even to the point of the rest of the review glowing about the park.

Some of us enjoy the comforts of RV parks and some of us enjoy the "camping experience". I myself fell into that trap of booking a stay in a park that got full high marks from nearly every brochure and magazine that I had seen. And when I showed up, the facilities were nice, but you couldn't wedge a stick of gum between the campsites. It wasn't what I was looking for.

The other thing that struck me was the number of times I ran across the "Staff was very rude" comment. Not that I don't believe that there are rude camping staffs out there (I know that there are.) But I wonder how many of those fights were instigated by indignant campers who think that they own the piece of earth they camp on just 'cause they paid for the night. I've stood by and watched people have a stroke over the fact that the wind was blowing too hard for them and somehow it's the campground's fault. The wind.

I appreciate everyone's input on the reviews. If you're going to post a review, be objective.
rangiebob
My husband and I live full-time in our motor home as of May 2006. We travel around the country for our business and if we didn't have our online connection and cell service, we wouldn't have our business, hence we wouldn't have the money to pay for our motor home and diesel to run it and the luxury of living this wonderful lifestyle! wink.gif

I don't appreciate being referred to as a moron because I check my email every 10 minutes. That's one of the things that has given our company such an excellent reputation, because we get back to people in a timely manner. To each her or his own, but no need to call names because it's not something with which you disagree, rodeo1.
larrylund
QUOTE(woodman @ Oct 14 2006, 03:03 PM) *

Well, hi.

We morons finance our full-time life on the road by working part-time in gifted education, he running the business end of a mathcamp and I teaching writing to gifted kids. All this is via a Datastorm dish which, right now, isn't working worth a rip even though we paid nearly $6K for it and all of its accoutrements less than a year ago. Cell phones complete the gear we must use constantly for work.

If that makes us morons in your book, then I can only hope you find others out here on the road as judgmental of how you must live your life as you are of how we must live ours.

W
dry.gif

A lot of us out here that enjoy RV'ing don't have a 9-5 job and draw a check every week. I'm one of em. I work in sales on commission and staying in contact with my clients while on the raod is a must. A lot of time I need to scan and email a document to be signed so I do need a good wi-fi signal. I guess if calling somone like myself a moron bolsters his ego that's fine. I work with clients like him from time to time. BUT wi-fi is import to more and more folks these days. Bear in mind, we do live in a High Tech era.
popup6
Perhaps the webmaster could add a check box in the review section about Wi Fi being good, fair, poor and let the readers of the review decide for themselves if having a great WI FI connection is important to them.
I pick and choose what I deem is important from the reviews such as campsite size (are you packed in like sardines or have room and privacy) Are the grounds maintained, are the rest rooms clean? staff, ect
igor2brvn
QUOTE(Galli @ Oct 18 2006, 06:32 PM) *

wink.gif Well I cannot agree with the "Moron" definition and lower rating because the campground does not provide specific services, however and in my opinion, there should not be an evaluation by the camper but only a statement on what's available, what's not, and the status of the items identified.
My reason for arriving at this conclusion is because we are human being with different expectations and values and I am pretty sure that if the chat would amend the rating form in which it would be identified specific items that should be compulsory in a campsite and the extra amenities available, the readers of the report would make up his own mind of whether the place is suitable for his,/her or not.
As an example this list should start with size and locations (size; trees or not; whether it is well leveled or...; water, sewage, hydro, TV, Internet.. etc..; cost ..etc... and at the bottom of the list a comment by the evaluator whether the place was clean, functional, staff polite.. etc..
I am not trying to open a competition among members but, I am pretty sure that if the chat moderator would ask the member for assistance in finding the proper questions, we will be glade to help.

tongue.gif

Galli,
Evaluations and opinions of fellow RVers are what I value from this website. Fact sheets from CG owners tell me about facilities and amenities available. What is most helpful to me are opinions from campers who have experienced the campgrounds - accuracy of fact sheets, state of condition of facilities, noise levels, and things that make the campground a camping pleasure. So, fellow campers, keep your opinions and evaluations flowing!
Galli
QUOTE(igor2brvn @ Oct 4 2007, 02:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Galli @ Oct 18 2006, 06:32 PM) *

tongue.gif

Galli,
Evaluations and opinions of fellow RVers are what I value from this website. Fact sheets from CG owners tell me about facilities and amenities available. What is most helpful to me are opinions from campers who have experienced the campgrounds - accuracy of fact sheets, state of condition of facilities, noise levels, and things that make the campground a camping pleasure. So, fellow campers, keep your opinions and evaluations flowing!

I would agree with you 100% if the RV camper feedback is objective ! We are human being and use a different meter in evaluating what we see, however, if I see 3 or 4 reports mention the same thing about a specific campground, I would have no objection in rating the place in line with the submitted reports.
What concerns me is when some one seriously criticizes a campground because it is too close to an highway an/or it takes time before the water warms up in the shower or the grocery store is not open till 11:00pm every day.
Yes I agree those are inconveniences but the campground didn’t promised a 24 hours service and the camper should enquiry before leaving ( by internet or asking in the chats) about the place and whereabouts ; I am not making a judgment but, in general the most convenient places have some reasons for having the price lower than others.
However and notwithstanding the above, if the camp side advertises internet service and when there it is not available or promotes a drive through camping spot and there is only two or three in all camp or campers are parting till 2-3-4 in the morning, I would consider that a very poor organization and I would agree 100% to report the fact on our chats.
Let me clarify some thing now, I AM NOT A CAMPSIDE OWNER and I am not working on their behalf but my objection are dictated by the fact that I visited several camps and several times I was surprised to find a too sever or a too lenient reports than what I actually noticed.
One recommendation that I already made to the moderator was to forward the complaints to the Campsite (without mentioning the name of the complainant) and ask him to defend him/herself by sending his objection, if any, to our chat.
HappiestCamper
I agree if it's advertisied, it better work. But I also see rodeo1's point (somewhat). A state park I go too often seems to always have the same 5th wheel there (a couple in their 30's). They put up their direct tv dish, and you see them once a day - when the go to use the showers. The other 23 1/2 hours they are inside. Why not just stay home at that point?

I agree that it is important to some people to have the Wi-fi, etc. But if you don't enjoy the CG by staying inside the whole trip, why not just setup in your back yard?
Parkview
biggrin.gif Hello all,

Like BigMc, I am also a campground owner, and I regularly visit this awesome site both to see what RVers like and what they don't like. This Wifi question comes up a lot, therefore it is very important to me.

The problem is, from our experience, that all of the issues stated in this forum about Wifi problems are not as easily solved as some might think. We have been working on our system for 5 years, and, after going through 3 different "expert" companies, finally are to the point that we think we have a very good system. Perfect, no, good yes. Having a park in a very beautiful rural area has its advantages and disadvantages. We don't have access to a commercial cable company or a DSL signal from rural telephone cooperative, so we have to access the internet through a satellite feed. This provides challenges that simply do not exist in more urban parks.

I go to this trouble and expense because that is what many customers want and expect, therefore, I want to provide it. With satellite, the quality and availability of broadband signal is directly related to the amount of usage, the type of usage, and how crowded the park is at any particular time as well as some users' habits. When the park is full and there are many rigs between you and the nearest Wifi antenna or repeater, a site that had a perfect signal yesterday for one user may have a lousy signal today for a different user.

Built in wireless antennas in most laptops are not omni directional and are not as strong as USB adapter antennas. We have had people who could not get a usable signal with their built in antenna, but got an excellent signal with a USB extrnal antenna just by putting the antenna next to a window (think of the old days of rabbit ear antennas for TV if you are old enough). Where one sits in an RV can affect the signal; microwave ovens are notorious for interfering with signal strength, metal skinned RVs block wireless signal more than fiberglass skinned ones.

As for quantity and type of usage, satellite broadband providers like Hughes Satellite have a little know policy called the Fair Access Plan (FAP) that few people are aware of. Under FAP after a certain threshold of usage in any given 24 hour period is exceeded, the satellite provider with no warning will cut back the speed of reception to the park until the next day to a speed that is slower than slow dial up service. This FAP threshold depends upon the level of broadband service the Park has purchased. For 3 years we were totally unaware of this policy. The solution was for us to buy more broadband, doubling our monthly ongoing costs for broadband from $100 to $200. This may seem a little inside baseball for most, but do an internet search for "Fair Access Plan" and it will be explained far better than I can.

Believe me, we want to provide what you want, but it not always as easy or as inexpensive as some in this forum seem to think. In some ways I envy the more urban park owners who do not have these problems, but I would not trade the beauty of this rural location for the convenience of a more urban setting.

Thanks for letting me harp a little, and I don't think any of you are morons. Doug
Texasrvers
I would like to thank Doug for his view. I have been following several threads that address wifi, pay showers, KOA's services, etc., and I think he explained the park owner's position very well. He sounds like he cares about his clientele and wants to provide the services they want. However, there is always more than one side to a problem, and I think he has presented some things for us to keep in mind. I am sure some owners just don't care, but we need to be mindful that those that do care sometimes have valid reasons for not being able to provide the services most of us expect.

I also enjoyed Doug's reply on another thread about "free services." We prefer for there to be one price with all the extras built in even though we probably won't use all those services. This is just simpler than trying to pay a base fee and then picking your amenities like an ala carte menu, and I'm sure it is easier for an owner to keep up with who is using what.

Now, HappiestCamper, why do you care whether or not your neighbors stay in their RV 23 1/2 hours a day? They obviously do not camp the way you do, but so what. Would you rather have the group mentioned recently in the KOA thread next to you?
HappiestCamper
QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Oct 7 2007, 05:31 PM) *

Now, HappiestCamper, why do you care whether or not your neighbors stay in their RV 23 1/2 hours a day? They obviously do not camp the way you do, but so what. Would you rather have the group mentioned recently in the KOA thread next to you?

Doesn't bother me at all - they paid for the site, and they're not bothering anybody. I'm just wondering why someone like this would go to the trouble of moving a fifth wheel to the campground, when they could get the same experience just by sitting in it in their backyard?

Kind of like going to Disney World and staying in the hotel room all day laugh.gif
Motorhome Madness
QUOTE(HappiestCamper @ Oct 8 2007, 05:31 AM) *

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Oct 7 2007, 05:31 PM) *

Doesn't bother me at all - they paid for the site, and they're not bothering anybody. I'm just wondering why someone like this would go to the trouble of moving a fifth wheel to the campground, when they could get the same experience just by sitting in it in their backyard?

Kind of like going to Disney World and staying in the hotel room all day laugh.gif

We sometimes take the kids to my parents and camp out in a nearby campground. You said they are in their 30's so it's likely they may be up to the same thing.
HappiestCamper
QUOTE(Webmaster @ Oct 8 2007, 10:53 AM) *

We sometimes take the kids to my parents and camp out in a nearby campground. You said they are in their 30's so it's likely they may be up to the same thing.

Good point.
Texasrvers
HappiestCamper,

Sorry. I guess I came on a little strong. I suppose I was defensive because staying inside the RV sounded a bit like us. We stay at both campgrounds and RV parks, but we are not your traditional "campers." We basically use our motor home as a rolling hotel room. When we stay for a few days in an area most of our time is spent sight seeing. We leave in the morning and don't return until late in the evening. We are so tired that we just grab a bite to eat and fall into bed. We don't cook on a grill or sit outside around a fire. If we did we would probably fall asleep and let the fire burn out of control. laugh.gif In our instance we may not be outside enjoying the campground, but what we're doing sure beats sitting on our driveway.

Also the webmaster may have figured out what's happening. Sounds like the couple is getting a little "quality together time." wink.gif
rodeo2
o.k

i apologize for the moron comment. i too like to check my e-mail from time to time. i had just returned from a trip where i stayed at some really nice parks that i then read reviews on. people had reviewed the park at a one or two because they couldn't get good wi fi. one park didn't even offer it but was hammered because they didn't have it.

i too believe if a park offeres it then it should be there. but still! rate the entire park, don't rate a fine park 2 just because you couldn't get on the wi fi. the next person may be looking for a nice park and pass it up because you gave it a 2.

please excuse this old cowboy, 20 years in law enforcement, listening to every kind of bitching imaginable sort of crept up on me.

rodeo
Texasrvers
I'm just curious. Are rodeo1 and rodeo2 the same person? I ask because rodeo1 started a huge discussion when he called people morons for wanting to use the internet when they're camping. Then yesterday in another thread (What do you expect in a campground) he insulted big rig owners by saying they were the biggest bitchers. Now today rodeo2 apologized for the moron comment and admitted that even he uses the internet (gasp ohmy.gif ). So I was just wondering if rodeo1 has suddenly changed his thoughts or if someone else has apologized for him. (BYT I actually agree that you should not slam a park just because it does not have internet access--just like I don't think you should slam people when you disagree with their viewpoint.)
rodman
I just read that post you are referring to. I think this guy is a tent camper and doesn't like anyone who has anything bigger, of course I'll get blasted for sayin that. The places he refers to are nice places but the sites are small.

Just my opinion,
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.