Date of Stay: October, 2006
We stayed 4 nights and enjoyed every minute. The only negative was the Internet service could be slow or unresponsive at times because it was satellite (DirecWay) into the campground versus DSL or cable. The only other issue was when we tried to extend our stay, the office didn't seem able to or didn't try very hard to accommodate us but this was our fault and not the campground. We will definitely be back.
Date of Stay: July, 2006
The campground is located adjacent to and behind a somewhat run-down looking motel. Most of the RV sites close to the entrance appeared to be seasonals. For our one night stay we were escorted by golf cart around some pretty tight corners and trees for our 35' rig to an area well away from the road behind the motel. This looked to be a recently cleared area of about 8 sites for the shorter stays. The full hook-up utilities appeared new and in good shape. That was until we plugged in our electric cord to the pedestal and our voltage monitor showed that there was no ground connection. I called the front office and they sent someone out to check the wiring. Once the pedestal was opened I could see that the ground wires from the 30-amp outlets were connected to the electrical box but the box was not grounded to anything! I explained that this was a safety issue and did not meet electric code but the employee insisted because nobody else had complained that it was not a problem. I called the front office and spoke to who I believe was the owner. He insisted the electric hook-up met code and that the problem was with our RV. I explained that without a proper ground, if anything in our rig shorted out, or the rig that shared our electric pedestal, that our whole RV would become electrified. After getting nowhere I requested a refund and was told "there are no campground refunds". At that point I told him that we were pulling out rather than risk being electrocuted. I also told him I was going to dispute the charge on my credit card and report the issue to the local building inspector. At this point he began yelling at and threatening me. I did speak to the inspector after they had a chance to investigate the problem. It is my understanding that the electrical hook-ups did not meet code and that the work had been done without the required permits and inspections. He also stated the campground was now working to correct the problem. In the end I came to appreciate my voltage monitor and the other campground personnel I've dealt with that still understand customer service. Unfortunately this is severely lacking at Surf Motel.