Nearby Delta, Alabama (Air Miles)
Cheaha Mtn
Cheaha State Park
2014-03-31 15:15:23
Delta, Alabama
March 2014

yes  question  no  question  yes  question  no  question  yes  yes
yes  question  no  question  no  question  no  question  yes  yes
March 2014
Wi-Fi does not work, no cell phone signal. I was there after an ice storm and there was plenty of wood to burn. Clean up had started but was going to take a while. Staff was friendly. After dark check-in was good. The park ranger even comes to campground to help out if needed. Huge up and down hills getting to park. Make sure your rig is in good mechanical shape before going. Smoky Mountains has less steep grades than this place. Great to get kids away from electronics and into nature. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
I've been camping at Mnt Cheaha for 30 years. There is a campground on top of the mountain and one at the base. The top campground is where I've always gone, is usually quiet, and the pull throughs have very large sites with a fire ring. Some of the back-ins have large sites and some are on top of the next. But all-in-all is a very nice campground. The one at the base of the mountain is another story. There is a new group running the camps and appear to be trying but has been been completely confused every time I've gone up this past year. One time they told me they could reserve a specific site then the next they couldn't. The last time I was told I had site 34 which is a very nice pull-through. I get there and I'm told that I've been placed in the lower campground. I go to the site and it isn't big enough for my fifth wheel and the door is actually in the road. I ended up moving to a larger site and going back to tell them. When I get there it is obvious they have no idea where anyone is and what is available. The lower campground requires a very sharp left hand turn to go through a concrete entrance. I had to back up twice to make it through and not run over the curb. The sites are run down and when it rains (and it did several times) some of the sites are under water and the road has low places. If you are planning on coming to Cheaha, and I encourage you to, make sure you are at the top campground and not the bottom! We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
Rate was 27.50, as we were there over the weekend. During the week, seniors get a 15% discount. Very bumpy paved roads in the campground. The sites were gravel/grass. We had no problem finding a level site, but we're only 22'. Lots of trees and good shade. As others have said, our cell phone and Wi-Fi (Verizon/AT&T) didn't work. Their Wi-Fi didn't work for us either. Pretty crude shower facilities. Lots of hiking trails. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for Cheaha State Park