Nearby Why, Arizona (Air Miles)
Shadow Ridge Rv
Arizona
Why
Coyote Howls
2013-10-02 22:30:38
Why, Arizona
October 2013

October 2013
This is a no-services park in the Sonoran Desert. There are several water spigots to fill your tank, there are dumps stations, and there are showers. Long term, it is very inexpensive, something like 500 dollars per year, and many people have set up solar arrays for their power and live here for years. As someone who has dropped by going to and from Mexico, I found it perfect for our needs--dump, take on water, take a shower, and check email. The sites are huge; you'd need binoculars to peer into your neighbor's window, but it's much more interesting to watch the coyotes, wild burrows, and birds. Unless you park right by the road, the noise is minimal, and since there's really nowhere to go at night, from midnight to 6 a.m. (when the border is closed), it's dead quiet. The current camp host runs a tight ship, it seems--no off-leash dogs or noisy campers. There are many, many planned activities, none of which I took advantage of, but it looked like a fun, casual place. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
February 2013

yes  no  question  yes  yes  question  yes  yes  question  yes
yes  no  question  yes  yes  question  yes  yes  yes  yes
February 2013
This is probably our fourth year staying at Hickiwan Trails RV Park and find this park is still on our “A-list” of places to stay in Arizona. We try to spend at least a week here with the friends we travel with and an $85 weekly price with full hookups, who can beat that? In another post, it was said that the long time husband and wife managers have moved on but that is only half true as one of them still manages the park, and she still has a wonderful attitude. It was also said that the park looked shabby and rundown, but we found it clean, weed free, restrooms, showers and laundromat clean and in good order. I ride my UTV right out of the park into the desert. I hope the previous comment poster comes back again to see that the park is in fine shape. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
September 2012
I've stayed at Hickiwan many times over the past few years and have always considered it one of the true gems of my travels. Sadly, that's no longer the case. The longtime manager and his wife have moved on and their expertise and friendly manner have so far not been replaced. RV parks often take on the character of their managers, and this one definitely did. At this point, however, there is no one even taking care of the basic day-to-day chores, and the park has deteriorated rapidly. It looks shabby and rundown. There are piles of junk everywhere, the bathrooms and laundry are filthy, and the weeds have practically taken over the place. The WiFi is hit-and-miss. On the plus side, the surrounding desert is still wild and remote, a haven of solitude and stark beauty. I hiked out there nearly every day of my stay. The rates can hardly be beat. It's $285/month includes electricity. I'll probably stay here again, because I'm an old desert rat and I don't care so much for them new-fangled city RV parks. I like the location, too. You have to drive on past "nowhere" just to get here. But it's just not the same as it was. A pity. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
February 2012
We spent two weeks here. Great place for a base while visiting Organ Pipe. Full hook ups and very friendly staff. Great hiking and you may even see wild burros on your walk. You will, for sure hear them at night. Nice, out of the way place to stay. This was our second visit and we will return next year. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for Hickiwan Trails RV Park