Nearby Larkspur, Colorado (Air Miles)
Colorado Heights Camping Resort-19575 Monument Hill Rd
Larkspur
Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park at Larkspur
2013-11-04 21:25:12
Larkspur, Colorado

question  question  question  question  yes  yes  yes  yes  yes  question
question  question  question  question  yes  yes  yes  yes  question  question
First, we are Huge Jellystone park fans. Have been for decades. The owners of this campground are super friendly and we enjoyed their hospitality. This campground just doesn't seem as groomed as others we have visited. The sites seem wedged into the sloping terrain, and heaven help you should it rain (a regular occurrence) as this place will get muddy fast. While there are a number of activities advertised at the campground, they do not live up to the Jellystone norm. Where most parks have a large common hall for movies and activities, this location has a caboose, which was much too small. While we did watch a VHS movie on their small TV, a movie on the big screen in my coach would have been a better experience. This park is famours for having a busy train track running along it's eastern edge. The trains never blew a whistle and were never a disturbance. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Easy to get to, right by the freeway, but not loud. It actually feels like you're in the forest even though you're in the middle of the city. Staff was friendly at check in and around the park. Biggest complaint and the reason I wouldn't stay here again, is the hills. Most of the sites appeared small and some would require backing downhill into your spot. The escort taking me to my site drove the golf cart up the huge hill so slow that just before I reached the top I lost traction and couldn't make it over the top, I had to back down the hill and come up with more speed to make it. Trees were so close in the spots that an awning couldn't be put out, but there is enough shade that it isn't needed. There wasn't a lot of choices in this area and this one was ok, would stay here again if we had to. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
If you are going here to see Yogi Bear then it is fine... otherwise, I'd find somewhere else. The activities described on the website did not even come close in real life. The "slide" is some plastic on a hill into a mud puddle. The pool was ok, but small and did not seem heated. The fishing pond is only ok, if it is your first time fishing. Movie night is a 27" TV and a VHS tape. None of the other activities were scheduled while we were there. Fire department removed most fire rings. The staff was friendly. Renting a golf cart was a big hit. Disc golf was fun. Yogi was fun. Dog park was nice. The site you get is going to affect your opinion of this park a lot. It is on a pretty good sized hill with spots carved out wherever they could. Anywhere up the hill has lots of trees and are well separated. Some sites are big with easy parking and others are very narrow with difficult parking. At the bottom of the hill it is pretty open but most of the spots seemed cramped. We were in 110, which was narrow, but is the last site before a road so it felt big. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park at Larkspur