Nearby Sopchoppy, Florida (Air Miles)
Wakulla Springs State P
Sopchoppy, Florida

yes  yes  yes  yes  yes  question  yes  question  yes  yes
yes  yes  yes  yes  yes  question  yes  question  yes  yes
March 2014
Fabulous campground. Very small, about 30 sites and those 30 sites had the park to themselves in March. The sites are simply wonderful. They are all different with many of them being immense. There were about 10 sites which were not directly on the river, but you could see the river from your site when you stood up. Paths went directly to the river and a wonderful trail located up and down the river. White squirrels were there and the site itself is very well kept and restrooms spotless. The park has a number of other walking trails with lots of birds. Each site had a nice campfire, picnic table and grill and many had posts and a clothesline to hang wet clothes. There were canoe and kayak rentals. This campground is pretty isolated but it is 20-25 minutes from a great BBQ and seafood restaurant and 45 minutes form St. Marks Wildlife Visitor center. We will be back again. Loved it.( one of our top 10 campsites). Be careful with the campsites and look at pictures because a few of these sites you could not get a camper in because of trees. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
March 2014
I cannot recommend this park as big-rig friendly, unless you don't mind scratching large sections of your coach with tree branches as you enter. Folks with large 5th wheel rigs told me they agreed. The entry gate and street around the ranger station were extremely narrow. This park does have a lot of qualities, though. It was nice and quiet, being a long way from the nearest road. It had driving and walking trails that were nice, except when it rained incessantly, which it did for two days during my stay. There were a lot of birds and other wildlife to keep my wife happy, including the previously-mentioned white squirrels and albino deer. Interior roads were dirt with lots of potholes. Sites were dirt but fairly level. Spacing between sites was good. The 30-amp power and water were strong, and there were tables and fire pits at each site. The rangers were friendly. One of them came to our site very quickly to repair the broken faucet. The bathrooms were old, but clean. The showers had a bench and hook far from the stall, but no shelf in the shower for shampoo. I hate that! My rating is based on the problems I had due to my RV's size, but for folks with smaller units who enjoy the state park experience this could easily rate an 8 or 9. We camped here in a Motorhome.
May 2013
I often visit St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge (NWR) that is a reasonable drive down the road, and I sometimes visit this state park as well. This was my first stay there in a Travel Trailer. I found access to be tight. I was lucky that I selected a campsite that I could easily back into. There were some that would have been a challenge for my 19.5' trailer. What I really liked about this park were the pines trees and the walking path along the river. They have kayaks and boats that are for rent and a great floating dock. What really amazed me were the white squirrels. I saw two while staying there. Please note that the regular rate is $18, but I received a FL Senior Discount of $9.00. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
Display older reviews for Ochlockonee River State Park

yes (River)
March 2014
This is a hidden gem of a campground located at the Sopchoppy city park. The sites near the entrance road have FHU's and the river sites are water/elec. only. It's quiet, clean, seldom busy and first come/first served. All the state parks were booked so I came here. I was the only one here for two days! There is a shower room that was moderately clean. Open fires are permitted. Bird watching trails are on site. Since there are no reservations, come pick your spot and the friendly host will stop by to collect your fee. It may be cash and/or check only. Also, there is no laundry on site or nearby. IGA grocery is in town. There is a boat ramp and fishing pier on site. It looks like an excellent place to canoe and kayak. This place is unmarked on Google or other campground websites. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.