206561 User submitted reviews online!!
Nearby Hunter Army Airfield, Georgia (Air Miles)
Armstrong Atlantic State
Carey Hilliards Restauran
South College
7805 Abercorn St
Bacon Park Golf Course
Sams Club?I-516:3 3609-A Ogeechee (Located To Block)
Wormsloe State Historic
Freightliner Of Savannah 8003355066
El Cheapo
Georgia
Hunter Army Airfield
Lotts Island Army Airfield RV Park (Military Camping Only)
2013-07-17 20:26:07
Hunter Army Airfield, Georgia

question  no
question  no
This place is a mud hole when in rains! When the sun's out and it drys up some, it's fairly attractive. They have 16 sites. A "few" homesteaders is probably quite an understatement. Also, the fact that it's mostly pull-throughs with a few back-ins is reversed, in my opinion. We came for 4 nights with a reservation. All the nice sites (and pull-throughs) were taken by long-term campers (all but one locals). It had been raining for days and we were stuck with the last back-in that you could walk from the dinghy to the RV. There were 2 other sites left when we parked. The other 13 were mostly locals and looked like they had "set up for the summer." Whatever anyone says about a 14-day limit it is obviously not enforced. Maybe that means you can come in every 14 days and pay for the next 14 days. One other RV showed up while we were there and took a back-in that was under water when it was raining. Since that was a 42 to 45 foot coach, he wouldn't have had a place to park if we had taken that one. No showers, laundry, WiFi, etc; bare bones camping. Yes, they have cable, and that's great because the trees block satellite; but, I only found 37 channels. With public access and duplicates; maybe 10 to 15. Lest this sound completely negative, I was glad to have a place with full-hookups in Savannah for $22 a night. The electric was good, the water had good pressure, and our Verizon phones and MiFi worked great. I enjoy staying on-post, inside the gate and security checks. I would come here again. Finally, I'm not sure how they manage reservations. We made one, but they've been closed the whole time we've been here. If a "drop in" takes the last site; what about your reservation? I don't know how that works. There's only one site left now and they're still closed. What if a drop in takes it and someone had a reservation? An on-site host would be nice. We camped here in a Motorhome.
March 2012
This is a decent Famcamp with some exceptions. It has no bathroom/shower facilities nor does it have a laundry. The sites are dirt/gravel and relatively level. MWR needs to spend some money to upgrade it that part, but they have very nice new hookups with double water spigots and 50/30 and sewer at every site. It's heavily wooded, with 50% of the sites pull through and the others are back in. It's not really regulated as to who gets what, but did see a small TT move out of a pull through to accommodate a large fiver that was not going to be able to back in due to the trees, so I think folks take care of each other as you would expect. There are no signs that indicate the turn to the Famcamp, but you can see if from the Rio gate. You will need to have a valid DOD sticker on your TV or MH/TOAD to use that gate, otherwise a temporary pass can be issued at Montgomery Gate. Their is no host, and you need to pay at the MWR office about 2 miles away. The staff there were really nice and helpful, and we got a discount off the normal 25 to 18 with our America the Beautiful pass. So for $18, it's a great deal to see Savannah. I highly recommend reservations, the slots were all full when we arrived. They do enforce the 14 day max stay, so that makes it nice for everyone, especially with only 16 sites. It's a work in progress, but I would stay again. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.