220830 User submitted reviews online!!
Nearby Naval Station Great Lakes, Illinois (Air Miles)
Finch University Of Heal
Egg Harbor Cafe - Highwoo
Deerpath Golf Course
Barat College
Six Flags Great America
Sams Club?I-94:69A 6570 Grand Ave (Located To Block)
Wal-Marti-94:69A 6590 Grand Ave (Located To Block)
Tavern In The Town
Froggy's
Gabriel'S - Highwood
Carlos'
Del Rio
Pine Meadow Golf Club
Sams Club 335 N Milwaukee Ave (Located To Block)
Country Squire - Graysla
Tonelli's
Don Roth's
Francesca'S North
Truckstops Of America
Sams Club 1055 Mchenry Rd (Located To Block)
Buffalo Grove Golf Cour
Palm Court - Arlington H
Pleasant Home Mansion
Illinois
Naval Station Great Lakes
Great Lakes Naval Base Training Center (Military Camping Only)
2014-07-02 16:59:52
Naval Station Great Lakes, Illinois

2   4   8   8   8   8   7   9   6
no  no  question  yes  yes  yes  yes  yes  question
yes  no  question  yes  yes  yes  yes  yes  question
First the only thing this has is the view of Lake Michigan. It's right on the lakefront. Problems: The check in process at the hotel is a joke. After three years they should have it down. Asked on the phone for a particular site and was told we don't reserve sites. Asked about a site when booking in and was told that it was reserved! Which is it? Got to the site and someone was in it. Assigned another and there was a heavy (very) picnic table on the pad. Seems the grass cutting crew put them there and never put them back. It had rained and some of the sites were flooded. Was told it happens whenever there is heavy rain. So step out the door into mud. This place could be a jewel if management would get a grip. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Only positive thing about this place is the view (on the lake) and the price. Facilities not clean, had to travel to the gym for a shower. Muddy not level back in sights. The hosts were not present. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
July 2012
Management changed last month from the Marina to the Gateway Inn & Suites. Check-in is required at the Inn Building 62. Address for GPS is 2423 MacDonough Dr., Great Lakes, Illinois, 60088. The Inn's staff are still learning about a RV & Campground operations. ( They have a long way to go.) However they gave us a base map and coupons for several locations to eat on the base. We were assigned to a lot #20, however the power plug in the box was mounted upside down and couldn't install our power surge protector. Called the Inn front desk and clerk wasn't sure it was "legal" for me to install a power surge protector. She had me call the clerk on the Marina before she would consider letting me change lots. Before I called her back I checked the other open lots and 2 others had the plug installed upside down. She did finally allow me to move lots but told me forms she gave me at registration clearly stated we weren't allowed to move to a different lot. That I would have to take my chances if I moved. I took my chances. Verizon Wireless coverage was outstanding--max Bars. The roads leading to the RV park & campground are steep. As reported by others the view of the Lake is outstanding. The beaches were closed the first couple of days because of rip tide currents. The beach is 1/4 mile walk or drive. I'd stay here again for sure. We had come to Illinois for a Family Reunion. There are a lot of great places to eat in the area. Several people had previously stated Gate 4/5 were to be use for RV and campers. We used Gate 1, the best way to arrive is via Illinois Route 137 from either I-294 or US 41. Follow Route 137 east until you get to the Northwestern Railroad overpass then go under the pass, stay in the right lane, turn right and take the 1st right into Gate 1. Once inside the Gate it's like Marching Left Right Left, the guard told us to building 62 Take 1st Left Turn then the 1st Right Turn after that then straight until T Junction then another left the Gateway Inn is about 1 block down on the Right. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
Display older reviews for Great Lakes Naval Base Training Center (Military Camping Only)