206705 User submitted reviews online!!
Nearby Naval Station Great Lakes, Illinois (Air Miles)
Finch University Of Heal
Egg Harbor Cafe - Highwoo
Deerpath Golf Course
Barat College
Six Flags Great America
Sams Club?I-94:69A 6570 Grand Ave (Located To Block)
Wal-Marti-94:69A 6590 Grand Ave (Located To Block)
Tavern In The Town
Froggy's
Gabriel'S - Highwood
Carlos'
Del Rio
Pine Meadow Golf Club
Sams Club 335 N Milwaukee Ave (Located To Block)
Country Squire - Graysla
Tonelli's
Don Roth's
Francesca'S North
Truckstops Of America
Sams Club 1055 Mchenry Rd (Located To Block)
Buffalo Grove Golf Cour
Palm Court - Arlington H
Pleasant Home Mansion
Illinois
Naval Station Great Lakes
Great Lakes Naval Base Training Center (Military Camping Only)
2012-07-29 18:36:33
Naval Station Great Lakes, Illinois

8   8   8   8   7   9   6
question  yes  yes  yes  yes  yes  question
question  yes  yes  yes  yes  yes  question
July 2012
Management changed last month from the Marina to the Gateway Inn & Suites. Check-in is required at the Inn Building 62. Address for GPS is 2423 MacDonough Dr., Great Lakes, Illinois, 60088. The Inn's staff are still learning about a RV & Campground operations. ( They have a long way to go.) However they gave us a base map and coupons for several locations to eat on the base. We were assigned to a lot #20, however the power plug in the box was mounted upside down and couldn't install our power surge protector. Called the Inn front desk and clerk wasn't sure it was "legal" for me to install a power surge protector. She had me call the clerk on the Marina before she would consider letting me change lots. Before I called her back I checked the other open lots and 2 others had the plug installed upside down. She did finally allow me to move lots but told me forms she gave me at registration clearly stated we weren't allowed to move to a different lot. That I would have to take my chances if I moved. I took my chances. Verizon Wireless coverage was outstanding--max Bars. The roads leading to the RV park & campground are steep. As reported by others the view of the Lake is outstanding. The beaches were closed the first couple of days because of rip tide currents. The beach is 1/4 mile walk or drive. I'd stay here again for sure. We had come to Illinois for a Family Reunion. There are a lot of great places to eat in the area. Several people had previously stated Gate 4/5 were to be use for RV and campers. We used Gate 1, the best way to arrive is via Illinois Route 137 from either I-294 or US 41. Follow Route 137 east until you get to the Northwestern Railroad overpass then go under the pass, stay in the right lane, turn right and take the 1st right into Gate 1. Once inside the Gate it's like Marching Left Right Left, the guard told us to building 62 Take 1st Left Turn then the 1st Right Turn after that then straight until T Junction then another left the Gateway Inn is about 1 block down on the Right. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
July 2012
We often stay here. It's a wonderful site except there are no water or sewer hook ups. Both are available at the marina along with toilets and showers about 3/4 mile along the lakefront. There is a beach house with toilets and shower as well, but the Marina is nicer. They need to do something about the electric as there seems to be only a 200 amp service and voltage is always low (108v was seen at times). There is always talk about expanding and installing full hook-ups but this is the Navy and everything takes forever to get done. Note that the reservations are now taken by the Navy Gateway Inn on base NOT the Marina. Phone # is 847-688-6675 24 hour service. Make sure you emphasize RV Park and not "camping" because that is tent camping at a different site. We camped here in a Motorhome.
September 2010
Lucky enough to get their only 50 Amp spot. Great location for visiting Chicago area. Outstanding view of Lake Michigan. More 50 Amp and sewer connection would be a great improvement to an already great small park. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for Great Lakes Naval Base Training Center (Military Camping Only)