206648 User submitted reviews online!!
Nearby Secor, Illinois (Air Miles)
Eureka College
Secor
Hickory Hill Campground
2013-08-15 19:09:29
Secor, Illinois

question  yes  question  question  yes  question  question  question  question  question
Good check-in and we were led to the site. Had a pull-through site for one night. Our site was not level, narrow and close to other units. Looks like there were several units parked here for the summer. A good overnight stop as there are not many places to stop on I-39 between Bloomington and Rockford. We camped here in a Motorhome.
The front desk is great. The sites are a little close but they are fine. Shooting range next door is the only drawback. It kind of bothered me for the first hour but after that I forgot about it, and I was right next door to the range. If you think this will bother you when you call, request a site on the other side of the campground. I brought my own wood and nothing was said. Have fun and happy camping. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
April 2013
I scored Hickory Hills at a 7 simply because of their front office staff (they get an 11 in my book!). We needed a port in a (wind) storm and we called the office late on a Friday and asked if they had a 50-amp site available for a two night stay to allow the 25-30 mph winds to die down on our way to Joliet. The lady in the office said it had been a long, hard day and she was just leaving to go home, but would be more than happy to come back over to the office to check us in if we would just call her cell number when we arrived. We arrived an hour later and she could not have been more helpful. She didn’t act “put out” by our last minute check-in or the fact that it was cold. They aren’t a Good Sam property, but she gave us the 10% discount anyway. They escorted us to our site and made sure we were all set before leaving. Here’s why I can’t give them higher than a 7, however: the fantastic front office staff just can’t make up fully for the quality of the sites. The overnight pull-throughs are not level at all and are very narrow. I’m glad that it wasn’t a busy weekend because if there had been a camper on the left and right of us, there would have been barely enough room to sit at the picnic table between the slides of each motorhome. The long-term sites are pretty large –that is certainly where their bread-and-butter is made. Some reviewers have commented on the shooting range next door. The overnight sites are on the very edge of the property immediately next to the road going to the range. We didn’t hear any gunfire while there at all, but it was the weekend of their annual community fish fry (awesome fish!) at the range, so maybe they weren’t in operation. We probably wouldn't make this a destination, but we were certainly glad it was available to us this weekend. We would stay here again under the same circumstances. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for Hickory Hill Campground