Nearby Peru, Indiana (Air Miles)
Gallahan Oil Co
Honey Bear Hollow
2013-09-03 23:24:03
Peru, Indiana

4   5   5   9   10   8   3   4
question  question  yes  yes  yes  yes  yes  question
question  question  question  yes  yes  yes  yes  question
May 2013
My husband and I were searching for a campground and visited here to get information. We did not actually camp here so that is why my answers were marked as "don't know". I also have no idea what their nightly rate is, as I would never camp there. When we walked in the campground store/office, we had to ask for someone to talk to. The person was not extremely friendly. When we asked about golf carts being allowed, we were rather rudely advised that they are NOT allowed because they aren't needed - everything is within walking distance. We noticed, however, that there were 3 golf carts parked out front - possibly for staff use. As I have a bad knee, walking is not always easy. I definitely got the impression that the person we spoke with could care less whether we camped there or not - so we left. From what little we were able to see, the campground did look very clean and well kept. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
May 2013
This is an average campground. Only 30 amp and no sewer was available. The place needed a good landscaping, and grass needs mowing. The owner was a little grouchy; not too bad but just a little. No WiFi or Verizon phone service either. Roads and sites are not paved, all gravel. It's an average place, not upscale but far from being a bad place. For the $23, it was an ok place. If in the area again, I would check out other parks to see what others might have to offer. We camped here in a Motorhome.
June 2012
OK park. Owners/staff are not too friendly. Really felt like I was interrupting something important when checking in. Be prepared to pay extra for AC use. Bathrooms clean, but got a good chuckle with the signs posted in front of each urinal and in the stalls telling me how to do my business; detailed all the way down to what order to do it all in. The chuckle was because they were serious, these weren't posted here as a joke. Campground did not come across as very kid friendly either. Could be wrong, but that's just the impression we got. Definitely not a destination park and probably won't return, nor can I recommend. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for Honey Bear Hollow
April 2013

April 2013
A previous review from 2012 is inaccurate. I am one of the "permanent resident campers" that was referred to in that review. While some of the review is correct, there are some areas that could stand to be cleaned up, the reviewer could not possibly have toured the entire campground and gone on top of the hill where the majority of permanent campers are located. The campers there are NOT rundown and in fact have decks and decorations that are beautiful. This campground does not have a restriction, as some do, for the age of the camper. There are campers ranging from brand new 2013's to much older, however they are NOT rundown. There IS a swimming pool up on the hill and there are many sites with trees. Pets are DEFINITELY welcome as are children. There are sites that a larger camper could indeed "pull through" with no difficulty whatsoever. The staff is very friendly and helpful in getting new campers set up. The resident campers are extremely friendly and welcome new campers, permanent or weekender. The sections for tent campers are all mowed and under trees and a shower house is readily accessible. This campground is a wonderful place to spend a weekend or an entire camping season! There are trails through the wooded areas that golf carts can travel or they can be hiked without problems. If you are looking for a FRIENDLY, welcoming place to relax and enjoy camping, this place is definitely one I would recommend! We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
June 2012
Campground has long winding gravel road through the trees to get to check in. No 50 AMP. Sewer hookups were just an open 3 inch PVC pipe. Very few sites available and most were to tight among trees to get into. Most campsites are permanent residents with extremely run down campers. Park is scattered with all kinds of debris and looks like a dump. Would not stay here again and would suggest avoiding this campground. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.

yes  question  yes  question  yes  yes  yes  yes  question  yes
yes  question  yes  question  question  yes  yes  yes  question  yes
Rate reflects $5 entrance fee to the park. Not all sites have water hook ups but there is a place to fill tanks on the road from the entrance. We were there on a Tuesday and the park was very quiet. The sites are fairly close together so I can see how it could be crowded and noisy on the weekends. There are several restrooms with showers and several more that just have vault toilets. The restroom near our site #159 was very clean, but could use some updating. We would stay here again. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
September 2012
$30+
This park is an excellent park. We took our grandsons for an extended weekend. The park is very clean, the sites are very nice, lots of things to do with in the park, trails, great swimming beach with a very nice store/snack stand, playgrounds, horse shoes, volley ball. I will stay there many times again. We camped here in a Motorhome.
September 2012
We have camped here many times for weekend get a ways since it is close to home. The actual campground is at Miami State Recreational area as a part of the Mississinewa reservoir complex. Be sure not to confuse it with the private campground below the dam. What other reviewers have said are on the mark except to my surprise there is now WI-FI available to most of the campsites. The broadcast antennae are mounted on the water tower so the closer the site is to the water tower the stronger the signal. The lake is strictly a flood control reservoir so be aware that water levels can fluctuate. Reservations are available via Reserve America. Weekends are busy and the full hook up sites are almost always full well ahead of the weekend so plan accordingly. The comfort stations are clean but could use an upgrade. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
Display older reviews for Mississinewa Lake