206873 User submitted reviews online!!
Nearby Terre Haute, Indiana (Air Miles)
Sheldon Swope Art Museum
Fowler Park Pioneer Log
Runyan'S Black Angus
Indiana State University
Farrington House
The Beaver House
Saint Mary-Of-The-Woods
Rea Park
Sams Club 4350 S Us Hwy 41 (Located To Block)
Rose-Hulman Institute Of

7   6   6   8   9   7
question  question  yes  yes  yes  yes
question  question  yes  yes  yes  yes
September 2012
We stayed three nights. Very small spaces, had to go out and move my truck for they could come in with a motor home. Really not a place to park tow truck. Lots are really close together a picnic table can fit in between. Could never get cable to work. WIFI worked for me but not wife's computer. Couldn't put dish up a lot of trees, trees not bad really. The people where nice that checked us, when they finally got to the desk, we arrived at three pm. It took for ever to get checked in. If I was to stay another three nights I'D find another place, I would stay one night if I had to. 1st KOA I stayed in and they do want to nickel and dime you. My guests drove in, picked us up and the owner didn't say any thing, but the owner didn't see it, either. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
May 2012
We were just overnighting, and always prefer a state/county/local park to a commercial one. Well, until now. Very friendly (but rather too chatty) host apologized for the state of some of the campsites when we got here. Then he proceeded to place us (in an otherwise empty park) smack-dab in the middle of a 3-RV party group. Our site was literally inside the party lights circle. So, back we went to ask for a different site. Took that one and, after 2 tours of the very leafy campground, realized that there were a number of homeless families living here. So, that's what he was referring to when we checked in. We were left counting our blessings. You are not allowed to leave water hose hooked up, so fill up before you get settled. We ended up not taking a hike in the morning, and just leaving, but it did look like there were trails. But everything is very overgrown and any kind of height (over 10') will scrape the trees. Price is right, though. We camped here in a Motorhome.
May 2011
On this review I will be judging the campground and my experience in it. The campground is part of a county park and the area here is quite large and includes nice hiking trails around the lake and surrounding wooded area and on the dam on the south side of the lake. The trails are well maintained, wide and family friendly. The lake is stocked and we saw a number of people fishing, with positive results! While there is no access to a pool here there is a lake with a beach that allows swimming and has a lifeguard during the summer months. On the south side of the park is access to a city trail that is several miles long for walkers and cyclists to use. The campground area also features a playground with a few things for the children as well as two shower houses. The one we used, closest to the entrance, was clean and usually empty; we never waited during our stay. The campground does not have water hookups at each campsite but the water faucet was very close to ours so we placed a splitter on it and left our camper connected with the permission of the staff, who is very friendly here. The two problems we ran into were the shower houses were closed for more than 24 hours consecutively during our stay, and there is a problem with leaving at night. The park closes at 10, and we had to leave for a sick family member and found the gate closed and locked. An inspection of the gate gave us an easy exit (without damaging anything) and as I was leaving an employee from the parks department, who was off of work, arrived and told me I was not allowed to leave, and as I was opening the gate I was grabbed, and the local authorities had to be called. Upon returning I found that a parks department employee stays near the shower house overnight, and if he were aware of my leaving this might have been a far easier event. Upon leaving we found the dump station (open hole, no adapter) near the guard shack that was very easy to access. Overall I would recommend the campground, but make sure you have your own shower ready just in case, and alert the staff near the shower house if you are leaving after hours. We camped here in a Tent Trailer.
Display older reviews for Hawthorn County Park
November 2013

question  question  question  question  yes  yes  question  yes  yes  yes
question  question  question  question  yes  yes  question  yes  yes  question
November 2013
Absolutely one of the best KOA's we have visited. We especially enjoyed the chocolate chip cookies we were given at check-in. Everyone was so friendly and helpful. Close to fuel/shopping/Walmart. Great place to winter camp. Very scenic with a dusting of snow. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
October 2013
Typical KOA, but this one was quiet and restful. The price is their standard rate for pull thru, 50 amps, full hook ups. The roads and sites were gravel. Sight number 5 was tight to get in and out. Site 1 offered more room. We ate dinner in the restaurant and it was good. Later, the camp host brought us some great cookies, for eating at the restaurant. The campground has two donkeys. They were friendly and playful. We camped one night and would camp here again. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Convenient to I-70 but very quiet day and night. Wonderful staff. The campground was well maintained although the sites can be a bit tight on the utility side as adjacent RVs enter from opposite directions and their utilities are together. Even in late September, the campground was packed. Cable excellent. We used our personal "hot spot" but we heard complaints about the Wi-Fi from other campers. We'd return here. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for Terre Haute KOA