Nearby Walnut, Iowa (Air Miles)
Wings America
2008-07-31 16:27:21
Walnut, Iowa
July 2008

July 2008
There isn't much going for this place. I suppose it is somewhat better than a truck stop due to electric/water hookups (and mowed grass), but it would be a close call on spending $28 here or listening to idling trucks at a truck stop all night. (This place was worth at the most 10-12$ a night.) Things got off to a questionable start when I walked into the lobby of the motel to register and almost reeled from the sour, musty smell. This place smelled like a house that has been closed up for ten years. After dialing "0" on the lobby phone to summon a person (the lobby was completely unattended I suppose due to it being lunchtime), things really got interesting when I tried to communicate with the front counter person. His poor command of English made it extremely difficult to communicate. We did manage to complete the registration process but asking a question and expecting to receive an answer I could understand was completely pointless. Finally I heard something that sounded like "go pick out a site", so our registration process was finally and mercifully finished. Driving to the rear of the motel where the 'campground' is located brought us a vista of seemingly randomly scattered water/electric pedestals over a large area of grass with no apparent order. Only a few (maybe six or eight) pull-through sites in the center were obvious in their orientation and most of these were occupied by long-term campers. This was 'free-form' camping at its finest ;-) We drove around and found a place where we didn't have to unhook the toad (we are 40' plus towing a Jeep) and we could easily leave going forward. Leaving gets interesting: When we were ready to leave, I started hunting around for a dumpster or trash can and could not find one. I finally resorted to depositing our bag in the small trash can placed by the lobby door completely filling it up. Oh well... Wanting to dump (at least they had one) meant we had to pass through two large evergreens guarding the exit. We are 8.5' wide, the exit was about 6.5' wide (no kidding!) I had to hold up a tree branch as far as I could while my wife drove through. Even at this, we still couldn't completely clear the trees. The dump was interesting - it is an open 6" pipe coming up an an angle in a concrete slab. At least somebody placed a large broken chunk of asphalt paving over the pipe to keep the neighborhood critters out. The only reason I didn't give this a "1" instead of a "2" was the grass was mowed. Do yourself a favor and keep driving by I-80 exit 46. We camped here in a Motorhome.