Nearby McConnell AFB, Kansas (Air Miles)
Mcconnell Air Force Bas
Kansas Newman College
Botanica, The Wichita G
Olive Tree - Wichita
3030 N Rock Rd
Sams Club 3415 N Rock Rd (Located To Block)
Central Detroit Diesel 15 2 0
Sams Club?I-235:7B 6200 W Kellogg (Located To Block)
I-235 Exit 7B
6110 W Kellogg
Wichita Mid-Continent Air
Sedgwick County Zoo & B
Adventure Rv & Truck Cen
Kansas
McConnell AFB
McConnell AFB Famcamp (Military Camping Only)
2013-09-22 15:02:44
McConnell AFB, Kansas

6   7   8   5
question  question  yes  question
question  question  yes  question
McConnell AFB Famcamp (it doesn’t even have a name ) was a disappointment as far as military campgrounds go. On the plus side, the FHU rate is good, the location, once you find it, is beside a no license required, catch and release fish pond and adjacent to what looks to have been the former base golf course. The camp coordinates are: 37.62247, -97.25131. This is where the plus ends. Getting to the actual base is through some busy city streets. Once at the main gate the barriers are challenging for a RV with a tow vehicle. Once at the registration building we were given some confusing directions ( poor map ) to the Famcamp and to make it worse, there was no signs to assist us. This is why we mentioned the above coordinates. Basically, head towards the water tower and keep it on your right side. When we checked in we told them we’d be here for one night and they ran our credit card. I don’t understand why if was necessary to return to the check in point the next day to get my credit card receipt. If traveling with dogs, they do ask for a current vaccination card. If you want to use the campground laundry you must go to the outdoor recreation office that is a different building and sign out a key for the laundry. The laundry room door was the only mention of a tick problem in the area and not at the initial check in. The 9 sites at the camp face an open field rather than out towards the much more picturesque lake and the actual sites had dirty fire rings, grass that was above my knees in height and no WiFi access. Fortunately, our Verizon MiFi was a strong 4G. We should have been told about the extremely high water pressure and need for a pressure reducer plus the tick problem. This didn’t happen at the check in point. As previously reported in a write up 5 months earlier, the sewer hookup in every site would require the camper to dump “uphill” creating an unsanitary situation. For the above reasons if we were in the Wichita area, we would most certainly choose another campground even if it meant paying a higher fee. We camped here in a Motorhome.
We stayed here in our 40' motorhome with tow vehicle. The new sites are great. Long, wide, concrete pad with grass. No table at site 6. Looks out at a field with walking/running track. Pond behind. Full hookups with 50 amp. Satellite and Verizon very good. We would stay here again. We camped here in a Motorhome.
April 2013
This review is to be considered an update to my previous review since improvements have been completed. This campground is so much better than what they had, the spaces have a 60' concrete pad and the entire spot is approximately 80' with gravel at each end. Each spot has a picnic table and fire ring. There is a playground for the kids, laundry and bathroom/shower facilities. In a conversation with one of the outdoor rec folks, I was told that there are plans for 10 more spots, all the same size as the current ones. The plan also includes the closing of the older camp. The two ponds have fish, catch and release only, and no license required. Check in is at the Air Capital Inn - not outdoor recreation. Access to the laundry is obtained at outdoor recreation where you get an access card for the reader on the laundry door. There are two washers and two dryers, all free. The Famcamp is big rig friendly. We had good satellite and Verizon WiFi reception. I will stay here again when I'm in this area. This Famcamp is one of the better campgrounds in my experience. The only negative for me was the lack of a dog run area and the height of the sewer hookup, I had to get some rain gutter to make a bridge from the RV hookup and the sewer dump. The folks at outdoor recreation stated that this will be fixed as soon as possible. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for McConnell AFB Famcamp (Military Camping Only)