206564 User submitted reviews online!!
Nearby Mount Desert, Maine (Air Miles)
Mount Desert Oceanarium

3   7   5   5   9
yes  yes  no  no  yes
yes  yes  no  no  yes
September 2012
We park on top of hill. I wouldn't suggest big rigs for upper loop. Strange setup of campsites. We arrived in dark with two RV (one 19'TT and one 31' FW). Neither sites were easy to setup in. Electric and water hookups were in wrong places, needed extra cords and hoses required to reach. No dump station or sewer hookups. You would need to used Acadia NP campground with an additional fee for park pass. Bathrooms clean, but extra charge for hot water in shower. Extra charge for big rigs, not worth it without any extra amenities, such as, hot water, dump station or sewer hookup. Staff friendly. Good location. I would not camp here again or recommend. Good views from our campsites. The campground was pretty empty due to end of season. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
May 2012
A very beautiful campground. We were located above the rock quarry with a view of the sound. Very close to the national park as well as Bar Harbor. We had a large site which was fairly level and shaded. The grocery store was close by. I would have rated this place higher but I had some concerns. First you had to pay extra for hot water for your showers and for dumping. I thought the high rate should have covered that. I was told everyone in the area charges the same. Be prepared. Second concern was for security. Our site was about 20ft from a neighborhood road. There should have been a fence separating us. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
August 2011
We chose this particular campground because of its location on the "quiet side" of the island near where I wanted to take a lot of photos. The campground is much better suited to tent camping than to RV's. I guess I didn't do my homework thoroughly as we a few "add on" charges I didn't anticipate. The dump station costs extra according to your unit size! The Wi-Fi was down and not available until our last day here. The only bathhouse was fairly new but not at all well maintained. There were many porta-potties spread throughout the tent only camping area. The staff was quite friendly but the office was often unattended and they had very few items for sale. Some RV sites would be difficult to maneuver into but we had a nice level site with easy access. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
Display older reviews for Somes Sound View Campground