Nearby Rockwood, Maine (Air Miles)
Maine
Rockwood
The Birches Resort
2013-07-11 21:39:26
Rockwood, Maine
August 2009

August 2009
I loved this campground and my family made some truly wonderful memories here. Located at the Northwest tip of Moosehead Lake, this gem is worth the drive. You should take the word “Wilderness” seriously; this campground is definitely away from it all. There is no cell service, no Internet and intermittent power (more on that later). The road in from Rockwood should be met with patience, sturdy shocks and solid packing inside your unit. It is approximately 20 miles of rutted, pot-holed, dirt road. My maximum speed while towing our 34’ TT was about 15 mph. The large amounts of rain in June and July definitely took its toll on the road. Even at that speed, all the drawers and cabinets had popped open en-route. We camped lakefront, in my eyes, the only way to go. The lots are not level but very spacious and each waterfront site had a leen-too, perfect for watching a storm pass through or the moon rising over the mountains. The showers and restrooms were clean, well maintained, and the water was always hot. My children enjoyed lake swimming (w/out leeches), canoeing, fishing, bike riding, and they met wonderful children at the playground. The views from this campground are stunning. We watched the moon rise over the mountains, reflecting off the lake every night of our stay. The owners and other campers were very friendly and enjoyable to chat with. We were very impressed with the fire-pit quality which came in handy with cool evening temperatures. Camping here requires a bit of pre-planning. You need to bring all your essential food with you. The store has some supplies, but very basic and there are no perishables except milk. Depending on what kind of mileage you get, you need to fill your gas tanks before heading in. There are no laundry facilities here. If you want to eat out, unless you go to Pittston Farm, you are looking at an hour or more drive. Although we loved staying here and we will return, I do have a few complaints. First, and this is a biggie for me, they do not tell you on the phone they work on intermittent generator power - I understand they mail detailed information to you if you make a reservation enough ahead of time. We pulled in sometime after 8pm, hooked up the electrical line and moments later, the campground went dark. We thought there had been a power outage. The next day we learned that they run the generator on a schedule. Showering, vacuuming, running the microwave, coffee maker, radio, etc. all requires planning. The bathrooms and showers after 9pm are pitch black. After a long, active day, the rush to the showers before the power went out made for lines. My biggest issue with this is you are paying for a site with electric and nowhere on the website did it mention or when we called (twice) did they tell you about the power or lack thereof. I feel this needs to be disclosed before folks make a reservation. My other issue is feeling “nickel and dime”. Waterfront sites were $30 a night, then each child over 12 yrs was an additional charge, a child’s tent was an additional charge, each pet was an additional charge per pet, an additional car was extra, etc. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.

yes (Stream)
question  yes
question  yes
After visiting their website and reading all the flowery prose, I booked two nights in our RV. I wish now I hadn't chose to visit this poor example of what being a good host means. The Birches talks a good show, but all is not as it would seem. The RV sites are dreadful, Moosehead Lake is barely in view, you are placed at the marina, and the mechanics garage is in front of you. You feel like "Cinderella", before her fairy godmother appears. My advice to campers is to stay away from here. There were other issues, but the bottom line is the Birches rates a "2" and I'm being generous. We camped here in a Motorhome.
September 2009
The Birches is a beautiful log cabin resort on the prettiest part of Moosehead Lake. It offers 2 RV sites, 2 yurts, and housekeeping cabins. The RV sites are right at the marina, which is on a sheltered channel. Campers could dock their own boat right by their RV. The Birches offers launching for your own boat or rental of a power boat or kayak. Added treats are on-site float plane sightseeing or a moose cruise on a pontoon boat. There is a beautiful full service dining room overlooking the lake. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.