Nearby Hancock, Maryland (Air Miles)
Berkeley Springs State
Sideling Hill Exhibit C
Fort Frederick State Par
Maryland
Hancock
Happy Hills Family Campground
2014-08-09 23:54:22
Hancock, Maryland

yes  yes  yes  yes  yes  yes  question  question  yes  yes
question  yes  yes  question  yes  yes  question  question  yes  yes
I'm glad that we stayed in our small camper and didn't bring our 39-foot 5th wheel because the sites available to those who are not seasonal campers are small and unlevel, and tree branches are low. I watched one 5th wheel break a small branch off a tree. Be prepared to be out of service for outside communication. Cell service is very poor, and my phone's data service wasn't strong enough to pull in the Internet. The park has Wi-Fi for $3.95/day, but I was not able to connect. One of the seasonals told us that it doesn't work well. They do have cable TV. The speed limit is 5 MPH. Cars were going much faster than that. There's a trail that connects to the Western Maryland Trail about a mile away. Walk your bikes on it! It is full of ruts and rocks and is very muddy if there has been any rain. We took the road to the trail. However, it's a long hilly ride back up to the campground. The store is well stocked, but it is open only until 5. The staff is friendly. Be prepared to pay extra for miniature golf. (We weren't interested in playing it, just mentioning this FYI.) I don't know whether or not there is a charge for the pool. It was not open when were there. They were draining it, I guess for some sort of repair, and the water was running down the road. People there were friendly. It was okay to stay a couple nights so that we could ride our bikes on the trails in the area. However, I would not return. We camped here in a Truck Camper.
Review on AllStays seemed nice so we booked an overnight stay on our trip. We were given alternate directions on phone because of low hanging trees on the GPS route. Thank goodness for that. Even with the improved directions we hit leaves and branches about seven times but no damage. The campground is in the middle of nowhere so would never use for an overnight again. When we arrived we were offered two spots to choose from. After a tight tour around the campground we went back to office as both were really not very level. The gentleman said to my wife, "Oh, you are in the ginormous rig." We are 35' feet, hardly ginormous in the motorhome world. He told her about a couple other sites, both of which were fine. We had a great night. Electrical (30 amp) was fine, water fine. Did not use sewer but hookup was convenient. The staff was quite nice though they should have warned about the lack of big rig facilities. Area was quite rural and very full with campers having a great time. Lots of four wheelers. Lots of families. Lots of long term residents. Several of the long termers had really improved their lots with decks and cookers and tables. If you are looking for a longer stay with a fifth wheel or a camper, this would really be nice - certainly a four or five. I could receive no Wi-Fi but did not ask about details. Bathrooms were older but pretty clean and adequate. We were really concerned about the noise from the carts and four Wheelers but by bedtime all was nice. Evening was quiet. There was even a wedding that day along with a reception. We walked by the area while to reception was going on and thought the music was a bit loud until we realized the door was open. When the door shut, we could barely hear it. I guess I have a bit of a problem with campgrounds that want to be everything to all people. They should have let us know about the tightness of the spots. Our slot was a pull-through but we had to back out to keep from running over short stumps. I guess that is why I chose a three instead of a four. We enjoyed the people and the place but the initial hassle was not worth it. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Just when we thought the roads into a campground couldn't get any worse, we found this place. And the low-hanging branches over my site were bad enough that I did my own pruning prior to leaving. It was very quiet while we were here, since we were located at the end of the "seasonal area" where nobody seemed to reside at the time. Bathrooms and showers were old but adequate. The park WiFi was good, Verizon signal was weak. Our site was an end spot very close to to the next one, but spacing was sufficient in most areas. The 30A power and water pressure were good. Our site included a picnic table and fire ring. The staff was very friendly. There was access to the fantastic C & O Canal Rail Trail from the park, which was nice. Services in the small town of Hancock were about a 15-minute drive away. This campground is probably fine for most folks traveling in smaller units for a weekend, but the roads and sites are not intended for larger rigs. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for Happy Hills Family Campground