Nearby Queen Anne, Maryland (Air Miles)
Antique Furniture Reprodu
8155 Elliot Rd
Hunter'S Tavern
Maryland
Queen Anne
Tuckahoe State Park
2014-06-21 23:19:26
Queen Anne, Maryland

yes  yes  yes  yes  question  yes  yes  yes  yes  yes
no  yes  question  yes  question  yes  yes  yes  yes  yes
Sites are paved. Garbage has to be taken to one dumpster. Firewood is available for camp fires. Very shaded. They patrol often to make sure all is well. Paved roads. A bit in the middle of nowhere. A lot of families show up on the weekend. We camped here in a Motorhome.
No ranger or camp host on site. Sites are nice, as state parks usually are. No WIFI. Bathrooms could have been a bit cleaner. Especially in the showers. They have the plastic mats in the stalls and I don't think they have been lifted up in a long time to be cleaned properly. Just an okay place to stay but we would not return. We camped here in a Motorhome.
We just returned from spending Labor Day weekend here. I agree with the previous reviews: very nice park; well-maintained, clean, spacious. We biked over to the camp office to get a trail map and ask about the best kayaking, and were treated to the aviary - about a dozen owls and hawks that are residents due to injury and/or imprinting on humans. Rangers are very friendly and helpful; they came through the campground with a hawk one night, and they run several programs like guided canoe/kayak trips, scavenger hunts, zip line, etc. There are two playgrounds, a disc golf course, and safe roads to bike. The Adkins Arboretum trails can be biked, which I think would be more fun than walking them like I did. Kayaking up the creek from the lake was my favorite part; it's a beautiful paddle and we saw dozens of turtles of all sizes. I could see how a rowdy party could be a problem; even though the rangers patrol occasionally there is no staff on site 24/7. Firewood is sold on the honor system and is newly-split and damp, but possible to burn. The only reason I don't give this park is perfect 10 is the bugs - they were fierce. I know it's part of camping but if you are a bug magnet like I am, it can really affect your trip. The mosquitoes at the campsite and the biting flies on the kayak trips were pretty bad - we set up a screen room and I pretty much stayed there if we were at the site. Overall this is a great park and we will likely return again for a quick getaway. Oh, and the Irish Pub in Denton serves some great food - try the fries with provolone, bacon and ranch dressing! We camped here in a Truck Camper.
Display older reviews for Tuckahoe State Park