Nearby Sturbridge, Massachusetts (Air Miles)
Whistling Swan
Yogi Bear's Sturbridge Jellystone Park
2014-09-21 01:09:40
Sturbridge, Massachusetts

3   1   1   4   6   7   5   7   7
question  question  question  question  question  question  question  question  question
The only good thing about this campground is the full hookups. Only a handful of sites that will accommodate a 40 ft class A, and those are out in the open (no shade) with extremely small campsites; you are elbow to elbow with your neighbor. Nowhere to park your car but in alongside the rig, so what little site is available is taken by your auto/truck. I'd say close to 50% seasonal. Roads are mostly dirt with very little gravel, when it rains you can imagine the mud. The cable is very limited and the picture poor quality. It is convenient to I-84, and there is a Pilot Diesel and Mobil with diesel right off the Exit 1 in MA, and the prices are low compared to CT. We camped here in a Motorhome.
TTN Rate. There is a new sign on Mashapaug Road, but nothing else has changed. Call the office from the gate, get the access code, and drive down the hill to the stop sign at the lodge, and do your check-in, and go look for a site. With the fifth wheel we made the left u-turn, and parked it in the middle of the road, and walked to the area suggested. The mud holes mentioned before are still there, including the messed up road & site with the water leak (leak has been repaired but nothing else has). The road is a pit and cordoned off where the hole is, so access is difficult. We chose a site which has actually two sites back to back with one half blocked by barricades off the road. I backed into the "good" half, and had no problem with setup, AND didn't need to worry about taking up another space (there really isn't room for two in each site). The manager did say they had a big problem with water this spring-their opening was April 1-and it still isn't resolved. The pool isn't open, and the manager told us it was because they are waiting for an inspection by a state health inspector for water quality and condition of the pool. The manager wasn't helpful at all, and the entire campground is nasty. We walked the entire campground, and there may be 101 sites, but 43 of them are rental units, and in addition to that, are the seasonal sites. There just aren't many sites open to the public here. Tengonet Wi-Fi is terrible, but our server did pull in a fair signal. Full hookups were good and accessible. Based on the overall condition of the park and attitude, we may not be returning. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
May 2013
Rate is based on PA rate. The best part of the campground was the sign at the entrance -- nice sign. Everything went down hill from there. Dirt roads in the campgrounds with huge pot holes. Site was so unlevel the wheels were off the ground. The "ranger" told us to select our site. When we went to the designated section, there were only 2 open pull throughs. One of the open sites appeared to have a huge mud hole which was covered with piled up picnic tables (one which was ours). So naturally we selected the dry site. When we hooked up to the water, the main stem to the cutoff valve was pouring out water. The electric was OK. When we went back to the "ranger" to tell her which site we selected and the terrible condition of the one site, she explained a water main did break there. As to our problems, she simply said "It is, what it is". Wi-Fi is available for a charge. Due to the conditions of the grounds, attitude of the staff, and difficulty booking a reservation, we would never return. It is obvious no effort or money is used to maintain this park. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for Sturbridge Outdoor World Campground

no  no  yes  no  yes  yes  yes  yes  yes  question
no  no  yes  no  yes  yes  yes  yes  yes  question
Park is a basic as you can get with no hookups, hence why I only stay here in a tent and not in my trailer. The bathrooms are older and small - I wouldn't shower in them but for restroom use they are fine. Site on the lake was very nice, plenty of space and plenty of privacy. I do recommend that if you go to plan ahead and look at the map closely. Most sites are large and have plenty of space however there are a few tiny sites that are low lying and are close to stagnant water. Overall it's a nice park and I will be back, I go here often. We camped here in a Tent.
July 2012
When I booked the site on line, it was described as a pull-through and rated for up to 35' TT. Luckily, the grounds people saw me scoping out the site, and recommended that I not pull in, as I would only have to back out. Boy were they correct! Two of them helped me to back in, and I definitely could not have done it without them. We stayed six nights here, which was 3 nights too many. My daughters were attending a day camp at Old Sturbridge Village, and this was the closes CG to Sturbridge (for a reasonable price). However, the showers were just atrocious, and would make it very difficult to stay here again. There were a ton of mosquito's, so hiking wasn't enjoyable, and the lake was a bit smelly, so not very refreshing. On the way home, we tried to do an overnight at the local Walmart, but the police kicked us out. Apparently the town has an ordinance that prohibits overnight parking. I know this last piece of information is not about the CG, but hope you leave it in, as would have been SOOOO helpful for me to have known this ahead of time. Hope I can save someone else the headache of finding a CG in the dark as we were forced to do. We camped here in a Motorhome.
July 2012
 Just a couple of miles off the Mass Pike (Interstate 90) this state park offers a quiet setting on Walker  Pond.  The wooded surroundings give way to a number of hiking trails.  The place is well kept up, restrooms clean, paved and gravel roads for easy access, friendly staff. The grounds are well taken care of. Will return! We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for Wells State Park
September 2014

question  yes  question  no  yes  yes  question  question  question  yes
question  question  question  no  yes  yes  question  question  question  yes
September 2014
Stopped here for an overnighter on our way to Maine. The lady in the office was very friendly and gave us a nice site where we didn't have to unhook. We were here off season and in the middle of the week, so it wasn't very crowded. During prime season, I'd imagine most sites would be really tight if your camper is longer than 25 ft. Nice place to stay if you are visiting Old Sturbridge Village. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
This was our second anual Ranger Ricks cleanup weekend, where we camped for free in exchange for raking our site and participating in a group fence painting. Our site had an old class A that had been sitting there for some time in the site across from us, and what looked like an old mini golf setup behind us. There were a lot of old seasonal campers making this place looked run down. We can't complain much since it was free. But, I am unlikely to stay there as a paying customer. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Well, this is a very old and run down park. They have a firetruck with Yogi and something riding through the park in the evening. The staff was fine, but the roads are tight, bumpy and quite a number of dumpy, dirty permanents. The sites are so close together and nothing really pretty about the park either. Dogs barking continually, but the trip to Old Sturbridge Village was the icing on a flopped cake. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
Display older reviews for Yogi Bear's Sturbridge Jellystone Park