Nearby Vergas, Minnesota (Air Miles)
Heisler'S Country Camping
Vergas, Minnesota

1   5   2   8
question  yes  question  question
question  yes  question  question
Owner was rude. When I called I asked several questions about lake access and if there was something for kids to do as well as campfires allowed. I was told lakes near by and yes to the other. We brought all food that needed to be cooked over the fire. So when we got there with two small kids we were told we HAD to use the community ring two sites over. There was no place to eat over there, as the picnic tables and broken down playground had weeds to your knees. We could not leave children unattended so NO SMORES and NO FOOD. We had to eat in town. The owner nearly ran me down with his truck and questioned me to why I had went for a walk, then " scolded us" for the small fire we used to try to make food. And told us to put it out. He then drove by our site 4 times to make sure we put it out. We would not recommend to anyone. The view is of a run down trailer park and a junk yard. The gas station is closed and also full of junk. Not impressed! We camped here in a Motorhome.
August 2012
You know, I would, give this place a higher rating but our site (#1) did not have sewer, it was bit difficult to find and the owner didn't even know he was in the TL directory. There is no laundry on site, but down at the gas station there are 4 washers in need of repairs and only two dryers. There is a store carrying a small inventory of supplies and a food grill. Apparently an electrician did some work on site #1 and covered over the hole and it cannot be found. Site #1 is a quite unlevel as well, but the views are incredible. I wouldn't call this a "campground" per se. Its basically a meadow with hook-ups. There are four sites used for overnighters, the rest are used for long-termers. The owners are doing a great job of making it RV friendly. The showers and bathrooms inside the shelter are in great shape. In the main room, there is a bar (they serve beer and $1.00 set ups. You bring your own hard liquor. ), pool table, juke box, your typical country hangout. The place gets rave reviews from the locals. We camped there because we have relatives that live in Vergas. We would stay here again mainly because of the views and the owners. We camped here in a Motorhome.
October 2009
Signs and directions to get into this campground are very poorly done. The sign at the gas station verifies camping and when we went in they said we no longer own it. We finally ended up at a tavern and the man at the counter said his friend recently took it over and he needed do make some new signs and clean things up. When the manager showed up he took us to an all grass site where water had been shut off and said our levelers would need support under them because of the soft grass. We did that in a fairly unlevel site. It was quiet since we were the only non-permanent people there. They claim 50 some sites there but I sure didn't see anywhere near that many. Access to many near lakes was a high point. We would not stay here again. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for Heisler's Country Camping