206704 User submitted reviews online!!
Nearby Winona, Minnesota (Air Miles)
Winona State University

6   2   5   4   6   8   7
yes  question  yes  question  yes  yes  yes
yes  question  yes  question  yes  yes  yes
July 2012
We camped in the main campground. You may also camp on the river side where the marina is located. We selected the main side as the pool is located there. Pros: The proprietor is an accommodating, friendly, and welcoming person. Easy access to site. Seasonal occupants were friendly. The proprietor nicely loaned us a 50amp connector as the 30amp outlet on our shared power pole was being used by the neighbor. Saturday was taco night for $1. It's tasty and a cute idea. Cons: We faced a seasonal site that was thankfully unoccupied for the weekend. It was left in a state of disarray and was an eyesore. The fire rings had obviously been moved frequently and each burnt patch was littered with cigarette butts. Our picnic table was almost unusable as boards were loose and uneven. The sewer hookup was several inches above the ground necessitating more maneuvering and work to empty the tank when we left. Although clean, the shower rooms aren't inviting due to dated fixtures and shower heads that spray water almost painfully with cold water. The riverside campground is a world onto itself and not the environment we would seek for a relaxing camping weekend. We discussed for a few minutes the big equipment (bulldozer, etc..) left in an abandoned looking state near the river. We were itching with ideas on how to cleanup and improve the campground! Although some seasonal campers had nicely maintained sites, we were left with the perception of a disorderly, somewhat junky looking campground. Overall, the campground worked for our purpose but most likely won't return if needing to stay in the area again. At close to $50 a night we have certainly stayed in nicer campgrounds for even less that cost. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
July 2010
This campground is split by a 4 lane highway and unfortunately I didn't learn that until I had to go to the "lower/river" side, down a gravel road and across train tracks without warning gates. While it would have been great if I wanted to launch a boat into the Mississippi, I didn't know my kids would have a very small area to ride their bikes and no pool, restroom or convenience store on the river side. The train also came by every 60 to 90 minutes blaring it's horn and shaking the trailer. Great if you want to use the river -- but not if you want space and peace and quiet or even sleep. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
July 2009
We didn't really enjoy the campground and really tried to be out in Winona as much as possible. The people running the campground were nice and friendly though, and the overall experience was positive with the people I interacted with. Main issue was just overall size of the campground and that everyone is piled in on top of each other. We were parked about 5 feet from a seasonal rig in the spot we wound up in. As stated before just about everyone that seemed to be there knew each other, and you kind of felt out of place while staying in the campground. I guess we would just prefer to stay in the state parks in the state but hadn't planned far enough ahead for this weekend to do that. We'll be sure to plan far ahead in the future. They did have an animal petting zoo thing come in this weekend which was nice and my kids did like that part of it very much. The playground equipment is pretty old, and I'd personally be worried about the liability issues if I were the owners of the campground. In fairness though my kids did play on some of the equipment and had fun though. You've got to like the old metal slides from when I was a kid. You can really get some speed on those slides. Overall experience with the people at the campground, and the area of Winona Wabasha was positive. Experience with the campground was negative, and I would not plan on ever staying here again. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
Display older reviews for Pla-Mor Campground & Marina

yes (River)
3   4   6   8   8
no  question  question  question  yes
no  question  question  question  yes
July 2012
A place to park if you can find a site. Most sites are taken by full time residents. Grass needs mowing and a general fixup. Young man in charge was very helpful and showed me a map with the sites to choose. Because of the price would stay here again. We camped here in a Motorhome.
September 2011
This is a city owned/managed park. The interior roads are paved and the camp sites are all grass, fairly level with lots of shade trees. We did not use the restrooms but they looked to be primitive. Check-in was conducted by a young man who seemed to care less, gave us a list of 4 sites that might be open and to drive by and find one that we liked and to check back and let him know which one we selected. Overall we were not too impressed, but if we had to we would stay here again. We camped here in a Motorhome.
October 2010
As has been mentioned in previous reviews, this campground has a strange setup for delivery of water to campsites. Hoses are laid on top of the ground with tees running to each site. I chose not to utilize this system as I had concerns about the safety of this supply. The campground is on the Mississippi River side of the levee, so it is prone to flooding. In addition, a major railroad line is located across the river and was quite noisy at all hours of the day and night during my stay in the fall (the leaves were off the trees). Although the manager was both friendly and helpful, I’ll skip this park on my next visit to the area. The rate shown was for a week’s stay. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for Prairie Island Campground