Nearby Stoutsville, Missouri (Air Miles)
Mark Twain Birthplace S
May 2010

yes  yes
yes  yes
May 2010
Mark Twain is pretty nice, has fairly large, private sites. They had recently had alot of rain, due to all the beautiful shade trees, it made for alot of mud. Our 20A service wasn't working, maintenance fixed the problem. We had a good time overall. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
May 2006
I only rated this one a 7 because of what's not really in the State's control. Other than they have rangers come around who should enforce quiet hours and such, including stupidity. This park is a really, really nice park. I have been camping there since before the river was flooded into Mark Twain Lake and the old part of the campground is now under water. I spent my summers growing up in this area. Through the years, I have noticed how the crowd of people who camp here have changed. From respectful decent folks to a whole lot of rowdy and sometimes unruly people who do not watch their kids. The roads at any state park in Missouri are not big enough for 6 kids riding bicycles and campers as there are many hidden corners. The last time we camped at Mark Twain State Park, we not only had to deal with those bicycling kids screaming throughout the park the entire time, but an ongoing weekend party on one side of us and on the other some jerk who thought it was a wise idea to have four super bright halogen lights pointed at the sky all night long. Yeah, what a bright freaking idea, that shined in OUR camper for five straight days. And the bugs those light drew to our sites were awful. Not to mention, since the lights were left on both day and night and were on a stand about four foot off the ground, I kept fearing the wind would knock them over and catch the entire campground on fire. Halogens are not very practical OR smart to be using like this camping as they get very hot and are not stable on a four foot stand! Duh! Luckily, that did not happen. The worst part was we felt like we really couldn't say anything because the woman in the site was one of my son's teachers. They would have know who complained and he would have been punished in his grades. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.