Nearby Billings, Montana (Air Miles)
The Cattle Company
Billings
Billings Trailer Village RV Park
2014-10-26 15:16:05
Billings, Montana

yes  yes  yes  yes  yes  question  question  yes  yes  no
yes  yes  yes  no  yes  question  question  question  yes  yes
I wasn't expecting much from the negative reviews of all the Billings campgrounds. But this is probably one of the nicest KOA's that we've stayed in. Clean, safe, well landscaped, well maintained facilities, mature trees, plenty of room to maneuver a big rig, friendly staff, good laundry rooms...you get the idea. It was almost at the level of a nice RV resort. We had one of the nicer patio sites but even the "normal" sites looked fine. If I had the reason to stay, I could camp a week here and be perfectly comfortable. Another treat is that the Yellowstone River runs right by the park so you can go for pleasant evening walks with stunning scenery. The only negative is the price which is pretty steep. But the park is so nice you can almost pretend it's worth it. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Somewhat a history buff, I was looking forward to seeing the first ever KOA in Billings. What a mistake! First, they don't answer their phone. Instead, I got a clerk at the 800 number who couldn't clarify the directions for me. She said to just follow the map. The map wasn't clear which is why I called. She said no one could answer the local number because they were too busy! Luckily, my GPS was correct. Entrance to the park is through narrow residential streets with a really tough turn into the park. Next problem was a very narrow, short site even though I had booked a reservation for a 38 foot motorhome with a tow car. Another problem was limited cable and very poor Wi-Fi. Next problem: the shower. It was actually nice until the hot water turned cold. However, the worst aggravation was the next morning when were leaving. The road was too narrow and crowded to make a right or left turn out of the site, so we went straight, passing by the cabins and onto a dirt road intended for cars only. Of course, the road was crowded with cars that had spilled out well past their parking spots. Throw in a very low wire coming off a pole, and we had a major challenge. I had to walk in front of the motorhome, guiding my husband as he tried his best to avoid hitting anything, sometimes with only inches to spare. This exit route was definitely not meant for a motorhome, but at least we could leave this very disappointing KOA unscathed. The only historical aspects of this park are its archaic roads and sites, its poor phone set up, and its lack of hot water. Never again. Rest stops and Walmart would be less stressful and certainly cheaper. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Definitely the best KOA we have ever stayed. We got to stay in a new site. (Beautiful brick campfire ring never ever used due to restriction on campfires.) Very, very level site with new picnic table and even a swing. Not sure who gets swings. Cable TV good. Pretty pool area and miniature golf. Nice, nice people. OK, so yes, it's a KOA. A little close, even the new ones. Especially bad when these huge fifth wheels come in with their huge trucks and overshoot the very, very long sites. And of course, the Wi-Fi works very very poorly if at all. KOA would do us all a service to put in their guidelines not to walk through others' site. It seems to happen more in KOAs, both children and adults. Rate reflects 10% KOA card discount. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for Billings KOA
October 2014

question  question  yes  yes  question  question  question  question  yes  yes
question  question  yes  yes  question  question  question  question  yes  question
October 2014
We stayed here because it was the least expensive and because it was convenient to the interstate and to Sam's Club (cheapest fuel in town). We were just passing thru on our way to Yellowstone. This is a nice park, run by a nice lady. We would stay here again, whether for one night or longer: it's a nice park. No pull-throughs (all back-in sites) might be a problem for some. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
September 2014
Easy on/off from the road but park is in two sections, and depending on which section you take, has one of the two entrances. Asphalt roads and sites. Older park with some permanent residents but they were friendly and generally kept the park up. Great people in the office but a minor nit is that we asked for a dish friendly site when we reserved a long time ago. Since we had this problem before we called before our arrival and sure enough we were in a non-friendly dish site. Luckily another one was available and we got that site. Utility hookups were OK. Convenient since right in the city. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
Pretty good city rv park. Easy exit from I-90, wide enough paved & shady sites, lots of cable channels, clean restrooms and laundry. Voltage was low upon hookup but there was enough breeze late in day to not use AC. Mid-summer could be a problem. Sewer cap was way back; glad we didn't need it on overnight. Nice lady in office let us pick our site. Price is high but includes taxes. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for Billings Trailer Village RV Park
October 2014

question  yes  question  question  question  question  question  question  question  yes
October 2014
You would think that once it is after Labor Day and they close the hot tubs and pool that they would lower the price. NOPE! The last time I was here was five years ago in summer, and I thought $48 was ridiculous, now it's $65 before Good Sam discount and bed tax (7%). For this price, I expect maid service and a mint on my pillow! Again the issue with the photo ID. The clerk didn't even ask for "photo ID," just said, "Need to see your driver's license." I held my ground and clerk finally consented to viewing my passport as it "had a number on it that they have to write down." This is the only RV park I have stayed in that has ever insisted on photo ID, I don't know what the issue is. And again, the "chumminess" of the sites. Thank goodness it wasn't crowded. If someone would have been placed in the site beside me, it would have been tight, and I'm just a Class C, no tow car. Most RV parks in Montana close down October 1, so this late in the year, you take what you can get. The clerk did mention that this park stays open year round, but after October 15, no one is in the office, it's just self registration (if anyone is interested....). To get to this park, you have to weasel off the interstate down a narrow road, but the signs are marked. One good point, the clerk was good about explaining the itemization of charges (they only give you a credit card receipt with the total, no itemization). The clerk didn't give me the usual "are you nuts" look (because people generally don't ask). I like to know how it itemizes. I'm lowering my rating to 6 (because of the "chumminess" of sites and price is just a bit much) from my previous one of 9 (and I must have been delirious to have given a 9 on the prior review!). We camped here in a Motorhome.
Nice RV park with a lot of pull-thrus but most of these RV sites are shared with RV doors facing each other. Many of these sites are too narrow to use canopies depending how your neighbor is parked. Not on the Yellowstone River but on a creek that flows into the river. Expensive but there only two major campgrounds in town and both are busy. Pool and hot tub need updating and cleaning. Many people used these but we would not. Close to Billings downtown. Nice paved walking/biking trail about 1/2 mile away with river access. We camped here in a Motorhome.
First thing I will say is the place is a total rip-off for the price. The spaces are so cramped together it is pathetic. Most RV parks have a nice pull-through space with a little private area for you to pull your awning out and sit outside, not this place. Your awning can't come down because their pull-through spaces are "two-way" and they cram two rigs in the same spot facing opposite directions. Total, and I mean TOTAL RIP-OFF for 70 bucks a night. The little market is pretty useless, the staff so-so, but we really can't get over the way they cram their customers into very uncomfortable, cramped spaces. This is the poorest planned RV park we have ever seen. The ONLY good thing we will say about this park is the internet is really good in comparison to most RV parks. Other than that, it is well maintained, clean, and nicely landscaped. Guess they figured they should give something for ripping their customers off with the ridiculous prices and lack of "personal space". We would not stay here again if it were midnight, we were too tired to drive, and it was pouring rain. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for Yellowstone River RV Park and Campground