Nearby Henniker, New Hampshire (Air Miles)
Colby Hill Inn
May 2011

question  no
question  no
May 2011
Wish I did my homework before I booked this campground. My small site was clean and raked before we arrived, but I was surprised to find a 20 amp fuse (yes, fuse) for 27' class C. After the 3rd one blew, I was told by the owner not to run my AC even though it was 80 degrees, and that I would be charged for any more fuses. I plug the camper into my house all the time and have never had this problem. We decided to ride it out for the weekend anyways, but will not be back. If you like to party, this is the place to be. The crowning moment of my weekend was watching a full grown adult place his empty beer can on my neighbors car antennae as he staggered by at 2:00 in the afternoon with his homeys. They thought it was hilarious. Also watch out for Fido's land mines. I didn't see any proud pet owners walking their dogs equipped to, nor caring to deal with this after the deed was done. Just one camper's humble opinion. Till next time. We camped here in a Motorhome.
October 2010
We have been coming to the this campground for many years. It's a small place with two, out dated playgrounds, one being on the beach. The kids have fun never the less. You can hear the trucks going by on the highway at night but there is a Dunkin Donuts within walking distance to the campground. There is shuffle board, mini golf, basketball, horseshoes, paddle boats, and a rec hall for the kids to enjoy. There are two beaches, one being bigger but both have a floating dock to swim out to and play on. The store and rec hall is kept clean but the ceiling needs some work. The huge fireplace in the rec hall is a nice place to sit on the cold or wet nights, though there could be some upgraded chairs for the adults to sit in. The electrical hookup is 20 or 30 amp and you need to be specific on your electrical needs when booking a site. If you need to use the AC, go for the 30 amp or higher if possible, other wise you will be blowing fuses the entire time you are here. The sewer hook up works just fine and there is good water pressure. There are several, long time seasonal trailers. Some appear old but none are neglected. The bathrooms are old and could use to be remodeled and tend to get dirty toward the end of the weekend. The seasonal campers are very involved in planning and organizing events and activities. Things such as theme dances, dinners, flea markets, Bingo, Texas Holdem games, apple picking, Christmas in July, trick or treating for kids, campsite contests, and fundraising events for different charities. The seasonal campers are watchful of the grounds and are approachable if you should need advice. The campground staff are friendly and responsive when something needs attention. People tend to respect the quiet hours but you will see some late night campers sitting quietly around the fire-pit talking. The campground is owned by a single woman who does her best to maintain the property. This is a great little place with lots of potential. Its great for a weekend get away though there isn't much for local attractions near by. My kids love this place, the best compared to all the resorts we have been to. We like it because it's two hours from Boston and is an easy trip with 2 young kids in the car. Despite the rustic surroundings the campground is kept clean and tidy. I would recommend giving it a try. It has grown on us over the years. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.

no  yes  yes  no  question  question  yes  question  yes  yes
no  question  yes  no  question  question  question  question  yes  yes
With a little tweaking, this could be a nice campground, but as it stands, I gave it a 4. Why? First of all-too many trees in the wrong places. Now, don't get me wrong, I know we are camping, and I know trees are a part of camping, but this campground had trees up against and hanging over the bathhouse, which made the bathhouse damp and mossy. Also, the campground was too dark. Trees need thinning. And, the bathhouse was dirty and humid. Nothing I would want to use. Poor Wi-Fi. We were told there was cable TV. We got no signal. When we asked, we were told the signal was too weak. Our campsite had trash on it from previous campers. Our site had sand mixed with fine gravel. Since it was just my husband and myself, we took our shoes off, but kids or pets would have dragged sand into the camper. We stayed here overnight as we were traveling to Maine, and the campground was okay for an overnight, but I would not have stayed any longer. We camped here in a Motorhome.
October 2012
We stayed in this park for a month while touring the area. I will start out with the good points of the park. The owner/manager is a great guy and has good customer service skills. He was always helpful and courteous. The park is kept up reasonably well. The spots are somewhat secluded. WiFi coverage was reasonable, and in other than peak use times was ok speed wise. In peak use times, the WiFi was very slow. Now the bad. The electrical in the park is substandard. We had to deal with low voltage issues all the time. Also the 50amp outlets are not protected by circuit breakers, which makes hooking to power difficult when plugging in. Also this creates no protection from the plug-in to the RV breaker box in the event of a problem. The sites are very dirty under foot. Now it is important to remember this is a "campground" not an "RV park/resort," so there is less improvements in the sites. But ours was not graveled as some are, which made the sandy soil a constant dirty problem. Also the grade of the site was such that when we got rain, the area outside our step was flooded with 3-5 inches of water. This could have been prevented with just a little work with grading. The spots are average in size, until we were told the spots were for two RVs. This would have been ridiculous if someone was to park next to us in the spot, as there would have been less than 36" between the RVs. We had several problems with our mail being delivered here. One time an attempt was made to deliver the mail and a note was left with the office the package was at the post office. We were never told by the office, we learned via the internet. Finally, the biggest problem was with one of their employees. I won't name him here, but he had no customer service skills, and was arrogant, condescending, and very rude. And to top it off, he was the employee to greet us. Needless to say he didn't make a very good first impression. We will never stay here again, and cannot recommend the park to anyone. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
September 2012
Nice, clean campground. Not a lot of planned activities for the kids, but our 12 and 13 year olds kept busy bike riding, swimming, and playing basketball. Good band Saturday night and even better karaoke Sunday night. Site was not large, but was roomy enough. Friendly campers and staff. Bathrooms were clean, but no hand soap. Boat rental rates very reasonable. No extra charge for holiday weekend, which makes this a great value. Store was small, but had the necessities. If we went back to the area, we would stay again. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
Display older reviews for Mile-Away Campground