219034 User submitted reviews online!!
Nearby East Otto, New York (Air Miles)
Allegany Mountain Resort-6994 Plato Rd
East Otto, New York

6   8   10   7   8   9   4   10
yes  yes  question  question  yes  yes  question  yes
yes  yes  question  question  yes  yes  question  yes
Rate reflects RPI Membership. The property is situated around Rainbow Lake. My guess is that a walk around the lake is about two miles. It's a beautiful place. There are plenty of amenities: two pools (one indoor), canoes and kayaks, tennis and volleyball courts, mini-golf, and much more. Over the weekend the place was packed and there were many activities, especially for teens and children. This is an old campground and that is quite apparent. The campsites are small, obviously planned before people traveled in the larger RVs of today. I tried three different campsites before I managed to get into one. Also, the roads are narrow and some are very steep. The “overnight” campground area has no sewer sites and power is 30 amps. The power and water hookups aren’t where you expect them to be. I had to get out a water hose I’d never used to reach water and I had to borrow an electric extension cord from the campground to reach the electric. Then, over the hot weekend, the voltage kept dropping below 102 volts which caused my trusty surge guard to shut the camper’s electric down. Once the weather cooled, the electric settled down. If you have a small camper you’ll love coming to this resort. If you have a bigger one, try to arrive on Sunday-Wednesday when there are plenty of campsites, then, in the overnight area, head for the first two roads up from the lake for the best chances of getting a site you can get in to and that will be somewhat level. The farther up the hill you go, the harder it will be to find a spot. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
September 2012
The reason I gave it an 8 is due to the season. The weather was only so so and peak season was over so we can only evaluate what was available. It is a private campground, part of the Coast to Coast and Resorts of Distinction networks. This is an old park but it is obvious the owners are working to improve it. We were told that it has changed ownership quite a few times over the last 5 to 10 years. There are a ton of things to do weather permitting. The activity list was unreliable due to people not showing up. The staff was awesome, very friendly and helpful. Very accommodating. Children and adults alike would be able to find something to do non-stop all day long. I was even impressed at all the activities scheduled this late in the year. There was an indoor pool and hot tub which was great. The adult lounge and game room were closed while they were setting up for an upcoming haunted house for October 8th, which I found to be a bit early and wondered why they had to shut down on a Saturday to start doing it while they still had quite a few campers here. You have a lot of choices for sites. Everything from full sun to complete shade. We had to change our site due to some standing water from a rain shower, they said no problem just look around and pick what ever you would like and let us know where, to be sure it isn't booked. There are mostly seasonal sites but they are all are very well maintained. The guest sites are pretty much in one section of the park. Of course home park members have the choice of the prime sections around the lake. We visited this park as Resorts of Distinction members, which is why the nightly rate of $1 (the form wouldn't let me put $0). Hope they are successful with new memberships because this park has awesome potential. It's great as it is, but with continued maintenance it could become a top notch resort. We read other reviews and went prepared with longer hoses and electric cables. We used them so it didn't create a problem for us. If you have short hoses and cords, it could create a big problem due to the placement of the hook ups. We will return to this park. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
August 2012
Even with no sewer hookups I rate this park very high. It is a private campground and is huge. The people running the park are friendly and helpful and they lead you to a site if you have not been here before. The sites are the biggest we have been in and there is lots of grass and trees. This is a Resorts of Distinction Park and we do not pay but I had to list a $ amount. As it was Labor Day weekend we could not stay here as long as we had hoped. This is Amish country and that is fun to see. We will stay here again. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
Display older reviews for Allegany Mountain Resort