Nearby Hamlin, New York (Air Miles)
4828 Lake Rd S

9   8   8   7   5   8
no  yes  yes  yes  yes  yes
no  yes  yes  yes  yes  yes
August 2011
This is a gorgeous park. I normally don't review campgrounds unless they strike me as exceptionally good or bad. This park is beautiful. It is a lateral park along Lake Ontario. It's BIG. Rather than having a small lake front and then deeper park, this park is long. There are many sections of beachfront with a paved bike/hiking path. Beyond the beachfront there is a long section of greenway with willows and pines and other trees. The grounds remind me of a golf course with manicured lawns. Beyond the greenway are the camping loops. There are 6 camping loops: 3 are dedicated to campers with pets and 3 without. The campsites are nestled in the woods with trees and brush around each site giving you a private feel. There are several "comfort" stations nestled in each loop so a person is never far from one. At the end of each loop is a garbage and recycling bins. There is a campstore and laundry area in the middle of the 6 loops. I would have given this park a 10 except there is only 15 amp electrical. Like a previous poster this park should update its electrical. Each site does not have water although water spigots are numerous around each loop. During our stay we noted many 5th wheels, travel trailers, class C motorhomes and popups (along with tents). Unfortunately I don't feel this park would be big rig friendly. But all in all, it definitely is a great park, with a beautiful view and landscaping and upkeep. Definitely would return again. We camped here in a Motorhome.
July 2011
Hamlin was nice, and the neat thing was that there really was no need to leave the park at all. Considering it was a State Park, I felt the bathrooms were pretty well kept. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
July 2011
Having now visited 25 New York state parks over the past 5 years, I can safely say that Hamlin Beach would easily rank in my top 5. But then I'm partial toward campgrounds that overlook large bodies of water and have sites that are fully shaded and quiet. I also have a soft spot in my heart for campgrounds that offer non-pet loops and Hamlin has four. Like most other NY parks, it only offers electric. hookups -- no water or sewer. With only 30 amp service, we had to refrain from using the electric water heater, microwave and A/C at the same time, during a record breaking heat wave. Restrooms, as well as the electrical circuits, need to be updated. Hot water is spotty and shower stalls are cramped, even dingy looking. Access paths to the restrooms are not well designed, tempting campers to take shortcuts through other camp sites. The staff seems very cordial, and the park store is quite nice. Overall, I think it's well worth a return visit. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for Hamlin Beach State Park