Nearby Salamanca, New York (Air Miles)
Seneca Allegany 777 Seneca Allegany Blvd. Salamanca Ny 14779 716-945-3200 (Located To Street)
Seneca-Iroquois National

yes (Stream)
7   7   5   10
no  no  question  yes
no  no  question  yes
First time to this park. Sites very close and hard to get into with bigger rigs. We had the stream behind us and we were on a slant the whole time and at times felt like we would fall into the stream. It was especially rainy when we were there and the rain made a stream right through the site with rushing water. Amazing park with lots to see and do. Pick up the weekly activity sheet and kids had choices of where/what to do and ranger led activities. Never short on something to do. Obviously, it would be awesome if state parks would get water and sewer hookups. We did see bears, not at our campsite but driving around. You just have to be smart about not keeping food outside and you will be fine. Next time would like to stay on Quaker side, seems like not as crowded and bigger sites. Wi-Fi only at main administration building and that was hit or miss but at least it was available if needed. Beautiful scenery. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
June 2009
Lots of hiking, playground for the children. Fishing, tennis. Over all great time. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
May 2007
The Red House area is beautiful. The campground, on the other hand, has problems. We camped for 3 days. The first night a group of younger tent campers arrived at the site next to ours in the "E" loop. They partied and carried on until midnight. I checked the campground rules and it stated no noise after 10pm and no amplified music of any kind. These folks had a radio going full blast. The second day we stopped at the police station at the Administration building and told them about the problem. They said they would have a policeman drive around that evening to check it out. Well, the same thing happened that night and lasted until midnight. I don't think an officer ever traveled through all evening because if he had, he would have heard the noise and put an end to it. One other thing...The voltage at the 15 amp outlet at the site war extremely low, sometimes as low as 95 volts. I was worried about the electronics in my coach, so I unplugged the shore power and ran on the inverter instead. I was disappointed with the campground. The electrical system needs an upgrade and the police need to patrol the areas more. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for Allegany State Park / Red House Area
August 2009

9   10   8   6
yes  yes  no  yes
yes  yes  no  yes
August 2009
Allegheny State Park has always been one of my favorites. My parents brought me camping here as a child, and my children love to come here as well. The Quaker Lake area (Cain Hollow) would be my pick over the Red House area. The Red House area is beautiful, but the campground is much busier. There are often loud parties, and larger groups on that side. I do love to go there during the day, and it is only about a 15 minutes drive (if you go back out onto route 86). Cain Hollow is older, and not the favorite of many. The bathroom facilities are getting older, but a few have been rebuilt. One reviewer stated that the sites were out in the open. That is only true of loop A. There are some fully-shaded sites in the other loops. I actually do not prefer loop A for that reason. You feel like you are camping out in a field. Don't let that sway you from staying here. The other loops are shaded. There are many sites that are right next to a stream (creek). These are the favorites of my children. I pity the poor crayfish when we show up. My children just love them to death. This state park has an abundance of planned family activities. There is a sheet of activities each week. My children have done many of these activities and all of the naturalists are wonderful. I must say that Allegheny has spoiled me. When I go to other state parks I wonder why they do not have many activities. Aside from the planned activities, there are many other things to do. There are rocks to climb, two beautiful beaches, geocaching, many hiking trails, fishing, boat rentals at Red House beach, mini golf, and of course ice cream! We camped here in a Tent Trailer.
July 2009
You can't get any better than camping at ASP. I've been going there every year for 45 years when I went there with my parents and took my own kids through the years. And if gas was too much money (as it was some years) to spend on the rig, cabin camping was always dirt cheap there. I have never seen such good rates on cabins as at ASP. We've gone there in tents, RVs and rented the cabins through the years. It is non-stop activity for the kids there. Outdoor movies under the stars. Nature hikes and walks with real naturalists. Star gazing with experts. There is lake swimming, fishing, boating, creek walking and loads of other sports. The kids love the creeks and collecting the craw fish. More than once, they have forgotten them overnight in their containers outside on the picnic table...only to find the raccoons made away with their specimens with only muddy paw prints left behind to convict them. Ah, the cycle of life. Our favorite is the Quaker side because it is less busy there. No pool. Long ago there was Fanchier pool, the coldest spring fed pool this side of the North pole, but its space now is filled in and a volleyball court put in its place. There is a lake for swimming on the Quaker side and on the Red House side. Everyone is so friendly, and many are like me and have made ASP not just an RV space in the vast sea of places to go, but after all these years, ASP is a part of my life. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
August 2008
We stayed in the Quaker Area - Cain Hollow sites 12 & 13 from August 2-4 2008 with friends. This is an excellent campground. The Cain Hollow area is beautiful with fantastic views of the surrounding Allegheny Mountains. Just a warning that most of the sites are in direct sun throughout the day. The outside sites bordering on the bush have shade in the AM. Normally we like having lots of shade but didn't mind these sites as there always seemed to be a good breeze blowing through the campground. The beach area was great and a hit with all the children in the group. It's only a 5 minute drive from the campground. Kids also loved the numerous playgrounds, bear cave hike, and Quaker General Store for ice cream. Our group went to the Red House Lodge for lunch one afternoon - not bad. The bathrooms/shower facilities are dated and need upgrading - that prevented me from scoring the park higher. Good State Park. We camped here in a Tent Trailer.
Display older reviews for Allegheny State Park / Quaker Lake Area
June 2011

5   8   10   9   6   2   9
question  yes  question  yes  question  question  yes
question  yes  question  yes  question  question  yes
June 2011
OK for an overnight stay, no amenities or things to do at park. Owner friendly, grass mowed, no trees. Right on highway and there is traffic noise. We stayed here because Allegany state park said they could not accommodate a rig our size, which we found later was not true. The state park is much nicer and would stay there next time. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
October 2010
Campsites are on grass, hookups and access great. Some muddy areas in the rain, but not too bad. Owners very helpful and friendly, work hard to keep area clean and neat. Wi-Fi was weak, but worked--some sites better than others. Bridge out between park and interstate, so call ahead for directions. Would stay here again. We camped here in a Motorhome.
June 2010
Owner was very friendly and helpful. I told her what we wanted to do in the area, and she printed out directions and provided a map. The campground is an open field with full hookups, and it appears that most sites are pull-through. We had the park to ourselves on Sunday night. Good location for seeing Ellicottville, Alleghany State Park and Zippo/Case tour. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for Elkdale RV Resort